Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today throughout Thailand

webfact

Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today

1-23-2015-9-55-34-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Restricted alcoholic beverages sale times will take effect today throughout the country.

Alcohol beverages can now only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 pm every day.

An announcement was made today by the Prime Minister’s Office on the 2015 law regulating alcohol sales which takes effect today.

At all other times, alcohol sales are strictly forbidden with the exception of at international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.

Director-general of the office of the Alcohol Control Committee Mr Samarn Futrakun stated the core substance of the new regulation remains the same in that the permissible duration for daily alcohol sales to be capped at 10 hours.

Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Also, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.

Violation of the law is subject six months imprisonment and/or a 10,000 Baht fine.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/restriction-liquor-sale-time-takes-effect-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-24

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's a real idea for once to set a standard...actually enforce the law for not only the few weeks while its new and cool but for good and set an example that Thai laws are not the same as a Pattaya bargirl ... a one night wonder

The only change from the old rules, as far as I can see, is that the provision for purchasing "bulk" quantities outside the prescribed hours is now against the rules. This will affect businesses not the average punter.

Of course enforcement is another matter entirely.

Either my englisch is so bad or the article is poorely written:

>Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.

So this means according to the new regulations that discotheques, pubs, Bars, Karaokes etc. are allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm up to midnight? That would be crazy! And that would by the way only be 3 (!) hours instead of five as stated in the article.

>Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

So this means according to the new regulations that discotheques, pubs, Bars, Karaokes etc. are allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm up to midnight? That would be crazy! And that would by the way only be 3 (!) hours instead of five as stated in the article.

Yeah, the only way I can make the math work on this one is if they are trying to say that regular restaurants can sell alcohol for five hours less per day than entertainment venues.

Restaurant: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm - midnight.

Entertainment venue: 9:00 am - midnight.

So the bars in Bangkok are really going to stop serving alcohol at midnight now?

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.
The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Yea! More tea money!

The only change from the old rules, as far as I can see, is that the provision for purchasing "bulk" quantities outside the prescribed hours is now against the rules. This will affect businesses not the average punter.

well that blows my macro trip

meed to go early

Is this the beginning of the CLOSURE of the many SEX bars? Remember a few months back the big man in Bangkok did a "tour" of the girly bars? And he did not like them?

Instead of CLOSING them, Restrict them to the point of being un - viable.

This is what i see.

Bye bye tourism for Thailand. And BTW this type of tourism for Thailand goes back many hundreds of years.

Thais always had a reputation for Certain HOSPITALITIES.

A country once called Land of the free, now ruled by new moralistic dinosaurs.

You forgot something.

My take is:

A country once called Land of the free, now ruled by new moralistic hypocritical retards where tourism accounts for 10+% of GDP.

Is this the beginning of the CLOSURE of the many SEX bars? Remember a few months back the big man in Bangkok did a "tour" of the girly bars? And he did not like them?

Instead of CLOSING them, Restrict them to the point of being un - viable.

This is what i see.

Bye bye tourism for Thailand. And BTW this type of tourism for Thailand goes back many hundreds of years.

Thais always had a reputation for Certain HOSPITALITIES.

No. This has nothing whatsoever to do with sex. Why should it?

legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.

So what is the definition of a 'legally registered entertainment venue'? Do western-style pubs etc. fall under this category? If not, you're going to see empty pubs in the afternoon. Pity a tourist wanting an afternoon beer. Land of Gritted Teeth. But wait...you can buy your way out of any rule or restriction.

At least the boys in brown have new possibilities to collect.thumbsup.gif

The small wholesale shops can do a siesta between 11 and 2 for any bar deliveries.

Maybe now also Thais will start celibrating their birthday "normal" time instead of a day/midnight early.cheesy.gif

Guys don't forget to get loaded earlier, because after midnight, no more drinks and/or go home before midnight, so you have time to shop at 7-11

I agree.

That seems to be the only change from the old law.

A law that has always been ignored in my area by all except Seven eleven and Tesco.

Nothing has changed for the "average Joe".

Yeah, the only way I can make the math work on this one is if they are trying to say that regular restaurants can sell alcohol for five hours less per day than entertainment venues.

So the bars in Bangkok are really going to stop serving alcohol at midnight now?

It means that restaurants will serve your red wine in a coffee cup instead of a wine glass.

Been there, done that on more than one election day when a booze ban was theoretically in effect.

coffee1.gifcrazy.gifcoffee1.gifcrazy.gif

It means that restaurants will serve your red wine in a coffee cup instead of a wine glass.

Been there, done that on more than one election day when a booze ban was theoretically in effect.

coffee1.gifcrazy.gifcoffee1.gifcrazy.gif

I don't it means that at all, as long as the restaurant has a licence.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This law only seems to apply to the big sellers, 7-11, Tesco and so on. All the small family shops will get an extra income, because they don't care about this restriction - and this makes them really happy, courtesy of the General.

It applies to ALL sellers. The mom and pops just flout the law.

No mention of hotels. Can a registered guest buy a beer between 2 and 5?

Are they seriously going to enforce these laws for bars and restaurants? Midnight closing? No afternoon beers? The tourism industry is struggling already and this really will affect it if it's true and it's applied in tourist locations. Ridiculous!