Michelle Obama navigates limits on women in Saudi Arabia

webfact

Michelle Obama navigates limits on women in Saudi Arabia

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — For first lady Michelle Obama, just a few hours in Saudi Arabia were enough to illustrate the stark limitations under which Saudi women live.

Joining President Barack Obama for a condolence visit after the death of the King Abdullah, Mrs. Obama stepped off of Air Force One wearing long pants and a long, brightly colored jacket — but no headscarf.

Under the kingdom's strict dress code for women, Saudi females are required to wear a headscarf and loose, black robes in public. Most women in Saudi Arabia cover their hair and face with a veil known as the niqab. But covering one's head is not required for foreigners, and some Western women choose to forego the headscarf while in Saudi Arabia.

As a delegation of dozens of Saudi officials — all men — greeted the Obamas in Riyadh, some shook hands with Mrs. Obama. Others avoided a handshake but acknowledged the first lady with a nod as they passed by.

Saudi Arabia imposes many restrictions on women on the strict interpretation of Islamic Shariah (shah-REE'-yuh) law known as Wahhabism. Genders are strictly segregated. Women are banned from driving, although there have been campaigns in recent years to lift that ban. Guardianship laws also require women to get permission from a male relative to travel, get married, enroll in higher education or undergo certain surgical procedures.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-28

i look forward to the days that ISIS or whomever, will invade Saudi and kill all those rich pricks whom get all the riches of the oil for themselves

All the rich pricks are the ones that are funding most of the new mosques/muslim extremists/training camps etc, they all want sharia law implemented across the world just like they have in saudi and unfortunately they have endless funds to accomplish their goals.

Edited by mick01827

i look forward to the days that ISIS or whomever, will invade Saudi and kill all those rich pricks whom get all the riches of the oil for themselves

All the rich pricks are the ones that are funding most of the new mosques/muslim extremists/training camps etc, they all want sharia law implemented across the world just like they have in saudi and unfortunately they have endless funds to accomplish their goals.

And the POPE is the King of the Philippines and all of Mexico, Central and South America + plus Europe and north America. Give us a break!wai.gif

And the POPE is the King of the Philippines and all of Mexico, Central and South America + plus Europe and north America. Give us a break!wai.gif
open your eyes and don't be so niaive.

I presume you think it's ok to behead people, stone women to death, hang and kill people all done to uphold sharia law!

Unfortunately it's people like yourself along with many others in this world who have got their heads buried in the sand and don't want to face up to what is happening right now in the world.

Edited by mick01827
  • Like 1

open your eyes and don't be so niaive.

I presume you think it's ok to behead people, stone women to death, hang and kill people all done to uphold sharia law!

Unfortunately it's people like yourself along with many others in this world who have got their heads buried in the sand and don't want to face up to what is happening right now in the world.

Since this thread is about Michelle Obama and her difficulties in dealing with Saudi customs, what do stonings, beheadings and hangings have to do with it?

Is she in some sort of danger that only you seem to know about?

Just for the record, there have literally been hundreds of thousands of non-Muslim women that have traveled to and through Saudi and so far not one of them has been stoned to death.

Michelle was only there four hours so I don't see how Sharia could have possibly proven to be a problem for her.

• Like 2

The Saudis operate under the auspices of Wahhabism. It is one of the most extreme "religious" interpretations in the world, and has led to countless problems and conflicts. There is no doubt, that if the Saudis did not have the amount of oil they have, and if they did not have the kinds of business arrangements with foreign oil companies, and their current level of investment in the US economy, they would be enemy number 1. They are far more heinous than Pakistan. The Saudi Royal family are very dangerous people, in my opinion. Even though King Abdullah was considered a reformer, that very term has a very strange definition in that 11th century country. The lack of women's rights are astonishing. How insecure does a man have to be to make his woman cover herself up from head to foot? How sick minded, and weak does that same man have to be to forbid her from traveling outside of the house, unless she is accompanied by a man? How tiny a heart does one have to have, to engage in such silly practices? Oh my God, if someone sees my womans face, they are going to want to have sex with her. I cannot trust her to say no. What is that?

It is my opinion that the Saudi Royal family has continued to support terrorists around the world, who are trained as Wahhabi super freaks, and want to instill their brand of terror on the world. It just many come back to haunt them.

