Tottenham Thread

chonabot

48 minutes ago, champers said:

£60M is the issue, not taking a dig at City (honest guv). If you don't think City don't sometimes overpay for players we will have to agree to disagree. Due to your extreme wealth, selling clubs do up the price and City pay it, IMHO.

I might have believed this to be true last season but not so much currently. Nearly all EPL clubs paying a premium now methinks.

12 hours ago, jellydog said:

I might have believed this to be true last season but not so much currently. Nearly all EPL clubs paying a premium now methinks.

Don't you think though that with the exceptions of Chelsea, City and probably United, its just unsustainable?  I think the vast increase in fees and salaries is worrying for the game.

Former long term Spurs target Joao Moutinho has just been bought by Wolves for 5m.  Strikes me as a very sharp piece of business by them.

Reports now that we are listening to offers for seven players.  It seems very clear now that Poch doesn't want Rose and clearly never forgave him for that ill advised interview with the Scum news rag.

6 minutes ago, carmine said:

Don't you think though that with the exceptions of Chelsea, City and probably United, its just unsustainable?  I think the vast increase in fees and salaries is worrying for the game.

If the clubs have less income or "support" I think the transfer fees will roll back. Until then, no. But, I am far from being an expert on money in football. Bores the tits off me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carmine said:

Former long term Spurs target Joao Moutinho has just been bought by Wolves for 5m.  Strikes me as a very sharp piece of business by them.

Reports now that we are listening to offers for seven players.  It seems very clear now that Poch doesn't want Rose and clearly never forgave him for that ill advised interview with the Scum news rag.

The Mendes influence in full bloom.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carmine said:

I grow less hopeful with each passing day. At least the sun is shining!

10 minutes ago, jellydog said:

If the clubs have less income or "support" I think the transfer fees will roll back. Until then, no. But, I am far from being an expert on money in football. Bores the tits off me.

As a City fan posting on this thread you are very astute young man! :clap2:

15 hours ago, jellydog said:

Leicester wanted 90m for Mahrez; so 60M maybe a reasonable price. The transfer market is bonkers. Gone are the days when we could all probably put a figure to a player's worth with reasonable accuracy - not now.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

...but more money keeps coming in to the game, the game keeps getting bigger, more markets are opening to the Premier,...

4 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Leicester wanted 90m for Mahrez; so 60M maybe a reasonable price. The transfer market is bonkers. Gone are the days when we could all probably put a figure to a player's worth with reasonable accuracy - not now.

What Leicester set his price as is irrelevant to whether you got a good deal.  Perhaps you have but its a lot of money for a guy to warm the bench.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

What Leicester set his price as is irrelevant to whether you got a good deal.  Perhaps you have but its a lot of money for a guy to warm the bench.

Crazy to consider if we spent 60m quid on a player it would have to be a very clear jump in quality for the position.....a key and pivotal member of the squad.

32 minutes ago, carmine said:

So by Triggs logic, if Leicester had set Mahrez price at 150m then he would be thinking City got a bargain ?

Villa putting a 55m tag on Grealish.  I don't rate him much and i don't want him, not even for half that.

This markets insane now....Grealish 55m, Hazard upwards of 170m, United looking at 90m for Martial, MacGuire 65m, 63m keepers and 60m bench warmers.....madness!!!!

10 minutes ago, carmine said:

Villa putting a 55m tag on Grealish.  I don't rate him much and i don't want him, not even for half that.

This markets insane now....Grealish 55m, Hazard upwards of 170m, United looking at 90m for Martial, MacGuire 65m, 63m keepers and 60m bench warmers.....madness!!!!

I had to laugh at the chavs 70m valuation of Willian.....a player they signed for nothing.

Hilarious money for a 29 year old midfielder.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Yup, couldn't make it up could you!!!

Alfie, the forum cynic - "So by Triggs logic, if Leicester had set Mahrez price at 150m then he would be thinking City got a bargain "

Nope. Step by step. Leicester  wanted 90m.  i reckon 60m is a reasonable  valuation for mahrez. IF we've  bought the mahrez of Leicester  premier  winning form then we will definitely  have a bought a player. It's  also rumoured that City and Sterling  are in a contract tussle so we've  bought  already a replacement  if we need to sell on Sterling. Time will tell if he's  a good buy. Khaojai mai.

