Commerce Ministry : Rice export for 2014 the highest in history

Lite Beer

Commerce Ministry : Rice export for 2014 the highest in history

1-19-2015-8-32-15-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand exported altogether 10.8 million tonnes of milled rice worth US$ 5.37 billion last year which was regarded as the highest amount in recent history, said Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarigalaya on Monday.

The 2014 rice export represented an increase of 64 percent in term of quantity and 22 percent in term of value compared to 6.6 million tonnes worth US$ 4.42 billion export in 2013.

As for this year, the minister said he expected Thailand to champion rice export with export figure between 10-11 million tonnes.

Total global rice output this year was estimated at 475.2 million tonnes, representing 0.3 percent drop from last year’s 476.9 million tonnes because of lower rice production in Thailand, India, Japan, Pakistan, Egypt, Sri Lanka and Nigeria.

Rice consumption for this year was estimated at 482.9 million tonnes or 7.7 million tonnes more than production. Hence, total rice export this year, estimated at 41.92 million tonnes, will be the highest in history.

Several rice importing countries such as China, Iran, Nigeria and the Philippines are expected to increase rice imports this year, said General Chatchai.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commerce-ministry-rice-export-2014-highest-history

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-19

I personally know a large grain wholesaler who won't buy Thai rice. He doesn't trust them and is afraid he'll get old stocks. (I've known him a long time because we sell wheat some of which is for domestic use and some may be exported - up to him.)

How refreshing to finally read some positive news. No word of farmer suicides, protesting farmers, farmers being intimidated by the party that the farmers voted for, no fake deals, no self combusting rice. None of that.

Only good news. I see a good future for Thai rice farmers. Especially the ones that were too poor to qualify for the scheme. The ones the PTP said the scheme was supposed to be helping.

This actually coincides with the entrance of the future pin up boy of the rice world in Thailand. This guy funded a project designed to directly help the poor and no one else. It is non profit so this guy will not get a cent from it, but will get the satisfaction of knowing that he is helping the same farmers that some held in contempt. The best part is it is designed to be self sustainable. So with that type of description one can be assured it is not a PTP minister. Thats right. He is a DEM.

The companies name is 'Kaset Khem Kaeng". The mans name is Korn he started a non-profit organization that offered sustainable farming and allowed the farmers to receive fair compensation for their produce. It won't help anyone at the next election because it is sustainable. There will be no need to throw money at any farmers at any election because it will be self sustainable. The project started in one small village in Mahasarakham province, which is one of the poorest provinces in Thailand and I look forward to seeing them prosper. Of course some would hope it fails because they put a certain party ahead farmers sustainable prosperity.

djjamie...what are you doing posting such positive news on this board. Don't you know the TV rules yet as per the majority of posters that you have to be a naysayer, have a negative view on Thailand and everything about Thailand, that you are only allowed to criticise, put down, ridicule, detest and disdain everything thai as a superior westerner. Jeez djjamie...please detest from posting positive items, providing positive input, suggesting solutions or giving positive thoughts or giving credit to Thailand and their reformists as it is just not done on this board.

Only comment I would make is I would change the "finally" read some positive news to "more" positive news but then I think in the context of the item you were referring to rice only as opposed to right across the board where their is positive news galore. But then the naysayers lose that insight in the few titbits they get thrown where for example Prayuth loses his cool at some idiotic reporter.

• Like 1

How refreshing to finally read some positive news. No word of farmer suicides, protesting farmers, farmers being intimidated by the party that the farmers voted for, no fake deals, no self combusting rice. None of that.

Only good news. I see a good future for Thai rice farmers. Especially the ones that were too poor to qualify for the scheme. The ones the PTP said the scheme was supposed to be helping.

This actually coincides with the entrance of the future pin up boy of the rice world in Thailand. This guy funded a project designed to directly help the poor and no one else. It is non profit so this guy will not get a cent from it, but will get the satisfaction of knowing that he is helping the same farmers that some held in contempt. The best part is it is designed to be self sustainable. So with that type of description one can be assured it is not a PTP minister. Thats right. He is a DEM.

The companies name is 'Kaset Khem Kaeng". The mans name is Korn he started a non-profit organization that offered sustainable farming and allowed the farmers to receive fair compensation for their produce. It won't help anyone at the next election because it is sustainable. There will be no need to throw money at any farmers at any election because it will be self sustainable. The project started in one small village in Mahasarakham province, which is one of the poorest provinces in Thailand and I look forward to seeing them prosper. Of course some would hope it fails because they put a certain party ahead farmers sustainable prosperity.

djjamie...what are you doing posting such positive news on this board. Don't you know the TV rules yet as per the majority of posters that you have to be a naysayer, have a negative view on Thailand and everything about Thailand, that you are only allowed to criticise, put down, ridicule, detest and disdain everything thai as a superior westerner. Jeez djjamie...please detest from posting positive items, providing positive input, suggesting solutions or giving positive thoughts or giving credit to Thailand and their reformists as it is just not done on this board.

Only comment I would make is I would change the "finally" read some positive news to "more" positive news but then I think in the context of the item you were referring to rice only as opposed to right across the board where their is positive news galore. But then the naysayers lose that insight in the few titbits they get thrown where for example Prayuth loses his cool at some idiotic reporter.

