Can I buy a car in Thailand with a Credit Card?

either troll or stupid... can't say which...

Stupid 1 because your question is so obvious to be answered: first it takes the car dealer who accepts card payments and second it takes your card issuing bank who accepts your single 7'000$ transaction against your credit score...

then you are stupid 2 since you will face a 3% price increase from the car dealer because he wants to cover the credit card charges that HE will face, then your card issuing bank will hit you with the exanche rate which will NOT be in your favour, then they will charge you with other foreign currency fees at their will and they will charge you with their APR as you will use recurring credit on the card since obviously you do not have those 7'000$ to pay directly and they will charge even more, if you do not repay the credit within a certain amount of time... so overall, your car will get some 5-10% more expensive with your payment scheme...

• Like 1

It's going to be more than just 2-3% surcharge if it's Amex.

@OP: Talk to your Thai bank (doesn't need to be the card issuer) about doing a credit card cash advance. I've heard that the exchange rates are even negotiable for larger dollar amounts when doing this.

Edited by IMHO

I'm pretty sure the OP wants to know WHICH DEALERS accepts credit cards. American Express has an app for this called 'TrueCar' but it is only for dealers in the US so you'll probably have to call your concierge.

Many cards do not have a foreign exchange fee. Since the OP is going to negotiate the price of the car anyway the 2-3% can be included in this.

I'm pretty sure the OP wants to know WHICH DEALERS accepts credit cards. American Express has an app for this called 'TrueCar' but it is only for dealers in the US so you'll probably have to call your concierge.

Many cards do not have a foreign exchange fee. Since the OP is going to negotiate the price of the car anyway the 2-3% can be included in this.

All dealers have credit card facilities, however not all accept Amex.

There are hardly any negotiations when buying a car in Thailand and 2-3% will never be included but always added on top of the final price.

Buying a car with a credit card.....cheesy.gif

Save up your money and pay cash, or buy a car you can afford now. Idiotic to do anything else.

Rather rude and judgmental of you.. Op don't see any reason why not? If your credit is good and you have a very low interest rate it may even save you some money as the interest calculated on Thai loans is a bit strange, also you'd get a bonus points boost as well to your credit card. I read recently where a wealthy Chinese businessman just bought a 500 hundred year old Ming dynasty tea cup for 36 million dollars and paid with his American Express black card now he has enough bonus miles to fly around the planet a few times etc. though he had no consideration to that aspect of his purchase when he made it he discovered it later thumbsup.gif . Took 24 skims through the card reader though blink.png .

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/liu-yiqian-sips-ancient-cup/2014/07/25/id/584832/

It may have definite advantages.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Is it possible to buy a car using a credit card? Sure you can...all depends on whether the car dealer will accept payment via credit card because he will have transaction fee costs and possible "charge-back" to contend with. Read this article for more info. Link.

Plus, since a farang could easily leave Thailand and/or submit a charge-back request after taking possession of the car it can put a lot of risk on the car dealer, especially a foreign car dealer. I expect a dealer in a person's home country would be more apt to accept credit card payment since they have more legal means and protection against a credit card payment gone bad...and could actually run a credit check on you in advance.

Only way to find out is ask the dealer. Will depend on how much they want to make the sale and if they trust you. If they do accept payment I expect they may want to add a few percentage points to cover the card transaction fee to them...just like quite a few shops/stores in Thailand currently do.

The answer is YES but you will incur other fees depending upon your credit card company and the dealer.

To add.. I just purchased a new pickup truck in NaJomtien Toyota dealer with 50 percent down using my Visa which incurs NO foreign transaction fees and ZERO percent interest for 28 months on this card. My particular details concerning the financing I just had to show them proof of residence (residence certificate), my visa which is a 30 day visa exempt type, a recently updated bank book showing history (they didn't specify how much but mine was just over 3 years) and a print out of my Bank statement where my salary is paid into (Citibank Singapore). They shopped this around to finance companies and I was approved within about 24 hours for 48 months at 3.6 percent interest.

Truck is in the drive way... top model Hilux.

Kurt

Why not take a "cash advance" from the credit card, deposited to your bank account and then transfer the money to Thailand? Then, you can pay "cash" for the car and attain a price advantage that may make up for the credit card charge for the advance.

Actually I have bought one car with credit card and got a 5% Cashback no added fee. Terms depends on the dealers relationship with the bank. But farang can get car loans. Besides I have creditcards from 3 different Thai banks. But what is your visa status?

I had the money in the account to cover it. The car was 800.000 and i have 1.000.000 baht credit limit on that card. that was a secondhand car from a mercedes dealer. The card is The Premier from SCB Bank

Edited by Evolare

I just bought a motorcycle this way and had to pay the 3% surcharge.

I was withdrawing the cash out of ATM's until I figured out that with the fee on both ends at the limits I was able to use, it would cost me just about the same 3%.

The cost was about $125 USD. I could have wired it but without a Thai bank account (and with the time difference) my options were a bit limited so I just took the best way- easiest, with instant gratification, and #*&^ the money!

Some dealers will accept credit cards, then they ask for 5% on top for you using a credit card .

Expensive way to buy in Thailand.

Depends on the dealers connections with the bank as I said I paid no extra fees but it's possible they had somekind of special promotion or deal with the bank...maybe the cAR was owned by the bank because the discount was only offered with a card from SCB not KBANK nor Bangkokbank

Quite a few obnoxious responses here, as usual. No real surprise since my very first posts here were met with the same.

I will just comment on the economics, assuming a willing dealer and a 3% surcharge.

There are many, many U.S. credit cards that have no fx fees and in fact you get essentially wholesale rates, much better than moving cash to Thailand.

There are also many cards that have cash-back schemes, and 2% can be achieved on some no-fx cards. Add back the better exchange rate on the card transaction (vs moving cash), and you end up with a similar price and greater convenience. There are also rewards programs worth more than 2%. In fact, I value some of my credit card points at over 5% since they can be used to book business class tickets that would need to pay cash for otherwise (yes, I have done the math).

Some U.S. cards also have free interest periods or very low rates. Personally, I hadn't really considered the idea before, but I may actually check into purchasing my upcoming car delivery on a credit card, then simply pay off the balance immediately (don't want/need the financing).

So, despite all the vitriol in many responses, there are cases where purchasing with a credit card is actually financially prudent. As a pure financing scheme, using a card that has fx-fees, high interest rate, and no rewards? That's a different matter, but certainly a credit card would be my choice rather than going through the inconvenience, invasion-of-privacy (really humiliation) of applying for a loan from a Thai bank. Try to think outside the box, people.

• Like 1