Thais and Farang Food.

NoshowJones

Bread, cheese, English breakfast, Spaghetti bolognaise, Roast with veg, Chips and many more once they have tasted it. Yet they also have to have spicy food to quell those pangs for Thai food.

An English breakfast, great, but so unhealthy, but I do have the very odd one.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toasted sourdough bread with jelly or peanut butter dunked in coffee...baby back ribs.....the crusts off my pizza - my favorite part also.....french fries....

Took Mrs with and 2 family kids for 1st pizza 28" 1400b of pizza perfection....after the photo op they went to work....pretty soon all the crust was gone along with most of the dough and toppings they liked ----- they didn't care for the cheese so proudly stacked this great big fatty like lump all over my pieces of pizza for Me .... ugly way to look at a pizza....I go get one myself now and bring it home.....

I don't like pizzas, though I wish you could get a bacon and egg with baked beans pizza.

"In my village, there are two 7-11s and one Tesco Express, there is always fresh bread and milk getting delivered, and it goes quite quick. Both Mrs Possum and her family never eat bread or drink milk, I am the only Farang in the village up here in the Boonies, so how much Farang food does your Thai wife and family eat?"

Are you sure??

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKrlzaBNgz-M&ei=DEnFVNbHM8GqyATlpoGABg&usg=AFQjCNHoD9PoTSSefmFZnFq5gbH96ewtwA&sig2=JHtb730KmH9RASRlK-_qMA&bvm=bv.84349003,d.aWw

Yes, I'm sure, there was another one, a loud mouthed drunk from Yorkshire, he died about eighteen months ago, not missed.

Why wife and I eat the same food 90% of the time... a good mix of Farang and Thai, easily 50/50.

Her (my) family, we'll they eat out once or twice a week or so (they live Bangkok), and it's Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Vietnam, Korean... not sure what you call 'farang'.

Us Brits and probably most Amercans, always refer to potatoes, mince, bread, milk, beef, chicken, fish, peas, beans etc etc etc, as Farang food, but I would understand that people from other Western countries like France, Spain etc, will have their own local food. OH, and Greece, sorry Costas, I nearly forgot.

I live near an Industrial Park (where I work) upcountry, this is still rural communities, but there are now 5 7-11 shops on the three km road between my house and the Industrial Park. They are always fully stocked with what the OP mentions, bread and milk, but I rarely see my work colleagues eat any of it and when I am in the shop I have never seen a Thai buying any of that stuff, so I wonder too, who buys it?

My point exactly.

My wife enjoys all kinds of Western food, loves Japanese, and likes but doesn't love some other Asian foods (except Vietnamese, that gets a big thumbs up). The rest of her family no, except for suki, they all like that. Mom, however, who cooks and likes the kind of old fashioned healthy food Thais used to enjoy in preference to the current high fat, high sugar Thai food has, in her 70's, developed a great love for avocados. Now her other kids buy them for her from the big supermarkets and we have to bring her some whenever we have been to somewhere where they are in season.

My wife is like a real chef-cook, and makes no difference in cooking food from all the continents. Guess I am a lucky guy. During the 10 years we spent in Europe she learned to cook just about everything. Her family however, stick to Isaan- and Thai food. But they do not live next door.....?

my wife loves farang food but i have to limited it otherwise she gets a little bit big(sorry babe bit it is the truth)...

A recent study has shown that women who carry a bit of extra weight live longer than men who mention it.

Dude I loled.

Never had a Thai wife, but my Vietnamese and Filipina wives both loved Western foods. Of course, they were both good cooks and I took them outside their home countries to experience other foods. However, I've had Thai girlfriends, before and in-between my marriages, and have Thai friends; they eat Western foods. I see many Thais eating in Western restaurants--ever go to a mall and look in Pizza Hut, McDonald's, KFC?

I live near an Industrial Park (where I work) upcountry, this is still rural communities, but there are now 5 7-11 shops on the three km road between my house and the Industrial Park. They are always fully stocked with what the OP mentions, bread and milk, but I rarely see my work colleagues eat any of it and when I am in the shop I have never seen a Thai buying any of that stuff, so I wonder too, who buys it?

My point exactly.

Gee whiz, I guess they let it spoil then throw it out--ever look at the garbage to see?

My wife (Thai) and I (USA) both love Vegemite. Go figure...

sir thats second rate up the anti..go for marmite much better ...enjoy...wai2.gif

My wife loves marmite ,mind you once when we did not have any she tried vegamite and liked that as well.

Never had a Thai wife, but my Vietnamese and Filipina wives both loved Western foods. Of course, they were both good cooks and I took them outside their home countries to experience other foods. However, I've had Thai girlfriends, before and in-between my marriages, and have Thai friends; they eat Western foods. I see many Thais eating in Western restaurants--ever go to a mall and look in Pizza Hut, McDonald's, KFC?