Actually I thought the TV posters were supposed to analyze and look for loopholes and recall other important facts that always seem to be left out as well as showing the good and the bad since there is ALWAYS bad with the good. In most cases in Thailand the bad is covered up, forgotten, or hidden or outright lied about. So it begs to wonder why djamie is leaving all that out. Even some of it. Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 1

You have to remember that in the previous three years the annual rice crop was mostly stored rather than sold as it should have been.

Now, in 2014, we had the export crop once again being sold plus some of the stored rice which is suspect. That suspicion drags the price down.

The fact that the previous administration sold poor quality rice to some countries, some of which was dumped, some returned and one country Iran, refused to buy any more.

This lost the country its previous credibility as a producer of a high quality product that attracted a higher price.

Now the country has to work hard to get back the reputation it used to enjoy.

This must be done in spite of having to get rid of the stored rice, the best of which has been and will be sold first, meaning that from now on each sale will be of lower quality and therefor a lower price will be expected and must be accepted.

The one who liked to do all the numbers should be aware that the rice that was sold by PT in 2011,2012 and 2013 was mostly Hom Mali which attracts a higher price with the lower grades mostly stored. That which was sold outside the scheme was all new seasons rice again at new seasons prices.

It should also be noted that the numbers quoted in the OP come from reputable organisations outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

x ton $ Year Baht ($*30)
10.800.000 5.370.000.000 2014 161.100.000.000
6.600.000 4.420.000.000 2013 132.600.000.000
2014 dollar/ton = 497,22

2013 dollar/ton = 669,69

price loss per ton = 172,47 dollar/ton -5.174

in % = -25,75%

loss based on the amount =

4.200.000 * -172,47 = -724.393.939$ -21.731.818.182 Baht

Not good naa!

The significantly-lower price-per-ton in 2014 would IMO probably reflect the poor quality of the long-stored stocks, which are now starting to be sold-off, as the backlog starts to be cleared.

It will be years before the problem stocks are completely disposed-of, and Thai rice has a chance of fetching a better price based on renewed good-quality, once more. sad.png

• Like 1

Good news that the Govt is getting some sort of return on their rice stocks but here is another angle on the fallout.

My wife's family are rice farmers and same as everyone has been asked not to grow another crop this season.

Their neighbour however started to prepare his paddy for another crop. Next day a car load of soldiers arrived and told him in no uncertain terms to stop! He has effectively had his income cut by 50% as he only crops twice a year.

Edited by apetley

Good news that the Govt is getting some sort of return on their rice stocks but here is another angle on the fallout.

My wife's family are rice farmers and same as everyone has been asked not to grow another crop this season.

Their neighbour however started to prepare his paddy for another crop. Next day a car load of soldiers arrived and told him in no uncertain terms to stop! He has effectively had his income cut by 50% as he only crops twice a year.

And this is where thinking ahead, planning and diversification comes in. I've mentioned before one of my friends up north ... their family have halved their rice fields and diversified into various multiple other crops plus fish farming. They're not suffering.

This is what the powers that be need to be doing, overhauling "all" of the farming industry, helping them to diversify, improve yields, change crops, help them to buy their land not rent it (so that when subsidy time comes around again, the landlords don't just put up their rental prices as happened in the rice scam and they lose that subsidy basically) etc ... not just give cash handouts to the privileged few, cos normally it's the seriously poor ones that don't even qualify as we saw in the past few years.

• Like 2

All these press releases remind me of something I read ...

“It had become usual to give Napoleon the Credit for every Successful achievement and every stroke of good fortune.

You would often hear one hen remark to another, “Under the guidance of our leader, Comrade Napoleon, I have laid

five eggs in six days” or two cows, enjoying a drink at the pool, would exclaim, “thanks to the leadership of Comrade

Napoleon, how excellent this water tastes!”...”

George Orwell, Animal Farm

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"No word of farmer suicides, protesting farmers, farmers being intimidated by the party that the farmers voted for, no fake deals, no self combusting rice."

On indeed. The Junta under threats of public protests has wisely paid the farmer's ransome for their POLITICAL SUPPORT and SILENCE. The Junta has truly learned its lesson from history.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you are going to paste from a source please include all relevant points and not just the ones that are favourable

" In August 2014, Korn established 'Kaset Khem Kaeng" - a non-profit with a mission to help small farmers practice sustainable farming and receive fair compensation for their produce. The project started as a joint venture between the company and one small village in Mahasarakham province, which is one of the poorest provinces in Thailand. The company was able to successfully buy chemical-free Jasmine rice from farmers at 20,000 - 25,000 baht per ton compared to the market rate of only 8,000 baht per ton"

Taken from Wiki

If you are going to paste from a source please include all relevant points and not just the ones that are favourable

" In August 2014, Korn established 'Kaset Khem Kaeng" - a non-profit with a mission to help small farmers practice sustainable farming and receive fair compensation for their produce. The project started as a joint venture between the company and one small village in Mahasarakham province, which is one of the poorest provinces in Thailand. The company was able to successfully buy chemical-free Jasmine rice from farmers at 20,000 - 25,000 baht per ton compared to the market rate of only 8,000 baht per ton"

Taken from Wiki

I would love to know where this rice has been sold because it will be nearly 2000usd per tonne in the shops.

All very quaint but you cannot run an entire rice industry on organics and specialty varieties.