Tottenham Thread

chonabot

If moving towards total mediocrity was the clubs intended path then signing the incredibly dog average Solomen Kalou would be a step in the right direction. As would selling Ettiene Capoue for that matter.

Bit disappointed that no ones taken the time to post some nonsense , waste of time, "what kind of loser is interested in what tabloids say anyway" made up crap on here!!

Shame really, because listening to the scribblings from the likes of the Scum, Star, People, Daily HateMail Metro and the likes makes it so worthwhile taking the time out to read the forum.whistling.gif

If moving towards total mediocrity was the clubs intended path then signing the incredibly dog average Solomen Kalou would be a step in the right direction. As would selling Ettiene Capoue for that matter.

Bit disappointed that no ones taken the time to post some nonsense , waste of time, "what kind of loser is interested in what tabloids say anyway" made up crap on here!!

Shame really, because listening to the scribblings from the likes of the Scum, Star, People, Daily HateMail Metro and the likes makes it so worthwhile taking the time out to read the forum.whistling.gif

If Dog average mediocrity means getting shots on target and scoring goals then that is exactly what we need right now. The super tactics and world class promising players (pretenders) have not worked.... It's time for all of us to admit that! Time for us to dig in and concentrate on actually securing 3 points every game instead of endlessly talking about this and that and what might have been. A couple of old but well seasoned dogs and a slice of good luck might put us back on track. To do nothing we will end up bottom half of the table for sure, talking about this and that and what might have been, and we will be scratching around for more old dogs because of our terrible bad luck. The next 4 months are pivotal for our ongoing success in my view, and Tim needs 100% support from the Tottenham faithful.
  • Like 1

Did Baldini make the trip to Turin, or is the Quagliarella story just BS? Anyone seen Kalou in London? Praying for a striker who can actually score a goal soon.

For me, neither Quagliarella or Kalou are prolific goal scorers to excite me enough.

I think getting Berbatov on a 6 month deal would probably serve the team better, but i

don't think he would want a short term deal at his age.

I totally agree; neither will set the world alight, but they are seemingly available. We can no longer afford to believe the 'Soldado or Lamela will come good' optomists, half the season is over and we have been patient enough. We need someone from somewhere that can find the back of the net NOW; some one preferably with a proven EPL record, and who can play alongside Adebayor if only until the end of the season.

Many reports are stating that Kalou is in talks to a possible move to Spurs,

i would certainly choose him over Quagliarella being that he's had 6 seasons in the EPL

with the chavs and has more chance of making an impact on the team.

On another note, Sherwood has indicated that Holtby & Capoue could be sold this window,

and Tom Caroll could return from loan at QPR.

I can't believe that you are even talking about Kalou on here as an option, he never scored that many goals at Chelsea so what makes he think that he is going to come to Spurs and start scoring ? especially when is 2 years older facepalm.gif

I can't believe that you are even talking about Kalou on here as an option, he never scored that many goals at Chelsea so what makes he think that he is going to come to Spurs and start scoring ? especially when is 2 years older facepalm.gif

The name is not important, any striker that is available in the next fortnight who has a chance of scoring more goals than Soldado will do for me Old dog, young dog no matter. Proven EPL experience will be a massive bonus. Hell, I would even rather have Peter Crouch or Berbatov back giving 100% in the box than watch Soldado held up in a midfield position whilst our four midfielders are in or around the box attacking the goal.

Edited by iancnx
  • Like 1

If Dog average mediocrity means getting shots on target and scoring goals then that is exactly what we need right now. The super tactics and world class promising players (pretenders) have not worked.... It's time for all of us to admit that! Time for us to dig in and concentrate on actually securing 3 points every game instead of endlessly talking about this and that and what might have been. A couple of old but well seasoned dogs and a slice of good luck might put us back on track. To do nothing we will end up bottom half of the table for sure, talking about this and that and what might have been, and we will be scratching around for more old dogs because of our terrible bad luck. The next 4 months are pivotal for our ongoing success in my view, and Tim needs 100% support from the Tottenham faithful.
We need someone from somewhere that can find the back of the net NOW; some one preferably with a proven EPL records

Well that shouldn't be a problem should it, lets face it forwards who scored load of goals are two a penny and cheap as well biggrin.png

To be fair Ian your doing a lot of talking about the subject of forwards so if your going to talk about it then at least put forward a few suggestions

To do nothing we will end up bottom half of the table for sure

Well we aren't going to do anything and to suggest we will end up in the bottom half is complete rubbish.

