Tottenham Thread

chonabot

As always carmine, spot on.

One point of detail. could Moyes have turned it down? Choosing to take the challenge is a very different kettle of fish.

You don't turn a job down like that do you. I don't blame him one iota for taking it. I also think he's a very capable manager but the facts of the matter are that the previous manager had that side punching over its weight and there are probably only a small handful of managers in the world capable of trying to fill his boots. Moyes, imho, is nowhere near one of them

Point taken. impressive EPL winners last season, but success in Europe eluding even Fergie.

I can't see Moyes competing with the big guns in Europe...if they make the top 4 that is.

Well I am hoping that they won't be in the mix this time. Also city will be unsettled at least for a few months. Chelsea, well the special one could conceivably fall flat on his arse in year one. Liverpool, Arsenal and who else could be thereabouts but they are not without their tales of woe. Whereas Spurs I predict will fly out of the traps this time around and gain those vital early points that have eluded us in recent seasons. Mr Levy learn from this and get a striker done now, before 17th July, to give the squad a month together before Palace ....please. COYS

"Well I am hoping that they won't be in the mix this time. Also city will be unsettled at least for a few months. Chelsea, well the special one could conceivably fall flat on his arse in year one. Liverpool, Arsenal and who else could be thereabouts but they are not without their tales of woe. Whereas Spurs I predict will fly out of the traps this time.........."

Can't see Liverpool challenging. Especially if Seweraz leaves Anfield.

"Well I am hoping that they won't be in the mix this time. Also city will be unsettled at least for a few months. Chelsea, well the special one could conceivably fall flat on his arse in year one. Liverpool, Arsenal and who else could be thereabouts but they are not without their tales of woe. Whereas Spurs I predict will fly out of the traps this time.........."

Long way to go in this transfer window.....its not even got started really as yet!

• Like 1

Benteke price tag 25m. Looks like Villa are resigned to selling him. He has been sent on holiday back home to Gent whilst Villa play pre season in Germany. This could run and run with villa holding out for their 25m; any astute bidders of course will try to bash down the price as Benteke becomes less and less likely to figure as a happy and content villa starter, and therefore becomes surplus to requirements.

Quote//

Belgian Media were reporting late on Tuesday night that Christian Benteke had actually rejected an approach from Liverpool, instead hoping to secure a move to White Hart Lane.//

Source: http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/villa-want-25m-for-benteke-player-has-rejected-liverpool-approach-would-prefer-spurs-guardian-belgian-press/

Could not find the Belgian Press report mentioned.

Benteke price tag 25m. Looks like Villa are resigned to selling him. He has been sent on holiday back home to Gent whilst Villa play pre season in Germany. This could run and run with villa holding out for their 25m; any astute bidders of course will try to bash down the price as Benteke becomes less and less likely to figure as a happy and content villa starter, and therefore becomes surplus to requirements.

Quote//

Belgian Media were reporting late on Tuesday night that Christian Benteke had actually rejected an approach from Liverpool, instead hoping to secure a move to White Hart Lane.//

Source: http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/villa-want-25m-for-benteke-player-has-rejected-liverpool-approach-would-prefer-spurs-guardian-belgian-press/

Sensible thing for Daniel is to find a quick compromise deal with Villa and get him on board....before he gets pinched by the silly money sides.

Long way to go in this transfer window.....its not even got started really as yet!

Point taken Smokie.

There'll be birds flying in and out of it like nobody's business when it starts to close.

Quite right, everyone's just juggling for position,

Quote//

I think that price tag is just about right for a player of fantastic potential. Villa are entitled to let him go on a free after he single handedly kept them in the Premier League and the money that goes with it. It was a miracle how they survived with the crap squad they've got.

As always carmine, spot on.

One point of detail. could Moyes have turned it down? Choosing to take the challenge is a very different kettle of fish.

You don't turn a job down like that do you. I don't blame him one iota for taking it. I also think he's a very capable manager but the facts of the matter are that the previous manager had that side punching over its weight and there are probably only a small handful of managers in the world capable of trying to fill his boots. Moyes, imho, is nowhere near one of them

Point taken. impressive EPL winners last season, but success in Europe eluding even Fergie.

