Tottenham Thread

chonabot

1 hour ago, carmine said:

I should probably be posting this on the Liverpool thread but the point is, hats off to Jurgen Klopp for calling out this nonsense con job of a tournament to enable yet another pointless international break.  Yet another opportunity for our players to get injured and fatigued purely to fund the coffers of football associations.  if they want to take the piss then its about time we take the piss and withdraw our players on medical grounds.  We have a horrendous fixture build up and all that could possibly gain from this is more injuries and an early end to our season.

Its a sad reflection when its sometimes stated, as by me this week that the int'l break comes at a good time so we can gain time to get the injured back up and playing but then theres the possibility of more if we don't pull out players so lets stick it to the FA and withdraw players.

Agreed with that. Klopp spot on. This International "business" is out of hand. I wish the players would stand up but they can't seem unpatriotic. Same goes for these "off season" club tours around the globe during the summer. Seems the top players get next to no time to recuperate any more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Same goes for these "off season" club tours around the globe during the summer. 

As long as they can be scheduled correctly, I think a few managers like these. They give the chance for the team to bond + warm weather training is actually perfect when they are focussing on strength and conditioning and trying to burn off a few lbs. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

As long as they can be scheduled correctly, I think a few managers like these. They give the chance for the team to bond + warm weather training is actually perfect when they are focussing on strength and conditioning and trying to burn off a few lbs. 

Yes thats correct and all were really saying is friendlies/tours are fine if better thought out with greater consideration to players and clubs but as in the case now its totally out of hand

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm sure a few do, but seems to me the big club managers don't. I can't remember Pep, Klopp or Mourinho being thrilled by the world tours.

7 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I'm sure a few do, but seems to me the big club managers don't. I can't remember Pep, Klopp or Mourinho being thrilled by the world tours.

A world tour is obviously not good. But our US tour was disrupted by player injuries + unavailability. That would have still occurred if we stayed at home and played Rochdale etc (with the exception of Alexis visa problems). But because the US fixtures were all against high profile clubs, it suddenly became a 'mini crisis' in the eyes of the media before the season began. 

I think the only problem when you play Real Madrid, Liverpool etc in pre-season is that people treat them like real games,  when they are just to get the players back to match fitness.

Edited by RickG16

15 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

This Nations League agenda is all about the top teams continually playing each other to maximise seat capacity and sponsorship so the FA's can make more money.

Totally cynical and at the expense of the smaller nations.

As if it would have been about anything else ! Slime !

15 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Totally cynical and at the expense of the smaller nations.

Agree with most of that but why is it at the expense of the smaller nations? The smaller nations usually play the smaller nations in friendlies anyway, unless they are countries with loads of money. 

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

A world tour is obviously not good. But our US tour was disrupted by player injuries + unavailability. That would have still occurred if we stayed at home and played Rochdale etc (with the exception of Alexis visa problems). But because the US fixtures were all against high profile clubs, it suddenly became a 'mini crisis' in the eyes of the media before the season began. 

I think the only problem when you play Real Madrid, Liverpool etc in pre-season is that people treat them like real games,  when they are just to get the players back to match fitness.

It became a mini-crisis because your manager was crying about having no players and slagging off the players he had available. If Jose had of behaved more like Poch did after signing no one there would be no story. 

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

It became a mini-crisis because your manager was crying about having no players and slagging off the players he had available. If Jose had of behaved more like Poch did after signing no one there would be no story. 

Everything he said was true though... and he probably intended for it to be reported as it was. It's his way of managing expectations - i.e. if our team of youngsters gets slaughtered by a big team on tour he has already explained the reasons why. 

Some of his media strategies are questionable, but on this occasion he just told it like it is. 

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Everything he said was true though... and he probably intended for it to be reported as it was. It's his way of managing expectations - i.e. if our team of youngsters gets slaughtered by a big team on tour he has already explained the reasons why. 

Some of his media strategies are questionable, but on this occasion he just told it like it is. 

Telling it like it is is not always something to hang your hat on. You would think after all these years Mourinho would have learned that.

Just now, jellydog said:

Telling it like it is is not always something to hang your hat on. You would think after all these years Mourinho would have learned that.

Agreed. It's knowing when to be brutally honest and when to spin. And on this occasion he got it right IMO.

12 hours ago, jellydog said:

Agreed with that. Klopp spot on. This International "business" is out of hand. I wish the players would stand up but they can't seem unpatriotic. Same goes for these "off season" club tours around the globe during the summer. Seems the top players get next to no time to recuperate any more.

Or you could say that premier lge business is out of hand and klopp with his remarks  on the fa whose money in general   goes for the greater good  of football   are narcissistic and shallow

Edited by 3 minus 2

14 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Or you could say that premier lge business is out of hand and klopp with his remarks  on the fa whose money in general   goes for the greater good  of football   are narcissistic and shallow

What does the FA do for grass roots football?

4 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

What does the FA do for grass roots football?

ronnie, get out your armchair without a single malt ????????and go out on  a sunday morning and find out, it has a hand in almost everything football. THAT is where tomoro's footballers start and the fa and like ENABLE that  and the nations lge is about the smaller teams getting Representation  at major tournaments   GO READ ,,,,,  

I think Spurs fans are going a bit OTT about Oliver Skipp but i reckon he is now very close to breaking into the first team.  Superb talent he is too.  What with the injuries we've had if i were Poch i'd have been tempted to have have given him a few run outs already and putting on the bench for the Barca fixture shows intent from Poch.....not that that was the game to give him his debut!!!!

2 hours ago, carmine said:

I think Spurs fans are going a bit OTT about Oliver Skipp but i reckon he is now very close to breaking into the first team.  Superb talent he is too.  What with the injuries we've had if i were Poch i'd have been tempted to have have given him a few run outs already and putting on the bench for the Barca fixture shows intent from Poch.....not that that was the game to give him his debut!!!!

Skippy has time on his side....he'll get his chance soon enough.

grrr le tis was just tellin nev the only time he came close to leavin southampton was to sign for spurs in 90?   he was a schoolboy... and then cut out i  take it he was a fan, say anything  interesting ? LUVED to have seen him at the lane 4 us  that would have been a sight  eh alfie,, i know your out there !!!

Seems now very likely that the first game at the new stadium will be Chelsea on Nov, 25th.

Great shame about the delay but certainly looks very impressive indeed.  One clever design feature is that fans sit only 5 meters from the pitch (compared to 13.5 meters at the Emirates), which should help us in creating a very imposing atmosphere for all visitors.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carmine said:

Seems now very likely that the first game at the new stadium will be Chelsea on Nov, 25th.

Great shame about the delay but certainly looks very impressive indeed.  One clever design feature is that fans sit only 5 meters from the pitch (compared to 13.5 meters at the Emirates), which should help us in creating a very imposing atmosphere for all visitors.  

Forget to add, West Hame fans sit 18m away from the pitch!!!  Whilst the Olympic stadium was not designed for football you have to question the design at the Emirates, regardless of it being a lovely stadium.

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

City have sold out our allocation of tickets for the Sunday afternoon, err Monday night game at White Hart Lane, err Wembley. It is at Wembley still isn't it...not moved it to Milton Keynes yet have you?

Nah. But Hapi to wait for OUR own home 2 b finished . We see it as a statement  and  a defo plus for long term stability .. either  way it far outweighs being a council tennant! .