Tottenham Thread

chonabot

7 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Totally agree on putting out the strongest side available for every game.

Hopefully he has learnt from this tinkerman experiment.

By the looks of Poch afterwards he already had realised! :ph34r:

Doesn,t work like this Ronnie when playing twice a week............you need a squad with some depth....haven,t you learnt this from last season :whistling:

43 minutes ago, petermik said:

Doesn,t work like this Ronnie when playing twice a week............you need a squad with some depth....haven,t you learnt this from last season :whistling:

Our squad depth is much improved this season Peter as I'm sure you have noted.

Cover for injuries is importand as are well timed subs.

Starting with your best team however is just good management.

23 hours ago, petermik said:

Hardly Ronnie................:ohmy:

23 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We have 100% more strikers than we had last season. :post-4641-1156694572:

You mean that guy you paid a fortune for from the highly rated Welsh side :clap2:

6 minutes ago, petermik said:

You mean that guy you paid a fortune for from the highly rated Welsh side :clap2:

Is there ever a time when you don't feel the need to laugh at your attempts at a joke?  

Seriously, theres a couple of you on here that are well worthy of having your own thread set up by the mods, entitled "boring <deleted> that no one else wants to have to listen to"......why don't you have a word, and do one? And take R2D2 with you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carmine said:

Is there ever a time when you don't feel the need to laugh at your attempts at a joke?  

Seriously, theres a couple of you on here that are well worthy of having your own thread set up by the mods, entitled "boring <deleted> that no one else wants to have to listen to"......why don't you have a word, and do one? And take R2D2 with you.

Ignore........simple,easy..........for some at least  :whistling:  why not try it :clap2:

p.s. you will be missed :cheesy:

Carmine can I make a very good suggestion to you with regards "couple of you on here" that YOU personally have a problem with. Do as I do and put those who irritate on 'ignore'. It works brilliantly. I have a ManU, a Spurs and a Liverpool poster on ignore and no more irritation from them. Try it for a week and see what you reckon.

20 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Carmine can I make a very good suggestion to you with regards "couple of you on here" that YOU personally have a problem with. Do as I do and put those who irritate on 'ignore'. It works brilliantly. I have a ManU, a Spurs and a Liverpool poster on ignore and no more irritation from them. Try it for a week and see what you reckon.

Or then again perhaps have the conversation with MrB.  Its also very obvious thats its far from just me that has a problem with them.  It probably has a lot to do with why we've already lost some really good posters

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

On 17/9/2560 at 1:26 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

Our squad depth is much improved this season Peter as I'm sure you have noted.

Cover for injuries is importand as are well timed subs.

Starting with your best team however is just good management.

I don't agree with the last line. For us this season there are only two comp's. If the ChLg pans out well then the last couple of games - when the pressure is off - can be used for blooding in a youngster or two.

At the top levels the manager needs to know how to get a result. A change in formation perhaps. An extra defender/midfielder at the expense of an attacking player might be just what the fixture calls for.

Just as an addendum; I read last year that D Costa was one of the league's quickest over 5 metres from a standing start.

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

I don't agree with the last line. For us this season there are only two comp's. If the ChLg pans out well then the last couple of games - when the pressure is off - can be used for blooding in a youngster or two.

At the top levels the manager needs to know how to get a result. A change in formation perhaps. An extra defender/midfielder at the expense of an attacking played might be just what the fixture calls for.

Just as an addendum; I read last year that D Costa was one of the league's quickest over 5 metres from a standing start.

well Pochettino might want to prioritize the league and champions league but is this sensible when we are clearly not yet good enough to win either but clearly good enough to win one of either the other domestic cups?  This squad can clearly go far and is strengthened from last season but before we get ahead of ourselves would it be better to just win one of them?  we already know we can't realistically compete with the big spending Manchester clubs.

22 minutes ago, carmine said:

<snip>  This squad can clearly go far and is strengthened from last season but before we get ahead of ourselves would it be better to just win one of them?  we already know we can't realistically compete with the big spending Manchester clubs.

