I Washed My Passport

This question ought to wake some of the old farts who know that they know it all - I'm here for almost 2 months now on a non-immigrant O visa from the USA. In that space of time, I've gotten legally married, got my wife pregnant, have a house in Pattaya and over 400,000 baht that was wired into the account.

I'm getting ready to do the 1 year extension for the sole reason of supporting a thai/married to a thai.

I washed my passport last month. I ordered a new one and it arrived at the US Embassy - they are holding it for me. Should I use the old washed visa since all the numbers match - marriage certificate - etc .. or does it not matter? Should I get the new passport - have all my current visa's transferred to the new one?

Will that confuse the crap out of Pattaya's Immigration?

Everything is still legible, it just looks like a pair of stone washed denim jeans.

PP

"I'm here for almost 2 months now on a non-immigrant O visa from the USA. In that space of time, I've gotten legally married, got my wife pregnant, have a house in Pattaya..."

It's too late for us to help you.

hmmm, what a wonderfull help you've provided that guy ! although I doubt it very much that he's expected such your "help" !

:o seems like TV upholds its style ! :D a lot of ppl doing rather "smarta$$ness' than actual help. I mean - if you have nothing usefull to say - why not just keep quite ?

or perhaps I'm wrong and OP is rather glad to receive such a comment - huh, pistonpilot ?

Your 'clean' passport is now invalid as a new one has been issued (they usually cut the corner off the old one).

Take both your passports along with the letter you should have got from the embassy (with your new passport) down to immigration and have the stamps transferred (apparently they don't transfer the actual visa so you need to carry your old PP until the visa expires).

Provided you have both passports immigration will not get confused, your new PP will have an entry on the 'notes' page referring to the old PP number as 'destroyed'.

This question ought to wake some of the old farts who know that they know it all...

I washed my passport last month. I ordered a new one and it arrived at the US Embassy - they are holding it for me. Should I use the old washed visa since all the numbers match - marriage certificate - etc ..

Young fart from Philadelphia, does your marriage certificate really show your passport number? Mine doesn’t.

--------------

Maestro

Your 'clean' passport is now invalid as a new one has been issued (they usually cut the corner off the old one).

Take both your passports along with the letter you should have got from the embassy (with your new passport) down to immigration and have the stamps transferred (apparently they don't transfer the actual visa so you need to carry your old PP until the visa expires).

Provided you have both passports immigration will not get confused, your new PP will have an entry on the 'notes' page referring to the old PP number as 'destroyed'.

Incorrect. The new passport is not activated until I present the old one to the US Embassy. The Embassy is holding it for me until I am ready to activate it.

This question ought to wake some of the old farts who know that they know it all...

I washed my passport last month. I ordered a new one and it arrived at the US Embassy - they are holding it for me. Should I use the old washed visa since all the numbers match - marriage certificate - etc ..

Young fart from Philadelphia, does your marriage certificate really show your passport number? Mine doesn’t.

--------------

Maestro

It does not, but the underlying documentation for the marriage certification surely does. I have no idea how in depth they get. What I'm trying to avoid, is any red flags.

When I go through a magnetometer in the USA, I take everything out of my pockets, and put it in my carry on luggage. Set off the alarm and you have some foul breath ###### rummaging through your things asking you stupid questions.

I'll avoid that here if I can.

"I'm here for almost 2 months now on a non-immigrant O visa from the USA. In that space of time, I've gotten legally married, got my wife pregnant, have a house in Pattaya..."

It's too late for us to help you.

hmmm, what a wonderfull help you've provided that guy ! although I doubt it very much that he's expected such your "help" !

:o seems like TV upholds its style ! :D a lot of ppl doing rather "smarta$$ness' than actual help. I mean - if you have nothing usefull to say - why not just keep quite ?

or perhaps I'm wrong and OP is rather glad to receive such a comment - huh, pistonpilot ?

I understood his humour. It was fine. I appreciate dry quick-witted humor.

