Crackdown On "farang" Teachers

george

Update:

Authorities to tighten foreign teacher hiring rules

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang said Saturday he had ordered the ministry's permanent secretary and the Office of the Private Education Commission to jointly resolve problems in employing foreigners to teach languages at schools.

In the past, hiring unqualified or poorly qualified foreign teachers was too easy, while good teachers would demand salary and working conditions which made it difficult to hire them, he said.

Foreign teachers with certification to teach generally ask for salaries higher than Thai schools are willing to pay.

Better measures are needed for screening foreigners wishing to take up teaching jobs at schools, Mr. Chaturon said.

Jakrapob Penkair, deputy secretary to the prime minister overseeing education, said yesterday that the ministry would develop tougher measures to screen teachers, including reviewing their overseas

qualifications, and stricter enforcement of visa regulations.

The plan comes after 41-year-old John Mark Karr, an American teacher, was apprehended Wednesday over the killing of child beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey, who was found beaten and strangled to death in the basement of her home in Colorado in 1996.

Authorities said Karr had begun working Tuesday as a second-grade teacher at an international school in Bangkok. Karr is expected to be deported Sunday and that he had already signed a document that he would fight the case against him in the US.

--TNA 2006-08-19

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say this is a good move... teachers with no qualfications have no business working in Thailand.. it's about time they cleaned this up.

The only people who should be scared are the ones with no real degree and no formal teaching qualifications.. about time they sorted out the backpacker teachers here.

Why do you think having a degree is necessary??? I do not have a degree but I am more than qualified to teach English as a second language What qualifies you to teach ESL????. I have met many stupid degree educated people in my time, it is just a piece of paper saying that you spent 3 years partying and managed to fit in some study around that time :c).

I was under the impression that a certain level of education is required in order to become a teacher almost anywhere in the world.

Being a native speaker of English with Kindergarten level education (I do not address this to you personally - only in general!) does not give anybody the right to teach others ESL!

How about architects or engineers designing buildings etc.; do you think they don't need a degree?

How about doctors................?

Yes there are bad teachers with degrees but this is the way with every profession.

opalhort

I thought that most of Khun Jakrapob's remarks yesterday referred to the international schools, not to the language centers and government prathom and matayom schools. The MoE minister de jour, however, makes a good point: "Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang said Saturday ....In the past, hiring unqualified or poorly qualified foreign teachers was too easy, while good teachers would demand salary and working conditions which made it difficult to hire them, he said." In the past, you got what you paid for. 100K to 150K per month, gets you some really sharp teachers. 25K per month, gets you poor teachers (generally, although that was my full time salary in 2004/2005 with a degree, TEFL, and experience).

So, pay for what you're going to get. Run out all the underqualified teachers, and PAY THROUGH THE NOSE for very well qualified teachers, if that's what you can afford to do. Which simply will not happen in 20 more years. Meanwhile, even half-Thai children won't get good education, and Thais won't learn language. Never mind, maybe Chinese will be the needed language, and Thais won't learn that, either. Thailand likes being xenophobic; it works well in many ways to preserve the old culture, the old power balances, etc. But a workforce of poorly educated employees who can't use Chinese or English is not going to advance this country economically.

The UK have only just started to get to grips with the background checks on staff in schools following some high profile lapses (knee & elbow jerk I think). All staff now have to have Crminal Record (CRB) checks, for which you are given a certificate if passed. It would certainly be easy enough for the Thai's to insist upon production of this certificate and make follow up checks in the UK if required. Not sure what systems are in place in US or Oz etc. Only this robust approach will prevent undesireable individuals fleeing to Thailand to find a safe teaching haven.

Follow up checks in the UK ?..you gotta be joking. I know of an English teacher at Ramhamkaeng Uni who used his position to drug rape a teenage student just before he returned to Nottingham. I emailed the details to the Nottingham Police, Nottingham education dept., and a local Nottingham newspaper in that order and do you know what . They just did'nt want to hear about it. I even gave his name to them.