Why can't we compete?? Of course we can!! This is just soooooooooo negative. We might not be able to match them in spending power but on the pitch we are at least their equals.

How many of the Leicester players, in their title winning year, would have got into the big boy's squads?? Just two or three or four; that's all. 

It's up to the coaching/management team to do the bizzo on the training pitch. To understand the next opposition. To drill into each player's their responsibilities within the system. To ensure that the formation and the system comes as second nature. If Spurs are going to play the zonal system then every player has to fully understand their role in it.

Pep - of M Cty - also favours the zonal system. And I bet they practice it day-in day-out just like Poch has to.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

A bit of good news looming is Danny Rose should be back in a fortnight.

Lamela as well sometime in November although I'm struggling to see how he will fit in now.

Its clear to me we need either Dembele or Wanyama playing as the midfield appears to lack leadership otherwise.

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Why can't we compete?? Of course we can!! This is just soooooooooo negative. We might not be able to match them in spending power but on the pitch we are at least their equals.

How many of the Leicester players, in their title winning year, would have got into the big boy's squads?? Just two or three or four; that's all. 

It's up to the coaching/management team to do the bizzo on the training pitch. To understand the next opposition. To drill into each player's their responsibilities within the system. To ensure that the formation and the system comes as second nature. If Spurs are going to play the zonal system then every player has to fully understand their role in it.

Pep - of M Cty - also favours the zonal system. And I bet they practice it day-in day-out just like Poch has to.

We were never going to win the league at Wembley.

However I still feel we are easily one of the top four teams so should make the CL.

Long way to go however!

27 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Its just not realistic.  Our starting eleven is a match for any of them but we don't have the millions of talent thats happy to sit on their bench on 150k a week.  Thats why they have greater depth.  Until our squad gains a little more experience and the new stadiums built its going to be tough.  I don't think thats negative a such, more realistic, at this stage.

On 18/09/2017 at 5:29 AM, petermik said:

Ignore........simple,easy..........for some at least  :whistling:  why not try it :clap2:

p.s. you will be missed :cheesy:

Been ignoring this poster for a while now. After I predicted his biesla philosophy would be partly sacrificed for some experienced heads to ensure THFC kicked on. I did him a big favour ignoring him and I gotta say, it works a treat providing you actually ignore them bareback!

The basis for my choice of ignorance is based purely on the individuals content which has a 70/30 arguementative narrative. If you check the posters last 100 posts and see how many times they like to call names or use words to degrade people it's pretty furkin clear who the trolls actually are and I would not mind but if you cannot take it you should not give it.

36 minutes ago, carmine said:

Its just not realistic.  Our starting eleven is a match for any of them but we don't have the millions of talent thats happy to sit on their bench on 150k a week.  Thats why they have greater depth.  Until our squad gains a little more experience and the new stadiums built its going to be tough.  I don't think thats negative a such, more realistic, at this stage.

Don't disagree with the overall paragraph.

I have posted very similar to this theme. Wembley will be more difficult for the EPL than the Ch Lg. Wembley is a big playing area. Keeping zonal discipline is essential. I didn't see enough of it in the three home games so far. I'm sure Poch is working on it.

Forget these big wages; forget the big names, forget the "millions of talent that's happy to sit on their bench on 150k a week."  Spurs have the management, the players and the support. Not sure about the system Poch is employing; we will see. It's what is practiced on the training pitch that wins titles not players on big money.

However I do agree about the EPL. Perhaps not even next year will we see Spurs put allcomers to the sword. It often takes a season to find out all the landmarks and little pitch bumps (just ask WHU, Arsenal, Saints, Man Cty etc.).

AND I do agree with the poster who agrees with me about the away points.

