British Consulate Chiang Mai to no longer offer notarial and documentary services

Jonathan Fairfield

British Consulate Chiang Mai to no longer offer notarial and documentary services

From 1 February 2015 there will be a change to notarial and documentary services at the British Consulate in Chiang Mai

With effect from 1 February 2015 the British Consulate in Chiang Mai will cease providing notarial and documentary services e.g. pension letters, affirmations, certification of documents. These services will be provided by the British Embassy in Bangkok.
The changes to how we provide our notarial and documentary services in Thailand are part of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s 2013-2016 Consular Strategy, launched by the British Foreign Secretary in April 2013. The strategy commits us to providing a more professional, modern and streamlined service for British Nationals who require access to notarial and documentary services.
Information on how to apply for your specific notarial or documentary need can be found on Notarial and documentary services guide for Thailand or by telephoning +66 (0) 2 305 8333.
Many of the services can be provided by mail. For the few services that require attendance in person, the British Embassy provides a same day service subject to the application being correctly completed. To avoid delays, please submit your application in good time and provide all the necessary documentation and the appropriate fee for the service you require.
Further information
Follow British Ambassador Mark Kent on twitter @KentBKK
Follow the British Embassy Bangkok on Twitter, and Facebook

"The strategy commits us to providing a more professional, modern and streamlined service for British Nationals who require access to notarial and documentary services."

They are implying that the service In Chiang Mai isn't professional and British citizens will receive a better service by travelling all the way to Bangkok.

I saw a child protection online course employees of the BC needed to pass in order to continue their employment. There were around 8 different scenarios and just about all involved a suspicious looking middle-aged white man. No members of ethnic communities or females. However, when it comes to promoting British Education, you can't bloody find a white middle-aged man in their promotional literature - everyone's ethnic and/or female.

• Like 1

After working in the corporate world for 30+ years, I've learned to be suspicious of words like "streamlined."

(Just like "redirected" for which they used to say "layoffs." Or "HR file documentation" which actually means, "We're collecting evidence to fire your sorry ass.")

Same ilk.

"Alignment" is another such corporate word...

What a caring government we you have.

It's an absolute embarrassment of a place, now they are not even offering those services (most expensive piece of A4 paper I ever bought), it is better to close the place and stop some freeloaders getting salary for doing nothing.

The british government representation in Chiang Mai an absolute joke. But then the british government is a joke full stop.

• Like 1

They should just get on and close it... It does nothing anyway, save the money!

OR, make it useful again!

I guess this is on the cards. It is obvious the FCO are winding it down. I can`t think of any reason why I would need to visit the Chiang Mai British Consulate anymore. They no longer assist with passport applications and now they ceased issuing letters and statements I cannot see how the consulate would be of any use to both ex-pats or British tourists, so they may just as well close it down completely and have done with it.

• Like 2

I live in Chiang Rai and i got a letter from the UK pension service it was a Life Certificate to prove i am still alive and kicking,it said on the form to get it signed by any Professional person i did not want to go all the way to the British Consulate in Chiang Mai,so i went to my bank they said no in case there are are problems afterwards,so i said what problems it is just to prove that i am alive and living in Thailand,so next i went to the Police Station after about a hour of my passport being handed around they said the same thing so i went home thinking well i will just have to go to the consulate,then my school teacher friend said come with me he took me to my local hospital where for 70bht i was examined for high blood pressure and looked at my heart she said ok and the form was signed by a lady doctor in all of 15 minutes.

• Like 2

The consulate and the teaching centre go together. They operate on the same rented land. There have been rumours for many years about the teaching centre closing down. A few years ago they were instructed to actually obtain a school license for the teaching centre but this has been problematic because now to license a new school it must be purpose built (The BC TC operates from an old bank building).

In the past their teaching centres used 'diplomatic' and 'charitable' status to work around local laws and regulations. Many countries have caught on to this and now make them jump through the same hoops as locally owned schools.

There must be loose ends such as leases and employment contracts that need to be honoured, but my money is definitely on the whole compound going before 2016. Maybe there will just be a small consular representation in a rented office near the airport from next year.

just been to chiang mai consulate to get a income cert letter,there not sure if there closing or not cousulate lady did not seem to perturbed,she said same proplem about letters at samui and other out lying districts all got to apply bangkok,will go the bank letter route next time.hope they dont mess that up in some way.

"The strategy commits us to providing a more professional, modern and streamlined service for British Nationals who require access to notarial and documentary services."

So they are saying that the consulates were NOT providing professional service. Typical government bovine excrement. Others saying it is another way to save money and or their budget is not enough to provide service. Governments are good in providing some kind of structure but they are playing games with their citizens on the hoops and lack of concern to their citizens. The looks in the camera that they do is acting.

I being American had to use my consulate in Acapulco. She was worthless. More of a fashion statement and cocktail party member then anything else. The consulate wasn't even hooked up to the National State department by internet. Had no help with lost passport other then call your home state for a copy of your birth certificate. The consulate gave a myriad of worthless smiles. All in all the assistance was a worthless as "tits on a boar."

So goes government.

They should just get on and close it... It does nothing anyway, save the money!

OR, make it useful again!

I have had extremely good service from the Chiang Mai office over many years.

The good service you had over many years is meaningless now that the consul does virtually nothing for UK citizens in northern Thailand.

As Jim says, either close it or make it useful again