Did you read the first line of my post?

In any case, background criminal checks are only part of the solution. They may catch some undesireables. The most effective solution is the follow up on references. It is much more likely that these will uncover facts about a teachers past in relation to convictions, disciplinary problems and bogus qualifications.

If the Thai government were serious about this, they would not let the schools do it themselves. A central agency should be set up to do the background checks and then issue permits to would be teachers. They should charge a fee for this, for either the teacher or the school to pay. Teachers will all complain about the BS and cost. Children would be safer as a result. Of course, this will never happen.

If I may, I would like to post a very interesting quotation from a sometime poster here on Thaivisa, Paully, quoted from another forum.
But how are foreign teachers in Thailand to be vetted from their country of origin, Haltest?

To take our country of origin, Britain, as an example, there is no way the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) would release details of a police record direct to organisations in Thailand. The data on the police records is clearly protected under the Data Protection Act in the UK - and quite rightly, too. If you try to obtain it yourself, how would the Thai school know whether the result was not forged? Would they know what a UK police record report looked like? As you're probably aware, if you're accepted for an education degree (eg a PGCE) in the UK or if you apply for a job as a teacher in the UK then you need to apply for a CRB check. But this is very much an exception (it took a change in the law to do it) and the CRB will only release details to UK colleges/schools on its approved list who have membership numbers at the CRB and the applicant and not to anyone else. To require the CRB to release details to other organisations, such as schools in Thailand, would take another change in the law. It's a non-starter, in reality.

Even supposing it were possible to obtain a CRB check for a Thai school, who would pay for it (it's about 35 pounds a pop and is only valid for 6 months) and what happens about the delay? When I applied for a CRB check last year via my uni (I was doing a PGCE) I had to wait 2.5 months for the result. If the TES forum is anything to go by, I was pretty lucky - others were waiting 3 or even 4 months. Would the teacher be allowed to work temporarily before being sacked due to a 'negative' CRB result (this in itself opens a can of worms - who decides if, say, a speeding conviction should disqualify you from school employment) or should he have to wait 3 or 4 months before starting teaching? At that rate there would be no farang teachers for most Thai schools. Finally, the CRB has come under fire recently for giving a number of 'wrong' results - people have been banned from school employment/courses because of 'mistakes' on the CRB results and have then had, expensively and stressfully, to try to clear their names.

Thanks for the info, Paully.

{Link removed by Admin }

In my previous working lfe I worked for employers requiring background checks from the FBI and Interpol so that I may det DOD clearances. I merely signed a third party waiver giving them permission to procure this information. I think they got it by wire or email with hardcopy arriving later. If there was any expense involved, my prospective employer payed it.

My sister, who is a teacher in America, must furnish to her school district (at her expense) certified criminal background check and original fingerprint documentation taken by the police of her hometown. So, to answer your question "who will pay for it"? The applicant will pay for it. Hopefully higher salaries will come about as a result of the additional expense, but maybe not.

So let me get this straight ! According to the new laws they are 'going' to impose if you have qualifications,it means you are less likely to be a sex offender ? If you have a fake degree then you could be a danger to children ?

Yes I agree a lot of 'Brits' do have fak credentials but this guys credentials were good but yet again...he is American !

A person working with "fake" credentials ., regardless of nationality, has shown a willingness to deceive and engage in unlawful acts. It is criminal behavior. What parent would want their children exposed to these types of people? These very acts. if known, would exclude them visa entry from most countries.

So let me get this straight ! According to the new laws they are 'going' to impose if you have qualifications,it means you are less likely to be a sex offender ? If you have a fake degree then you could be a danger to children ?

Yes I agree a lot of 'Brits' do have fak credentials but this guys credentials were good but yet again...he is American !

A person working with "fake" credentials ., regardless of nationality, has shown a willingness to deceive and engage in unlawful acts. It is criminal behavior. What parent would want their children exposed to these types of people? These very acts. if known, would exclude them visa entry from most countries.

