Hits and misses, your bike on the ground

Rhys

Well, perhaps not a nice topic, but one we all have felt in some way.. In Thailand what types of motorcycle accident have you been involved in?

(HIT and RUN.... Then caught...) Two years ago, I was making a right turn on a two way street, (Blinker on) and I was rear ended, flew over the handle bars into the other side of the street. Luckily no cars.. Apparently, I was unconscious, because the next thing I remembered was someone taking off my helmet... I looked dazed but this kind Thai man had called the Motor-racer ambulance trucks.. you know the ones.. They carted me off to the hospital.. and of course, it was the farang hospital and they went APE S. over the preventative test, CT Scans.. well ok.. but ..not necessary. Of course, I was more worried about by my bike and it was totaled.. bent handle bars, bend rear wheel, back stays bent, gas tank bent..

However the truly remarkable upshot was there were three witnesses and they got a description of the car, the license plate...Saw to the lawyer..and the police...and do you know.. they got the driver..in 3 days... naturally, no licenses, a history of drunk driving.. Insurance settled it..

HIT and RUN...thumbsup.gif I seem to recall out of my eye the car stopping a head popping the tearing away...

It took almost 3 months to ride again..

Luckily all my incidents in the Kingdom thus far have been single vehicle (meaning a result of my poor decisions). Although last Nakhon Sawan -> BKK trip in the span of 2 km I discovered just how well my ABS works as 2 different vehicles tried to sideswipe me.

Three 0 kph falls - didn't realise that after 30 years, front brakes had come a long way.

One 10 kph fall - on the way to Phu Tarp Boek hill - wet mud on road and Pirelli Angels don't mix well.

A few slides and drifts on curvy roads that has had latex / diesel laid down by trucks. Fun if you're expecting it and know what to do. Not so fun when your pillion is screaming in your ear whilst you are struggling to keep upright.

All the above are single vehicle incidents. Speed was seldom an issue - sure, one can argue that if travelling slower, slides and drifts won't occur but if so, why bother riding a big bike?

Ultimately, most of the danger comes from other road users / hazards. Experience counts for everything. One can go round a corner in Bira with the throttle fully opened - it would be folly to do the same on a blind corner on Thai roads.

Hmmm, let's see if I can remember them all...

First spill on Phayathai turning into Rama 4 - cement trucks exiting a worksite not hosed down at night. Front end departed at pace, lifted my girlfriends leg up and we hit the mud and slid some distance along with the bike (Yamaha Special 650) Bent bars and muddy clothes. Two other bikes had gone down just before us and were trying to wave us off - failed to understand their gestures... Told us after we were lucky it was muddy or we'd be cut up on the road... not sure they saw the irony in that.. anyhow :) Went home, changed clothes, came back out a different route, bent bars and all...

Had the front wheel of the Yamaha knocked out from under me by a scooter rider in traffic - he cut me up near Makasan in light rain. Greasy road and being on the paint at the time contributed to my failure to correct it. Ruined a pair of $400 Frattelli Rossetti shoes and was late for a seminar. Gear peg too bent to repair there and then, so had to leave it and get a bike taxi...

Rolled off at low speed a few times on my first off-road adventure on my mini-GS. Missed a turn and went down an embankment on the same trip, had to cut the undergrowth away with a pocket knife which took a while. Now I carry a kukri I've sharpened well enough to shave with...

Last, but by no means least, I was riding off road in Ratchaburi on a course taught by Simon Pavey when I did exactly what he said not to do and drove straight into a hole at the side of the track, stopped instantly from 40, rolled into the track and was almost run over by the support vehicle (I was tail end charley because Pavey said "You seem sensible, why don't you mop up stragglers." Broke my wrist and nose and was driven to Suan Phueng 'anamai'

On a serious note, the x-ray at Suan Phueng showed a single clean break at the wrist. Pavey told me he road Dakar with an almost identical break in an open cast... The day after I took my x-ray, myself and my open cast to BNH to get a second opinion. 13 fractures, 7 weeks in a full cast and a rather painful resetting procedure that made me dig deep for suitable vocabulary... Don't trust up country medical equipment unless you can tell it is modern. I can't blame the Dr. in Suan Phueng, the Dr. in BNH agreed with the interpretation of the original film, just the machine was ancient...

Happy riding gents.

• Like 2

I've always 'known' that a dog or a scooter exiting a market would be my demise... I ride slowly through markets when there are open, but dogs are everywhere...

I have no idea if my not insubstantial GS plus my weight would plough through an average Thai dog, but I don't want to find out...

