Tottenham Thread

chonabot

5 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Re Wanyama that is fantastic news and gives us three def mids to rotate through the CL stages which will help massively in our league campaign.

My only worry now is an injury to Kane....other than that we have excellent cover throughout.

An injury to Kane is always a concern yet, we've always coped well when he's been sidelined.  If Son comes back we have him and Lucas Moura to step in, which would be great because I just don't think Llorente is up to it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

Crunch time for Son this weekend. Victory for S Korea v Japan in Asian Games will exempt him from national service. Defeat and it's bye bye for 18 months.

Hope Wilai W_nka doesn't mind me steeling his thunder.

Asian Games final takes place on Saturday, September 1.

It will kick off at 6.30pm local time or 12.30pm in the UK.

Come on you Japan!

Edited by Bredbury Blue

15 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Hope Wilai W_nka doesn't mind me steeling his thunder.

Asian Games final takes place on Saturday, September 1.

It will kick off at 6.30pm local time or 12.30pm in the UK.

Come on you Japan!

Clashes with Leicester v Liverpool.

3 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Poor goal rate for me in the Scottish Premiership I'd be expecting a total goalfest if he were good enough for us.

Yes yes sad to say its a poor league up there.

Cant see that.. over 2 / 3 seasons  his rate for celtic is 1 in just under 2 games.. good enuf  for  punt ? Maybe .. but the step up to a  champs lge top 4  club from the scottish prem maybe a step to far .. but a move to france?  .. football wise  that aint a great one imo..  its a move home for the kid i suppose.. anyways meant time  were stuck with a striker that is juggernought slow and only REALLY effective in the air.. but hey... were skint!!

16 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I love the anything but Spurs mantra.

I think the gnome might have a bit of spam in him somewhere....

I think his obsessive interest in all things Spurs is quite unhealthy.  Aside of the fact its become so tedious he should be reported.

It stems from being out of his depth simply discussing football?

Good to read Pochettino's comments regards the Old Trafford fixture.  He wasn't happy due to the first half performance.

Great to have a manager that sets his sights high.  Any moaning Spurs fans, of which there are a few, should remember the days when we expected nothing from a fixture against United.  We now have a manager that has completely changed the mentality.

Spurs v Man U was the most awaited fixture in the top flight during the 1960s; sort of north v south. During the EPL era it was Arsenal v Man U. Now I think it's Liverpool v City.

A lot of clubs - that are not even in the EPL - have been champions since SupurSpurs won way back.

I think it's time for SSpurs to rise to the top again and strike fear into all the other hopefuls.

BTW; well done Son (and SK). Hope you like the bench. Do some press-ups while you wait. So willowly.

6586886250933485061.png

Edited by owl sees all

Well a sheet fest of disasters today....we were poor going forward and even worse defensively.

I thought we should have had the beast on after 60 mins and if he is not ready why is he on the bench??

Really really poor performance with a catalogue of simple mistakes and Poch will no doubt be busy with the replay over the next couple of days sorting this mess out.

Take nothing from Watford btw....they were excellent and dangerous going forward.

Edited by RonniePickering22

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Fair play to Poch though he cheered me up some by introducing Winks who it is great to see back playing again....take the positives where we can this weekend!

and atm kane aint one of them positives,, alli deeper ain teffective,  however as much as i bitched about him thought lorrente did ok nice touch and good strong on the ball   i rate davies over rose but rose is  far more effective round the box, but with  three xross the bac  it'suit him over davies  anyways we lost to a  decent team and we wont be alone in that this year  , boo bloody hoo ,,,, 

Real sloppy stuff from Spurs.  Watford are a very decent side but the way we let them get at us in the second half was stupid.  Defensively poor and i thought Vertonghen was poor. Surely there should have been better challenges to those two headed goals?  Poor stuff from us yesterday.

I also thought at 1-0 up it would have been prudent to introduce a defensive midfield alongside Dembele and switch to a 4231.  That would have been a more telling substitution as opposed to letting yourselves get out muscled, overran in midfield, go 2-1 down and have to bring on Llorente.

All in all and very annoying defeat and lessons to be learnt all round.  It was always going to be a physical game and we didn't approach it right.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

I also thought at 1-0 up it would have been prudent to introduce a defensive midfield alongside Dembele and switch to a 4231.  That would have been a more telling substitution as opposed to letting yourselves get out muscled, overran in midfield, go 2-1 down and have to bring on Llorente.

All in all and very annoying defeat and lessons to be learnt all round.  It was always going to be a physical game and we didn't approach it right.

See my comment re the beast above....obvious substitution to move to a back four....Poch really messed up there.

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

See my comment re the beast above....obvious substitution to move to a back four....Poch really messed up there.

Yes he did i'm afraid.  But what irritates me is why is it that we didn't look up for the scrap in the first half?  It was obvious that was how it was going to go, especially noting some of the physical players they have who like to get in your face.  

Tough loss, but Watford were relentless on their home ground. Javi Gracia has them playing very good football. He had a very good reputation in Spain, and its showing.

As an old centre-back Pochy sure to be miffed with those goals from set pieces.

Add in that Harry really should have scored with his header at the end.

17 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes he did i'm afraid.  But what irritates me is why is it that we didn't look up for the scrap in the first half?  It was obvious that was how it was going to go, especially noting some of the physical players they have who like to get in your face.  

It was reckless to play three across the back against Watford and Dembele on his own....if Wanyama is not able to play 90 mins he shouldn't be on the bench imho.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

and atm kane aint one of them positives,, alli deeper ain teffective,  however as much as i bitched about him thought lorrente did ok nice touch and good strong on the ball   i rate davies over rose but rose is  far more effective round the box, but with  three xross the bac  it'suit him over davies  anyways we lost to a  decent team and we wont be alone in that this year  , boo bloody hoo ,,,, 

Very true the lad has been sluggish since the back end of last season when he came back from injury too early and the penalties in the WC glossed over his overall performance. If he has any sense he will tell southgate he needs a break

16 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Confirms what i said to rij about foreign players hedging against lower sterling. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/premier-league-footballers-hedge-against-falling-pound-1.3609455

Yeah but the point is sterlin will get lower and hedging will only work so far in advance ultimatly it will COST  and now the prem are havin to go cap in hand... oh can we be exempt... probably not ...either way leavin europe will have an effect on prem  recruitment unavoidable. A bad thing? who knows.