I agree, also those who are employed teaching but only possesing a tourist visa are also deceiving the gov't should be kicked out! The situation is terrible now, the poor teachers who have a BA,Tefl, and experience can't get a jop at a Thai school because all those deceiving fakers out there are stealing the big money 25k a month jobs.

I agree, also those who are employed teaching but only possesing a tourist visa are also deceiving the gov't should be kicked out! The situation is terrible now, the poor teachers who have a BA,Tefl, and experience can't get a jop at a Thai school because all those deceiving fakers out there are stealing the big money 25k a month jobs.

I agree this is a problem, I have been approached by a number local schools asking me if I'd be interested in teaching in their schools on a full time basis. I'm not interested, so I try to put them off by saying that I don't have a work permit or a TEFL, but they don't care they are so desperate for English teachers from the UK, USA, Canada etc that they even offer to pay 30k a month. This is a big problem and needs to be addressed first as they are not even concerned about correct permits and qualifications, forget background checks.

The whole, visa, work permit situation in Thailand is really messed up, but does anyone see it improving in the next few years??

I agree this is a problem, I have been approached by a number local schools asking me if I'd be interested in teaching in their schools on a full time basis. I'm not interested, so I try to put them off by saying that I don't have a work permit or a TEFL, but they don't care they are so desperate for English teachers from the UK, USA, Canada etc that they even offer to pay 30k a month. This is a big problem and needs to be addressed first as they are not even concerned about correct permits and qualifications, forget background checks.

The whole, visa, work permit situation in Thailand is really messed up, but does anyone see it improving in the next few years??

I think with the amount of schools employing non native speakers to teach conversation as there is such a shortage i wouldnt see it improve for a while. I wont go into the degree/no degree deabate as thats another thing.

I see the governements reaction as a typical "lets do something to look good" thing that is going to cause more problems than it will fix, especially with China opening up the teaching market and decent teachers are starting to look elswhere as its already hard here.

Didnt the goverment say all classrooms would be air conditioned and at 21c as well not long ago?

Exactly! And these criminal acts should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That's what laws are for- to police the conscience of the public. Print up some borchures with nice glossy prints of the average prison cell and maybe a shot or two of this years Miss Katoey Klong Toey prison beauty contest pagents. And then have your perspective applicant sign a form listing the penalties invloved and terms for incarceration. They'll think twice about procceeding with the interview; I guarantee it.

But sadly, that would require a strong judiciary. And as i see it, one of the most tragic flaws this country seems unwilling to address is the judiciary system.

Maybe, since we are talking farang here, maybe their moneis [assuming they had any] couldn't buy them the favors so many other criminals here have secured. But that's beside the point. A couple of high profile prosecutions of imposters with credientials being imprisoned would make a world of difference.

Edited by GoodHeart

I live in a small villege in north west thailand, and have resided here for 6 years. At the beginning of this term I was approched by the local high school to come and assist with their english instruction, for 2 hours a week, this has grown to 6 hours. I do not have a degree in education and in no way feel qualified to be teaching. For my service they give me 100฿ per hour. If there are any qualified teachers that are willing to take on this type of task I would be glad to yield this opportunity to them. I'm quite sure they would give more hours to the right person. I would have gladly given the school 2 hours aweek with no compensation. But my wife would of killed me.. As i said i'm not qualified so save the critizem. I just do the best i can for my adopted home.

quote name='opalhort' date='2006-08-19 09:23:03' post='855689']

Steven, I have no sympathy for the Thailand schools. Background checks should be conducted on all teachers -- not just Farangs. Running criminal history checks are not that difficult and can be run through Interpol. Too bad that some teachers will be inconvenienced and even possibly discharged. This is a small price to pay for the safety of the children in Thailand, don't you think?

I second this statement!