About 13 years ago I hit a dog that ran out in front of me while I was ridng my Wave- I was road-rashed pretty badly on my knees- the dog left the scene of the accident before I regained my senses (so I assume he made out OK)- I doubt the little bastard had insurance anyway.

3 major accidents and some skirmishes on my old cbr150r. nothing apart some bruises and snapped rearsets and cracked fairings as all of them happened under 60 kph and when the road is wet under rain. front end was not superb on cbr150r and one happened due to the very old front tire and bad fork springs as they could not hold the road.

after cbr150r, did not make any accident on my cbr250, cbr500 and cbr650f. god bless! i can definitely say big bikes are safer than small ones and ABS is a major life saver.

Edited by ll2

Not Thailand and not me riding but I remember being pillion on my Dads Silverwing. We hit a puppy and the whole bike went airborne but the puppy survived ?

Touch wood no falls in Thailand yet, 6 years on the Wave and 6 months with the CB500F...

Edited by cornishcarlos

First spill on Phayathai turning into Rama 4 - cement trucks exiting a worksite not hosed down at night. Front end departed at pace, lifted my girlfriends leg up and we hit the mud and slid some distance along with the bike (Yamaha Special 650) Bent bars and muddy clothes. Two other bikes had gone down just before us and were trying to wave us off - failed to understand their gestures... Told us after we were lucky it was muddy or we'd be cut up on the road... not sure they saw the irony in that.. anyhow smile.png Went home, changed clothes, came back out a different route, bent bars and all...

Had the front wheel of the Yamaha knocked out from under me by a scooter rider in traffic - he cut me up near Makasan in light rain. Greasy road and being on the paint at the time contributed to my failure to correct it. Ruined a pair of $400 Frattelli Rossetti shoes and was late for a seminar. Gear peg too bent to repair there and then, so had to leave it and get a bike taxi...

Rolled off at low speed a few times on my first off-road adventure on my mini-GS. Missed a turn and went down an embankment on the same trip, had to cut the undergrowth away with a pocket knife which took a while. Now I carry a kukri I've sharpened well enough to shave with...

Last, but by no means least, I was riding off road in Ratchaburi on a course taught by Simon Pavey when I did exactly what he said not to do and drove straight into a hole at the side of the track, stopped instantly from 40, rolled into the track and was almost run over by the support vehicle (I was tail end charley because Pavey said "You seem sensible, why don't you mop up stragglers." Broke my wrist and nose and was driven to Suan Phueng 'anamai'

On a serious note, the x-ray at Suan Phueng showed a single clean break at the wrist. Pavey told me he road Dakar with an almost identical break in an open cast... The day after I took my x-ray, myself and my open cast to BNH to get a second opinion. 13 fractures, 7 weeks in a full cast and a rather painful resetting procedure that made me dig deep for suitable vocabulary... Don't trust up country medical equipment unless you can tell it is modern. I can't blame the Dr. in Suan Phueng, the Dr. in BNH agreed with the interpretation of the original film, just the machine was ancient...

Happy riding gents.

First spill on Phayathai turning into Rama 4 - cement trucks exiting a worksite not hosed down at night. Front end departed at pace, lifted my girlfriends leg up and we hit the mud and slid some distance along with the bike (Yamaha Special 650) Bent bars and muddy clothes. Two other bikes had gone down just before us and were trying to wave us off - failed to understand their gestures... Told us after we were lucky it was muddy or we'd be cut up on the road... not sure they saw the irony in that.. anyhow smile.png Went home, changed clothes, came back out a different route, bent bars and all...

Happy riding gents.

Oh, ahh - I think the x-ray machine was substandard, too. Feels like a broken foot. The swelling won't go away...

Bought the same brand shoes - crocodile leather. But wore sandals when I was hit by a speeding taxi van which was over taking, driving in the wrong lane.

Previously, a bastard without insurance caused an accident. Had a broken finger. The cops ignored the lack of insurance - and this time, the van left the scene of the accident. The bike was totalled and I'm hopping mad.post-7704-0-78526000-1422628111_thumb.jppost-7704-0-70309300-1422628132_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ryhs said "(HIT and RUN.... Then caught...) Two years ago, I was making a right turn on a two way street, (Blinker on) and I was rear ended, flew over the handle bars into the other side of the street. Luckily no cars.. Apparently, I was unconscious, because the next thing I remembered was someone taking off my helmet... I looked dazed but this kind Thai man had called the Motor-racer ambulance trucks.. you know the ones.. They carted me off to the hospital.. and of course, it was the farang hospital and they went APE S. over the preventative test, CT Scans.. well ok.. but ..not necessary. Of course, I was more worried about by my bike and it was totaled.. bent handle bars, bend rear wheel, back stays bent, gas tank bent.."