A couple of old but well seasoned dogs and a slice of good luck might put us back on track. To do nothing we will end up bottom half of the table for sure, talking about this and that and what might have been, and we will be scratching around for more old dogs because of our terrible bad luck.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

i think we take it as a given that a manager needs the 100% support of the faithful "during the game" Ian.

However, if he wants to keep his job then he had better wise up a bit and do some homework. I find it frankly alarming that a man that has spent so many years in professional football would even think about going to the Emirates and taking on wenger with a ridiculous 4-4-2 set up. You cannot go to Arsenal and match Wenger without a five man midfield!! And guess what?!! Wenger made him look like a complete buffoon from the whistle as Arsenal controlled the game with consummate ease. God help us he he does the same against City, because that tactical performance at the Emirates hasn't been the only bizarre decision he's made.

What also makes you think that a player such as Kalou that was offloaded by Chelsea after a relatively undistinguished time in the is league? I'd rather go with one of our youngsters than shell out money on a journeyman.

Yes, i'm delighted with him introducing youngsters like Bentaleb and Fredricks, i like his faith in bringing on Fryers but at this juncture he appears hopelessly naive winning by hook or more by crook and his lucks going to run out unless his learns from a tactician. Hopefully he learnt something from wenger because he needs to learn rather fast.

I will always support our manager and would never boo as is becoming the norm in football but i really loathe this blind faith support because it gets us nowhere.

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

Blind faith support v over optimistic aspirations of a striker and others with no EPL support reliant on super tactics to outfox the best teams in the land? You can talk tactics all you want. We have tried it every way and anyway you want to slice it up and still not scored enough this season. Nothing to do with being blind. All to do with getting back on track as best we can with Sherwood at the helm.

We don't have the youngsters up front. Harry Kane not ready yet - I think we are all agreed with that. We need a striker to hit the back of the net. To deflect the argument by mentioning the mauling we had at the Emirates is merely ignoring the point? Yup TS misjudged the enormity of the task, but he has done not too bad as a newbie so far other than that!

Suggestion as to who we buy? Is that what you mean? Whichever Old Dog is available and might show Soldado the way.

If we are stuck with what we have, drop Soldado first and foremost as a non performer. Try Lamela up front with Adebayor, but I think he is lightweight. The rest of the team are pretty much as good as we get for now given the bad run of injuries. Soon we will be back to full strength less one striker!

Blind faith support v over optimistic aspirations of a striker and others with no EPL support reliant on super tactics to outfox the best teams in the land? You can talk tactics all you want. We have tried it every way and anyway you want to slice it up and still not scored enough this season. Nothing to do with being blind. All to do with getting back on track as best we can with Sherwood at the helm.

We don't have the youngsters up front. Harry Kane not ready yet - I think we are all agreed with that. We need a striker to hit the back of the net. To deflect the argument by mentioning the mauling we had at the Emirates is merely ignoring the point? Yup TS misjudged the enormity of the task, but he has done not too bad as a newbie so far other than that!

Suggestion as to who we buy? Is that what you mean? Whichever Old Dog is available and might show Soldado the way.

If we are stuck with what we have, drop Soldado first and foremost as a non performer. Try Lamela up front with Adebayor, but I think he is lightweight. The rest of the team are pretty much as good as we get for now given the bad run of injuries. Soon we will be back to full strength less one striker!

If i remember right, you were the one that thought we could/would win the league. I said our goal was top four. Still is but its unlikely. Liverpool are currently a better side but have a comparatively weaker squad so lets hope they get more injuries.

I am entirely content with us two points off top four and we're pretty much where i thought we would be.

We have done absolutely fine all things considering. We have a rejuvenated Adebayor which is like having a new 25m striker in my book and i fail to see the need why we have to go stumbling into the transfer market for a new striker when what we really need is to finally get a replacement for Modric which we have failed to do since Levy messed up the Joao Moutinho deal.

If i remember right, you were the one that thought we could/would win the league. I said our goal was top four. Still is but its unlikely. Liverpool are currently a better side but have a comparatively weaker squad so lets hope they get more injuries.

I am entirely content with us two points off top four and we're pretty much where i thought we would be.

We have done absolutely fine all things considering. We have a rejuvenated Adebayor which is like having a new 25m striker in my book and i fail to see the need why we have to go stumbling into the transfer market for a new striker when what we really need is to finally get a replacement for Modric which we have failed to do since Levy messed up the Joao Moutinho deal.

and may your whole squad contract an untreatable bottom virus for the remainder of the season wink.png

• Like 1

Harry Kane is never going to be ready I fear.