I just read through that thread. My passport while washed is still legible. I carefully dried the exit card and while the ink is faded, the stamp and date are legible without the use of a magnifying glass.

I'll take a trip down to Pattaya Immigration - show it to them and ask them if they can use it or not.

Incorrect. The new passport is not activated until I present the old one to the US Embassy. The Embassy is holding it for me until I am ready to activate it.

Sorry, I missread your original post, I assumed that you already had possession of your new passport (I know I'd collect mine as soon as the embassy told me it was ready) :o

I'd still go with the new one though, you should be able to do the stamp transfer and initiate your extension with a single visit to immigration.

Additionally, a marriage extension can take several months to get finalised (particularly a first extension), will the embassy hold your new passport that long?

Sorry, I missread your original post, I assumed that you already had possession of your new passport (I know I'd collect mine as soon as the embassy told me it was ready) :o

I'd still go with the new one though, you should be able to do the stamp transfer and initiate your extension with a single visit to immigration.

Additionally, a marriage extension can take several months to get finalised (particularly a first extension), will the embassy hold your new passport that long?

The embassy will hold the fresh passport until I come to get it. I have already had that confirmed through several emails to ACS at the embassy.

Why does it take several months? And another question - my visa runs out Sept 28 - when should I start the 1 yr extension process? I was told 2 weeks prior to the visa expiring.

1 more question - can I get an extension to an O visa the same as I did to my 60 tourist visa from last trip. They gave me 30 days more.

Will I even need to do that? If I start the process, does that put my expiration date on hold while immigration does their work?

Why does it take several months? Because it does :o On application you'll get a 30 day "under consideration" stamp, you may get a visit from the police during this period, when you return at the end of 30 days, you may get your extension or another 30 day stamp, there is a current thread running whith an OP on his 4th 'under consideration' :D

And another question - my visa runs out Sept 28 - when should I start the 1 yr extension process? I was told 2 weeks prior to the visa expiring. You need to start the process within the last 30 days of a permit to stay.

1 more question - can I get an extension to an O visa the same as I did to my 60 tourist visa from last trip. They gave me 30 days more. No, not normally.

Will I even need to do that? If I start the process, does that put my expiration date on hold while immigration does their work? See above, once you start the process you'll be fine.

Why does it take several months? Because it does :o On application you'll get a 30 day "under consideration" stamp, you may get a visit from the police during this period, when you return at the end of 30 days, you may get your extension or another 30 day stamp, there is a current thread running whith an OP on his 4th 'under consideration' :D

And another question - my visa runs out Sept 28 - when should I start the 1 yr extension process? I was told 2 weeks prior to the visa expiring. You need to start the process within the last 30 days of a permit to stay.

1 more question - can I get an extension to an O visa the same as I did to my 60 tourist visa from last trip. They gave me 30 days more. No, not normally.

Will I even need to do that? If I start the process, does that put my expiration date on hold while immigration does their work? See above, once you start the process you'll be fine.

Would someone be so kind as to explain the visit from the boys in brown - what do they want to see, or what are they looking for?

Would someone be so kind as to explain the visit from the boys in brown - what do they want to see, or what are they looking for?

They want to see that you are living as a couple, piccies of you together should be on display. They may talk to the neighbours as well.

Please note: Not everyone gets a visit.

1. Once extension process started you will receive 30 day stamps until it is complete so no need to worry about that.

2. You should take photos together for file on first visit. They are required to confirm that you live together as husband and wife and that will help.

3. Passport number is on some marriage certificates - mine is the blue type and it is on the backside, along with the issue and expiration date.

They want to see that you are living as a couple, piccies of you together should be on display. They may talk to the neighbours as well.

Please note: Not everyone gets a visit.

We're pregnant - I imagine you can't get more together than that.

Whatever you do, don't take a pen and try to "darken" anything that Thai immigration put in there. You read about the European Royalty dude in the news thread?