Our son (Grade 7) is attending a very large bi-lingual school which has many branches throughout BKK and employs a large number of foreign teachers (not only "farang"), some of whom I would regard as "shady characters".

opalhort

The UK have only just started to get to grips with the background checks on staff in schools following some high profile lapses (knee & elbow jerk I think). All staff now have to have Crminal Record (CRB) checks, for which you are given a certificate if passed. It would certainly be easy enough for the Thai's to insist upon production of this certificate and make follow up checks in the UK if required. Not sure what systems are in place in US or Oz etc. Only this robust approach will prevent undesireable individuals fleeing to Thailand to find a safe teaching haven.

Dear Charma,

Robust approach?? It is my view that these checks in the UK are a money-making operation for the outside consultancy that is charged with doing them, and are just part of the general meaningless "watch-your-back" cover-all solutions that exist in the UK. In the case of Soham was the check robust?

I agree that it is not good for Thailand to become a dumping ground for western paedophile teachers, but how much evidence is there of that? One American teacher caught for an act he committed outside of Thailand. In this case doesn't it appears that the Thai proceedures have worked?

From what little I know there are some western teachers in Thailand especially in language schools for whom a quaification check might be in order but a rose-coloured view of apparently robust Britih proceedures would do nothing but create worse bureaucracy.

It is a difficult problem with no easy solution.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Bill

You are the second person who seems to have had trouble reading my post. Can I point out the first sentence to you?

Your post actually supports all the points I raised. The UK has recently found that you DO need to check the background of all people who work with children. The Soham case (although he was not a teacher) and other recent cases have shown that the system was far from robust. They are now trying to get a grip on the situation, as I said in my post. Criminal convictions are only part of the background, so I will say this again, as no-one seems to be able to tell me what the problem would be:

CHECK REFERENCES - CHECK REFERNCES - CHECK REFERENCES!!!!

It is easy and inexpensive to do this. Of course, all those who have lied about their quals or experience will be found out!

Jakrapob Penkair, deputy secretary to the prime minister, told reporters the education ministry would develop tougher measures to screen teachers, including reviewing their overseas qualifications, and stricter enforcement of visa regulations.

"Currently most of the teachers in international schools are illegally working on tourist visas. :o:D "Jakob The Liar" needs to find out the truth about international schools. Now if he had said, alphabet-lettered language schools, he'd be right, but for international schools... he's... well... he's living up to his name. So to prevent such incidents in the future, we must take pro-active measures," Jakrapob said.

He blamed lax controls for a series of scandals in Thailand's international schools.

But one prestigious Christian school where Karr had a two-week trial in June said that it had run a background check on him through customs authorities and found nothing. Customs??? why Customs??? To find out if he had any outstanding import taxes not paid? :D:D

"He was not on the blacklist," said Banchong Champowong, assistant director of the Bangkok Christian College's English immersion programme.

The school had decided not to hire Karr because he was too strict with the students, Banchong said.

Thailand deported a 57-year-old American teacher, Steven Erik Prowler, in May after he was arrested last year on sex abuse charges.

Thaivisa Threads:

Perv Teacher Under Arrest !

Thailand Deports USA Teacher

Paedophiles called to account < - - funny pic on this one.

During the investigation police found in his apartment some 100 photos of naked Asian boys and a journal describing a decade of sexual encounters with underage boys.

Karr faces no charges in Thailand, but officials have revoked his visa and said he could be deported to the United States as soon as this weekend.

- AFP

Sorry, just couldn't let this one go by:

name='aussimike' date='2006-08-19 11:29:01' post='855349']

All I can say is that this is already in place - the MoE introduced stiffer regulations about 2 months ago. I can quote from experience that there are a lot of teachers here working or applying for jobs with no experience or qualifications apart from the fact that they can speak englilsh = not necessary to even be able to write properly, just as long as you can speak the native tongue. I am responsible for employing native and local teachers at my school and the quality of some amazes me, and its no wonder that the Thai students have problems learning e English and let alone speaking as the accent as so strong with many teachers from the Phillipines teaching e English here. Run on sentences. Good case in point is those unclear-who/what does "those" refer to?- out there with qualifications from Trinity College - located in Spain and , where you can get any degree online for the small sum of about 25 pund pounds UK -- anything you like , except MD, amazing.

