Over 50? Too old to teach says the agent

simon43

I saw an advert on Craigslist for an English teacher required at the government Mathayom school in my district. My stepdaughter attends this school and tells me that the parents have all paid money to hire this teacher for 4 hours each weekday.

Since my hotel business gives me plenty of spare time and since I have been teaching both ESL and Homeroom for quite a few years, and, and... I applied for the job, which specifically mentions class sizes of 40-45 students and the provision of an assistant to 'discipline' the students. (In other words, a typical, large class of teenagers who will probably respond better to a mature, male, experienced teacher - I'm 55 years old).

So I applied and was rejected at the first hurdle for being over 50 years old :)

I think I'll bypass the agent and apply direct.

• Like 2

Totally off topic but I just wanted to say that I heard your interview on 89.5 last week and enjoyed your life story. You seem like a well spoken, articulate fellow with a heart of gold despite some major setbacks in life on Phuket.

Refreshing to see someone not jaded and negative after all your time here.

Keep on keeping on.

Totally off topic but I just wanted to say that I heard your interview on 89.5 last week and enjoyed your life story. You seem like a well spoken, articulate fellow with a heart of gold despite some major setbacks in life on Phuket.

Keep on keeping on.

A quick off topic question in regards to your post - can a replay of that interview be heard, possibly via internet stream?

Back on topic, seeking a new employer, when over 50 years of age, is difficult in western countries as well.

This issue is not just in Thailand.

• Like 1

can a replay of that interview be heard, possibly via internet stream?

The radio station told me that this is not available. I didn't record it myself because my 55 year-old brain couldn't remember the date of airing...

Hans - thanks for the compliment, which confirms that at least 1 person listens to that radio station.

Getting a job at 50 is not easy in any country. Apparently, this vacancy specifies no applicant to be over 50 years old. I'll consider it their loss and go back to relaxing in my hammock.

That's too bad Simon.

I can tell you that older teacher's are desirable and highly respected in Myanmar though.

• Like 2

Keep on keeping on.

Yes, I heard parts of the interview while driving. First half Saturday 10th January and the second half on the repeat Saturday 17th January.

I had not realised Simon was such a rich man with the sale of his software to a phone company.

I can tell you that older teacher's are desirable and highly respected in Myanmar though.

Yes, I taught in Yangon for 18 months - very enjoyable and a good salary. I was 'ordered' back to Phuket by the ex's smile.png

I had not realised Simon was such a rich man with the sale of his software to a phone company.

The emphasis is on 'was', as in past tense, ie- before I was married/divorced three times......

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

The radio station told me that this is not available. I didn't record it myself because my 55 year-old brain couldn't remember the date of airing...

Hans - thanks for the compliment, which confirms that at least 1 person listens to that radio station.

Getting a job at 50 is not easy in any country. Apparently, this vacancy specifies no applicant to be over 50 years old. I'll consider it their loss and go back to relaxing in my hammock.

"I didn't record it myself because my 55 year-old brain couldn't remember the date of airing..." - maybe best to give away teaching then. :)

Some schools will claim they cannot hire or get a work permit for teachers over 55. Others claim this is not true, but I have a feeling it is, because Thai teachers have a fairly young retirement age. If you don't need the money, I am sure some of the orphanages in the area would appreciate a free English teacher.

Hi Simon 43

Yes Simon

This very old chesnut keeps coming up and frankly we all know it stinks.

In my opinion the older teacher is more reliable, has more patience and often spend time out of school teaching not just High school children and prior kindergarten.

Also, yes I know little Thai and the so called LOL Director at the High School in Danmakhamtia, Kanchanaburi stated it did not matter and in any case last year often students of Thai and Phillipine teachers, often came up to me to explain what they have just been taught.!!!!

Infact amazingly enough the so called Head of Languages lol can not put together one single sentence of English, let alone proununciation and all the other ingredients for teaching English.

Yes unfortunately the age discrimination very much in effect in Thailand, but believe you me it also exists very much in the UK and the trouble is you get a 25 year old, who thinks that they know it all and yes IMHO the older teacher is so much more committed and infact has more stamina, than many people much younger. True it is a fact.

Yes I am a very young 64 years old and wanted to teach one more year and not for a huge salary, but the LOL so called "Director" cough, cough and do you know what he did not have one ounce of decency to inform me that I would be not be granted another contract and what a waste and you get this so called Native speaker from the Phillipines (no such thing) turning up when he feels like it and not even having his own classes ( well definately last year) or he had very very small classes and often had a Thai teacher in with him with lessons.

Yes was very very angry about this and yes wanted and loved the teaching and the children, but so few people want to learn.

But as the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make it drink, after it is full"

Finally I am still teaching at home and also do still help University students, when they ask me, but it sickens me, when teachers who are inferior and if you like crawlers or arselickers (yes it is in the Oxford Dictionary) manage to crawl to the Head of Department and Director. The last 2 at this school a real joke.

Cheers

John West

• Like 2

That's too bad Simon.

Can you elaborate on the Myanmar situation for older teachers?

• Like 1

Over 50 time to sit back in the rocking chair out on the veranda and enjoy the Alzheimer's years and just chill out with a beer or two leave the teaching to the young ones its their turn to enjoy teaching the next generation of Thai angels, the over 50s finished working in the UK no chance of changing a job unless its at B&Q

Hi Simon 43

Yes Simon

In my opinion the older teacher is more reliable, has more patience and often spend time out of school teaching not just High school children and prior kindergarten.

Also, yes I know little Thai and the so called LOL Director at the High School in Danmakhamtia, Kanchanaburi stated it did not matter and in any case last year often students of Thai and Phillipine teachers, often came up to me to explain what they have just been taught.!!!!