I can't see Moyes competing with the big guns in Europe...if they make the top 4 that is.

Well I am hoping that they won't be in the mix this time. Also city will be unsettled at least for a few months. Chelsea, well the special one could conceivably fall flat on his arse in year one. Liverpool, Arsenal and who else could be thereabouts but they are not without their tales of woe. Whereas Spurs I predict will fly out of the traps this time around and gain those vital early points that have eluded us in recent seasons. Mr Levy learn from this and get a striker done now, before 17th July, to give the squad a month together before Palace ....please. COYS

Its the worst poosible opener for us...newly promoteds away! However, i still think you are right!!

Tottenham are odds-on with Sky Bet to sign Christian Benteke after Aston Villa confirmed the striker has submitted a transfer request.

Spurs already headed the betting on the Belgium striker's next club but have shortened from evens to 8/11 following Tuesday morning's developments.

Arsenal and Chelsea are considered next in line to land the 22-year-old at 7/2, followed by Liverpool (12/1) and Borussia Dortmund (20/1).

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8814667/Tottenham-odds-on-to-sign-Benteke-following-transfer-request

Tottenham are odds-on with Sky Bet to sign Christian Benteke after Aston Villa confirmed the striker has submitted a transfer request.

Spurs already headed the betting on the Belgium striker's next club but have shortened from evens to 8/11 following Tuesday morning's developments.

Arsenal and Chelsea are considered next in line to land the 22-year-old at 7/2, followed by Liverpool (12/1) and Borussia Dortmund (20/1).

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8814667/Tottenham-odds-on-to-sign-Benteke-following-transfer-request

So, what do you Spurs think ? Is Levy gonna dig deep in his pocket for $20-$25mil for Benteke ? Seems if you were to add him, keep Bale, and along with the addition of Paulinho, y'all could make some waves come August. Maybe Levy would even have a little extra cash to sign a half decent squad player or two. Out of the question ?coffee1.gif

BTW-I heard that Villa was never much interested in leaving Spain. Small town boy from Northern Spain.

So, what do you Spurs think ? Is Levy gonna dig deep in his pocket for $20-$25mil for Benteke ? Seems if you were to add him, keep Bale, and along with the addition of Paulinho, y'all could make some waves come August. Maybe Levy would even have a little extra cash to sign a half decent squad player or two. Out of the question ?coffee1.gif

BTW-I heard that Villa was never much interested in leaving Spain. Small town boy from Northern Spain.

Well that is the big question isn't it?

Will Levy take the step which would allow us to properly compete for the title?

I'm not overly confident.....but I admit to rubbing my hands with gleeful anticipation! biggrin.png

"Head in my hands by August....." rolleyes.gif

Well that is the big question isn't it?

Will Levy take the step which would allow us to properly compete for the title?

I'm not overly confident.....but I admit to rubbing my hands with gleeful anticipation! biggrin.png

"Head in my hands by August....." rolleyes.gif

Were a way away yet from competing for the title. Even with Benteke we are still competing for top four.

Forgetting personnel for a moment i don't think we are mentally strong enough to compete for the title. That will take longer, its not something you can just install in a few good games. We also have to show we can unlock teams that come to the lane for a point. That includes that shower from across the road these days.

• Like 1

Benteke, Bale, Paulinho.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd be wetting myself.

Come to that......

Its all about having players who can change a game. Adebayor is another as is Vertonghen when he comes forward.

Adebayor obviously depending upon the weather....blink.png

The more of these players you have the better your options over a season so I would be over the moon to see Benteke signed.

When you have two ineffective strikers it allows teams much more leeway to double up marking on Bale....which aint so good for us.

• Like 1

Benteke, Bale, Paulinho.

Come to that......

Couldn't agree more but as we speak were a long way from signing Benteke despite what Skybet thinks

Agreed.. Levy would never sanction 25m. But maybe nineteen.....hope Villa are smart enough to see they might end up with very hot property.... In the reserves

Benteke, Bale, Paulinho.

Come to that......

Couldn't agree more but as we speak were a long way from signing Benteke despite what Skybet thinks

Even though I have slight reservations about him, I think potentially it could be a great move for Spurs.

However there is going to be more than one team interested.

