Yingluck banned

eezergood

not sure how this is Phuket related ?

Paid protestors in Bangkok.. Martial law imposed. Curfew reinstated. Travel warnings issued. Holidays canceled. Tourist numbers down. Less business for Phuket.

The whole country is still under Martial Law, with only curfews being relaxed. A prominent PT spokesman has also said that their response will come at the next elections (whenever they might be), rather than protest action on the streets.

As an aside, I struggle with what's currently happening and the supposed aim of reconciliation, and 'reform before elections'.

not sure how this is Phuket related ?

Paid protestors in Bangkok.. Martial law imposed. Curfew reinstated. Travel warnings issued. Holidays canceled. Tourist numbers down. Less business for Phuket.

The whole country is still under Martial Law, with only curfews being relaxed. A prominent PT spokesman has also said that their response will come at the next elections (whenever they might be), rather than protest action on the streets.

As an aside, I struggle with what's currently happening and the supposed aim of reconciliation, and 'reform before elections'.

I can't see the point of staging a protest now. They may as well keep their money now, and splash it around for votes at election time.

Another member of the extended Shinawatra family can run. Those up north are paid to vote, or vote due to the rice scheme policy, and we are back to where we have been, three times in the past.

They can just sit back and let their money and investments accrue, and go hard again at the next election.

The Thai military are trying their best to oppress the reds, to allow the yellows to get back in, but the Shinawatra Family out spends them, everytime.

Just more of the same coming up for Thailand.

There's been no democratically elected Government here for around 9 months.

I'm thinking elections will be called between 18 months and 2 years of military rule, so, the later half of this year to early next year.

What are other members thoughts on when elections will be called?

Yawn.

I agree, we have been through all this in the past, twice that I can recall.

I don't recall Yingluck being impeached before.

• Like 1

Yawn.

No, but the latest in the growing list of the establishments removal of elected governments through dubious interpretations/applications of law (remember the PM removed and banned for appearing on a TV cooking programme?).

Every Thai government has to have some form of farming subsidy in general, and rice in particular. Otherwise, people are just going to stop growing it apart from their own requirements. It will be interesting to see what this interim government's plans are going to be, having worked their way through getting the cash to farmers from the previous scheme. What next?

• Like 2

Yawn.

+1

Been through it before or not, its happening & verily I say, no doubt, something nefarious is in the offing

@ pagallim

I would call them more of a military dictatorship, than an interim Government. smile.png

So, they squash the rice scheme. The next policy the reds will go to the election with will be the "rubber scheme" or "chicken scheme" or "pig scheme" or the "free dental for all in Issan scheme" or the "free laptop computer scheme" etc etc. smile.png What are they going to do about that?

His money is offshore, making more money. He sends it back before the election and out spends his opposition, everytime.

Rather than gaoling the members of a political party, making martyrs out of them, and creating more of a divide, they should be trying to address the inequality in the country, thus creating viable political options for all Thai citizens to consider, come election time.

It's laughable how they are criminally charging people, with a view to incarceration, all in the name of democracy. biggrin.png

I agree with some of what you're saying NKM, however the Democrats and their 'benefactors' have far, far more resources than the Shinawatras ever will. Just think of the cost of bankrolling the previous protests by the PAD and then the PDRC. That was huge, with transportation, logistics, catering etc etc being paid for, to say nothing of the involvement of serving members of the military as 'guards' and in other roles.

Elections will only happen when the Constitution is amended such that any Government can be removed at will by the establishment, without elections being necessary or protests on the streets. Limiting the number of elected number of representatives in both the lower house and the Senate, and having the bulk of governance controlled by selected (in Suthep's words) 'good people' will achieve that. That is increasingly what the term 'reform' appears to mean. It's got nothing to do with democracy or the curbing of corruption, only the continuance of the patronage and social class system that curbs opportunity of equality and improved living standards of the less fortunate in Thai society.

They want the north, and pretty much the remaining 80% or so, of the population in what amounts to servitude. The whole issue of face & so called big position re-enforces this!

Look at the Island, only a few families pretty much own & run the place.

Elections will soon be pushed further away i would venture, our Commander in Chief (Prime minister if you insist) will not allow them to go ahead until such a time that peace & democracy prevails. I say that is decades away! Finally you know what they say about absolute power????

I do, however digress, I would like to know (being here a mere 5 or so years) how you think this will translate to us on the Island?

A post has been removed. I remind members of this global Thaivisa advisory ...

NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN PHUKET NEWS

Thailand remain under Martial Law and the rules related to Social Media and posting on Thaivisa will follow the guidelines set forth by the Thai government and the military. Here are some things that you should consider when posting:

All suspects in lese majeste cases, national security cases, violators of NCPO orders will face court martial.