Whatever we need another striker before the window ends or we will finish outside the top four again.

Indeed smokie, sometimes you have to cut your losses and with Soldado there, scoring just isn't going to happen, as a class finisher he's turned out to be a dud. If he's not doing it why keep him in the team, surely AN Other can't do worse?

The chances that he has missed would probably have been put away by any bottom half PL striker, let alone one that cost a massively inflated £27 Million.

• Like 1

and may your whole squad contract an untreatable bottom virus for the remainder of the season wink.png

Or maybe arrange all their pre-match meals in a Docklands Hotel?thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Hahaha your memory is razor sharp, and I am very happy to hold my head high and admit that after spending 100m there was a reasonable expectation of a top two finish with many many goals. Instead we have stuck with a dud striker who now should be put in the reserves and left to ponder on an unacceptable string of performances.

Whilst you might be content with being out of the top four, many of us, including TS is not. And to suggest 'we have done absolutely fine' is at odds with your criticism of poor tactics employed. Which is it to be?

I suspect we will find a striker for under 10m who will make a difference and find the back of the net, and I would be surprised to hear other commentators describing such as 'stumbling into the transfer market'.

A new Modric would be nice, but I am more than content with the outstanding efforts of Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele, and now the new boy Bentaleb. Townsend, Lennon, Holtby and Eriksen similarly are all outstanding options. I have, as you will recall, always been a great fan of Adebayor and I am chuffed to <deleted> to see him back and hear him say that he is not yet back at his best; that he is approaching his prime!

What I am sure of is we need TWO strikers, and at the moment the pretender from Valencia just ain't cutting the mustard - on his current showing he would be better off working in a dodgy hotel in Torquay.

Final word, for the moment, hats off to Michael Dawson and the fantastic job he has done. And yes I continue to believe he should be Captain!

I don't think trying Lamela up front paired with Adebayor is a completely ridiculous idea. Worth a shot maybe and what's the worse that could happen ? Who would take penalties if Soldado was on the bench though ? Too bad Spurs couldn't insert Soldado in for penalties like the loathsome designated hitter in half of MLB.

• Like 1

Hahaha your memory is razor sharp, and I am very happy to hold my head high and admit that after spending 100m there was a reasonable expectation of a top two finish with many many goals. Instead we have stuck with a dud striker who now should be put in the reserves and left to ponder on an unacceptable string of performances.

Whilst you might be content with being out of the top four, many of us, including TS is not. And to suggest 'we have done absolutely fine' is at odds with your criticism of poor tactics employed. Which is it to be?

I suspect we will find a striker for under 10m who will make a difference and find the back of the net, and I would be surprised to hear other commentators describing such as 'stumbling into the transfer market'.

A new Modric would be nice, but I am more than content with the outstanding efforts of Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele, and now the new boy Bentaleb. Townsend, Lennon, Holtby and Eriksen similarly are all outstanding options. I have, as you will recall, always been a great fan of Adebayor and I am chuffed to <deleted> to see him back and hear him say that he is not yet back at his best; that he is approaching his prime!

What I am sure of is we need TWO strikers, and at the moment the pretender from Valencia just ain't cutting the mustard - on his current showing he would be better off working in a dodgy hotel in Torquay.

Final word, for the moment, hats off to Michael Dawson and the fantastic job he has done. And yes I continue to believe he should be Captain!

To say we have done fine is based over the season so far and is in no way at odds with Sherwoods tactics being as he's only been in charge for a half dozen of those games. We are there or there a bouts where we realistically were going to achieve to be. Baring in mind the debacles against City, West Ham and Liverpool i am entirely correct in saying we have done fine. Sherwoods done fine in his short time in charge but is looking very naive. Wenger showed it as will Pelligrini unless we tighten up and stop leaving ourselves so open and giving the better teams so much space.

I did note though that you haven't commented on the points regarding our lightweight midfields that he's employed. Do you think he was right? Do you think he should play City with a 4-4-2 or do you think it important to control the midfield. Do you think its important to give cover in front of two rather sluggish center backs or do you think they are comfortable with the likes of Aguero, Negredo, Giroud or Walcott running straight onto them?

Outstanding efforts by players do not unlock defenses do they? Every orchestra needs a conductor and we don't have one.