While the US should be investigating these possibilities, since they are Ally #1, in the region, that does not appear to be likely within the near future, even though 19 out of 22 of the 9/11 murderous freaks were Saudi.

Have you ever lived there Mike?

• Like 1

I wonder whether the prohibition on women driving applies to golf carts? wink.png

Having some experience in this area, let me assure the public that women can drive golf carts...on the golf courses.

There is no law in Saudi that says women cannot drive. The law states only licensed drivers may drive in Saudi Arabia and then goes on to say only men can be issued licenses.

No licenses are required to operate a golf cart on privately owned golf courses.

Driving the golf cart during my many rounds in Riyadh was one thing my wife always enjoyed doing.

As well as shopping at one of the many shopping malls located around the nation.

• Like 2

I wonder whether the prohibition on women driving applies to golf carts? wink.png

Having some experience in this area, let me assure the public that women can drive golf carts...on the golf courses.

There is no law in Saudi that says women cannot drive. The law states only licensed drivers may drive in Saudi Arabia and then goes on to say only men can be issued licenses.

No licenses are required to operate a golf cart on privately owned golf courses.

Driving the golf cart during my many rounds in Riyadh was one thing my wife always enjoyed doing.

As well as shopping at one of the many shopping malls located around the nation.

A golf course in the desert?? Surely a mirage... :)

I bet those sand traps were bitches!

T

The Saudis operate under the auspices of Wahhabism. It is one of the most extreme "religious" interpretations in the world, and has led to countless problems and conflicts. There is no doubt, that if the Saudis did not have the amount of oil they have, and if they did not have the kinds of business arrangements with foreign oil companies, and their current level of investment in the US economy, they would be enemy number 1. They are far more heinous than Pakistan. The Saudi Royal family are very dangerous people, in my opinion. Even though King Abdullah was considered a reformer, that very term has a very strange definition in that 11th century country. The lack of women's rights are astonishing. How insecure does a man have to be to make his woman cover herself up from head to foot? How sick minded, and weak does that same man have to be to forbid her from traveling outside of the house, unless she is accompanied by a man? How tiny a heart does one have to have, to engage in such silly practices? Oh my God, if someone sees my womans face, they are going to want to have sex with her. I cannot trust her to say no. What is that?

It is my opinion that the Saudi Royal family has continued to support terrorists around the world, who are trained as Wahhabi super freaks, and want to instill their brand of terror on the world. It just many come back to haunt them.

While the US should be investigating these possibilities, since they are Ally #1, in the region, that does not appear to be likely within the near future, even though 19 out of 22 of the 9/11 murderous freaks were Saudi.

Nope. And I truly and sincerely hope I never have to. I do consider it to be one of the world's most forsaken places. Do you have some light you can shed on this apparently dark and desolate country?

Women are banned from driving

As they should be. Do you want someone that has their eyes covered with TWO layers of cloth driving a car on the same road as yourself?

BTW, it is not just the men making the women cover, some of them choose to be covered, plus wear gloves so not an inch of skin can be seen.

I have. Four years of hell ( like almost every other infidel guest worker, I only stayed for the money. It has to be good to make anyone stay ).

I don't see anything in Mike's post I disagree with.

• Like 1

They don't do it to uphold sharia law.

They do it to subjugate and control the people that sooner or later will wake up and realise that their nations wealth is being pissed away by a bunch of thieving, entitled lardarses.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

Nope. And I truly and sincerely hope I never have to. I do consider it to be one of the world's most forsaken places. Do you have some light you can shed on this apparently dark and desolate country?

I spent over 30 years there but why should I enlighten somebody that has such strong feelings about the country and its citizens.

Waste of my time and yours.

• Like 1

I spent over 30 years there but why should I enlighten somebody that has such strong feelings about the country and its citizens.

Waste of my time and yours.

I cannot compel you to do so, but I would love to hear arguments to the contrary, from someone with your experiences.

Disrespectful to the culture she was a guest in , but that is pretty much an Obama trademark anyway. I wonder if he was chewing gum at the same time.

Edited by rotary

Disrespect the Saudis? Think about what moslems say when they pray and you'll get an inkling of how much they respect non-moslems - five times a day they thank Allah they're not Christians or Jews ...

Edited by dundas
  • Like 1