US officially asks Thailand to recall her contaminated apples

Lite Beer

US officially asks Thailand to recall her contaminated apples

17-1-2558-11-40-50-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has formally notified Thailand's Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives of contaminated apple from the US and asked Thai authorities to re-call apple imports from the markets due to bacterial contamination.

However the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives has inspected the cargos from the USA and has not found any contamination in the shipments to Thailand.

Deputy director-general of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives Mr Wimol Jantarothai disclosed the US notification after inspecting the apple shipments from the USA from six importers namely Fiesta Fruit, MB Fresh International, Paramount Export, United Fruit, Voita Systas and Dovax Export.

According to the Ministry, none of the mentioned companies had imported the two brands of apples that were reported to contain bacterial contamination.

He also declared that the Thai public may continue consuming apples worry free.

Meanwhile with regard to the shipment of apples that have been impounded at the Laem Chabang Warehouse, the Ministry has confirmed that this cargo also did not include the two brands (Granny Smith and Gala) but is pending formal testing by the Thai FDA.

Thai Food and Drug Administration deputy secretary-general Prapon Angtrakoon stated that the ground bacteria which contaminated apples as announced by the US FDA causes Listeriosis; a bacterial infection which primarily causes infections of the central nervous system (meningitis, meningoencephalitis, brain abscess, cerebritis) and bacteremia in those who are immunocompromised,[2] pregnant women, and those at the extremes of age (newborns and the elderly), as well as gastroenteritis in healthy persons. Symptoms of Listeriosis are muscle aches, fever and gastrointestinal symptoms.

Mr Prapon, however, commented that the possibility of infection of Listeriosis in the Kingdom is low as most Thai consumers wash and peel apples before consumption which minimises infection.

To be on the safe side, it is recommended that apples be washed with clean water for 2-3 minutes and peeled.

He also stated that although the impounded cargo does not include the two brand of apples, the shipment will still be inspected for any disease and bacterial contamination per the Thai FDA’s policy.

It is expected that the results of the inspection will be available within 3-7 days.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-officially-asks-thailand-recall-contaminated-apples

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-17

America:

The apples we gave you could kill someone

Thailand:

Nah. In my twisted imagination I need to somehow save face by just ignoring your warning about your own product. hashtagThainess

Arrogance. Sheer arrogance on the part of Thai health authorities.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

why does Thailand not grow their own apples - in fact there are probably many fruits and veg that Thailand could be growing rather than importing as they have the climate

The climate for starters ( it is tropical not sub temperate) the fruit sometimes needs a setting temperature of maybe 14 days straight say at 16c that's why tomatoes are small if grown outside.

The Missus and I buy apples every week to eat and never had a problem. She does wash and core each apple into slices and places the slices into a bowl of purified water and a pinch of salt to rest for about 2-3 minutes before consuming. Never had a problem. She soaks the same with a pinch of salt for Black Grapes that come from India. No problem with them either. In all actuality, we have never had any problem with any fruit She purchases, perhaps due to the fact She hand selects each piece, except the 3 Kg bags of oranges/tangerines that She purchases, that originate from China. Who knows? Lucky Perhaps? thumbsup.gif

The bad apples come from a company that did not ship to Thailand - they just checked them anyway - and the warning was sent to everyone in case they did end up here somehow.

"He also stated that although the impounded cargo does not include the two brand of apples, the shipment will still be inspected for any disease and bacterial contamination per the Thai FDA’s policy."

Most apples are washed at packing because of the use of paraquat and most orchards have warning signs not to eat apples from the trees so always washing them again won't hurt.

• Like 2

why does Thailand not grow their own apples - in fact there are probably many fruits and veg that Thailand could be growing rather than importing as they have the climate

what are you talking about? Thailand is much too warm for growing apples just like say Switzerland is too cold for growing coconuts. Each country produces what they have a competitive advantage in. And frankly with the exception of this outbreak American grown produce is generally very safe and trustworthy. Unlike most thai fruits and vegetables which are pumped full of hormones or laced with formaline to prevent decay and increase shelf life.
  • Like 1

I wonder the same in the UK. They have some of the best apples in the world, yet they import inferior quality apples.

For Thailand, I guess there are many farangs that are frightened to eat Thai food, so better for them to eat contaminated US apples.

what are you talking about? Thailand is much too warm for growing apples just like say Switzerland is too cold for growing coconuts. Each country produces what they have a competitive advantage in. And frankly with the exception of this outbreak American grown produce is generally very safe and trustworthy. Unlike most thai fruits and vegetables which are pumped full of hormones or laced with formaline to prevent decay and increase shelf life.

i am quit sure you could grow some kinds in the Chiang Mai area . But is it worth the trouble when you can import them for cheap ?

Can you believe this. The USA government asks/tells the Thais that they have bought or potentially imported a dangerous products and the Thai answer is "Mai bpen arai, we wash our apples".

What is a brain abcess between friends.....

Um, could we ask the Thai FDA to please get these apples off the market if it isnt too much hassle. I mean what else do they have to do?

Too Lazy trying to make (take), (scam), as much money NOW......forget about tomorrow.......or our childrens future.

Damn..I love apples

The apples we get here in Thailand are bland, sour, hard, and not worth the baht, in my opinion. only thing to do with them is cook them down with sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg and use as a condiment for nice pork chops. I cant eat them raw. Not after the apples I grew up with in North America, where they are delicious, particularly in autumn.

• Like 1