Depreciation of Euro/Baht rate continues?

Flipping Heck!

Check out this chart and the right hand side column, the EUR is down against 31 currencies out of 32! It is only up against the croatian kuna...

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-thb.en.html

Blimey nelson, youse right, bleedin' 'eck, the bloomin euro only gone and weakened gainst all them other moneys. Well, fanks for lettin us all know, good to see you is have bloomin good financial savvy and accumin. Nelsons only gawn and scratched beneath the vineer innit and esposed the truth to us whats happened. Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

It's about to drop some more too. Exit polls are suggesting a Greek win for the anti-austerity party Syriza.

Its leader, Alex Tsipras has already stated he'll reverse all the austerity measures currently in place and renegotiate Greek debt with the troika come July when the next tranche of 7.2 billion is due. However, the Dutch prime minister has already given that one the thumbs down as has the German chancellor.

If he goes ahead with his plans regardless, Greece will be forced out of the Euro which will no doubt accelerate the currency's downward spiral.

It's about to drop some more too. Exit polls are suggesting a Greek win for the anti-austerity party Syriza.

Its leader, Alex Tsipras has already stated he'll reverse all the austerity measures currently in place and renegotiate Greek debt with the troika come July when the next tranche of 7.2 billion is due. However, the Dutch prime minister has already given that one the thumbs down as has the German chancellor.

If he goes ahead with his plans regardless, Greece will be forced out of the Euro which will no doubt accelerate the currency's downward spiral.

Tsipras has even publicly said that his government would not recognize the signature given by previous governments and will not be bound by previous agreements.

Doesn't sound much like a negociation at all.

I agree about the EUR being weakened by his victory in the elections, but this will only be short term.

In the long run, I think the EUR will be stronger without Greece.

Edited by manarak

Unfortunately for the Euro..it's in a period of downturn...& worst case scenario ..is at the end!

It's not just one reason...

I think it's too simplistic to blame the "lazy " Greeks but does make for a good argument around the table over a couple beers .....if one knows nothing of world politics & economics.

I would argue that the problems to the Euro are self induced..and now will see mass exit of the currency to US dollars or maybe even the Thai baht...further diminishing it's conversion value.

Now that the EU has introduced "quantitative easing" there is no way out.Fracturing within the European community will escalate.

Germany will be unhappy with the quantitative easing EU policy.

Greece this weekend will probably elect a anti austerity government that will probably default on it's EU loans.

The Swiss this past week unpegged their currency to the Euro.

The European banks are in serious problems & when one fails...many will go down together.

Sanctions against Russia following the foreign policy of the US was probably the nail on the head..and in return Russia put in place their own sanctions.

Supporting the "Nazis" fascist government in Ukraine in a coup last year against it's trade partnership with Russia was/is a colossal mistake.

It's almost laughable...if it wasn't so devastating to the population.

The Greek situation will destroy the EU on the fiscal side.

The Swiss unpegging will destroy the EU on the currency side.

The sanctions against Russia will destroy the EU on the economic side.

The "quantitative easing" will destroy the EU on the monetary side with German opposition...& maybe abandoning the EU altogether.

The war in the Ukraine will destroy the EU on the energy side.

So yeah the Thai economy & Thai baht look quite stable to me compared to the Euro.

Of course the damage is self inflicted because the structure is essentially flawed.

It is a federal set up with states, exactly like the USA without the federal government being able to borrow independentlt from the state governments or impose taxes.

Thus, German euro borrowing was treated exactly the same as Greek euro borrowing even though the risk is patently not the same. There was no federal component to taxes Europe wide to force any equalisation over time.

Deficits didn't matter, risk didn't matter,Germany was guaranteeing all the minor country debts, until whammee.

It was a flawed construct from the very beginning. A single currency without a single govt and single fiscal body. Crazy structure that a few of Thatcher's people saw straight through thank God.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for the Euro..it's in a period of downturn...& worst case scenario ..is at the end!

It's not just one reason...

I think it's too simplistic to blame the "lazy " Greeks but does make for a good argument around the table over a couple beers .....if one knows nothing of world politics & economics.

I would argue that the problems to the Euro are self induced..and now will see mass exit of the currency to US dollars or maybe even the Thai baht...further diminishing it's conversion value.

Now that the EU has introduced "quantitative easing" there is no way out.Fracturing within the European community will escalate.

Germany will be unhappy with the quantitative easing EU policy.

Greece this weekend will probably elect a anti austerity government that will probably default on it's EU loans.

The Swiss this past week unpegged their currency to the Euro.

The European banks are in serious problems & when one fails...many will go down together.

Sanctions against Russia following the foreign policy of the US was probably the nail on the head..and in return Russia put in place their own sanctions.

Supporting the "Nazis" fascist government in Ukraine in a coup last year against it's trade partnership with Russia was/is a colossal mistake.

It's almost laughable...if it wasn't so devastating to the population.

The Greek situation will destroy the EU on the fiscal side.

The Swiss unpegging will destroy the EU on the currency side.

The sanctions against Russia will destroy the EU on the economic side.

The "quantitative easing" will destroy the EU on the monetary side with German opposition...& maybe abandoning the EU altogether.

The war in the Ukraine will destroy the EU on the energy side.

So yeah the Thai economy & Thai baht look quite stable to me compared to the Euro.

You sound suicidal suspect all your doom and gloom is unfounded. And it would take me too long to explain why and not sure you would understand anyway.

• Like 1

Tsipras has even publicly said that his government would not recognize the signature given by previous governments and will not be bound by previous agreements.

Doesn't sound much like a negociation at all.

I agree about the EUR being weakened by his victory in the elections, but this will only be short term.

In the long run, I think the EUR will be stronger without Greece.

True, but you also have to consider others who are in trouble such as spain and portugal. There is nothing to stop them from following the suite after seeing "no consequences" in regards to Greece.

I am sure the thinking tanks already have plans, but ........ we can only wait and see

• Like 1

“Europe is asking for it”: that’s the magic formula through which they’re taking our wealth and rights away. Making a second Greece of us. Austerity is killing us. Capitalism, more than ever, imposes itself as the only possible way to live in this world. Namely, the Neoliberal ideology, proclaiming itself as the only legitimate way to think, produce and exist: wild elevation of pensionable age, wages linear cut and progressive erotion of welfare state. I’m against all of this, the mainstream conformist thinking and the new world order. <deleted>*k them. EURO is not a currency, it’s a governing body whose aim is the destruction of the good old European system through wild privatizations and suppression of any residual welfare state.

Yes and no... what we have in Europe is heavily regulated capitalism with liberal financial markets, and we get hit by the negatives of both sides, unfortunately we don't get much of the positives due to overregulation on one side and underregulation on the other. It's quite crazy.

"heavily regulated capitalism"

Lol. Is that like a very black shade of white? Talk about euphemisms... Geez, the lengths some people go to, to avoid the 'S' word.