Thrills and agony of Suvarnabhumi Airport captured in BBC trailer (VIDEO)

webfact

Thrills and agony of Suvarnabhumi Airport captured in BBC trailer (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- It’s a mix of grins and grimaces as staff struggle to handle traveler’s issues, immigration officers ask for smiles, and a man wearing lipstick professes his love for tourists in an exaggerated but hilarious slices of life at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

On Thursday BBC Three will air “Bangkok Airport,” a six-part series set deep inside the airport and which features the colorful personalities and melodramas that unfold within. Guess they decided “Suvarnabhumi” just didn’t roll off the tongue in the same way.

Watching the promo, we lost it when the man in the vest bitterly claims “You will never see me in Thailand ever again.” Come on. He knows he loves it here.

There will be six, 60-minute episodes in total. Some familiar experiences appear to be in the series, but it’s difficult how its producers managed to craft six compelling hours of television set in the airport. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/20/thrills-and-agony-suvarnabhumi-airport-captured-bbc-trailer-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-20

>its difficult how its producers managed to craft six compelling hours of television set in the airport.

I've seen one of these airport drama shows before. They usually take two or three interesting issues (customs, immigration, missed connection) and drag it out over 60 minutes. The problems and the outcomes can be interesting and informative, sure enough, but we'd be better served by a two-minute summary.

• Like 2

It will make for an interesting comparison with the recent excellent series on Dubai Airport.

Ah yes Dubai where you can get on a plane in Birmingham Uk with a roll of wire in your hand luggage after checking first only to have it confiscated at Dubai despite having flown with it in your approved hand luggage by an Arab airline Emirates..........incredible

• Like 1

It seems to me this BBC series will prevent loutish British people from coming to Thailand. That cannot be a bad thing! Hooray for the BBC.

How so?

I haven't seen it yet so cannot come to such conclusions, but 'prevent'?

It will make for an interesting comparison with the recent excellent series on Dubai Airport.

Ah yes Dubai where you can get on a plane in Birmingham Uk with a roll of wire in your hand luggage after checking first only to have it confiscated at Dubai despite having flown with it in your approved hand luggage by an Arab airline Emirates..........incredible

Happens with a bottle of booze numerous times a day.

• Like 1

So, they decided to edit out how baggage handlers at Suvarnabhumi move luggage through the airport, by throwing and kicking it down stairs.

probably they also edited the handlers who open and steal from the baggage : I lost already once an expensive watch and recently the remote control for the IPTV box I took with me

Shame the cameras weren't there when one of the security staff or baggage handlers broke the lock off mine and stole my new trainers, iPod classic and shure headphones. Of which I'm still waiting for an investigation into.

• Like 1

It seems to me this BBC series will prevent loutish British people from coming to Thailand. That cannot be a bad thing! Hooray for the BBC.

How so?

I haven't seen it yet so cannot come to such conclusions, but 'prevent'?

Don't ask him/her an intelligent question Jacko. It's simply a bash the British post.

• Like 1

Should be good. I enjoyed the series about the tube. I think they will just show things from different perspectives , but not make any comments or conclusions. The Thais will then pretend it is an advertisement for them because there was no direct criticism. The rest of the viewers will start to think twice about what its like in Thailand. Especially if they think that guy in makeup is going to be the first thing they see!!!

I hope they show the women pretending to clean the men's rooms. They are always in there! Could be surprising to someone just off a 12 hour flight!

• Like 1

Its just a Thai version of Airport programs done elsewhere? I mean they look for colorful characters who have to deal with issues that come up. Camp bloke, etcetera.

I once had the misfortune of going thru the Newark, NJ airport.

I thought I was in the bar scene from Star Wars!

• Like 2

My family and I did some filming for this but can't see us being on has we had no issues and nothing negative to say about Thailand, hopefully we won't be on as we are flying back out next week!

wai.gif I would like to add that our airport (Suvarnabhumi) has the best disabled persons service to be found anywhere. Beijing has the absolute worst airport experience that can be found anywhere. Air China one of the worst airlines also. Airport hotel van ran out of petrol on way to hotel and hotel had NO beverage at all to go with the meal; including water. Coffee is unheard of in the 'business hotel' and bring your own eating utensils as there were none. You had to eat soup with chopsticksbah.gif

My family and I did some filming for this but can't see us being on has we had no issues and nothing negative to say about Thailand, hopefully we won't be on as we are flying back out next week!

wai.gif I would like to add that our airport (Suvarnabhumi) has the best disabled persons service to be found anywhere. Beijing has the absolute worst airport experience that can be found anywhere. Air China one of the worst airlines also. Airport hotel van ran out of petrol on way to hotel and hotel had NO beverage at all to go with the meal; including water. Coffee is unheard of in the 'business hotel' and bring your own eating utensils as there were none. You had to eat soup with chopsticksbah.gif

I would say that although the disabled service is good at our airport the disabled service in SIngapore is way superior as it is in several other airports.