Yes, I thought about that, I have taken my wife and her son and daughter into KFC, but they never eat anything out of the local 7-11s or Tesco Express.

I have had a Thai wife, ( same one ), for 10 years and regret, deeply, introducing her to any Western foods. Her Ka-Ka foods only cost 5 Baht a bunch, ( dead or alive), whereas my stuff, here, is 6 X as expensive. Prior to me she ate the normal 8 meals a day costing about 40 B total and, now, up to 100 Baht and the meter is still running !

Mines pretty much up for anything except lamb and beef. Many times we go out to eat, I order Thai food, she orders ferang, blows the waitresses minds !

They say that Thais don't like lamb.

Obviously, nobody told my missus - she loves lamb shank. She will also regularly eat beef tenderloin, but she will quickly revert to chickens feet, somtam, bplah rah, nam prik and various bugs in the company of family.

Edited by Jip99

Almost everything I cook or bake my wife also likes to eat: bread, apple pie, cheese cake, pizza, chicken cordon bleu, pork cutlets, chips, mashed potatoes, meat balls, spaghetti, meat loaf, goulash, hamburger, etc. Whenever I do not have to work outside of Thailand and stay at home in Udon I very much like to cook. In the beginning my better half was kind of suspicious about this "strange" farang food. But once she started to taste it there was no way stopping her. But all food must be served with a lot of gravy. She even eats butter now. Freshly made French baguette with butter and ham, served with pickled olives and gerkins, is one of her favourites. Only when I serve cheese she runs away. Ha ha. Cheese on pizza, on spaghetti or on cheese burger is ok for her. But no way she will ever eat the real stuff, like blue cheese. But good for me, so I can enjoy the stinky cheese myself. On the other hand she can enjoy her nam plaa raa without me interfering. I also like to eat her Thai and Isaan cuisine. So, we always have a nice variety of local and international dishes. Interestingly my wife is the only one out of her family who enjoys farang food. Her brothers and sister? No way. 100% Insaaneiros. They not even give it a try. Good for me. Saves me money and work.smile.png

Here is a small selection of dishes I cook and my wife really likes to eat.

post-190032-0-69502800-1422247476_thumb.post-190032-0-20679700-1422247531_thumb.post-190032-0-63347500-1422247550_thumb.post-190032-0-98695800-1422247603_thumb.post-190032-0-95400600-1422247648_thumb.post-190032-0-70398100-1422247760_thumb.post-190032-0-00109900-1422247806_thumb.post-190032-0-81958100-1422247995_thumb.

Edited by Araiwa

Define farang food. Is KFC, pizza company, dunkin donut farang food?

My fiancee eat almost anything farangfood but we lived together in for 5 years back home before moving to thailand. Her family is another question. they almost only eat the fastfoods and and cakes and buns. ok an exception to her mother she eats whatever I make happily...I only make breakfast at home on a daily basis.

The rest of the family thinks bread and yogurt etc. (I make my own sourdough breads, yogurts and cheeses) will make you fat and then they will eat 3-4 portions of sticky rice with custard or sticky rice with mango without blinking. And crunching a couple of donuts is not a problem until I tell them donut is basically deep fried sweet bread dipped in sugar frosting.

But most of my thai friends eat western foods as well but then again I live in bkk and before we moved here we where in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Evolare

I was previously married to a Thai Lady, now in a relationship with a Khmer lady. Both came from poor backgrounds and had no problems with foreign food, other than the odd item. I put that down to them remembering the days when they had little or nothing to eat.

Personally I'm surprised that so many Thais are fussy when it comes to foreign food, but from a purely personal point of view, younger Thais are nothing like their counterparts of 25 years plus ago. One of the reasons why I chose to leave Thailand rather than stay and whinge.

That said, as with everything one man's/ woman's meat is another one's poison......

I live in the smallest village Ive seen in Isaan. Population 250. I drive 2 km, to a main road. Then 5-6 km past ricefields and a whorehouse and there is a PTT station with a 7-11. Its in the middle of nowhere, but on weekends and holidays its packed and they almost sell out of stuff.

Another 5-6 km down the road is the amphur town and they have several coffee shops. Ive seen workers from the coffee shops buying lots of milk.

Bread, cheese, English breakfast, Spaghetti bolognaise, Roast with veg, Chips and many more once they have tasted it. Yet they also have to have spicy food to quell those pangs for Thai food.

They???

Yes, they.

Plural, not singular.

Spaghetti or baked Ziti with sausage. We've a beautiful Christmas story, how we all got involved.

However, whenever there is a story involving the love of a good woman, always beautiful story.

The heart of a good woman, knows no Country or borders.

Corn bread too , never sure.