Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today throughout Thailand

webfact

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the short answer is no

under the liquor licensing laws they are "Entertainment venues in a tourist area" and have hours stipulated on their license

You say this as a guess or a fact...

As looking at a bar license now, I see no hours of sale marked on it.

Theres no different license for 'a tourist area'.. There are special entertainment zones, these are not all tourist driven, RCA etc is hardly a tourist area.

I think your just making it up as you go along without any fact or experience. Please show a copy of such a license.

Before accusing me of making stuff up , go and Google it,here I will help you, click this link

The link, says nothing to do with what I asked.. Maybe you have a comprehension problem.. I will try it simpler..

You say they "have hours stipulated on their license".. I have looked at one.. Theres no hours on it..

Either 2 things, firstly different areas or classes of establishment have different alcohol sales licenses or 2 your making it up..

So I ask again.. What liquor license has, as you claim, hours of operation on the license ??

if you followed the link it would have taken you to a google search(actually a let me google that for you google search), first result would have been a Phuket Gazette article that quotes ....

Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory remark removed

I read it.. it doesnt state that hours of operation are on the license.. And I know for a fact that normal beer bar licenses they are not on there..

You maintain they are..

Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory remark removed

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-unaffected-by-new-drink-regulations-for-now-50727.php

The new regulations state that Alcohol beverages can now only be sold from 11.00am – 2.00pm and from 5.00pm – 12.00pm every day.

The only exception to the new regulations is international airport terminals, meaning that while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am, can only do so up to midnight. If this is the case, it will have a huge effect on Patong, Kata etc.

When asked about the new regulations today (January 25), head of the Entertainment Association of Patong, Weerawit Kuresombut, said, “Nothing has changed or been adapted according to the new regulation.

“We spoke to Patong Police today, and they said we have to wait for a provincial order.

“This issue is sensitive. But the police are happy to help follow the regulations,” he said.

The police reaffirmed to The Phuket News that they are awaiting the provincial order.

??? So in the afternoon, between 2 PM and 5 PM I can't walk into a 7-11 and buy a bottle of beer?

Yes exactly, but then neither could you before!

Yes you could. If you lived in Pattaya, you can walk into any 7-11 or Family Mart 24 hours a day and buy a beer. Never was enforced here in the 3 years that I have lived here. Starting today, I cannot tell you. Didn't buy one.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

??? So in the afternoon, between 2 PM and 5 PM I can't walk into a 7-11 and buy a bottle of beer?

Yes you could. If you lived in Pattaya, you can walk into any 7-11 or Family Mart 24 hours a day and buy a beer. Never was enforced here in the 3 years that I have lived here. Starting today, I cannot tell you. Didn't buy one.

Really? Surprised to hear this, since here on Samui at least Tesco and all 7-11s wouldn't sell alcohol between 2-5PM, the times even seemed to be connected to the cash register.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Really? Surprised to hear this, since here on Samui at least Tesco and all 7-11s wouldn't sell alcohol between 2-5PM, the times even seemed to be connected to the cash register.

Same in chiang mai.. and in isaan.. And in hua hin.. Just a few of the last year I can think of.

It does seem to be franchise dependant tho.. I also hear that family mart less strict than 7-11..

Who cares really? Nobody. I don´t drink. No beer, no whiskey, no alcohol at all. But for all people who like to enjoy alcohol there are still thousands of those just-around-the-corner-shops that sell alcohol around the clock. I think that the military guys are more involved in drugs. That´s why they want to reduce the use of alcohol and promote the use of drugs in their very own subtle way.

Does anyone believe that this law actually had any noticeable effect on underage drinking, which I believe is the reason for its invention?

As in most cases, if the idiots properly enforced the perfectly fit-for-purpose laws they have in place, they wouldn't have to keep inventing new ones or having "crackdowns".

Absolutely no noticeable effect on underage drinking.

It appears that it would be too difficult to ask for ID if the seller was in doubt.

Ever since the introduction of these stupid selling times I have wondered why they never thought of that.

It would allow the grown-ups on holiday freedom to do..................... what normal people do on holiday.

Relax and enjoy should be where they are heading, instead of restrictions here and restrictions there. Bring the true smile back to LOS...................wink.png

Indeed it is. The register keeps track of what is sold and would be evidence of wrongdoing, that's why our local 7-11 writes it all down on a piece of paper, presumably to rung up during legal hours.

PM me for location.

Edited by halloween

Personally, never quite understood this law.... Especially in Issan.... Beer doesn't seem to apply, but bigger stores, have this in effect. If all else fails you can go to the local distiller...

