Tottenham Thread

chonabot

2 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Keep pounding those grapes laddie.

Looking forward to a very entertaining game tomorrow.....will your lot be defending deep or looking to be have a go heroes?

If we all ignore him hopefully he'll just <deleted> off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Another beast to add to a defence that is already the best in the league, can't believe that some of the  big clubs in the league who are desperate for a centre half have missed out on this guy ! 

Should enable us to play Poch's favourite formation of 3 at the back more often, happy day's !

This signings got three at the back written all over it.  He just looks such a good fit.  

• Like 1

Boom. The hoodoo continues for the spids 

• Win vs Chelsea, 2008 League Cup final
  • Loss vs Man Utd, 2009 League Cup final
  • Loss vs Portsmouth, 2010 FA Cup semi final
  • Loss vs Chelsea, 2012 FA Cup semi final
  • Loss vs Chelsea, 2015 League Cup final
  • Loss vs Monaco, 2016 Champions League
  • Loss vs Bayer Leverkusen, 2016 Champions League
  • Win vs CKSA Moscow, 2016 Champions League
  • Draw vs Gent, 2017 Europa League

18th August 2017 - LOSS to Chelsea.

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Boom. The hoodoo continues for the spids 

• Win vs Chelsea, 2008 League Cup final
  • Loss vs Man Utd, 2009 League Cup final
  • Loss vs Portsmouth, 2010 FA Cup semi final
  • Loss vs Chelsea, 2012 FA Cup semi final
  • Loss vs Chelsea, 2015 League Cup final
  • Loss vs Monaco, 2016 Champions League
  • Loss vs Bayer Leverkusen, 2016 Champions League
  • Win vs CKSA Moscow, 2016 Champions League
  • Draw vs Gent, 2017 Europa League

18th August 2017 - LOSS to Chelsea.

Well obviously I'm delighted that you think our defeat was due to some black magic mumbo jumbo rather than us being the poorer side on the day.

Very early in the season and whilst I'm disappointed to lose I'll take comfort in the performance which was excellent for the most part.

Highly entertaining game I thought but the new rules should certainly be looking at that free kick for the first goal and issuing the 1 match ban.

Edited by RonniePickering22

Just now, RonniePickering22 said:

Well obviously I'm delighted that you think our defeat was due to some black magic mumbo jumbo rather than us being the poorer side on the day.

Very early in the season and whilst I'm disappointed to lose I'll take comfort in the performance which was excellent for the most part.

Highly entertaining game I thought but the new rules should certainly be looking at that free kick for the first goal and issuing the 1 match ban.

Sorry that should read 20th August.

Not the best start after a strong performance. No losses at home all last season. 1st home = 1st loss 

It was an entertaining game , and we did not play bad , but... it was Chelsea. Not a good start if you want to win a title. But let's wait and see after 5 games where we are. 

9 minutes ago, balo said:

It was an entertaining game , and we did not play bad , but... it was Chelsea. Not a good start if you want to win a title. But let's wait and see after 5 games where we are. 

Were not going to win the title.  Wembley won't effect our standard pf play but it probably will empower the opposition.  If we were at WHL i think we could give a really good go of it but thats the price you pay for having a new stadium built.

• Like 2

Let down by two of our best performers last season, Loris and Wanyama both gave a poor

performance.

Rarely happens, especially Wanyama who kept giving away possession throughout the match

the rest of the team played well.

Lloris's distribution was poor, but it's never been his strong point.

In hindsight, Poch could have replaced Wanyama for Son instead of taking off Dier who was

playing well i thought. Maybe it's cos he was on a yellow.

Anyway, still only the second game and encouraged by the overall team performance.

Our first Wembley home win needs to come soon though, just to get the media off our backs

and take the pressure off the players.

4 minutes ago, sotsira said:

Let down by two of our best performers last season, Loris and Wanyama both gave a poor

performance.

Rarely happens, especially Wanyama who kept giving away possession throughout the match

the rest of the team played well.

Lloris's distribution was poor, but it's never been his strong point.

In hindsight, Poch could have replaced Wanyama for Son instead of taking off Dier who was

playing well i thought. Maybe it's cos he was on a yellow.

Anyway, still only the second game and encouraged by the overall team performance.

Our first Wembley home win needs to come soon though, just to get the media off our backs

and take the pressure off the players.

Yes pulling Dier off left a hole in our defence. A lesson there!

4 hours ago, carmine said:

Ruud Gullit reckons Davinson Sanchez is the best Ajax defender since Jaap Stam.  Meanwhile, Sky pundit Paul Merson has never heard of him!!

ruud gullit is a bit off base then 'cos jaap stam made his name at psv eindhoven rather than ajax. 

spurs were a bit unlucky there but i think conte has a good point when he says that playing at wembley is likely to inspire tottenhams' opponents.

The problem with playing at Wemley is that it is simply not a home game.

At WHL the result percentages wold be in the order of:

75% win

18% draw

07% loss.

At Wembley  I' d be happy with a 60% win percentage. So unless the away percentages is as the home games of last season then we have to accept a very average season.

9 hours ago, carmine said:

Ruud Gullit reckons Davinson Sanchez is the best Ajax defender since Jaap Stam.  Meanwhile, Sky pundit Paul Merson has never heard of him!!

