Compulsory Insurance for Scooter

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to get my local garage to get the tax and compulsory insurance for my scooter this week. He speaks a little english and me a little thai so I just wnat to check I know the process fully first.

When I ask him to arrange my years insurance will they need my full name, address, dob etc etc? or is it just the scooter reg and greenbook needed?

Cheers

Thing is I am pretty busy at the moment with work and for like 200tbh it is easier for the garage I use to do it like they did my car tax. I was just a bit unsure about insurance details needed.

Another issue is that due to my work messing up last year it has been untaxed and uninsured since February so am expecting to pay the outstanding TAX as well. I would rather a native speaker handle it than me bumble through lol

Near the Land office there are usually lots of players who will sort it for you if in doubt.

They do the insurance, test the motor machine and organise the registration.

Probably more professional than your garage whom are concentrated on a different aspect of the vehicle.

I suggest you look for one of these places(see photo). Their sole job is auto and bike registration services. I think almost everywhere there is a location like this. In places like Pattaya there many locations available. Here In Ban Chang I know of at least 3 locations. They will handle all the needed paperwork including the comp insurance for a small fee and get it done in one day

post-20917-0-39790600-1421896233_thumb.j

Thing is I am pretty busy at the moment with work and for like 200tbh it is easier for the garage I use to do it like they did my car tax. I was just a bit unsure about insurance details needed.

Another issue is that due to my work messing up last year it has been untaxed and uninsured since February so am expecting to pay the outstanding TAX as well. I would rather a native speaker handle it than me bumble through lol

Yes the garage that did your car inspection will be able to do it. I just did my bike last week, cost 590 Baht.

I just gave them the green book and picked up the tax and insurance a few days later. No further information

was required as they take your name for the insurance from the green book.

• Like 2

I suggest you look for one of these places(see photo). Their sole job is auto and bike registration services. I think almost everywhere there is a location like this. In places like Pattaya there many locations available. Here In Ban Chang I know of at least 3 locations. They will handle all the needed paperwork including the comp insurance for a small fee and get it done in one day

attachicon.gifP_20141223_122037.jpg

I think the picture shows the place where you take the bike if your machine is over a certain age.

Like someone says, just take the green book, they have some way of calculating based on day the tax expires.

Just take the bike to your garage with the green book. Job done.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

I hope that compulsory insurance is not the only cover you have for you and your motorcycle as it covers almost nothing. The most dangerous thing that about any of us do every day is drive a motorcycle here in Thailand and I would certainly advise getting that risk covered and covered well. The very first class insurance cover that I have cost about 2,500 Bt a year.

Cheers!

• Like 2

I hope that compulsory insurance is not the only cover you have for you and your motorcycle as it covers almost nothing. The most dangerous thing that about any of us do every day is drive a motorcycle here in Thailand and I would certainly advise getting that risk covered and covered well. The very first class insurance cover that I have cost about 2,500 Bt a year.

Cheers!

I agree. Just a bit surprised about the price you pay for a first class insurance. I was quoted over 3000 Bt 2 weeks ago for a 3rd class (didn't take it yet).

Not sure if you can show the company on this forum, otherwise I would very much appreciate if you could pm me the company details.

I've always just taken the green book to the dealer I bought my bikes from and got everything back a couple of weeks later. No need to take the bike, they've certainly never looked at mine, but remember to keep the receipt copy under your seat to show you've paid the tax and just waiting on the paperwork, in the event you're stopped at a police check point!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cheers!

I agree. Just a bit surprised about the price you pay for a first class insurance. I was quoted over 3000 Bt 2 weeks ago for a 3rd class (didn't take it yet).

Not sure if you can show the company on this forum, otherwise I would very much appreciate if you could pm me the company details.

I too would be interested in the name of the company. A pm would suffice if not allowed on the forum

• Like 1

Cheers!

I did get a quote from a company and for 3rd party fire and theft it was over 3700tbh. When I asked why it was so expensive compared to my car I insure with them the agent said as they get stolen often in Thailand. Seing as it/s only worth 22000 tbh anyone I figured its not worth it.

What would be the benifit of extra insurance over the basic? I have health insurance already and the bike is worth so little. If I crashed I assume the basic would be enough to cover and damage caused? Otherwise how would the average Thai afford the damages?

Cheers!

Are you sure? I have second class insurance, and it costs me 5000Bt for a year. First class I think about 8000Bt.

In am pretty sure that pix is a government inspection station for vehicles that need an annual inspection. That blue and yellow sign is the clue....which I see in quite a few location around the North of Thailand.

Who is letting all these Thai young folks know that they have to register their phones. I don't have a cell phone, but do use my girl friends at times and she does not know anything about it. Are they requiring it of everyone and how are they getting the word out to register.

Could be an interesting situation as far as getting Thai folks to register.

I'm not sure how it works any way?

In am pretty sure that pix is a government inspection station for vehicles that need an annual inspection. That blue and yellow sign is the clue....which I see in quite a few location around the North of Thailand.

Yes true they do the inspections required on the older vehicles along with the road tax and comp insurance. I have used this particular site since I bought my truck and bike (10 years). No need to go to any dealer or garage just hand them the book and the required fees for the tax and insurance and they complete the required tasks for a small fee. If no inspectionneeded then they just do the sticker and insurance.

For my needs its the convenience of a stop that I know can do the service in just one day. No need to come back a week or two later

Asia insurance does a bike policy 3rd party that covers damage to other vehicle and medical for its pasengers plus a 100k bail bond for 1699 baht and if u ask for a discount like i did its 1500 baht...could be invaluable if u have a collision with an expensive car or a bike carrying kids as the thais and the police will say its your fault

If you never learn any more valuable written Thai than por ror bor then well done. Just look for พรบ. on a shop front and go with your green book, or blue for your car. They will do the tax too. As others have said if you are not too busy then the land office is a piece of cake too.

Asia insurance does a bike policy 3rd party that covers damage to other vehicle and medical for its pasengers plus a 100k bail bond for 1699 baht and if u ask for a discount like i did its 1500 baht...could be invaluable if u have a collision with an expensive car or a bike carrying kids as the thais and the police will say its your fault

Yes, if it is your fault they will say it is.

plenty of stories on TV where witnesses have accused the farang when it hasnt been his fault...

the point being it is important to have at least 3rd class insurance on any vehicle

plenty of stories on TV where witnesses have accused the farang when it hasnt been his fault...

the point being it is important to have at least 3rd class insurance on any vehicle

Always 3rd hand stories and/or cases where the foreigner was at fault, in spite of him claiming otherwise.

It is really easy, in spite of the stories also here in Thailand: if you're not to blame you will not be blamed. But somebody thinking he is not to blame is not always correct.

I don't think 3rd party insurance is really important for a scooter.

• 3 weeks later...