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

What did she ever do for Phuket? I can't remember one thing.

I can't remember any Thai politician doing anything to benefit anyone, on Phuket. biggrin.png

She pulled the pin on the convention centre which probably wasn't a bad thing.

The underpasses were a democrat gift that keeps on giving.

What did she ever do for Phuket? I can't remember one thing.

Wrong I think to use Phuket in isolation. If anything, as an elected government, her's brought some stability to the country during what was/is the most significant global economic crisis in some time. Thaksin himself came to power in the aftermath of the 1997 crisis when the baht was decimated, and became the first Prime Minister to serve a whole term of office, and astonishingly was re-elected for a second term. That was what caused the establishment backlash, here was someone who neither sought nor needed support from the 'establishment'.

I think it also needs to be borne in mind that Phuket is a Democrat stronghold, with both open and underlying resistance to anything PT attempted to do. It was merely enough that Thaksin's proxy return to power produced enough insecurity amongst the 'elite' (again) that prompted what could almost be termed 'the final solution'.

Pretty easy to throw stones on her tenure, some of her own making (rice scheme), some not (flooding). They had plans for major infrastructure investment (ironically some of which has been taken up by the current regime), which is chronically needed for Thailand to achieve it's aim of being a major player in the ASEAN group.

There are two significant events for which the establishment needs to be in power for. The first is the AEC, supposedly to happen at the end of this year. That in itself is going to raise a few eyebrows, with the concept of free mobility of ASEAN labour etc (particularly in Phuket with it's need for multi skilled/multi lingual labour). If Thailand takes a protectionist stance, I think it likely that multi national company investment will find it's home elsewhere. Given the uncertainty surrounding Thailand's future, would you as a CEO of a foreign major company commit to significant investment in the country?

The second we cannot discuss, however temperatures will rise for sure, and I would foresee a semi permanent junta style government for quite a number of years, albeit with the military being the front rather than the real power in the country.

• Like 2

@ pagallim

I would call them more of a military dictatorship, than an interim Government. smile.png

So, they squash the rice scheme. The next policy the reds will go to the election with will be the "rubber scheme" or "chicken scheme" or "pig scheme" or the "free dental for all in Issan scheme" or the "free laptop computer scheme" etc etc. smile.png What are they going to do about that?

His money is offshore, making more money. He sends it back before the election and out spends his opposition, everytime.

Rather than gaoling the members of a political party, making martyrs out of them, and creating more of a divide, they should be trying to address the inequality in the country, thus creating viable political options for all Thai citizens to consider, come election time.

It's laughable how they are criminally charging people, with a view to incarceration, all in the name of democracy. biggrin.png

I agree with some of what you're saying NKM, however the Democrats and their 'benefactors' have far, far more resources than the Shinawatras ever will. Just think of the cost of bankrolling the previous protests by the PAD and then the PDRC. That was huge, with transportation, logistics, catering etc etc being paid for, to say nothing of the involvement of serving members of the military as 'guards' and in other roles.

Elections will only happen when the Constitution is amended such that any Government can be removed at will by the establishment, without elections being necessary or protests on the streets. Limiting the number of elected number of representatives in both the lower house and the Senate, and having the bulk of governance controlled by selected (in Suthep's words) 'good people' will achieve that. That is increasingly what the term 'reform' appears to mean. It's got nothing to do with democracy or the curbing of corruption, only the continuance of the patronage and social class system that curbs opportunity of equality and improved living standards of the less fortunate in Thai society.

Good post pagallim, and I agree.

It appears Thailand is moving closer to becoming a Communist State, the the disguise of a democratically elected Governments.

Of course, Thai citizens still get a choice of parties to vote for, but if it's not the military backed political party that wins the election, there is another coup, and and then they start to gaol the opposition, and we start again, until they achieve the desired result.

@ pagallim

It appears Thailand is moving closer to becoming a Communist State, the the disguise of a democratically elected Governments.

Of course, Thai citizens still get a choice of parties to vote for, but if it's not the military backed political party that wins the election, there is another coup, and and then they start to gaol the opposition, and we start again, until they achieve the desired result.

As such creating further instability? thus reducing tourists etc...???

@ pagallim

As such creating further instability? thus reducing tourists etc...???

''''instability" is one thing - bloodshed is another, and tragically, I think there will be more blooshed to come.

The government has become vulnerable to criticism, not from the red-shirt side, which has kept quiet, but from the yellow-shirt side, which had initially cheered the coup but now fears being excluded from the redesign of the country's political institutions.

There has been sniping from politicians and commentators on the yellow side about the military's lacklustre performance, but also about the rumours of a possible deal between the military and Thaksin Shinawatra.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30974131

@ pagallim

Please check the definition of 'communism'.