Patong is dead.

hansgruber

23 minutes ago, Flustered said:

My statements are my recollections.

I fail to see why a post on recollections should inflame so many FMs. All I can think is that they feel they have a right to be the only ones posting on TV. The title of the thread is "Patong is Dead" not "Let's attack anyone who disagrees with us and call their posts BS".

I have not criticised any member nor called their posts BS.  At all times I have been polite and  never personally insulted nor offended any member, only given my perspective on the thread yet the ones who have a different recollection seem to revel in confrontation.

It would appear that the only posts acceptable to some are those that are in agreement with their points of view. Sorry, I did not realise I had breached an unwritten rule of TV. I naively thought that FMs were entitled to their own point of view.

Speaks for itself why Patong is dead.

No.....your statement was factually incorrect. It's as simple as that. This shows that your "recollection" was wrong; wildly wrong.

I would surmise that you knowingly said that to emphasize your point, which is disingenuous at best and not really very smart when there are so many residents that post on the Phuket forum. I can't believe anyone could recollect only a hand-full of naughty bars when there were closer to a hundred.

Edited by KarenBravo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

No.....your statement was factually incorrect. It's as simple as that. This shows that your "recollection" was wrong; wildly wrong.

I would surmise that you knowingly said that to emphasize your point, which is disingenuous at best and not really very smart when there are so many residents that post on the Phuket forum. I can't believe anyone could recollect only a hand-full of naughty bars when there were closer to a hundred.

OK, I accept that I am not allowed to post anything on the Phuket thread that disagrees with you and your friends version of what Patong/Phuket is or was.. I can only post views that conform to your version of events.

Fair enough, now I know the rules.

2 hours ago, Flustered said:

OK, I accept that I am not allowed to post anything on the Phuket thread that disagrees with you and your friends version of what Patong/Phuket is or was.. I can only post views that conform to your version of events.

Fair enough, now I know the rules.

You can post whatever you want but when a couple long term residents have a very different memory of the place and the years in question then maybe you're just remember it incorrectly. But in the quoted last post from you, you are acting more like a bitter child. You can surely post how you remember Bangla at that time but people can point out that according to their recollection, you are factually wrong.

49 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You can post whatever you want but when a couple long term residents have a very different memory of the place and the years in question then maybe you're just remember it incorrectly. But in the quoted last post from you, you are acting more like a bitter child. You can surely post how you remember Bangla at that time but people can point out that according to their recollection, you are factually wrong.

My opinion and I still say that it is not necessary to revert to insults and terms like BS just because someone has a different recollection.

As I said, it seems that a group of you do not like anyone to have an opinion different to yours. I am not the first FM who is targeted for different opinions on the Phuket forum and I will not be the last and I will not be bullied into accepting a view I do not recognise.

To pick up on the Tsunami theme...  I was speaking with a late middle aged Thai man the other day.  He had recently sold up in Phuket and relocated.  He told me that the day after the Tsunami, hundreds of people from Nakon Sri Thamarat arrived in Patong, not to help with the clean up, but to rat through the ruins in search of gold that was washed out of the hiding spots in local resident's houses.

Anyone heard this story before?

29 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

To pick up on the Tsunami theme...  I was speaking with a late middle aged Thai man the other day.  He had recently sold up in Phuket and relocated.  He told me that the day after the Tsunami, hundreds of people from Nakon Sri Thamarat arrived in Patong, not to help with the clean up, but to rat through the ruins in search of gold that was washed out of the hiding spots in local resident's houses.

Anyone heard this story before?

Yes- on Thaigeezer so it must be true!

Reminds me of that other character who got it so obviously wrong when he insisted a vehicle was in the wrong lane in an accident. The video evidence comprehensively disproved his version, yet he went on the attack against the people who pointed out his error.

A simple, I may have got it wrong, was all that was required to restore credibility.

Bangla Rd goes through 3 phases every day and they are totally different

6am on a morning walk,

you'll see the few remaining drunks, unlucky girls and all the rubbish in the streets. Looks like a morgue once the bottle trucks go, most of the bar fronts covered, looks like a seedy back street but always interesting.

2pm in the afternoon,

boring tourist trinket selling stalls, family groups blocking the way, vehicles on the road, just horrible.