Edited by owl sees all

26 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

The basis for my choice of ignorance is based purely on the individuals content which has a 70/30 arguementative narrative. If you check the posters last 100 posts and see how many times they like to call names or use words to degrade people it's pretty furkin clear who the trolls actually are and I would not mind but if you cannot take it you should not give it.

Rc; please don't let these people turn us away from talking FOOTBALL' There is nothing more important in the world than footy! Well perhaps just a couple of things!!!!

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

What zonal system is that ?

27 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

What zonal system is that ?

It is a way of playing where the pitch is divided up into areas. If a player moves into your area you must cover the area they have just left. It lends itself favourably to 2-4-4, 4-2-4 and 4-4-2. 

In these days of overlapping attackers (full backs becoming wingers) it is so easy to lose shape. If the ball is lost during the attack the team can be vunerable to a swift counter attack. 

At the same time the zones move up and down the field depending upon the game cicumstances. Not leaving zones empty. Controling the pitch

Built into this is 'straight line theory'. It is more effective when the players in their zones are not in straight lines. Without the same jargon; Liverpool were the first big club to dominate with it although I first saw a semblence of it with Burnley in the early 60s with Harry Potts at the helm and Adamson pulling the strings.

I think Man City are most advanced this season. Just watch them play zonal as they did at the w/e. (albeit fortunate with two goals).

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

54 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

It is a way of playing where the pitch is divided up into areas. If a player moves into your area you must cover the area they have just left. It lends itself favourably to 2-4-4, 4-2-4 and 4-4-2. 

In these days of overlapping attackers (full backs becoming wingers) it is so easy to lose shape. If the ball is lost during the attack the team can be vunerable to a swift counter attack. 

At the same time the zones move up and down the field depending upon the game cicumstances. Not leaving zones empty. Controling the pitch

Built into this is 'straight line theory'. It is more effective when the players in their zones are not in straight lines. Without the same jargon; Liverpool were the first big club to dominate with it although I first saw a semblence of it with Burnley in the early 60s with Harry Potts at the helm and Adamson pulling the strings.

I think Man City are most advanced this season. Just watch them play zonal as they did at the w/e. (albeit fortunate with two goals).

We'll be playing with two wing backs and three across the back.

Zonal football?

Errm right....

57 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We'll be playing with two wing backs and three across the back.

Hi RP.

If Spurs put out their 'best' team; say v Stoke or WBA or WHU, teams where we would be favourite to win. What would be the formation?

Edited by owl sees all

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Hi RP.

If Spurs put out their 'best' team; say v Stoke or WBA or WHU, teams where we would be favourite to win. What would be the formation? 

Three at the back with Aurier and Rose as wing backs.

Two of Wanyama/Dembele/Dier in front of the defence with our front three of choice.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Three at the back with Aurier and Rose as wing backs.

Two of Wanyama/Dembele/Dier in front of the defence with our front three of choice.

So are we talking 5-2-3? That can quickly change into 3-5-3.

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

13 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Playing 3-5-3 would be great but i'm not too sure the other team would be happy :cheesy:

I'm not suggesting the goalie joins the back two!! Can't do my sums! I reckon 5-2-3 changing into 3-4-3 would be better. And if the two wing backs kick right on it might be 3-2-5? Almost back to the double winning teams formation. Although in essence they played a 3-3-4 with Les Allen sitting just behind Bobby Smith. John White dropped back.

Interesting to note that in the Charity shield that year - against an England X1 - they played 5-2-3 that quickly changed into a 3-4-3 when they were attacking.

Edited by owl sees all
added more content
  • Like 1

I'm really struggling to grasp the recent team selections.  If he's prioritising the league and CL i would presume you start with your strongest eleven available.  That would mean Dembele and Aurier.  What it does mean is playing Dembele against Barnsley directly before we play the pikeys who treat this game as their annual cup final.  

I wouldn't mind so much if i could see the logic but there doesn't seem to be any.  First time i've said this but for the Swansea draw i feel that Poch and his team selection has to take the blame despite Mike Deans awful officiating.

• Like 1