Benteke has gone on record as saying he wants regular playing time, which Spurs would almost certainly give him. He is currently on 20k per week and had been promised to have his salary doubled by Villa (still only 40k), so salary increase would not cause a problem for Spurs.

The only fly in the ointment is the fact that he has said he wants CL football.

Just read another report that says Daniel only wants to pay 15 million!! That is simply not going to work. I think this is one occasion where Daniel swallows the bullet, offers the player circa 60k/week, and Villa 25 million ASAP. Otherwise you simply will not get him

This is the one time you guys cannot afford to play hardball if you want Benteke.

• Like 1

will levy sign a half decent squad player? at this moment in time barring our striker situ ,our squad is fine, weve got decent enuf cover in all positions. but if parker and hudd go, then yes ,a development player wouldn't go amiss. don't suppose they'de b happy bout it but williams at crystal palce looks the part. seems rumored the chavs are lookin at benteke! thats worrying, not cos they might get him, but thatrecent history suggests they couldnt pick a decent striker if their life depended on it !!!!!!

Edited by rijit

It looks like Sevilla have just bought this geezer to replace Negredo.

At the beginning of 2012 Bacca signed for Belgian side Club Brugge where he currently performs. Bruges paid 2.5 million Euros for his service. On July 9th 2013, Sevilla sign Bacca for 7 Millio Euros.

Ok he hasn't been playing in the greatest league but 24 goals in 34 games ain't bad and at about 5m pounds he could have been worth a gamble.

At the moment i just can't see who we are going to buy, Solgano or Negredo both about 28 so Daniel ain't going to pay 20-25 for either of them, 20 -25m for Benteke he ain't going to pay, so who's left ?

The problem we have is that Levy won't pay more than 20m and that is the cheapest you would get a decent centre forward for.

Even the geezer Norwich just bought Wolfswinkel would have been better than nothing.

At the beginning of 2012 Bacca signed for Belgian side Club Brugge where he currently performs. Bruges paid 2.5 million Euros for his service. On July 9th 2013, Sevilla sign Bacca for 7 Millio Euros.

Ok he hasn't been playing in the greatest league but 24 goals in 34 games ain't bad and at about 5m pounds he could have been worth a gamble.

At the moment i just can't see who we are going to buy, Solgano or Negredo both about 28 so Daniel ain't going to pay 20-25 for either of them, 20 -25m for Benteke he ain't going to pay, so who's left ?

The problem we have is that Levy won't pay more than 20m and that is the cheapest you would get a decent centre forward for.

Even the geezer Norwich just bought Wolfswinkel would have been better than nothing.

I think for less than 20 you either have to go French or Dutch Leagues and hope the player is good enough or else someone like Bent or Holt who have proven goals in them but have fallen out of favour.

I think Dortmund got a good buy in Patrick Aubameyang, cost just over 10 mill, 24yrs old.

• Like 1

he hasn't been afraid to pay out relatively large for that particular time, think rebrov, bentley and a few others cant see why he wont go over 20 reckon if the deal and the players right then levy will, whether he reckons it's right to pay that for benteke has to be seen. just another point benteke 24!!!!,,,,,,, yeah right

just another point benteke 24!!!!,,,,,,, yeah right

Christian Benteke
Soccer player
Christian Benteke Liolo is a professional footballer who plays as a striker for Aston Villa in the Premier League and the Belgian national team.Wikipedia
Born: December 3, 1990 (age 22), Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo

Another point is the tendency of these African chaps to bugger off for six weeks in the middle of every other season. Not so much an issue if you aren't in the Champions League of course.

thumbsup.gif

cheesy.gif

just another point benteke 24!!!!,,,,,,, yeah right

Christian Benteke
Soccer player
Christian Benteke Liolo is a professional footballer who plays as a striker for Aston Villa in the Premier League and the Belgian national team.Wikipedia
Born: December 3, 1990 (age 22), Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo

Another point is the tendency of these African chaps to bugger off for six weeks in the middle of every other season. Not so much an issue if you aren't in the Champions League of course.

thumbsup.gif

Not much of an issue if he plays for Belguim either cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And i thought it was only the chavs with a lack of knowledge of football laugh.png

A painful hoisting by his own petard. A nice try Chicog....but ouch !tongue.png