'because the next thing I remembered was someone taking off my helmet' which is the wrong thing to do! What if you were suffering from neck or head trauma? That's the problem here in LOS, so few people know first aid/emergency procedures which could lead to the victim having the injuries compounded.

• Like 2

But bound and determined to be on new CB500f by July, with a 4-7 day road trip in the works. Wife thinks I crazy, but she's not the first one to think that. whistling.gif

Hope your recovery goes well and you are riding soon.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm getting there, but, damn, recovery is slow sometimes. Stroke cost me the use of both legs and left arm. Took 2 months just to be able to stand upright alone again. But I'm determined, so I'll make it.

Stories like this are an inspiration to those who have minor problems not to give up the love of riding.

First crash

Second crash

attachicon.gif167jfpw.jpg

John,

I remember seeing this video quite a while ago but I can't figure out how you crashed the first time. Do you know?

Re: the second crash, that's Graham K. Was this in Bira or something?

Looks like front end broke loose when he got on the brakes too hard, then he hit the kerb which pitched him into the ditch.

Quite similar to what happened near Ban Rai with me and the Ninja 250...

It seems dogs cause a lot of bike accidents in Los

I rode over the top of one when it suddenly dashed in front of me then it decided to turn on me while I was lying on the ground ! A few choice words scared him off !

Luckily I've only ever came across one incident similar; a pack of pups was playing in the street and when I honked the one that won the Darwin's award ran over into my lane away from the others and I caught him with my peg and somehow back wheel. Felt pretty bad about it.

Last year I waited In line at a red light to make a right turn. Green came up and I was 4th to cross the intersection. BANG!! White van jumps the red light, creams me & my bike and of course drives away Into the dust leaving me In a heap In the middle of the road with broken arm etc etc..

To add insult to injury a police officer stood on the corner watching with great interest. Did he note the van number ..... NO. Did he try to help me off the floor .... NO.

Did he do anything other than smile ... NO !!

A truly Thai experience I shall never forget .

Stay safe out there, you just never know when "the White Van "is coming to get you..

In Ao Nang, going slow on my Harley, a little farang kid darted out in front of a parked tuk-tuk. I slammed on the front and rear brakes to avoid the kid. Fell over on my right side with my right foot still on the foot brake. The kid was not hit, then his mother came out to grab him; dumb c**t. My bike was not scratched, it landed on top of me. I thought I had knocked the wind out, I had had worse hits in gridiron and martial arts. However, later that night I could not sleep and went to a clinic for x-rays. They told me I had bruised ribs and prescribed painkillers, anti-inflamatories, and muscle relaxers. The next day, I took a cab back to my home and my son rode my bike back. I suffered sleepless nights and immobile days, but multitudes of painkillers made the days go by. One morning about three weeks later, I could not breathe. I went to the hospital, they x-rayed my chest and discovered I had five broken ribs and had a collapsed lung. I was rushed into surgery to drain five liters of blood and fluid from my right lung cavity. Further tests and x-rays showed I had several blood clots in and around the lung cavity. I was rushed back into surgery for a thoracic cleaning, four hours later with a lovely eleven inch scar where they separated my rib cage to cleanse the cavity of clots, I was back to my private room. Nine days from entry to discharge--the thoracic surgeon had estimated three weeks recovery--and I was back on my bike; albeit not for a long ride. I was 68 at the time. It wasn't my first accident, and it probably won't be my last.

• Like 2

I have ridden in some truly crazy places in my time - Albania, Dominican Republic - but here in Thailand I still marvel at the trick of me riding down the middle of the right lane at what I conisder a safe speed like maybe 110 k/h when a full size car will fly past me on my right using every inch of any berm. Some times it seems like I get only a few inches to spare. If they don't fly up behind me at high speed and I get a chance to see them coming or if they would just beep their horn, I would gladly move over.

Motorcycle safety isn't only about Thailand. On an Italian freeway south of Naples two smart ass guys in full leathers once flew past me on their motorcycles on both sides like I was standing still. That would not have been worth mentioning except that I was going at about 150 k/h myself on my 1100 cc BMW. Yikes!

Since most of my riding is on the Thai highways between cities I would really like to see real motorcycles, but maybe not scooters, be allowed to use toll roads. What can we do about that discrimination? Getting in and out of Bangkok (rt 9) would be so much easier if all roads were available to real motorcycles.