Would you have lent the money?

Squeegee

Yes I would of, and if it wasnt returned then it wouldnt be happening again that's for sure.

Thanks for the reply Charlie. I normally would have thought like that too, so that's probably why I feel bad and posted this to confirm to myself I've become overly cynical or protective, ha!

I think I did the wrong thing and if I'd have had chance to think about it first I would have given the stupid 100THB then next time given him a good telling to eff off.

Probably would have, just a 100b.

What has the sleepy face got to do with it?

That, and the cigarette thing, is me trying to put some kind of context to my impressions of someone I barely know asking for money.

Really, I'm sympathetic and I think I might apologize to him tomorrow.

not my policy to lend money for many reasons but i do have a mate who does but he is 6ft plus and built like a brick s**t house

and even he has problems with fund recovery, whatever the reason its their problem and of their making no need to share as they didn't consult you when they made the debt

• Like 1

100 Baht this time , 500 next time , then a 1.000 baht , each time paying you back till you start to trust him , then one day the big one.

This is exactly the kind of post I've seen before in topics like this that made me make that decision. I'm not criticizing you, but since I didn't know the guy and he didn't seem particularly organized yet seemed to have plenty of excuses about things I took exactly your stance. Now I think I may not have done the best thing.

OP, why should you feel bad?

He has the money for a taxi to get to work, safe to assume.

At what point did he realize he forget his wallet ? After paying the taxi driver or seeing you?

Have a think wink.png

Nice point. I feel somewhat better now.

And thanks too, Gerry.

100 baht isn't much.

But with larger requests it goes like this with me. I don't lend to you, you get the rag on with me.

I lend to you, you don't repay me back, i get the rag on with you. It's better that you have the rag on with me.

Option 2 always works for me with large requests.

• Like 2

I'm sympathetic and I think I might apologize to him tomorrow.

Why must you apologize? By your own description of this fellow he is not very reliable. IMO you made the right choice. Now stick with it.

At what point did he realize he forget his wallet ? After paying the taxi driver or seeing you?

And to this kind of person you want to apologize and lend money. Nope, not a good idea.

• Like 2

I would have lent the 100 baht. The guy obviously needed the help if he was seeking such a small amount.

If it wasn't paid back within a day or two, I would have considered it a small but wise investment to get him off of my back and out of my life permanently.

This is how I would normally have dealt with it. Still, no apologies tomorrow either.

Thanks everyone!

100 Baht. I would have given. If it was not returned or offered back, I'd also refuse in the future. Not the amount, it is the principle.

agree.

and OP, thanks for an enlightening, but if i'm honest pretty depressing, account of life as an english teacher here.

everyone to their own and i'm sure there is enjoyment and job satisfaction in there somewhere!

• Like 1

100 Baht. I would have given. If it was not returned or offered back, I'd also refuse in the future. Not the amount, it is the principle.

agree.

and OP, thanks for an enlightening, but if i'm honest pretty depressing, account of life as an english teacher here.

everyone to their own and i'm sure there is enjoyment and job satisfaction in there somewhere!

no there isnt! lol.