Poll shows most Thai people admit they don't earn enough to cover expenses

webfact

Poll shows most people admit they don’t earn enough to cover expenses

1-26-2015-1-59-38-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Over half of the people polled recently admitted that their incomes were not enough to cover their expenses.

Bangkok Poll of the research centre of Bangkok University conducted a random survey of 1,143 respondents which showed that 58.4 percent of them admitting that they did not earn enough incomes to cover the expenses whereas 41.6 percent said that their incomes were on par with their expenses.

71.1 percent of the respondents admitted that they have become more cautious in their spending while 20.9 percent maintained that they spent as much as they used to. 7.8 percent admitted that they spent sparingly and tried to save.

The poll also showed that 70 percent of them admitted that the prices of consumer products remain unchanged despite the substantial drop in oil prices whereas 15 percent said they felt the prices have gone up.

36.3 percent of the respondents wanted the government to look into the prices of fresh foods such as vegetables, pork, chicken and duck meat and mushrooms followed by 23.9 percent for soap, detergent and toothpastes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-shows-people-admit-dont-earn-enough-cover-expenses

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-26

• Like 1

This is simply too vague and ambiguous without any demographics mentioned and some details about those demographics. Income brackets would be nice and a bit of description on what their "expenses" are. I suspect we are not describing Depression Era people here, who really know/knew how to squeeze a dollar out of a dime.

• Like 2

Could all the condescending know-it-all members that posted before me, please use your wisdom and give us a viable breakdown of 9000 baht (unskilled labour...zero days off) or 14000 (uni. graduate) over a 30 day period in Bangkok. Please, share with us how you would make it through the month rolleyes.gif

Yeah right, under which stone do you live mate?

In BKK the uni-grade employee's get like 60-90k a month plus bonus. Yes they have to work for that and can't do nothing all day long.

If they would take their jobs more serious and try to actually perform, instead of sitting

around playing games, chatting, and not giving a shit about anything, may be than

businesses in Thailand would not need to hire twice as many workers than in the west,

and they would get a better salary ...

Well true, or the boss pays the same and makes double the profit...

• Like 1

Could all the condescending know-it-all members that posted before me, please use your wisdom and give us a viable breakdown of 9000 baht (unskilled labour...zero days off) or 14000 (uni. graduate) over a 30 day period in Bangkok. Please, share with us how you would make it through the month rolleyes.gif

can you tell me where you get someone in Bangkok to work for 9000 with zero day off?

9000 OK, but Saturday Sunday and all the public holidays off.....

A friend of mine works as a librarian earning 15k a month. She pays 1k a month in rent for a 2m square room, water and electric included. Spends less than 100 bht a day on food. Transport maybe 1k a month for a couple of trips home. Honestly she manages to save a minimum of 5k a month after giving some to her mum.

Some of my staff rent for 1500 Baht but live 2 people in one condo, so it is 750 for 1 person. Every day someone else cook. They arrive always 2 people on 1 motorbike, so they have plenty of money for stupid things (new motorbikes, latest S5 from Samsung, etc, etc.) Only 1 is saving money.

If they would take their jobs more serious and try to actually perform, instead of sitting

around playing games, chatting, and not giving a shit about anything, may be than

businesses in Thailand would not need to hire twice as many workers than in the west,

Take away their smartphones and they would have 8 hours more per day to do something else...but I don't know if they would fill any of that 8 hours with work.

• Like 1

In my Poll, Thai people don't earn enough to cover the repayments of the loans they have taken.

It's the usual mentality.......live for today forget about tomorrow.

Repossessions have already started.....the loan sharks are in full business.

Give happiness to the people................blink.png

That is not as bad as what the Greeks are trying to pull Costa.. loaning money and then changing the terms.

• Like 2

Take away their smartphones and they would have 8 hours more per day to do something else...but I don't know if they would fill any of that 8 hours with work.

But even the ones who have their own shop don't give a dime about customers, Line is far more important then making money. If i have to wait for that then i'm off and will never return to them.

One wonders just how they do survive , except for the CC or lenders they would be all poor with no accommodation TV, Mobile , I pads, internet, Car ,electricity, water most wouldn't have enough for any education, I deliberately mentioned those items that us capitalists use as in this day and age if you are not connected or have no wheels you are totally at a disadvantage ,the place would be third world, I remember talking to a tour Bus driver back in 94 he earnt 10,000 BAHT a month, he still earns that amount, If Democracy Elected governments haven't been able to get the Thai people better disposable income , the Junta certainly won't be able to either..coffee1.gif

• Like 1

can you tell me where you get someone in Bangkok to work for 9000 with zero day off?

Not correct. It would do you some good to read the Thai Labour Code. A 48 hour workweek is normal. OT only kicks in after 48 hours. Most Thais work a six day week with Sunday their only holiday. There is a vast number of workers who work for 'contractors' and are not 'directly' employed by the company where they work. In these instances, there are many labour law violations and workers are subject to contract employment 'renewal' every six months or a year.

Not correct. It would do you some good to read the Thai Labour Code. A 48 hour workweek is normal. OT only kicks in after 48 hours. Most Thais work a six day week with Sunday their only holiday. There is a vast number of workers who work for 'contractors' and are not 'directly' employed by the company where they work. In these instances, there are many labour law violations and workers are subject to contract employment 'renewal' every six months or a year.

My point was that the ONLY WAY a person on minimum wage COULD get 9000 THB was by not taking any days off. And Thai Labour Code...HA. My friend used to work for one of the biggest engineering firms in the country: If they worked on Sunday they we're entitled to 1.5 of their salary per hour, BUT when they got paid they only received 0.5 for the hours they did on Sunday. The company's reason was this: The staff had already received 1 per hour since they were employed for the whole month i.e. they got paid for every day. This same company also charged its employees for parking (albeit only 400 THB per month), because when the company grew the existing parking was not sufficient and so they had to hire land next door for parking.

• Like 1

Of course in the case of as rolling 12 month contract these workers are afforded same rights as a permanent employee under the labour per the recent court cases which addressed this exact issue

Welcome to the reality of the rest of the world. 40% of Australians live below the poverty line. 30% of new zealanders out of work. Living on barely subsistence welfare.

20% of Americans out of work.

--% homeless and --% barely getting by. Most people in the world barely get by. A very few get to be rich. You would be surprised how many thai families still have one stay at home parent. Almost unheard of in the west now. Be grateful.

From what I see around me it's more the stay-at-home elderly who make it possible that both parents, or the girl / woman left with the children can try their two or three jobs.

I still see people with shiny new 1m baht pick-up parked outside a house in disrepair, 40"+ tv inside but no furniture to speak of, no kitchen, no washing machine... everyone makes their own decision on what matters to them.

• Like 1