US: Surveillance video shows killing of clerk over cigarettes near Phoenix

webfact

Video shows killing of clerk over cigarettes near Phoenix
By VIK JOLLY

PHOENIX (AP) — A surveillance video that captured the killing of a Phoenix-area convenience store clerk shows the suspect calmly walking behind the counter after pulling the trigger, stepping over the fallen victim and grabbing several packs of Marlboros before slowly exiting.

The chilling depiction was outlined in a court document Friday as a Maricopa County Superior Court judge set bail at $1 million for 29-year-old Apolinar Altamirano in connection with the shooting of the 21-year-old clerk during his overnight shift.

Altamirano was convicted in 2012 on a burglary charge but never went to prison after getting probation.

He was also banned two weeks ago from the Mesa store where the shooting occurred.

Police say the suspect dumped change on the counter from a jar to pay for cigarettes while repeatedly telling clerk Grant Ronnebeck, "You're not gonna give me my cigarettes." Then, the assailant pulled out a gun and repeated the same statement — even as Ronnebeck tried to hand him a pack — before opening fire.

The victim was shot in the face, a prosecutor told the judge at Altamirano's initial court appearance at which the defendant stood with both hands on a lectern, shifting from side to side and giving his name and date of birth when asked by the court.

Altamirano was arrested after a pursuit across much of the Phoenix area that ended with a crash. In arguing against bail, the prosecutor cited the fact that the suspect is in the country illegally and has a criminal record.

Police searched his car after the killing and located a 9-mm handgun, two packs of Marlboros and several casings of ammunition.

A witness who was in the store at the time of the shooting heard the encounter and "saw smoke in the air near the register" following the shooting, according to police. He then flagged down an officer for help.

A memorial for Ronnebeck began to form at the QuikTrip in Mesa where he was killed, and the company issued a statement expressing how it is devastated and heartbroken over the killing.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-24

• Like 1

Absolutely shocking and without hesitation this grub should be detained and exterminated. No other way to deal with it.

People in society have the right to come home from work.

Where were neversures gun slingers when this crime occurred.

RIP to the victim, may you not die in vein.

• Like 1

Absolutely shocking and without hesitation this grub should be detained and exterminated. No other way to deal with it.

The police weren't there either.

But the illegal immigrant was.

Yes, yes you are right and I knew you would be along to say so.

I guess it would be a safe bet that there's more folk out there with guns than there are Police.

I never said Police would be everywhere either ;)

Have a good weekend chuckd. Nice to see you again.

?

• Like 1

About 10+ years ago the El Salvador thugs started to come into the country in waves. I was working in Los Angeles and San Francisco previous to that, and there already El Salvador's living and working here with no problem.

These thugs are RUTHLESS KILLERS, even the Bloods, Crips and Mexican gangs are scared of them.

• Like 1

As others have said, this is what happens when we open our borders to losers with no money, no skills no education and no morals. Life is cheap in Mexico and sadly all of the cartel violence and day to day events there has immunized the culture of shocking and inhumane acts. What's the big deal about shooting some poor guy over a pack of smokes when you see dimbered bodies left scattered on the streets, tortured people hung from over passes and vans or trucks full of decapitated bodies daily.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 2

The article isn't specific as why he is illegal. Did he enter the country legally and then become illegal due to other factors, such as his conviction? Was there a hearing of deportation scheduled?

I am not justifying his actions, just curious as to why/how a criminal was still in the US.

The article isn't specific as why he is illegal. Did he enter the country legally and then become illegal due to other factors, such as his conviction? Was there a hearing of deportation scheduled?

I am not justifying his actions, just curious as to why/how a criminal was still in the US.

It would appear he was always illegal although in searching I can't find those exact words.

"...But taking the man into custody proved far more difficult and dangerous. Police said Altamirano fled in a vehicle, triggering a high-speed chase on at least two Valley freeways that ended when an officer intentionally rammed the suspect's car, causing it to spin out in southwest Phoenix at 19th Avenue and Buckeye Road.
Altamirano was arrested on suspicion of first-degree murder, armed robbery, burglary, unlawful flight and misconduct involving weapons because he is a prohibited possessor. Court records show Altamirano initially was charged with burglary in 2012, pleaded guilty to an amended charge of facilitation to commit burglary and was placed on probation for two years. A court document said he was born in Mexico and was in the U.S. illegally. A judge had ordered notification of U.S. immigration officials."
"Police said Altamirano had been cited for trespassing at the same store Jan. 9 and was served with an injunction for harassment Jan. 19.
The Maricopa County Attorney's Office said Altamirano is in the U.S. illegally and was out on bond while U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement determined whether he should be deported."

The police weren't there either.

But the illegal immigrant was.

This was an illegal alien. The government has refused to seal the border. There is a lot of drug and illegal gun running across that border, putting all Americans at risk.

I want to know how an illegal alien who's already been convicted of a felony in the US is still in the country. A lot of the illegals cross over to commit crimes because there is simply a lot more money in everything in the US than in Mexico. Guns and drugs are worth more if they sneak them in. They get more value from most robberies.

I see someone who doesn't know a damn thing mentioned my name. He's on my ignore list but someone quoted him.

Unfortunately most employers don't allow people to bring a gun to work even in dangerous places like that, and legally that's the employer's right.

This is NOT about American gun culture. This was an illegal alien who wasn't allowed to own a gun for three reasons. 1. He is a convicted felon and 2. He is a criminal by nature of being an illegal alien. 3. He isn't a citizen of the US and hasn't and couldn't obtain a gun permit.

This is about the idiot Obama refusing repeatedly to seal our borders and to kick out illegal aliens, even after they've committed a serious crime.

With all your knowledge why don't you go there and seal it? Bring Chalerm with you.
  • Like 1

It's so handy to be able to pick up a pistol with ease in the US.

If it was difficult how could you shoot a store clerk in the face when you feel like it?

Walk the guns across the US border with no interference from the federal government. This is just a tiny part of what's wrong with the situation regarding illegal immigration and the Mexico Border. It's not just Mexicans who cross there either. The whole thing is stupid. The federal government won't do anything about it.

It's so handy to be able to pick up a pistol with ease in the US.

If it was difficult how could you shoot a store clerk in the face when you feel like it?

Walk the guns across the US border with no interference from the federal government. This is just a tiny part of what's wrong with the situation regarding illegal immigration and the Mexico Border. It's not just Mexicans who cross there either. The whole thing is stupid. The federal government won't do anything about it.

Sorry i didn't see the bit where it said the gun was from Mexico.

Of course they're almost impossible to get in the US.

You're right....it's Obama's fault the guy got shot in the face.