11pm at night

Starting to come alive, bars open, appalling level of sound, lovely girls everywhere, road closed and the whole street fill of people out to have a good time, fighting their way through the Ping Pong touts that block the street and thrust sex show cards into everyone's face

Neon lights and red light district in full blast

23 hours ago, Flustered said:

My opinion and I still say that it is not necessary to revert to insults and terms like BS just because someone has a different recollection.

As I said, it seems that a group of you do not like anyone to have an opinion different to yours. I am not the first FM who is targeted for different opinions on the Phuket forum and I will not be the last and I will not be bullied into accepting a view I do not recognise.

All it's got to do with is the fact that your recollection is unfortunately wrong, whatever your opinion may be the actual fact is there were loads of girly bars and GGBs, how could you have walked down Bangla and mistaken them for tea shops?

As you probably won't recall either, the girls were a hell of alot more physical when it came to trying to get the punters into the bars back then, was nigh on impossible to not get groped. 

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Reminds me of that other character who got it so obviously wrong when he insisted a vehicle was in the wrong lane in an accident. The video evidence comprehensively disproved his version, yet he went on the attack against the people who pointed out his error.

A simple, I may have got it wrong, was all that was required to restore credibility.

Bang on, exactly the same..beggars belief doesn't it.

In the old days when the us sailors regularly were on shore on Phuket, Bangla was always round the clock for 3-4 days the opposite of bliss.

It was like sitting in a rollercoast in a giant a gogo bar. Bangla road was one gogo.

Compared with these days today Patong is a kindergarden and family resort.

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

lol at teashops on bangla hahahahaha

i was there many times before the tsunami and it was just as rowdy as it is now if not more so.

good times!

I think the police call all of these bars "tea shops".  

NKM and myself correctly predicted a rise in crime and violence in the wake of growing unemployment in Phuket.

Something that I did not foresee was and increase in attempted suicides.

Suicide was on the rise a while back in the farming provinces due to rock bottom rice prices and debt saturation.

But now it would seem to be on the rise in Phuket?

The video below is one of four similar incidents I have seen in the local news just this month.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

1 hour ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

NKM and myself correctly predicted a rise in crime and violence in the wake of growing unemployment in Phuket.

Something that I did not foresee was and increase in attempted suicides.

Suicide was on the rise a while back in the farming provinces due to rock bottom rice prices and debt saturation.

But now it would seem to be on the rise in Phuket?

The video below is one of four similar incidents I have seen in the local news just this month.

Whilst some members on this forum might find humor in the financial distress and suicide of others, I do not.

Thailand has one of the highest household debts in the world.  I doubt Thailand's position has changed much since this graph from 2014, and if anything, it's probably got worse.

http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/household_debt_gdp/

I predicted, what I called, "The Phuket Financial Crisis" and I stand by that prediction.  I believe the Phuket economy has, and will continue to contract.  I expect to see even more "For Sale" signs than we are currently seeing.  A lot of those vacant properties and businesses no long have people injecting money into the local economy.

Unemployment will increase, so will drug use, and these will see a further rise in crime, particularly property theft.

Phuket's infrastructure is simply not able to cope with the huge numbers of Chinese tourists that would be needed to inject the same amount of money that the western tourist market did here in the past. 

Here's a random article about the suicide rate during the GFC.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2014/06/12/more-than-10000-suicides-tied-to-economic-crisis-study-says/#5b868ad77ae2

Edited by NamKangMan

1 hour ago, phuketjock said:

The Bulldozer Dawn and NKM crimewatch team Phuket      :cheesy:      :clap2:.

Motorbikes in the underpass and public transport experts.

Phukets finest.

"crimewatch" - "public transport experts." - which have absolutely NO effect on anyone living here.  Right???  :cheesy:

Edited by NamKangMan

20 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Whilst some members on this forum might find humor in the financial distress and suicide of others, I do not.

Thailand has one of the highest household debts in the world.  I doubt Thailand's position has changed much since this graph from 2014, and if anything, it's probably got worse.

http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/household_debt_gdp/

I predicted, what I called, "The Phuket Financial Crisis" and I stand by that prediction.  I believe the Phuket economy has, and will continue to contract.  I expect to see even more "For Sale" signs than we are currently seeing.  A lot of those vacant properties and businesses no long have people injecting money into the local economy.

