A sense of ownership.

sipi

AYJAYDEE. OK, so there are some mistakes in Costas's English, but he does well for a non English native speaker, and all his posts are easy to understand, you never seem to have anything decent to say about anyone.

then please explain to him that he's an alien would you?

AYJAYDEE. OK, so there are some mistakes in Costas's English, but he does well for a non English native speaker, and all his posts are easy to understand, you never seem to have anything decent to say about anyone.

I don't think Costas needs me to explain anything to him.

• Like 1

I don't think Costas needs me to explain anything to him.

so you didnt know it either? wow.

I find it hilarious that either one of you think you have any control of what happens in Oz!! lol

My condolences that you have never lived in a democracy.

You cannot equate the ruling systems of Thailand with western countries.

Thailand is not a democracy in the true sense as compared to the west. The country is not what I would describe as an absolute dictatorship ruled with an iron hand nor is it a democracy, but probably somewhere in-between.

But there are many of us here, including me, who prefer it this way.

I agree possum 1931.

I have no problem understanding Costa's English and value his input.

On the other hand, I understand AYJAYEE as well and tired of his negative input so much that I put him on ignore months ago.

I'm not going to put him on my ignore list Willy, it's only nasty people who end up there, he is always full of negativity, but I don't remember him being nasty.

• Like 1

Its always exciting to do something for the first time. The best way to celebrate her new acquired citizenship is probably by voting. Who did she vote for lol?

Indeed... who did she vote for? Tweedle Dum or Tweedle Dee?

Tweedle Dee.

Both the person she voted for got into parliament, as well as the party she voted for; both by a narrow margin.

Her vote counted..

smile.png

Thailand is not a democracy in the true sense as compared to the west. The country is not what I would describe as an absolute dictatorship ruled with an iron hand nor is it a democracy, but probably somewhere in-between.

Off topic now,

In what way is it a democracy in any sense of the word?

(The people don't have any say or vote in the government)

In what way is it not an absolute dictatorship?

(I only see one man handing out commands)

• Like 1

Off topic now,

In what way is it a democracy in any sense of the word?

(The people don't have any say or vote in the government)

In what way is it not an absolute dictatorship?

(I only see one man handing out commands)

At least we get to vote with our feet. The Thais are stuck here

SC

I find it hilarious that either one of you think you have any control of what happens in Oz!! lol

You cannot equate the ruling systems of Thailand with western countries.

Democracy in the West doesn't exist either. It's always the same group of political elite and families who control everything. Take David Cameron for example. Went to Eton and fails to connect with the common man. Obama won because the political elite in the US felt it was time for an African American to front their show. In a true democracy what are the chances of a Father and son both being elected president in their lives??(George Bush and his evil son who has the blood of millions on his hands)..

Interesting question. My partner and daughters all from within Red Isaan heartland, from within NZ have a strong mind on Thai politics. Back in Thailand while they still had their views, for fear of their personal safety they would never express them openly. Likewise they would dear not go near any politicial speeches or anywhere near any politicial office. The Political mafia families thugs and goons within heartland Isaan ensured they had no right of ownership. Here in NZ when they first arrived and began to learn about a open equal democracy they were amazed that mothers with no politicial background but the common sense and knowledge of running a home could win seats in parliament, be leading members of Cabinet portfolios and be party leaders. Now they take it for granted, voice their politicial opinions without fear, vote in all our elections and look at Thailand with disappointment. But also hope that the Junta will change things for the better.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

Democracy in the West doesn't exist either. It's always the same group of political elite and families who control everything. Take David Cameron for example. Went to Eton and fails to connect with the common man. Obama won because the political elite in the US felt it was time for an African American to front their show. In a true democracy what are the chances of a Father and son both being elected president in their lives??(George Bush and his evil son who has the blood of millions on his hands)..

Although I don't agree with your theory regarding President Obama, I do agree that democracy and true "free elections" in the west and the US is largely a myth. No one person without political affiliation can just become the President of the USA. If you don't belong to one of the two major political parties, you've got no chance. As for vote buying in Thailand, it's naive to think this doesn't happen in the US. During the last presidential election, the two parties spent in excess of $2 billion. The only difference is in Thailand, the voting public actually gets some of the money.

Edited by Berkshire

Although I don't agree with your theory regarding President Obama, I do agree that democracy and true "free elections" in the west and the US is largely a myth. No one person without political affiliation can just become the President of the USA. If you don't belong to one of the two major political parties, you've got no chance. As for vote buying in Thailand, it's naive to think this doesn't happen in the US. During the last presidential election, the two parties spent in excess of $2 billion. The only difference is in Thailand, the voting public actually gets some of the money.

Not sure about that,

I've had some great free food and booze at election barbeques and hog roasts in the US. I never asked who was paying for it.

Must have been worth as much as the votes purchased in Issan.

Its always exciting to do something for the first time. The best way to celebrate her new acquired citizenship is probably by voting. Who did she vote for lol?

Indeed... who did she vote for? Tweedle Dum or Tweedle Dee?

Tweedle Dee.

Both the person she voted for got into parliament, as well as the party she voted for; both by a narrow margin.

Her vote counted..

smile.png

Yes, her vote did count.

Tweedle Dee was elected and Tweedle Dum was rejected.

All's well.

• Like 1

neither have you pal

Very few people in the world have lived in a Democratic Country. Off the top of my head I can not think of one that is Democratic. How ever as the OP has pointed out she does have a sense of being a part of. I see nothing wrong with that. As for Farongs in Thailand they can take out a citizenship. A long and lucky thing but possible. I don't see as it would give them a sense of being a part of but It might.

I don't think under the previous governments here in Thailand people felt they were a part of unless they were demonstrating or killing people. Hopefully when the next election is held they will be able to feel a part of.

I do not see any thing happening today or tomorrow but I do see a future for Thailand being developed by the actions taking place today and tomorrow.

I think the average Farong who feels disenfranchised in Thailand feels that way because he can not own property. Voting is probably some thing most of them never did in their home country.

• Like 1

My wife is working on her US citizenship and also is very excited about being able to vote.

It is the whole "equality" thing. I'm sure she will feel proud.

I am happy she is feeling good about being a US citizen. Just don't mention the fact that the Supreme Court has the power to nullify her vote.

That is how Bush got in. The majority wanted and voted for Gore but the Supreme court awarded the job to Bush and the war's were on.