generator to power franklin water pump.

hank69

hi, I have a 1.5 hp submersible water pump (franklin) and want to buy a generator to power it when the electric goes off. I will be looking for a 3.5kw or slightly larger generator to run this. my question is how do I connect the pump to the generator, just take the cable out of the fuse box and put a plug on it then plug straight into the generator? would I need some sort of breaker between the devices to protect the pump? say like a fused extension cable? I will be moving the generator between houses so would it also be ok to plug say fans or aircon units in this way also. ie straight into generator with a plug? sorry if my question is stupid bit I do not have a clue..........

If the pump is all you're worried about, a 2KVA generator would be sufficient and a lot easier on the pocket book. You will want some way of just plugging into the genset though (versus disconnecting from the breaker). To do that properly, you will need a DPDT switch so that it is only possible for the pump to receive power from one OR the other. You don't need to fuse the cord to the pump. You can plug as much as you want into the genset as long as the combined usage doesn't exceed rating - in which case the circuit breaker on the genset will trip.

Are you looking to just supply the pump via the genset?

the pump would work from the mains electric say for 8 months of the year, then when the electric is on-off I would want the generator as backup, also when not working the pump I plan to take it to the main house and use it for say fans and maybe aircon if possible, but really its just for the pump as we need access to water at all times.