Then there are the local e English schools who have teachers working for them who have no experience apart from being an English speaker, and these guys use there their positions as teachers to find ladies either thru through the classroom or online and offer them private lessons in their own rooms , . . my My lady friend has had this experience with Brit Council where she contacted a teacher from this organization and he tried to convince her to take private lessons with him, but she is a little smarter than that. Also , some of the religious schools who conduct English lessons but use M missionaries from the US to conduct classes and teach just from the book, no experience, and some very young.

You're responsible for employing teachers? Forgive me, nothing personal, but I hope they have better skills than the one who is hiring them. If you have a degree you help make the point that it doesn't mean much. If you don't, well, then I guess the opposite point is made.

I think the whole degree/no degree, credentials/fake credentials argument is off-topic here- and spelling wars are boring. We've done all that before in the teacher's forum- check it out there.

The crackdown on foreign teachers is supposed to be prompted by this guy Karr, who had excellent credentials and no police record. No one can show that any of the proposed "crackdowns" would have caught Karr, or that any of them would do much to stop the teachers who already work illegally from doing so. All they will do is make life harder for a small fraction of the foreign teachers here who do go by the book. However, if that keeps the money flowing into the Thai school owners' hands as they pay their 25k to unregulated immigrant labour and clean up on student fees, then I guess everyone who matters will be happy.

I also haven't seen anyone who can explain what the schools and the parents are supposed to do with the thousands of kids while waiting for current teachers to be cleared, if anyone's still recommending that- or is it too high a price to pay for the kids' safety? This phrase quite often has the effect of shortcircuiting common sense. Of course there are pragmatic limitations to what people will pay for kids' safety. We're not going to coat the walls and floors of the schools with foam rubber to prevent them from cracking their heads. We're not going to tolerate having video monitoring of our homes to make sure we're "good people." I'd suggest that closing EP programs for 4-6 months while waiting for all the teachers to be cleared is another one of those things that, indeed, is "too high a price to pay" with relatively low return. Chances are nearly all of the workers who have real work permits will check out ok (no serious criminal record), and the schools and parents should bet on that.

"Steven"

I think the whole degree/no degree, credentials/fake credentials argument is off-topic here- and spelling wars are boring. We've done all that before in the teacher's forum- check it out there.

"Steven"

I agree, that's why I apologized...but in a topic like this, when someone representing the educational system posts, it does relate to the topic, or at least some of the other posts. Anyway, you make excellent points on the unenforceable proposals being put forth by the authorities. Look at the situation in the US- with all their safeguards there are still cases of teachers doing all kinds of bizzare things. The latest seems to be a number of female teachers having sex with high school boys. Until the Thai government is willing to spend money on decent salaries for teachers (especially the Thai teachers!), they are going to get, in most cases, what they pay for.

They already have standards in place

Section 43 The Profession of Teachers, Educational Institution Administrators and Education Administrators shall be a licensed Profession under this Act. Other licensed Professions shall be as stipulated in ministerial regulations.

No one shall practice a licensed Profession without a License under this Act, except in any of the following cases:

(1) Those occasionally providing knowledge to learners in any Educational Institution as guest educational lecturers;

(2) Those whose primary Profession does not relate to the teaching and learning process, but has the occasional duty to teach;

(3) Students, trainees or those with a practical training license apprenticing or training under the supervision of Professional Educators, subject to the criteria, procedures and conditions set forth by the Teachers Council of Thailand Board;

(4) Those arbitrarily offering educational courses;

(5) Those teaching in any learning center under the law governing national education or learning establishments arbitrarily operated by nonformal educational agencies, individuals, families, communities, community organizations, local administrative organizations, private organizations, Professional organizations, religious institutions, business establishments, hospitals, medical institutions, charitable shelters and other social institutions;

(6) Public and private instructors, Educational Institution Administrators and Education Administrators at the higher education level;

(7) Education Administrators of a level higher than educational districts;

(8) Other persons as designated by the Teachers Council of Thailand Board.