:o

kenk3z

I read about him. My repairs only consisted of drying it flat and giving the whole thing a pass with a warm iron to flatten it. All stamps and writing are not as crisp as they once were, but are uniformly lightened by the wash.

[/color]

You dont have to wait till then all the time, I as some others applied for ours outside the 30 days, they told me i could come anytime to do it dont need to wait, but some have been told toher things, usual thai stuff go and try anyway if your ready.

I went to see about my 1 year extension today and got a "still under consideration" stamp, no visit from bib yet so hopefully next month

When i applied for the initial non im o, they even gave me free 45 days extra, so nothing is at it seems

When i applied for the initial non im o, they even gave me free 45 days extra, so nothing is at it seems
A non-O visa is applied for at a Thai consulate. What are those free 45 days extra given to you by the consulate?

--------------

Maestro

Support Thai wife extension they normally seem to want only during the last 30 days of an entry. For retirement they seem to be happy to do it at any time from reports.

The temporary under consideration is normally 30 days upcountry and usually 40-45 days in Bangkok (Bangkok seems to be timed to the current turn around time so can vary).

A non-O visa is applied for at a Thai consulate. What are those free 45 days extra given to you by the consulate?

--------------

Maestro

A non o visa can also be applied for in bangkok as I and others have done, you can convert a tourist visa into a non imm o visa, just need to do the same paper work as when you apply for a 1 year extension and have the money in the bank or the income at time of application for conversion.

Support Thai wife extension they normally seem to want only during the last 30 days of an entry. For retirement they seem to be happy to do it at any time from reports.

I did mine as support thai wife and outside the 30 days as some others here had posted and suggested to try as theirs had gone through outside days., So normally may be 30 days but i spoke to a few higher up officers in 2 departments and said dont worry, maybe if they are busy or new they stick to the rules more.

You also, from above post, did not enter the country with a non immigrant O visa either. I believe when they issue the visa here as a conversion they are also a little more open to early application (as you have proved you are ready).

For those using this method you must have a valid (Consulate issued) type visa with at least 21 days remaining on the entry when you visit immigration. There is an extra 2,000 baht fee involved.

You also, from above post, did not enter the country with a non immigrant O visa either. I believe when they issue the visa here as a conversion they are also a little more open to early application (as you have proved you are ready).

They never saw that it was a conversion until after they said they its ok to apply now, others here have done it with Consulate issued Non O as well. as i said it depends on the officer.

For those using this method you must have a valid (Consulate issued) type visa with at least 21 days remaining on the entry when you visit immigration. There is an extra 2,000 baht fee involved.

Not really clear on what you mean here about methods for Consulate issued, are you refering to my post or the OP's post?

2000baht extra? on top of the 1900 baht application fee for 1 year extension? The immigration web site makes no mention of any difference for 1 year extension for a "consultate issued" or "conversion issued" visa when application time comes along.

The Immigration site does mention the 2,000 fee for conversion (it is a two step process) so did not want readers to think they could obtain cheaper by getting a tourist visa rather than the normal non immigrant visa (which costs a little more):

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Copy to passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

I am saying that you can not convert the quite normal 30 day entry without visa (which many people call a 30 day visa). It must be a real visa to do the conversion process.

You did not say otherwise but just wanted to make sure readers understood what could and could not be converted.

The Immigration site does mention the 2,000 fee for conversion:
Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Copy to passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

I am saying that you can not convert the quite normal 30 day entry without visa (which many people call a 30 day visa). It must be a real visa to do the conversion process.

You did not say otherwise but just wanted to make sure readers understood what could and could not be converted.

Thanks for clarifying it, it may have been better read as below, others may read as I did and take it to mean different to its actual meaning. 2000baht was also a lot cheaper than leaving the country to go to Penang and get the non imm o there, also a lot less time involved, this is the case as i was already in the country, for people who have the ability to apply in their own country then thats the best option.

For those using this method you must have a valid (Consulate issued) type 60 day Tourist visa with at least 21 days remaining on the entry when you visit immigration. There is an extra 2,000 baht fee involved.