Racist Bangkok taxi driver doesn't accept Japanese passengers

webfact

Personally I cannot stand Japanese people and yes it's mainly due to their barbaric practices...here in Thailand...during WW2.

For which they have never apologised.

That leads on to the smug way Thai's are proud ( unwarranted ) of not being Colonised!

Really, they capitulated to the Japanese and let then take over the country....worse than being colonised I think.

Anyway as is widely considered had they been colonised by the British they would have gained respect for us which is certainly lacking.

Even though we are their favourite Westerners!

However, the law here states that Taxi Drivers are not permitted to refuse a fare.......but they do all the time!

I saw a huge banner over all the Immigration Desks at Narita, Tokyo airport....

'WELCOME TO JAPAN BUT OBEY THE RULES' Says it all really!

Soi Thaniya is a private service sector of Patpong catering to rich Japanese who wish to spend time (and money) in private clubs with Thai girls. If farangs or Indians or Africans are not allowed in, so be it.

The taxi driver OTOH is in the public sector, offering his vehicle for hire. Big difference.

Respectfully disagree.

The clubs in Chonburi that only allow Japanese customers (no other foreigners nor Thai) are discriminating based on nationality.

These are public businesses, not private enterprises. The same discrimination is being employed by the taxi driver.

Both are wrong and both would result in multi-million dollar lawsuits in western countries.

Feelgood Gyms in Australia only allow female members - 100% legit. You can have legal discrimination.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Suvarnabhumi taxi drivers amd any other driver not using the meter are the disgrace of Thailand. They have bad karma and they are not true Buddhist.

there aren't many "true buddhists" in these parts anyway...in fact some of their behaviour is the antithesis or Buddhism !

Basically saying its ok to scam tourists and if you make a fuss we don't like it...

Well I for one will make my stand and will pre book my taxi from now on..

Wonder where the army stands on this little gem..

After all they did make a big play about stopping the rip off..

• Like 1

They should expand more......

No British, No Americans, no other Europeans allowed.........except Greeks.

So they could all go back to Issan and live a happy life thereafter, eating and drinking all day.

And the traffic on the streets of BKK, will be much betterthumbsup.gif

Why, what makes your lot stand out above the rest

We are more hansum than all the rest of you.

• Like 2

Prayuth Thainese does not mean that Thais should be looked down by Farang like Japanese.

There are pride in every Thais.

If Japs make Thai loose their jobs, they have tthe right to stand up and fight for his/her freedom.

Viva le Siam.

Who lost their job?

The Taxi driver was banned from the airport for breaking the law.

The Taxi driver did it to himself. wai2.gifwai.gif

Furthermore;

Jap

(jăp)

n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or ancestry.

So they could all go back to Issan and live a happy life thereafter, eating and drinking all day.

As a race; you are also more skint than the rest of us !!

Seriously? It perfectly describes how the people react to the criticism. And while there the other things will have a highest level of priority but the perfect customer service for tourists, there won't be the tourists here. TAT wishes to have millions of tourists visiting Thailand every day? Great then! Start with teaching the locals of how to respect the tourists and what depends on this respect, particularly for this locals.

• Like 1

As a race; you are also more skint than the rest of us !!

Please enlighten me Oh wise one.......What race are we?

Correct me if I am wrong but is there not or was there a Japanese only Soi next to PatPong? caters to thai ladies for Japanese only. If anyone else goes there they will not serve you.

Haha, true that. But its apples and oranges I think. Soi Thaniya is not exactly a "public service" sector, although it may seem like it!

Sorry I don't understand apples and oranges. If it is not a public service sector what is it?

Soi Thaniya is a private service sector of Patpong catering to rich Japanese who wish to spend time (and money) in private clubs with Thai girls. If farangs or Indians or Africans are not allowed in, so be it.

The taxi driver OTOH is in the public sector, offering his vehicle for hire. Big difference.

So you are saying a shop/bar on a public street can refuse to allow certain races but a taxi that drives on the same public roads can't?

Don't see a huge difference myself except one excludes everyone but japanese and the other includes everyone except for japanese...

• Like 1

Prayuth Thainese does not mean that Thais should be looked down by Farang like Japanese.

There are pride in every Thais.

If Japs make Thai loose their jobs, they have tthe right to stand up and fight for his/her freedom.

Viva le Siam.

Are you Thai? You definitely sound like one of those proudly presenting Thai .

• Like 2

There e several areas and venues in Bangkok where only Japanese are allowed. Except for workers, Thai people are not allowed to enter these "Japanese" venues. This is in Thailand. If this is now racism by the Japanese then I wonder what else is. And Oh, one has just to read comments on Thai Visa to understand how racist, derogatory and discriminative often the comments are.

In Minnesota the government gave refuge to a lot of Somalias. Many of them drive taxis. To show their appreciation for being saved from whatever hell they were enduring in Somalia, they put up signs in their taxis refusing service to anyone who is transporting alcohol ( carrying a bottle of wine or beer home from the market in a bag) or anyone who appears to have had a drink of alcohol.

Come on people, why the massive suppport for Japan here ?

The man has, I think, the right to refuse service if he wishes. The man is probably acting by himself. And this shows "when you take action by yourself only, you are useless, you must get organised, be in a group, and take collective or joint action".

As for supporting Japan, nobody has forgotten fighting the war against Germany. But people act as if there never was a World War against Japan.
Why ?

If it was about refusing service to Chinese passengers, surely most people on Thai Visa would be cheering on the whole thing.
So we don't like the Chinese, but we love the Japanese ? Who did Britain (and America as well) fight in a World War ??

Xenophobia is alive and well in the Land of racial equality Smiles.

Obviously racism must be institutionalize, if not condone. No Indians. No Africans. No Japanese. And no response by the government? It must be OK to discriminate?

beatdeadhorse.gif

Where's the global Nanny-establishment when you need them. lol passifier.gif

Edited by connda

It's not really support for Japan.

It's support for the concept of being able to openly criticize a corruption in Thai society (airport taxi scams) without consequences against yourself or your entire nationality!

It would be very revealing if many Thai people actually think that kind of irrational retribution reaction is acceptable.

Do people here think that is so?
I'm afraid that I do ... my experience of Thailand is that Thais generally wouldn't even get how messed up that sign is and all that it represents.

How dare a foreigner tell the truth about something bad that happens in Thailand!

Edited by Jingthing

I guess the Japanesse will be the first to "discover Thainess" upon landing in Thailand

Stupid, racist and ignorant

Well Japan is a highly racist country, more than Thailand. I know because I lived there for four years. And they do look down on less-developed nations. In fact they look down on everybody, no matter how outwardly courteous and humble they seem to be. That's all BS.