Personally, I like Leo beer... Just a thought.....thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Is this the beginning of the CLOSURE of the many SEX bars? Remember a few months back the big man in Bangkok did a "tour" of the girly bars? And he did not like them?

Instead of CLOSING them, Restrict them to the point of being un - viable.

This is what i see.

Bye bye tourism for Thailand. And BTW this type of tourism for Thailand goes back many hundreds of years.

Thais always had a reputation for Certain HOSPITALITIES.

No. This has nothing whatsoever to do with sex. Why should it?

I agree with both of you. This new regulation has nothing specifically to do with sex. But marcusd is also on to something with regard to tourism. All these new rules are part of an overall initiative to rebrand Thailand. They want foreigners to behave as they would in places like Singapore, not like they've seen in movies like the Hangover 2 or the Beach.

Singapore does not have such bullshit laws.

And you can party until morning.

Does anyone know why alcohol can't be purchased between 2-5pm, what is so significant about those 3 hours?

Perhaps one of our elder Brits could explain it; British pub laws were as restrictive not too many years ago.

When i was young pubs opened from noon till 3 in the afternoon and then again fro 5pm till 9pm, they did not open on Sundays.

Only bona fide travellers could drink outside those hours. Where I lived they used to run a bus on a Saturday evening to a pub just over the town border about 5 miles away. There is nothing new in dodging the licensing laws.

I was brought up in the north of Scotland and the laws were a bit different to England. It was quite a surprise when Scotland was first to make the leap into all day opening in the UK.

AND , Much excitement and interpretations about this new / old law. A key innovation is arguably. Buy alcohol 1:55 pm and then slowly drink after 2 pm, this is no longer possible or allowed. But now i time for people in TV to report and post their experiences, how this law is complied in practice now. There all places ( Pubs, Bars,Restaurants) in LOS now obey the law?

For at least a year I have been using Tops Home Delivery to order online "heavy" stuff, Soda, Water and alcohol (beer and Scotch mainly), I could Order in the morning - before 1.00 pm - and it was delivered after 3.30 pm the same day.

A very useful Service.

I went to the Tops site an hour or so ago intending to Order as usual and all pages relevant to alcohol - Whisky, Wine, Beer etc. were only showing "Your Search found no results".

I'm off to Villa shortly and will see what changes have taken effect there.

Patrick

There is no such time as 12:00 p.m., in which p.m. means post meridiem. In fact, 12:00 noon is the meridiem, while 12:00 midnight is neither ante nor post meridiem, being equidistant from the meridiem either retrospectively or prospectively. If you mean noon, say noon. If you mean midnight, say midnight.

Are you always so pedantic-you know what I mean.

Only when people speak or write nonsense when precision is required, such as in laws or regulations with the force of law.

For example, when exchanging views informally, it doesn't bother me that a question is punctuated with a dash or a full stop with nary a question mark in sight.

Edited by CajunCruiser

There is no such time as 12:00 p.m., in which p.m. means post meridiem. In fact, 12:00 noon is the meridiem, while 12:00 midnight is neither ante nor post meridiem, being equidistant from the meridiem either retrospectively or prospectively. If you mean noon, say noon. If you mean midnight, say midnight.

Are you always so pedantic-you know what I mean.

Only when people speak or write nonsense when precision is required, such as in laws or regulations with the force of law.

For example, when exchanging views informally, it doesn't bother me that a question is punctuated with a dash or a full stop with nary a question mark in sight.

And indeed as per NIST: Essentially do not use PM or AM they are not accurate.

And for the people that say go 24:00 time, there is lovely gotchas in that... 22:10 anyone. :) if used accross modes. 09:40 or 21:40 crap

To illustrate this, consider that "a.m." and "p.m." are abbreviations for "ante meridiem" and "post meridiem." They mean "before noon" and "after noon," respectively. Of course, noon is neither before nor after noon; it is simply noon. Therefore, neither the "a.m." nor "p.m." designation is correct. On the other hand, midnight is both 12 hours before noon and 12 hours after noon. Therefore, either 12 a.m. or 12 p.m. could work as a designation for midnight, but both would be ambiguous.

To get around the problem, the terms 12 noon and 12 midnight should be used instead of 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. For example, a bank might be open on Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. Or, a grocery store might be open daily until midnight. If you are making schedules, times such as 12:01 a.m. (one minute after midnight), or 11:59 p.m. (one minute before midnight) also can eliminate ambiguity. This method is used by the railroads and airlines.