Racist Bangkok taxi driver doesn't accept Japanese passengers

webfact

My sister and I encountered a cab months ago with a sign "no fat people allowed" in Thai and accompanied by a sticker of a big person w cross marking on it.Years ago in the sky train an ad for a whitening cream said "only white-skin people can sit here" written in Thai.

I love this country but sometimes they do outlandish stuff:s

As bad as the racists, are the forum-apologists for these bigots.

Do you really want to live in a world, where discrimination is seen as normal ?!

Sad !

You aren't living in a politically correct western society anymore. All of Asia is racist so get used to it.

Discrimination isn't going anywhere.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They should expand more......

No British, No Americans, no other Europeans allowed.........except Greeks.

So they could all go back to Issan and live a happy life thereafter, eating and drinking all day.

And the traffic on the streets of BKK, will be much better alt=thumbsup.gif>

Greeks can always come in by the backdoor.

• Like 1

The word "racist" gets thrown around with much too much abandon. Perhaps the driver is prejudiced, or even bigoted but let's not jump to the sensational word "racist" as soon as he horse leaves the gate.

I would call the driver "discerning."

This story reminds me of the Michael Moore / TV Nation episode about taxis in New York not picking up black people, in favor of whites. He drove a cab around the city only picking up black people and giving them free rides saying "You don't have to pay, African American people are free today". Also refused to pick up white people saying "Sorry, only picking up African Americans today".

Very funny to watch.

• Like 1

The word "racist" gets thrown around with much too much abandon. Perhaps the driver is prejudiced, or even bigoted but let's not jump to the sensational word "racist" as soon as he horse leaves the gate.

I would call the driver "discerning."

Not exactly.

Any kind of different treatment ("discrimination") based solely on perceived race/ethnicity/nationality, even POSITIVE treatment, even very TRIVIAL, is indeed a manifestation of racism. Many people are confused about that. Racism doesn't need to be lynching.

Are trivial manifestations of racism worth getting excited about? Not usually. But that doesn't mean any kind of racism is a good thing.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This story reminds me of the Michael Moore / TV Nation episode about taxis in New York not picking up black people, in favor of whites. He drove a cab around the city only picking up black people and giving them free rides saying "You don't have to pay, African American people are free today". Also refused to pick up white people saying "Sorry, only picking up African Americans today".

Very funny to watch.

I just search YouTube and found it.

Funny how white people feel so self entitled and are outraged at refusal.

• Like 1

A not surprising reaction on an entire race because of the opinion of one individual. What a big baby. Thainess in full glory.

... and you are doing exactly what this taxi driver is doing, ie generalizing. How pathetic.

• Like 1

Well the Japanese guy was right. By the way Mr Driver, you are dumb and stupid. I'm from England, so I'm going to wait for your new sign that says no English passengers.....hahaha

With an attitude like yours, were I taxi driver, I would print a sign especially for you.

You should be reminded that when there's football on in Europe, the English visitors are the least desired. I have felt this myself when staying in Stockholm. A peaceful evening discussion around the table at a Youth Hostel, 6 or 7 nationalities, then totally destroyed when a load of cocky arrogant English fans walked in. End of the discussion. We all said goodnight and left the room, so repulsive were your countrymen. Give it some thought.

By the way, being from Essex, I also carry a UK passport, but I traveled on my Australian passport back then.

A not surprising reaction on an entire race because of the opinion of one individual. What a big baby. Thainess in full glory.

... and you are doing exactly what this taxi driver is doing, ie generalizing. How pathetic.

His boring comment, ending in "Thainess in full glory." made me laugh. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black !

He is a pro' Thai basher having a go at a Thai for being anti-Japanese.

I would like to get my hands on the moron who first coined the term "Thainess', I cringe every time I see it. And the Thai bashers who use it are no better. Read the forum rules you guys, especially #11.

And I would bet my bottom dollar that the people who complain the most about Thais being racist are in fact racist themselves.

• Like 1

As an Israeli I can assume that the Phi Phi hotel owner is not a racist but suffered from vandalism from Israeli young tourist who some times shame our country. Basicaly, we are really good people...

Everyone has a right to refuse service.
I've seen worse. Anti Israel sign on Phi Phi island saying "Israeli not welcome at this hotel".
Another bar in Phuket has "No Africa man allowed"

As an Israeli I can assume that the Phi Phi hotel owner is not a racist but suffered from vandalism from Israeli young tourist who some times shame our country. Basicaly, we are really good people...

Everyone has a right to refuse service.

