Drinking Safe Quantities

The Coder

From a physical health standpoint (try to leave the mental health can of worms out for the time being) are there commonly accepted safe amounts to drink? Outside a hangover what are the warning signs you are drinking too much? Are problems reversible and how long does the process take? Or is it the type thing one day you wake up healthy and the next day you learn you liver is toast without warning?

From a physical health standpoint (try to leave the mental health can of worms out for the time being) are there commonly accepted safe amounts to drink? Outside a hangover what are the warning signs you are drinking too much? Are problems reversible and how long does the process take? Or is it the type thing one day you wake up healthy and the next day you learn you liver is toast without warning?

:o

I don't know what the "commonly accepted safe amounts" are. If you feel you are having a problem with your consumption of alchohol, then you are. Don't be in denial about drinking.

I drank a lot in my 20's and early 30's. I finally realised that I had a problem with drinking while I was in BKK. One morning I was walking down the street after a night of heavy drinking, when I felt that the pavement was uneven, I couldn't walk properly. I didn't understand why. It took a little while to realise it was due to the heavy drinking I had been doing for a week or so. I wasn't drunk at the time, but I had been drinking enough and not sleeping enough to cause problems. That scared me, and I decided it was time to cut way back on my drinking. I managed to do it. That was almost 30 years ago now. I still drink socially ocassionally, but I can go for months without feeling the need to drink. I don't feel the need for alchohol at any time.

Don't lie to yourself about your drinking. I know the lie, and I beat the lie.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

It is surprising how little people apparently know about this. I think it would be a good idea to make informed decisions on drinking just like we are able to do on diet. I've only seen the studies that show drinking can be good for the heart and in what quantities (1-5 drinks every day is better than not drinking at all, over 6 a day is worse than not drinking). I haven't seen studies on other health aspects. As the positive ones have gotten a lot of press in recent years, I'm most interested in learning the summary of the negative ones if they exist. For myself, I don't drink for good health, but would just like to understand and avoid the negatives.

The American Heart Foundation is recommending no more than 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks for men in their 2006 dietary advice. However, they are coming from a particular point of view (heart health). Presumably more than this starts to become a negative (but they don't explicitly say that as far as I can tell).

More than 2 drinks a day makes me fat so trying to cut down to one :o

This is very subjective, if you where to ask my tea total brother, who once drank a bottle of scotch and 6/7 pints of Guinness every day and is an alcoholic, he would say, zero. Then give you a lecture on the evil drink.

I know of plenty of very old people that swear that their nightly tot keeps them young and healthy.

As for scrapping you liver, well it can happen to anyone but liver damage is reparable providing it is not totally diseased.

It is down to you what amount you drink and what is a healthy amount, regarding what you drink it matters nowt to your body, it’s the amount of alcohol you ingest.

Bottoms up

Les

Ps asking a doctor for advice wont help, doctors have a higher number of alcoholics than any other profession.

• 1 month later...
The American Heart Foundation is recommending no more than 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks for men in their 2006 dietary advice. However, they are coming from a particular point of view (heart health). Presumably more than this starts to become a negative (but they don't explicitly say that as far as I can tell).

More than 2 drinks a day makes me fat so trying to cut down to one :o

Trouble is there's differing opinions even amongst those professionals who should have a consensus.

According to www.healthscotland.com I can have up to four units (four single measures) of spirits, five days out of seven. According to this definition, a bottle of 300ml Sang Som should last three nights (100 ml per night) and a bottle of 700 ml Sang Som should last seven nights (but if you have a break of two nights after the first five, you can buy another on the ninth night of the cycle).

I don't have a weight problem. I stick to spirits and use 'lite' mixers. :D

Edited by Munted

According to www.healthscotland.com I can have up to four units (four single measures) of spirits, five days out of seven.

That's what they told me 15 years ago. I couldn't understand how someone could drink that little.

The previous week I had consumed over 300 units!

I didn't know the answer to your question and was curious. I did a google on "drinking health" and looked at several sites. This seems to be the consensus opionion:

"Women are advised to drink no more than two units of alcohol per day and men no more than three units, with at least two drink-free days for everyone every week. (One unit = a small glass of wine/half a pint of normal strength beer or lager/a single pub measure of spirits)."

I got that from http://www.bupa.com.hk/eng/tips/alcohol.asp

This site goes into greater detail: http://www.doitnow.org/pages/120.html

They all say that drinking a little is good for you, but if you drink more than that it is terrible for you. If you can't drink in moderation you are better off not drinking at all. A good friend of mine just died from liver failure because he could not drink in moderation.