Fury as Indonesia executes foreigners by firing squad

Lite Beer

They don't care when Indonesians get executed, but when it's foreigners, it's a big deal?

Indonesia has probably the toughest drugs law in the world. Why smuggle there? Even Thailand is more lenient. Why not the EU, or South America?

They choose Indonesia. Didn't they Google Indonesia's punishment on this (if they didn't already know).

Sorry, but little sympathy. People act like drug crimes aren't a big deal, but there is probably nothing else that causes such widespread problems and further crimes.

• Like 1

Looks like your system is working. SMH facepalm.gif

Ignorant people with power is very dangerous. Makes me shocked that people don't face scientific facts about drug addicts and drugs. People addicted to drugs can not control themselves. It's a genetic condition. Not a choice. The people that may want help are forced to hide their addiction for fear of their lives.

Some people are too stubborn to realize when they're wrong. They are fighting a losing battle. Time to go back to the war room fools.

These countries should be officially punished for their barbarism

Some kind of trade sanction which forces their economy back to the stone age would get their attention.

The EU is very good at the sanction game.

The EU is a joke.

Only US has the power to cripple any country it wants, the EU? They are losers.

These countries should be officially punished for their barbarism

Some kind of trade sanction which forces their economy back to the stone age would get their attention.

The EU is very good at the sanction game.

The EU is a joke.

Only US has the power to cripple any country it wants, the EU? They are losers.

Naive to the extreme.

• Like 1

Capital punishment is outlawed in most civil countries as it should be, guess we have a lot of trolls around from uncivilised places. Executions will never stop the hardened criminals from still committing offenses, look at statistics.

I think the death penalty is too harsh, and is only used in hopes of deterring people from trying to do so. However, it is not working as we can see people are getting caught all the time.

However, Indonesia does make it quite clear that if you sell drugs you will be put to death. These people were aware of the stakes and rolled the dice, but I think they might have thought they have special privileges because of them being foreign.

I don't have a lot of compassion, but I do think the death penalty is too heavy for drug smugglers. I used to be a little less compassionate, but I now know 1 person who is sitting on death row in Indonesia. She was only an acquaintance, but I feel for her husband and children.

and I don't have a lot of compassion for those who jump to make judgements from the comfort of their armchair. Most of these poor buggers are just mules, and before anyone starts in with " they knew what they were doing".....you should think back to not so long ago when airports had bag wrapping machines for your luggage so that you wouldn't get caught as a mule and hung or shot.

None of these people that were shot would even be thought of by those that make the money.

They will only think of lost product, not lost lives. They don't care.

It is easier, however, to catch mules and make a big public fuss.

It gives all the sheep something to talk about.

It's a bit like Thailand banning shisha and all of the BS they used to do it, yet the sheep believed.

All I can say it............."thanks for the fish".

"...However a spokesman for the office of Indonesia’s attorney general, Tony Spontana, insisted the executions were in line with Indonesian law..."

Well then it certainly must be OK since it's the law. What asinine logic. And all those SS troops under Hitler had every right to kill millions because Hitler said it was OK. Humm, but maybe the law is barbaric or maybe the people making these laws are insane. Drugs are no reason to execute someone...EVER.

I do support the death penalty for brutal and premeditated murderers. I have zero sympathy for these people, but drug smuggling is not even close to murder.

So many countries in this world are still living in caves.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 2

I don't agree with the death penalty for drug charges unless perhaps it involves deaths from drug violence. For once I would like to see some high level people getting caught and sentenced to the same harsh punishments as the small timers that are probably setting up by the big boys to provide the police with a diversionary bust so that the larger shipments can get through and the police can portray the image of doing a good job of trying to stop the drug trade instead of being part of it.

• Like 1

Why don't the same people get "furious" about the thousands of ruined lives including multiple deaths that drug dealers cause?

Not intending to support the 'Death Penalty' in my statement... just noticing the hypocrisy that's all!!

Drugs ruin lives. They knew that.

So does alcohol, vehicles, tobacco, weapons, chips and cakes. I'm not saying that drugs aren't dangerous, but I'm stating that the far majority of drug users are recreational users, not addicts - just like in the case of alcohol. If drugs were legalized, I think we'd see completely different usage patterns. The punishments are completely off balance.

This comes from a person that does NOT use drugs apart from cigarettes, coffee and alcohol, although I've done my very light experiments in my youth.

"...However a spokesman for the office of Indonesia’s attorney general, Tony Spontana, insisted the executions were in line with Indonesian law..."

Well then it certainly must be OK since it's the law. What asinine logic. And all those SS troops under Hitler had every right to kill millions because Hitler said it was OK. Humm, but maybe the law is barbaric or maybe the people making these laws are insane. Drugs are no reason to execute someone...EVER.