37 minutes ago, carmine said:

Richarlison  (spelling) 50m.

51 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I had to laugh at the chavs 70m valuation of Willian.....a player they signed for nothing.

Hilarious money for a 29 year old midfielder.

I was looking at Poch’s signings. I’d say he’s got it right about 50% of the time:

- Good signings - Ben Davies, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Heung-Min Son, Kieran Trippier, Toby Alderweireld, Victor Wanyama, Davinson Sanchez, Lucas Moura (9)

- Bad signings - Michel Vorm, DeAndre Yedlin, Federico Fazio, Benjamin Stambouli, Clinton Njie, Kevin Wimmer, Moussa Sissoko, Vincent Janssen, Fernando Llorente (9)

- Yet to be convinced - Serge Aurier,

- Don’t know them - Juan Foyth, Paulo Gazzaniga, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou, Pau Lopez,

I also looked at Spurs 10 most expensive signings. I’d say you've got it right about 50% of the time: 

- Good signings - Sanchez £42M, Moura 23M, Son 18M, Modric 16.5M, Dembele 15M (5)

- Bad signings - Lemonala 30M, Sissoko 30M, Soldado 30M, Janssen 17M, Paulinho 17M, Bent 16.5M (5)

It's not easy spending money for any club, is it, for Spurs half have worked out and half haven't.

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Alfie, the forum cynic - "So by Triggs logic, if Leicester had set Mahrez price at 150m then he would be thinking City got a bargain "

Nope. Step by step. Leicester  wanted 90m.  i reckon 60m is a reasonable  valuation for mahrez. IF we've  bought the mahrez of Leicester  premier  winning form then we will definitely  have a bought a player. It's  also rumoured that City and Sterling  are in a contract tussle so we've  bought  already a replacement  if we need to sell on Sterling. Time will tell if he's  a good buy. Khaojai mai.

Why does Trigg just have to post for the sake of it !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was looking at Poch’s signings. I’d say he’s got it right about 50% of the time:

- Good signings - Ben Davies, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Heung-Min Son, Kieran Trippier, Toby Alderweireld, Victor Wanyama, Davinson Sanchez, Lucas Moura (9)

- Bad signings - Michel Vorm, DeAndre Yedlin, Federico Fazio, Benjamin Stambouli, Clinton Njie, Kevin Wimmer, Moussa Sissoko, Vincent Janssen, Fernando Llorente (9)

- Yet to be convinced - Serge Aurier,

- Don’t know them - Juan Foyth, Paulo Gazzaniga, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou, Pau Lopez,

I also looked at Spurs 10 most expensive signings. I’d say you've got it right about 50% of the time: 

- Good signings - Sanchez £42M, Moura 23M, Son 18M, Modric 16.5M, Dembele 15M (5)

- Bad signings - Lemonala 30M, Sissoko 30M, Soldado 30M, Janssen 17M, Paulinho 17M, Bent 16.5M (5)

It's not easy spending money for any club, is it, for Spurs half have worked out and half haven't.

Half is a good ratio....have a look at Newcastle....or recently Man Utd lolz.

11 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

That's got to be the post of the year. Out of the 2 posts, which one is posting "for the sake of it"

alfie.JPG

But it kind of completely true isn't it.  Banal quips about Spurs or irrelevant posts about City on our thread....no actually it is pointing out the situation as it is.  I'm afraid posts tripe like "where do you think Spurs will finish" two <deleted> weeks before the season has even started is one of two things. its either a blatant troll post or its just posting for the sake of it.  See he's started early this morning too...lol

20 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Crazy to consider if we spent 60m quid on a player it would have to be a very clear jump in quality for the position.....a key and pivotal member of the squad.

And the point that they completely overlook is that when they buy the strengthen because they don't need to sell.

Other clubs, like us, need to sell before we buy.  However, the crux of it is that the players you need to sell have to be the players that other clubs want to buy.  A point well made recently.

(I tried to explain this point in relation to Liverpool as a prime example but apparently this isn't acceptable presumably because City are still sore at being knocked out of the CL by them.  But at the end of the day the Coutinho money plus a handy 12.5m for Ward paid for vVD and Allison whether these same dissenters care to admit it or not.  City, Chelsea and United simply don't have this problem)