Infact amazingly enough the so called Head of Languages lol can not put together one single sentence of English, let alone proununciation and all the other ingredients for teaching English.

Yes unfortunately the age discrimination very much in effect in Thailand, but believe you me it also exists very much in the UK and the trouble is you get a 25 year old, who thinks that they know it all and yes IMHO the older teacher is so much more committed and infact has more stamina, than many people much younger. True it is a fact.

Yes I am a very young 64 years old and wanted to teach one more year and not for a huge salary, but the LOL so called "Director" cough, cough and do you know what he did not have one ounce of decency to inform me that I would be not be granted another contract and what a waste and you get this so called Native speaker from the Phillipines (no such thing) turning up when he feels like it and not even having his own classes ( well definately last year) or he had very very small classes and often had a Thai teacher in with him with lessons.

Yes was very very angry about this and yes wanted and loved the teaching and the children, but so few people want to learn.

But as the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make it drink, after it is full"

Finally I am still teaching at home and also do still help University students, when they ask me, but it sickens me, when teachers who are inferior and if you like crawlers or arselickers (yes it is in the Oxford Dictionary) manage to crawl to the Head of Department and Director. The last 2 at this school a real joke.

Cheers

John West

Something fishy there..

• Like 2

Ageism is alive and well in Asia and the Middle East! I too am an older teacher, currently working in Thailand. I can assure you and anyone else out there, that I am 100 times better at my profession now than I was 20- 30 years ago! And I have raised my own kids successfully (I hope). The problem is, many of the people employing teachers are too young to know the advantages of being mature. I know I'm not great at technology, but controlling a class of 45 kids requires experience, which you get from being "long in the tooth" and wise enough to manipulate young minds.

• Like 1

Never. I am 51 and landed my first teaching job this year here in Chiang Rai, although I do teach maths. Not every one is against older people, so OP don't be put off by the ones who are. This topic comes up regularly and it would seem there are many people a lot older than you and me who are taken on. Just a matter of being in the right place at right time, supply and demand, etc. I'd present my CV directly at the schools you're interested in. You could get a job at my school tomorrow if you presented well and had the right credentials.

PS - Ha ha, most people with (even a small) Union Jack on their flag would get your self-deprecation.

Hi Simon 43

Yes Simon

Cheers

John West

Something fishy there..
Explain what's fishy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not really the point but from my exposure at many Thai unis the majority of western / foreign lecturers here are 50 and quite a few a lot older (incl. me).

Hi Simon 43

Yes Simon

Cheers

John West

Something fishy there..
Explain what's fishy.
John west...biggest supplies of canned fished England ever knew..il get me coat..

I started full-time teaching in south-east Asia at the grand old age of 51, taking a break from building my hotels. In Myanmar, I taught ages from kindergarten up to adult, then moved on to Luang Prabang (Lao PDR) for a temporary Headmaster role, before returning to Phuket last year to build another small hotel.

It doesn't bother me too much that I'm rejected because of my age. I know my skills and it is their (and the students') loss. I'm doing OK with my hotels, so not begging on the street quite yet :)

I taught English 2012-2013 in Chiang Mai, when I was age 50-51. I taught students of all ages from kindergarten through adult, and my age was never an issue. There were several foreign teaachers older than me (both male and female) who were also getting their teaching assignments through my language school. I know that over-50 discrimination does happen, but there are plenty of schools out there who are happy to hire older teachers. Regarding difficulty of getting work permits over 55, that could be, but I haven't heard anything about it yet from my over-50 teacher friends in Chiang Mai. Keep looking, and good luck!

Angela

My daughter-in-law is a logistics manager with a major Thai corporation. She tells me it is difficult for Thai women to seek or change employment after 35. This is, of course, ageism, but other forms of discrimination are also rampant. Many of the anuban teaching jobs I have seen are advertized for women only. In some more physical jobs, age may play an important role. The school, or agent, may think a teacher over 50 would be too old to control rowdy teenagers. However, teaching should be a profession where experience enhances wisdom and willingness overcomes inexperience no matter the gender or age.

Find another agent. We had people working into their 60s where I worked. Go private. For the kee neeow salaries they pay plus the copious loads of BS, you couldn't pay me enough to work in a Thai public school. The idiots want 'young and dumb', over age and experience. Then they wonder why their English Language programs totally blows. coffee1.gif

Edited by connda

Hi everyone,

I'm 65 going on 66. My school recently had some, "big guns" from Kharusapha inspecting the schools credentials to implement an m.e.p. (mini English programme).I had the opportunity to speak with them. I asked them to explain what they thought of the fact that I am 65. They said that age is of no importance whatsoever. There are no restrictions on the WP either.

I also asked the questions that many teachers would like answers to. The "no fail" issue.The fundings for elementary level.The text books with poorly executed grammar. The answers I received were, to be honest quite encouraging but we shall see! I think that the powers that be are slowly waking up. I am retiring anyway but wish all you other teachers well.

• Like 2

Statutory retirement age in government schools is 60 so this sounds like the agency having its own rules. If they wish, individual schools can extend that for teachers they want to hang on to. A lot of 'third party' employers (agencies service providers etc) won't take you after age 59 because they can't get a work permit for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Statutory retirement age in government schools is 60 so this sounds like the agency having its own rules. If they wish, individual schools can extend that for teachers they want to hang on to. A lot of 'third party' employers (agencies service providers etc) won't take you after age 59 because they can't get a work permit for you.

So you need a work permit before 60 to have a teaching job after 60?