Marriage Visa Or Retirement Visa.

There is no "marriage" visa, its an extension based on being married to a Thai.

The marriage extension is linked to the wife, no wife no viisa, that could pose an issue if the relationship ended.

This class of visa also requires Bangkok approval and takes 30 days "under consideration" until issued. This visa usually requires more evidence and often a home visit etc. In short more hoops to jump through, but less financial requirement.

The extention based on Retirement is easier, faster, and has nothing to do with the wife. Financial requirements higher. Issued on the spot.

• Like 1

True or false?

The legislature is currently reviewing a proposal from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to allow all foreign visitors the ability to apply for a “Multiple Visa” which would allow visitors to stay for six months for 2,000 baht or one year for 3,000 baht. The details of the visa have yet to be revealed but the Ministry is hoping that the legislature will approve the proposal by Chinese New Year next month. The Association of Thai Travel Agents believes that while the project would definitely help facilitate tourists’ stay, they are unsure if it would actually bring more visitors to Thailand.

http://sunbeltasia.com/contents.aspx?pa ... a9978b22cb

Half the money in the bank and 25k baht less income is one advantage.

You can get a work permit and work with an extension based upon marriage.

You just have to ask yourself if a few more documents and having to make an extra trip to immigration is worth the extra financial proof needed for the the extension based upon retirement. After doing 7 extensions based upon marriage it is not worth it to me.

If you have an income from abroad, for a marriage extension you need ฿40,000 a month, for a retirement extension you need ฿65,000 a month. Both require a letter from your embassy verifying, the income, both allow you to get a work permit. A marriage visa requires extra documentation and two trips to the immigration office, thus if you are using a monthly income as your source of money, and you qualify for the retirement extension, too me there is no advantage going the marriage extension route and a few disadvantages, thus even though I qualify for both, I use the retirement extension.

• Like 1

True or false?

The legislature is currently reviewing a proposal from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to allow all foreign visitors the ability to apply for a “Multiple Visa” which would allow visitors to stay for six months for 2,000 baht or one year for 3,000 baht. The details of the visa have yet to be revealed but the Ministry is hoping that the legislature will approve the proposal by Chinese New Year next month. The Association of Thai Travel Agents believes that while the project would definitely help facilitate tourists’ stay, they are unsure if it would actually bring more visitors to Thailand.

http://sunbeltasia.com/contents.aspx?pa ... a9978b22cb

See: Ministry of Foreign Affairs proposes Multiple Visa, 1 Year 3000 thb - Sunbelt Asia

No need for a discussion in this topic.

Some local immigration offices will try to push guys over age 50 into getting retirement extensions vs. marriage extensions. Less work for them.

What happened to that story that Jomtiem was going to start requiring everyone over age 50 with a marriage extension to prove their marriage had produced a natural born child?

If you have an income from abroad, for a marriage extension you need ฿40,000 a month, for a retirement extension you need ฿65,000 a month. Both require a letter from your embassy verifying, the income, both allow you to get a work permit. A marriage visa requires extra documentation and two trips to the immigration office, thus if you are using a monthly income as your source of money, and you qualify for the retirement extension, too me there is no advantage going the marriage extension route and a few disadvantages, thus even though I qualify for both, I use the retirement extension.

Can not get work permit on retirement extension