I've seen worse. Anti Israel sign on Phi Phi island saying "Israeli not welcome at this hotel".

Another bar in Phuket has "No Africa man allowed"

I'm sure that is probably the main reason business owners in Thailand would discriminate against Israelis. Thais, generally, don't even know what a Jew is in the first place. But there are probably other reasons such as European owners who actually are racist and even Muslim Thais expressing themselves politically about the Palestinian conflict.

Try another example ... Thais banning Indians from a business because of a stereotype of haggling problems, group misbehavior with sex workers, or even feeling they smell.

Is that an expression of racism and banning Israelis not? Food for thought.

Edited by Jingthing

This particular discussion between you two is just SOOO funny, so ironic and uber-narcissistic that I just had to comment.

Are we to take from your criticism of this taxi guy that either of you two wouldn't ever be guilty of the exact same brand of discrimination ?

I guess you'll trial balloon that one to see what you can get us.

• Like 1

............................"This was just a taxi driver from a 3rd world country."............................ ????

That one line from you summed you up in a nutshell.

Have you ever been to Japan? I wondered what kind of behaviour you may have showed to the most polite people that ever walked the surface of Earth....

Go to Japan and you will see real racism. I have never seen such a racist rude nation. They won't let you into bars, won't talk to you. Won't even give you directions.

• Like 1

This particular discussion between you two is just SOOO funny, so ironic and uber-narcissistic that I just had to comment.

Are we to take from your criticism of this taxi guy that either of you two wouldn't ever be guilty of the exact same brand of discrimination ?

I just know that all of you who are interested in a cabbie denying rides to Japanese just go into melt down at such a thing, But where can you find a fine looking Thai lady like the one that showed in this post. I have scanned through hundreds of online sites that fine ladies, but I never have seen one that looks as good as that one???????? !!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

I just know that all of you who are interested in a cabbie denying rides to Japanese just go into melt down at such a thing, But where can you find a fine looking Thai lady like the one that showed in this post. I have scanned through hundreds of online sites that fine ladies, but I never have seen one that looks as good as that one???????? !!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

Anywhere.

But what are you intending to bring to the table there, Keith7777 ;-?)

Have you ever been to Japan? I wondered what kind of behaviour you may have showed to the most polite people that ever walked the surface of Earth....

Go to Japan and you will see real racism. I have never seen such a racist rude nation. They won't let you into bars, won't talk to you. Won't even give you directions.

Just remind them that Radioactivity is now a big part of their lives now with those Fukushima reactors in full meltdown still bubbling away about 150 km from Tokyo.

Radioactive.

Well the Japanese guy was right. By the way Mr Driver, you are dumb and stupid. I'm from England, so I'm going to wait for your new sign that says no English passengers.....hahaha

With an attitude like yours, were I taxi driver, I would print a sign especially for you.

You should be reminded that when there's football on in Europe, the English visitors are the least desired. I have felt this myself when staying in Stockholm. A peaceful evening discussion around the table at a Youth Hostel, 6 or 7 nationalities, then totally destroyed when a load of cocky arrogant English fans walked in. End of the discussion. We all said goodnight and left the room, so repulsive were your countrymen. Give it some thought.

By the way, being from Essex, I also carry a UK passport, but I traveled on my Australian passport back then.

What difference did it make you traveled on your Australian passport?

Chernobyl is 75 km away from Kiev and it's not close to the coast... Is radioactivity a big part of Ukrainian's lives? no.

So in Japan, it's pretty much the same. And there is no abnormal radioactivity rate in Tokyo.

Just remind them that Radioactivity is now a big part of their lives now with those Fukushima reactors in full meltdown still bubbling away about 150 km from Tokyo.

Radioactive.
Edited by Frank78

Chernobyl is 75 km away from Kiev and it's not close to the coast... Is radioactivity a big part of Ukrainian's lives? no.

So in Japan, it's pretty much the same. And there is no abnormal radioactivity rate in Tokyo.

Radioactive.

False, false and your fabulous dipsodoodling, while it may (you know;-) be part of some footwear-moistening nuclear industry folk-dance exercise is contrary to ALL the facts and science.

Your just celebrating ignorance. There's always a majority consensus when you want to congratulate a pack of ignoramuses.

Just Google TEPCO's response.

Best to Homer Simpson.

Only white people can be derided as racists. Everyone else gets a free pass, they can't help themselves due the sorry state of their emotions, and it's all the fault of the white people's racism.

Sarcasm? Where?

I got the very same lecture from a taxi driver in Addis Ababa back in the day.

No way he'd budge on it.