Finally, Soldado is having the first poor run of form of the last five years and the armchair know it alls have written him off with such glee it really would be hilarious if his past consistency returns. Doesn't he deserve your 100% support that you hold so loyally for our manager? or why not just stick with the rather stupid detractors on here that seen to have gleaned their football knowledge in its entirety of the backs sheets of the English gutter press.

Edited by carmine

I don't think trying Lamela up front paired with Adebayor is a completely ridiculous idea. Worth a shot maybe and what's the worse that could happen ? Who would take penalties if Soldado was on the bench though ? Too bad Spurs couldn't insert Soldado in for penalties like the loathsome designated hitter in half of MLB.

Its difficult to know who would take penalties in Soldado's absence because we didn't get awarded any last season! Probably Adebayor but we'll have to see.

BTW, love the comments about players being too lightweight for the premier league. Seem to remember the press barking on about Modric being too small and lightweight!

Its a classic example of the English being hopelessly outdated in their understanding of modern day football. No such thing anymore about being too small, too lightweight and it has not been the case for years. Its about technical ability and baring in mind the glaring lack of this in the English set up i rest my case

qué.........but Mr Fawlty,,,,,

To say we have done fine is based over the season so far and is in no way at odds with Sherwoods tactics being as he's only been in charge for a half dozen of those games. We are there or there a bouts where we realistically were going to achieve to be. Baring in mind the debacles against City, West Ham and Liverpool i am entirely correct in saying we have done fine. Sherwoods done fine in his short time in charge but is looking very naive. Wenger showed it as will Pelligrini unless we tighten up and stop leaving ourselves so open and giving the better teams so much space.

I did note though that you haven't commented on the points regarding our lightweight midfields that he's employed. Do you think he was right? Do you think he should play City with a 4-4-2 or do you think it important to control the midfield. Do you think its important to give cover in front of two rather sluggish center backs or do you think they are comfortable with the likes of Aguero, Negredo, Giroud or Walcott running straight onto them?

Outstanding efforts by players do not unlock defenses do they? Every orchestra needs a conductor and we don't have one.

Finally, Soldado is having the first poor run of form of the last five years and the armchair know it alls have written him off with such glee it really would be hilarious if his past consistency returns. Doesn't he deserve your 100% support that you hold so loyally for our manager? or why not just stick with the rather stupid detractors on here that seen to have gleaned their football knowledge in its entirety of the backs sheets of the English gutter press.

He will be warming the bench for quite some time after January, he's a waste of money.......period.

• Like 1

Spurs and Swansea have been locked into premier league sunday fixtures all season due to europa league commitments. great opportunity this weekend for both of us to play a 3.00 o'clock saturday game and what does the FA, sorry SKY do...........

Will we be sending an FA delegation or a SKY delegation to Rio in june?

I'm certainly not a know it all, though I do have an opinion and I pay little attention to the gutter press.... And that means all of them; they print sensational stories in order to sell and make money.

As for sticking with stupid detractors on TV you know full well that not to be the case. I'm sure you are not meaning to make this some kind of personal spat. We merely disagree on a vital point and can discuss in an amiable fashion.

You are pro-Soldado and think he will come good and you are seemingly content that we continue to compromise our chance of being higher in the table in order to give him more chance to settle and come good. He may well come good, but what I wonder is your timeframe? Or are you content with a few Torres type years?

I, on the other hand say we need another striker ASAP as I do indeed prefer a traditional 4-4-2 of attacking football; you know the kind that produces goals. True the back 4 can be exposed, and teams adopting 4-4-2 will concede. The art is to score more than you concede, and keep your fans entertained by having exciting strikers.

For me Soldado does not deserve my 100% support. I have watched every minute of every game this year, some at the Lane. He is lethargic and his positional play on many occasions has been quite disgraceful. His finishing unforgivable and he has the gall to point out just how difficult it is to score a penalty!

I don't believe our core central midfield to be lightweight with the likes of Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele, and the new boy seems to have some grit, so not sure of your point there?

What would I adopt against city (and Chelsea and Liverpool) for that matter)? Well firstly it depends who you have available. If the squad is diminished with injury or lack of fitness you have little choice but to go with the players you have. Ideally 4-2-3-1 with Sandro and Dembele/Paulinho and hopefully a fit Kaboul in behind, with Dawson, Walker and a choice of 3 at left back (V, C, R).

TS gambled with the diminished squad he had against Arsenal; he thought attack was the best form of defence. It didn't work, but I would be interested to hear about your alternative set up that would have secured us a victory with the squad that we had available? The fact of the matter is the top four are all incredibly good this year and with what we had available no amount of tactical nuance would have got us the victory me thinks. In this context I don't think city or Liverpool were debacles, we just got beat, and by a good few as we continued to try and get back in the game instead of parking the bus. A lose is a lose! Though shame about the goal difference for sure.

