Pattaya guard beats foreign tourist unconscious 'out of misunderstanding'

webfact

try drinking in city bar anywhere round the world and then try to fob half the bill off.

not nice he got beat up but we only got half the story. there are some serious mouth merchants from the UK in pattay who think the world owes them a living and the locals they regard with utter disdain.

who knows he may have had it coming

Do you not know how to read or are you being intentionally obtuse?

I'd say the second option

I'm not condning this type of behavior because I think it's wrong, but I have seen this happen by guards (bouncers) in US strip clubs many times. Usually the guy could have walked away unharmed, but in most cases his own behavior led to harsher consequenses.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree with many things that have been written here but, I am sure there is more to this than meets the eye, if it had been me I would of said I am sorry I need to go to the ATM machine can one of the staff go with me and I will come back in 5 minutes, don't see a problem with that.

Apparently he did say something like that , he was pissed and Russian , so who knows who understood him. However there is no exuse for punching him and then getting 4 of your coward , scum mates to kick him uncouscious

You were there and overheard this no doubt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree with many things that have been written here but, I am sure there is more to this than meets the eye, if it had been me I would of said I am sorry I need to go to the ATM machine can one of the staff go with me and I will come back in 5 minutes, don't see a problem with that.

Apparently he did say something like that , he was pissed and Russian , so who knows who understood him. However there is no exuse for punching him and then getting 4 of your coward , scum mates to kick him uncouscious

You were there and overheard this no doubt.

No I wasn't , its in the article

Edited by ExPratt

The gaurd called for help ! What a brave man he must have been ! can it never be 1 on 1 in this place?????

No it cannot. If you live here, you know it, I know it, all expats know it, and that's why we should remind, again and again, ALL our foreign friends NEVER to get in a fight with a Thai if there are other Thais around, which is most of the time, because they will ALWAYS side with the Thai guy and you'll end up beaten to a pulp, no matter how right you were.

Because it's not about right or wrong. These group beatings have a scary ritual aspect to them, they give the Thais a increased sense of community, and they are not reserved to foreigners. In that latter case, though, they obviously serve as an outlet for all the envy, anger, and misunderstanding accumulated by Thai people against 'farangs', for both good or bad reasons.

I agree with that.

When Thais on Thais they also gang up, my brother in law was beaten badly up in Sisaket by 5 Thais that somehow got angry at him.

Yes here in Pattaya and elsewhere; off-course many low paid Thais envy us "rich" tourists/expats. They have little chance if any to get wealthy and will always struggle to earn enough money just to feed the family which must be frustrating and can fuel violence. The hookers have the chance to marry a Westerner and leave it all behind, nothing wrong with that.

It's a shame the Russian decided not to press charges against the beaters, they will likely just get a warning from the police and that's that.

From Page 1 of this thread . Quote from article

"Witnesses say the foreigner gave the staff 600 baht and told them in English that he would withdraw the rest of the money from a nearby ATM."

So you believe everything you read in the Thai press...especially anonymous "witnesses." I've got a bridge for sale...interested?

• Like 2

From Page 1 of this thread . Quote from article

"Witnesses say the foreigner gave the staff 600 baht and told them in English that he would withdraw the rest of the money from a nearby ATM."

So you believe everything you read in the Thai press...especially anonymous "witnesses." I've got a bridge for sale...interested?

Ok they were bullshitting , you win the argument , congratulations

• Like 2

"Interesting" and completely different version of the story on the FB page of Honey Bar.

A little "different" from what was described as witnesses statements.

So now pick your choice wink.png

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=787847624613642&id=166996206698790

Re: News Report Honey Bar Drunken Customer.
This incident has been grossly misreported in the media. I was in the bar when it happened.

The American guy was drunk and refused to pay his bar bill.

He became very abusive at the girls and cashier, using threatening gestures and extreme swear words at them.

The cashier called the security guard in the bar complex for assistance.

Totally unprovoked, the guy swung a punch at the security guard who was knocked off his feet.

Motorcycle taxi drivers from the local stand witnessed the totally unprovoked attack and immediately went to his assistance.

After receiving first-aid, the guy walked away from the bar complex.

Police later impounded his motorcycle and took copies of his unpaid bar bill.

The guy did not offer or pay any of his bar bill. No customers left the bar afterwards in protest.

