Can a Tourist Visa Be Converted to an ED Visa in TH?

Can a tourist visa be converted to an ED visa in TH? By the letter of the law? I've gone back and forth with my school on this issue over the past week. They say I have to leave TH and apply for the ED visa at a Thai embassy abroad, regardless of how much time I have remaining on my tourist visa. But some of my friends- and it would seem a few of my fellow TV members- have converted their visas in TH. This school is very small. They said they do everything by the books and don't really dabble wiith ED visas too often. I'm just curious what your experiences are with this particular aspect of ED visas. Has anyone been told they had to get their ED visa outside of TH?

The school is right, immigration will not convert a tourist visa to non-imm 'ED', and much less for studying at a private school.

Note, depending on where you are at this immigration is being very restrictive about granting extensions, so depending on your plans you should consider getting instead a double entry tourist visa, with which is perfectly legal to be studying if you want.

• Like 1

The school is right, immigration will not convert a tourist visa to non-imm 'ED', and much less for studying at a private school.

Note, depending on where you are at this immigration is being very restrictive about granting extensions, so depending on your plans you should consider getting instead a double entry tourist visa, with which is perfectly legal to be studying if you want.

So can we assume that the people who have gotten it done here went to a school that had connections? Or deals in high-volume or something?

So can we assume that the people who have gotten it done here went to a school that had connections? Or deals in high-volume or something?

I've been on this forum since maybe two years and never seen proof of anybody that was able to do that. If you can get a picture of their visa conversion stamp and extensions you could post it here (after removing personal information) and one could tell.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

I've been on this forum since maybe two years and never seen proof of anybody that was able to do that. If you can get a picture of their visa conversion stamp and extensions you could post it here (after removing personal information) and one could tell.

Ok. Thanks. That makes me feel a little less annoyed with the school. Now if they can actually get off their asses and turn in the paperwork I'll be happy...

Ok. Thanks. That makes me feel a little less annoyed with the school. Now if they can actually get off their asses and turn in the paperwork I'll be happy...

They are likely waiting for an approval by Ministry of Education. Plus it is being made very difficult for schools and students at this time.

They are likely waiting for an approval by Ministry of Education. Plus it is being made very difficult for schools and students at this time.

They haven't even prepared the paperwork yet, even though I gave it to em two weeks ago.

WARNING: They test Ed visa extension renewals. I was there for a different reason. One man failed the quiz and was given two weeks for 1900 baht (one price for four different time periods of extensions). One man came in at 9AM, and had que number 5, and was still there at 8PM waiting to get his passport back. Yes, I said 8PM. He passed the test, paid, and had to wait ten hours before they handed his passport back. I was stuck in this molasses que too. Anyone who came in with a Thai school representative or agent to help with this mess was handled pretty fast and relatively painlessly.

I was requesting a 7 day extension to change jobs. 1st to Labour, then the receipt for thje cancelled work permit in triplicate to Immigration to cancel Non-B and get extension for 7 days for 1900 baht (they won't grant 14 days anymore, no one could tell me why). All things considered, if I just had them cancel my visa, then left the next day or day after and paying a 500 baht per day overstay would have been half the price I paid, and less than half the aggravation of being in Limbo after hours (and then only having motorcycle taxis available with no meters and a price gouge tactic that would have scared Ghengis Kahn.

• 10 months later...

I was offered one myself from some agent, and I happen to be in my last TV extension.