Section 44 Applicants for Licenses to practice a licensed Profession shall possess the qualifications and have no prohibited characteristics as follows:

(a) Qualifications

(1) Having an age of fully twenty years or older;

(2) Having an education degree or equivalent or other educational qualification accredited by the Teachers Council of Thailand;

(3) Having completed a practical training in an Educational Institution in accordance with an educational curriculum of not less than one year and having passed the practical training requirements in accordance with the criteria, procedures and conditions as set out by the Teachers Council of Thailand Board;

(:o Prohibited characteristics

(1) Having improper behavior or immorality;

(2) Being incompetent or quasi-incompetent;

(3) Having previously been sentenced to imprisonment in any case, which, in the opinion of the Teachers Council of Thailand, may bring dishonor upon the Profession.

Teaching of English set for huge upgrade

The Cabinet is to debate tomorrow a proposal to earmark Bt2.5 BILLION to improve teaching standards of English and Chinese in schools nationwide in a four-year plan to upgrade the English curriculum.

The Education Ministry hopes to ensure that half of the students studying English become proficient and 10 per cent attain the "excellent" level.

According to the plan, some 60,000 graduates will each year enter the job market with the ability to communicate in the language.

The ministry plans to revamp the English curriculum to focus on communication skills.

The plan calls for setting up a model school in every district, raising awareness of English studies and encouraging the practice of the language outside the classroom.

Some 20 per cent of secondary, vocational and university students will be encouraged to study and master Chinese.

About 4,000 students are expected to specialise in Chinese studies and some 100,000 workers should be adept in the language.

The Nation

I have to say this is a good move... teachers with no qualfications have no business working in Thailand.. it's about time they cleaned this up.

The only people who should be scared are the ones with no real degree and no formal teaching qualifications.. about time they sorted out the backpacker teachers here.

Why do you think having a degree is necessary??? I do not have a degree but I am more than qualified to teach English as a second language. I have met many stupid degree educated people in my time, it is just a piece of paper saying that you spent 3 years partying and managed to fit in some study around that time :c).

No wonder the children in the los are thick as you,You do need to learn

Why do you think I am uneducated? I just don't have a degree, maybe you should read some of the previous posts and relalize I don't teach English in Thailand. Or maybe reading isn't one of your strong points. As for being thick, hhmm, I retired at the age of 37 having worked for 15 years for large international banks and also being the director of two I.T companies. You'll still be working to you die loser :o

I know lots of retiree, like yourself, who teach on a part-time basis. Why don't you do that?

Permits and qualifictions are not necessary when teaching conversational English.

This is Thailand and I hope it stays the way it is!

I live in a small villege in north west thailand, and have resided here for 6 years. At the beginning of this term I was approched by the local high school to come and assist with their english instruction, for 2 hours a week, this has grown to 6 hours. I do not have a degree in education and in no way feel qualified to be teaching. For my service they give me 100฿ per hour. If there are any qualified teachers that are willing to take on this type of task I would be glad to yield this opportunity to them. I'm quite sure they would give more hours to the right person. I would have gladly given the school 2 hours aweek with no compensation. But my wife would of killed me.. As i said i'm not qualified so save the critizem. I just do the best i can for my adopted home.

That,s why you are getting paid 100baht and the children are thick

quote name='opalhort' date='2006-08-19 09:23:03' post='855689']

Steven, I have no sympathy for the Thailand schools. Background checks should be conducted on all teachers -- not just Farangs. Running criminal history checks are not that difficult and can be run through Interpol. Too bad that some teachers will be inconvenienced and even possibly discharged. This is a small price to pay for the safety of the children in Thailand, don't you think?