Merson is a dense, imposter and it's the eighth wonder of the world that he's spunked his way on to our TV screens. Compared to him, Ruud is Stephen Hawking.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, StevieH said:

ruud gullit is a bit off base then 'cos jaap stam made his name at psv eindhoven rather than ajax. 

spurs were a bit unlucky there but i think conte has a good point when he says that playing at wembley is likely to inspire tottenhams' opponents.

Yeah, i posted something along these lines end of last season.  Whilst the media continue to focus on the possibilities of Tottenham underperforming at Wembley this is really not going to be the case.  What is going to be the case is us having to play an addedly motivated opposition every other week.  Saying that, with a performance like that against Chelsea i don't see a crisis looming that the football media seem to be clearly hoping for.

Edited by carmine

13 hours ago, carmine said:

Saying that, with a performance like that against Chelsea i don't see a crisis looming that the football media seem to be clearly hoping for.

Spurs "peaked" last season without winning anything,sorry but with the squad you have it,s only downhill from now on......:sad:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carmine said:

Yeah, i posted something along these lines end of last season.  Whilst the media continue to focus on the possibilities of Tottenham underperforming at Wembley this is really not going to be the case.  What is going to be the case is us having to play an addedly motivated opposition every other week.  Saying that, with a performance like that against Chelsea i don't see a crisis looming that the football media seem to be clearly hoping for.

Firstly I can't agree that the football media is hoping for a crisis. I think most have good thoughts about Spurs and would like to see a new Champion; as they did with Leicester,

Wembley is not Spurs home ground so the opposition are automatically more confident of getting a result. In turn Spurs (players) have to believe that they have an edge in order ro dent the opponent's initial belief and enthusiasm.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Firstly I can't agree that the football media is hoping for a crisis. I think most have good thoughts about Spurs and would like to see a new Champion; as they did with Leicester,

Wembley is not Spurs home ground so the opposition are automatically more confident of getting a result. In turn Spurs (players) have to believe that they have an edge in order ro dent the opponent's initial belief and enthusiasm.

yes, agree with that. don't really feel that the media have any particular axe to grind with spurs. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, petermik said:

Spurs "peaked" last season without winning anything,sorry but with the squad you have it,s only downhill from now on......:sad:

I don't really understand your logic in believing its only downhill.  Its a young team thats had yet longer to blend together with no significant loss of players, because Walker wasn't starting.  

Theres no logic other than to say it will only get better.

21 hours ago, petermik said:

The current squad has as good a starting 11 as any of the big spending Manchester & London clubs.

The only thing lacking is 3 or 4 additions to increase the depth which i think will be addressed in the 

remaining 8 days of this window.

3 minutes ago, sotsira said:

The current squad has as good a starting 11 as any of the big spending Manchester & London clubs.

The only thing lacking is 3 or 4 additions to increase the depth which i think will be addressed in the 

Don't bother Sots, he's just on a wind up.  Just has limited ability at it sadly........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sotsira said:

14 hours ago, carmine said:

I don't really understand your logic in believing its only downhill.  Its a young team thats had yet longer to blend together with no significant loss of players, because Walker wasn't starting.  

Theres no logic other than to say it will only get better.

On your day your best 11 are as good as any in the prem,absolutely no doubt,however when the demands of 2 games a week and with players picking up injuries you need a good squad,maybe 20 or so players,this is where the strength of any club competing seriously for honours lies.....Spurs/Liverpool are in the same position,both squads seriously lacking depth in quality.

Your performances last season in Europe were (sorry to say) pathetic,your league form only picked up when the demands of midweek games went away,after this some of your football was a joy to watch......but you won NOTHING,maybe if Chelsea had the demands of midweek european games their march to the title would not have been so easy.

The winning of honours is not down to the starting 11 but the quality of the players coming off the bench.

Playing at Wembley is a hinderence for you as it will only motivate other teams/players to perform better.

There are players at Spurs that can walk into other premiership teams and double their wages,these players know this and unless this anomaly is rectified it will lead to discontent..........as Danny Rose has allready spoken about.

Difficult season for Spurs coming up is my honest opinion :sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petermik said:

On your day your best 11 are as good as any in the prem,absolutely no doubt,however when the demands of 2 games a week and with players picking up injuries you need a good squad,maybe 20 or so players,this is where the strength of any club competing seriously for honours lies.....Spurs/Liverpool are in the same position,both squads seriously lacking depth in quality.

Your performances last season in Europe were (sorry to say) pathetic,your league form only picked up when the demands of midweek games went away,after this some of your football was a joy to watch......but you won NOTHING,maybe if Chelsea had the demands of midweek european games their march to the title would not have been so easy.

The winning of honours is not down to the starting 11 but the quality of the players coming off the bench.

Playing at Wembley is a hinderence for you as it will only motivate other teams/players to perform better.

There are players at Spurs that can walk into other premiership teams and double their wages,these players know this and unless this anomaly is rectified it will lead to discontent..........as Danny Rose has allready spoken about.

Difficult season for Spurs coming up is my honest opinion :sad:

Total  rubbish ! 

14 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Total  rubbish ! 

Yes largely just the usual drivel, but he has a slight point in that our squad needs a little strengthening.  However that will be sorted by the end of the window and couple that with the return of some long term injured we'll be fine.  

I think what really gets under the skins of some other fans is we don't just throw money at a situation.  Or maybe that our first choice starting eleven cost 79m and Lukaku or Pogba cost how much?!!!!!  And then theres the ludicrous salaries.............