I do support the death penalty for brutal and premeditated murderers. I have zero sympathy for these people, but drug smuggling is not even close to murder.

So many countries in this world are still living in caves.

I just love "Laws". They must be OK right?

Here's a recent example of what "Law Makers" do, but...but...but we MUST OBEY.

They remind me of the original Planet of The Apes movie, where they have a "Giver of The Law".

=========================================

• United States of America

Congress aims to address costly legislation--with more costly legislation

A bill passed by the House this week has the noble intention of requiring federal agencies to estimate the cost of regulations. It's unbelievable that they currently don't have to think about costs at all before they regulate, though that certainly helps to explain the government's $18 trillion debt.

Unfortunately this issue is being dealt with in the only way Congress knows how--with more regulation. The new legislation imposes more than 60 new analytical requirements on proposed regulation, and the only real consequence for rules calculated to be expensive is that they will have to hold public hearings before they can go forward. This is just about as useless of a solution to a problem imaginable.

Obama wants legislation to encourage government and private sector information sharing about cyber threats

This is essentially a means of tapping into the private sector to assist in state efforts to monitor and track the population. The president has been pushing this for years and is now using the Sony data hacks as impetus to drive things forward.

This is part of a growing trend in government and private sector information sharing. Recently CNN was allowed by the FAA to use camera equipped drones for news as long as they share the collected data with the government.

• European Union

UK's NHS is removing nine cancer drugs from their list because they're too expensive

Just as there's no such thing as a free lunch, there's no such thing as free healthcare. Even when healthcare is taken out of the marketplace and put in the hands of the government, it doesn't mean that market constraints are surpassed. The difference in this case is that it's not up to you if a drug is worth the cost--bureaucrats decide for you.

Only 45% of UK pensioners will receive promised amounts in first 5 years of the new system

It's not just the UK's National Health Service that's broke, the pension system is struggling as well.

In recent years, even though recipients had no say in the matter, adjustments were made to how pension payments will be made. It was just revealed that for the first 5 years only 45% of pensioners will get the full amount of the new flat-rate pensions that they were promised.

Again, the social contract is being torn, with officials emboldened by the fact that seniors can't do much about it.

Spanish government surprises property buyers with a sneaky tax code change

The struggling Spanish housing market was just pulling itself up by offering good deals to attract foreign investors. Seeing an opportunity to squeeze as much tax revenue as possible, the desperate Spanish government is now surprising these new real estate buyers with a change in the tax code.

Now the Impuesto de Transmisiones Patrimoniales (ITP), calculates the amount of taxation due based on the government's estimates of the houses' values and not on the actual sales prices.

European Commission aims to put an end to tax havens in the region

The European Commission has announced that it is planning to investigate the tax practices of all Member States to ensure that they are not breaching State Aid rules, which pertain to special assistance to individual corporations.

This will be a major upset to firms in the region who have structured themselves and operate particularly in accordance with the tax rulings in their countries and may find that the rules are suddenly considered invalid.

Citizens in rural Denmark encouraged to have more babies in order to keep public services open

Birth rates have been so low and emigration so high in rural parts of Denmark that it's not cost-effective to maintain public services in places anymore.

Rather than taking the hint and adjusting to the changing times, they have turned to strange campaigns like that toencourage people to have more babies in order to make the continuation of public services worthwhile.

LESSONS FROM THE PAST

Two years ago on this day the internet protested against the US government.

Coordinated efforts between a number of major websites posed opposition to two proposed laws in the United States Congress at the time: the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA).

Because of the exposure given to these bills 3 million people emailed Congress in a single day to express opposition to the bills. More than 1 million messages were sent to Congress through the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a petition at Google recorded over 4.5 million signatures, and overall more than 10 million voters contacted their Congressmen to express their opposition to the bills.

This is a remarkable lesson in the potential power of the people over government action. It's important to keep in mind the fact that a greater number of people would be upset by major websites going offline than the government shutting down.

Saudi (A close ally of the US) if believe what you read carries out the death sentence for more often & far more brutally in public

nearly every day. Hardly raises a whimper.

Indonesia law is very clear & if you still wish to flaunt the rules by drug smuggling at a level "for supply"

you must be prepared to pay with your life

People who chose to run the risks associated with the trafficking of drugs in countries that openly advise of the associated penalties will just have to accept the consequences when they caught.

There's little or no mention made of the 50 - 70 young Indonesians who die each WEEK from illegal drugs. That's up to 3500 in a year.

Hopefully, the message will get through to drug traffickers.

Drugs ruin lives. They knew that.

Drugs dont ruin lives.

People ruin lives.

Weak people ruin their lives with drugs.

Governments would be wise to snuff out all life associated with drug production, drug sales, drug transportation, drug use.

Simple. ;)