I second this statement!

Our son (Grade 7) is attending a very large bi-lingual school which has many branches throughout BKK and employs a large number of foreign teachers (not only "farang"), some of whom I would regard as "shady characters".

opalhort

Well, I think what needajob needs is some tutoring in the proper use of forum software. :o

In the meantime, could the mods purge the evidence of his steep learning curve here? :D The thread's readability will surely benefit.

Karr may not have been here long anyway...or at least not the likeness of the guy we saw in those media pics.

The Manager newspaper reports an AFP story, quoting from something called the Sunday Morning Post, which said he came here for a sex change operation.

He had laser treatment to control the hair growing on his face, and was booked at a clinic for a sex change operation. Had been in the care of various sex-change clinics here for months (they do the counselling thing first).

The newspaper spoke to someone at one clinic, who confirmed he was one of their patients.

http://www.manager.co.th/Around/ViewNews.a...D=9490000105943

Lacoste, is your school a THAI school, which is really the type of school I'm talking about, or an International (foreign-managed) one? The International ones can afford to ask for the best, because they pay the best- and they plan ahead. These two characteristics are not common in normal Thai schools.

Yes it is an international, foreign-managed school. I agree that only a relativly small number of schools can realisticly do this.

Well I know I am dreaming but take an idea from Singapore (5 year PR before you get a job).....

1. Thailand issues 5 year PR/work permits to qualified teachers in their home countries

2. Proof of qualifications and experience checked before arrival

3. Proof of lack of criminal record from police in home country (not perfect but at least something)

4. Get AND check references

Then a teacher can come to Thailand with a 5 year (multiple entry) no hassle work permit (with integral teachers lic.) ready to work from day one after all the checks have been done! Just require that a letter is sent to immigration with the work address everytime a job is taken

Provisional 1 year (extendeable) could be given to those with less than the required quals (ie TEFL but no degree) and those with no teaching experience especially could also be given restriced permits for "adults" only

Allow the prov. holders to upgrade their permits with quals or teaching competency tests.....

After 5 years allow a teacher with 3 good referees of support from directors/senior staff get a lifetime teaching permit in Thailand..............

Then chase after illegal teachers (especially children).Easy as illegal teachers have 20 1 month visa stamps.... :o

Ok I will stop dreaming :D

Well, I think what needajob needs is some tutoring in the proper use of forum software. :o

In the meantime, could the mods purge the evidence of his steep learning curve here? :D The thread's readability will surely benefit.

Will do. One-line, off-topic, inflammatory, sarcastic comments which add nothing to the dialogue can be trashed.

Added: needajob's posts (about five of them), the responses (five more), and 45 minutes of my Sunday afternoon, have all been deleted. Carry on, please.

Nemo,

I agree your dream is ideal for Thailand. However:

1. There aren't enough qualified (B.Ed, M.Ed, with a few years teaching in their own country) teachers in all of the U.S. and Britain willing to work for 25-30K in a typical Thai government school position- not to mention giving up seniority, pension benefits, social security, etc., etc. In fact, there aren't even enough qualified THAI teachers in Thailand to fill the positions now needed. Thailand is lucky as it is to get people who have related college degrees in the EP positions willing to work for those salaries.

In fact, there are quite a number of schools in the U.S. in depressed areas that make do with teachers who don't have Ed. degrees.

2. On the flip side, there aren't enough schools in Thailand with directors that would run the place even half-professionally enough for teachers who were used to western or international standards of school administration. Many of the private EP programs currently in existence in Bangkok (including Bangkok Christian College) *used* to hire from overseas exclusively, much in the way you recommend, only to discover that they would quit when exposed to the unprofessional, counterproductive, and often even abusive behavior of the school's administrations.

SriRacha John,

Yes, I imagine the true international schools will be quite interested to hear that suddenly "most" of their teachers are illegal, especially since most of them have the fastest track of all issuing WP's and so forth.

"Steven"