Agreed West Ham was utterly poor.

Good to see you now say 'Sherwoods done fine in his short time in charge ......' As for his naivety? Perhaps a little unkind given the enormous step up. I have the greatest admiration for him, he is spurs through and through. We will get beat again for sure, but I'll wager he will try and learn by how we lost as best he can and make the changes he can with what he has at his disposal.

He has bravely let Jermain go where others might have stubbornly tried to retain. I suspect the fee is there ready for his replacement and that someone will hopefully turn our goal scoring fortunes around.

Turning now to the Europa. This may well be where we have the advantage by playing our European players...... Chadli, Lamela, Capou and Soldado could all impart their considerable knowledge to assist TS in outfoxing the various European foes. And it is here where I would expect (pray) Soldado and the others to come good.

COYS ... Remember 'Audere est Facere'

• Like 2

Well i'm no great fan of Soldado either at the moment but i'm a great believer in good players don't just turn into bad players, they suffer dips in form. Torres is a big exemption in so much as he isn't a bad player but has never in the last three years at least ever played as well as he did prior. maybe the same will happen to Soldado but regardless theres a right load of old <deleted> been spouted on here regards this guy.

My set up against Arsenal would of course have been a 4-2-3-1 using a holding midfield alongside Dembele. Its a while ago now and i can't remember the specifics of who was fit or not but i do remember my feelings as the team was announced and my tv nearly copped it!! If i didn't know better i would think Sherwood was a double agent with the midfield he put out and i still find it hard to believe that a guy with all his years and experience in the game would have comprehended such a thing.

Massive amounts a garbage also spoken on here about Lamela but i'm enjoying it sothumbsup.gif i won't reiterate what all the powers that be at the clue, including our manager has said.

btw, no spat of course mate. As you say were arguing from different view points and i'm well aware of those that have a "different" agenda.

Need a win tonight then a nice little break until City on the 29th. we should have Vertonghen back for that, along with Walker and maybe Paulinho (who i want to see in the center of the attacking midfield) and you never know we might just pull off an upset.

• Like 2

Well i'm no great fan of Soldado either at the moment but i'm a great believer in good players don't just turn into bad players, they suffer dips in form. Torres is a big exemption in so much as he isn't a bad player but has never in the last three years at least ever played as well as he did prior. maybe the same will happen to Soldado but regardless theres a right load of old <deleted> been spouted on here regards this guy.

How can the same happen to Soldado? laugh.png

Torres showed he could be top class in the premier league, probably the best, but went off song for some reason.

Soldado started off <deleted> in the premier league and has remained <deleted>, maybe one day he will become average.

Well i'm no great fan of Soldado either at the moment but i'm a great believer in good players don't just turn into bad players, they suffer dips in form.

I agree. But by the same token, bad players don't just turn into good ones.

biggrin.png

A lot of crap being talked about Soldado.....to me he has had poor service and been isolated much of the time.

I hope we see more of him alongside Adebayor then we can see in May whether he should be heading back to Spain.

Who is going to provide the much needed service from now on, that has been sorely lacking so far?

At the rate he's going, by May I doubt whether anyone will care where he heads to. biggrin.png

Torres showed he could be top class in the premier league, probably the best, but went off song for some reason.

Soldado started off <deleted> in the premier league and has remained <deleted>, maybe one day he will become average.

Does he owe you money or is it more of this Spurs obsession thingy? Anymore comments on Lamela whilst were on this obsession thing because i'll be pinning your posts all ready for the day when you are going to look rather sillysmile.png

btw, does lamela owe you money?

Does he owe you money or is it more of this Spurs obsession thingy? Anymore comments on Lamela whilst were on this obsession thing because i'll be pinning your posts all ready for the day when you are going to look rather sillysmile.png

btw, does lamela owe you money?

Do Spurs owe you money?jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.giflaugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Edited by carmine

A lot of crap being talked about Soldado.....to me he has had poor service and been isolated much of the time.

I hope we see more of him alongside Adebayor then we can see in May whether he should be heading back to Spain.

Who is going to provide the much needed service from now on, that has been sorely lacking so far?

At the rate he's going, by May I doubt whether anyone will care where he heads to. biggrin.png

My point is a simple one.....with two strikers playing he will get more space and someone to link up play with better than before.

Personally I think he has been better in a 442.