The security guard gave a statement to the police and was not charged with any offence.

Edited by KhunBENQ

"Interesting" and completely different version of the story on the FB page of Honey Bar.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=787847624613642&id=166996206698790

This incident has been grossly misreported in the media. I was in the bar when it happened.

He became very abusive at the girls and cashier, using threatening gestures and extreme swear words at them.

Totally unprovoked, the guy swung a punch at the security guard who was knocked off his feet.

Motorcycle taxi drivers from the local stand witnessed the totally unprovoked attack and immediately went to his assistance.

The guy did not offer or pay any of his bar bill. No customers left the bar afterwards in protest.

The security guard gave a statement to the police and was not charged with any offence.

Well that just might calm down the hysterical over-reactions of the friendly Thai bashers!

When I drink in a bar here I pay for my drinks as I order them.

Running up a bar tab here can lead to problems as many of

these bars are struggling to earn a living and will try and add

the odd drink to the bill,I have been here many years and seen

numerous tourists get into grief with locals here on Samui

over bar bills ,taxi fares etc ,these locals will attack mob handed

and tooled up if the odds are heavily stacked in there favour.

pay as you go in bars and always negotiate taxi fares to avoid

possible trip to the hospital or even the morgue.

• Like 1

Before we start all the "only in Thailand" and similar rubbish - don't forget the number of times that people have been beaten senseless by the moronic "security guards" or "bouncers" outside clubs in Australia and the UK - where there can be no language barrier - unless one thinks of the basic thought capacity of this type of person.

Most security guards, here or overseas, are not the sharpest tools in the box to start with.

Having said that, this is certainly unacceptable anywhere.

Before we start all the "only in Thailand" and similar rubbish - don't forget the number of times that people have been beaten senseless by the moronic "security guards" or "bouncers" outside clubs in Australia and the UK - where there can be no language barrier - unless one thinks of the basic thought capacity of this type of person.

Most security guards, here or overseas, are not the sharpest tools in the box to start with.

Having said that, this is certainly unacceptable anywhere.

Trust me, the Thai bashers here dont like it when you mention 'somewhere else' in a story about Thais attacking a Farang - particularly ironic considering that many of them dont even live in Thailand, but this is a board about life in Thailand so let's give the bashers their moment in the sun. FWIW, I dont believe a word of the bar's FB account of what happened, and the security guard is a coward, but nothing will change as long as the bottom 10% of the bottom 10% of Thai society are attracted to Pattaya by the prospect of easy money. So much talk here of 'quality tourists' - what this town needs is a few less rednecks from Isaan and a few more people with brain cells, but I guess dreams are free.

• Like 1

I more or less knew this would turn out to be the case...don't know what all the Thai and Pattaya bashers will say now. And yes, a cigar is usually just a cigar and a drunken farang is usually an obstinate a-hole who gets away with too much and sometimes gets what's coming to him.

• Like 1

I more or less knew this would turn out to be the case...don't know what all the Thai and Pattaya bashers will say now. And yes, a cigar is usually just a cigar and a drunken farang is usually an obstinate a-hole who gets away with too much and sometimes gets what's coming to him.

Well done you did.I'd give far more credence to a man who was standing there , but where on earth did all the newspapers get the story from and this Police comment in an established English newspaper "Police said the incident tarnished the reputation of the tourism city and they were hunting down the suspects."

I doubt the post's objectivity because it is on the site of the bar in question.

The Cynic in me agrees, How come there are no other farangs coming forward? Were there only 2 in that entire beer complex?

Well if there's 1 lie in a story,, isn't it possible there are more?.... "After receiving first-aid, the guy walked away from the bar complex." I don't know what this, "witness" saw,, but in the news clip, I CLEARLY saw the UNCONSIOUS man laying on a gurrny, and placed into an ambulance, and DRIVEN away,,, There were also reports of the guy being in the hospital,,, "The guy did not offer or pay any of his bar bill. No customers left the bar afterwards in protest."... was already posted that the guy left $600, and went to get more,, it was also posted that all the other customers left and went elsewhere,,,, So how stupid can someone be, to claim one thing,, when there's published VIDEO evidence of something COMPLETELY different?.... Lololololol

Edited by Adeeos
adjusted type fonts
  • Like 1