Unemployment will increase, so will drug use, and these will see a further rise in crime, particularly property theft.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism.asp

The above link appears to blow your shrinking Phuket economy right out of the water.

Tourist numbers have doubled from 2010 to 2016 and are still rising, doesn't sound like a contraction to me??

Despite what you "believe " these are the facts, and your predictions are nonsense.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

35 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism.asp

The above link appears to blow your shrinking Phuket economy right out of the water.

Tourist numbers have doubled from 2010 to 2016 and are still rising, doesn't sound like a contraction to me??

Oh dear.

How many times does it have to be explained????

I'll make it simple for you. 

You have ten Chinese tourists spending 200 baht a day each.  (not including accommodation)  (10 X 200 = 2000 baht)

You have one European tourist spending 4000 baht a day. (not including accommodation)

Which tourist/s has injected more money into the Phuket economy?

I am sure you have heard the term, "zero baht tourists."  

Basically, they are called "zero baht tourists" because there's no money in catering for them, and you somehow think the Chinese are going to save Phuket's tourism industry. 

Also, the Thai Military / Government has cracked down on this tourist demographic.  Here's a random article.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-tourism-goldenweek-thailand-idUSKCN1270Q3

"Normally, we would have 100,000 during this period," Ronnarong said, adding that 30 to 40 travel operators have gone out of business because of the crackdown."

"Chinese travel agents are not recommending Thailand because it suddenly became more expensive. It is easier for them to sell cheap package tours to South Korea or Vietnam," Ruengdet told Reuters.

Go figure. 

Edited by NamKangMan

2 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Basically, they are called "zero baht tourists" because there's no money in catering for them, and you somehow think the Chinese are going to save Phuket's tourism industry. 

Anyone who cannot see the logic in this must be sitting in a bar with their head in the glass.

The Chinese "all inclusive" zero baht buses are destroying the Thai tourist economy. Why should they even spend 1 satang when they have paid for their tour in China and have no need of spending anything in Thailand.

When was the last time you saw a Chinese tourist bus stopping at places like the Phuket Souvenir Market or any of the larger restaurants that can cater for bus loads of tourists?

10 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Oh dear.

How any times does it have to be explained????

You have ten Chinese tourists spending 200 baht a day each.  (not including accommodation)  (10 X 200 = 2000 baht)

You have one European tourist spending 4000 baht a day. (not including accommodation)

Also, the Thai Military / Government has cracked down on this tourist demographic.  Here's a random article.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-tourism-goldenweek-thailand-idUSKCN1270Q3

"Normally, we would have 100,000 during this period," Ronnarong said, adding that 30 to 40 travel operators have gone out of business because of the crackdown."

"Chinese travel agents are not recommending Thailand because it suddenly became more expensive. It is easier for them to sell cheap package tours to South Korea or Vietnam," Ruengdet told Reuters.

Go figure. 

So the doubling of numbers from 2010 to 2016 is all down to chinese visitors then yeah right...................

I think your logic may be flawed????

16 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Oh dear.

How any times does it have to be explained????

Go figure. 

NKM the other thing that you better spell out of PhuketJock is that the traditional business models in Phuket...small restaurants, bars, beach vendors, massage shops,etc... saw the profits distributed to workaday Thais.  The only ones profiting from the Chinese are the Sino-Thais who own the bus companies and hotels.

I don't recall seeing many rich Sino-Thais commiting suicide.

15 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

So the doubling of numbers from 2010 to 2016 is all down to chinese visitors then yeah right...................

I think your logic may be flawed????

The numbers can triple, or even quadruple.

What's the point if they do not spend money here????  Eg.  they are not going to go to the markets and buy a fake Billabong T-Shirt for 200 baht when they can buy it cheaper in China.  Same with massages, they are not going to pay 300 baht for a 1 hour massage when labor is cheaper in China. 

So, we now seeing market stall clothes sellers that can't sell a T-Shirt masseuses who are not doing as many massages a day as they used to.

You seem to think the Chinese tourism market is complementing a thriving western tourism market.  It's not, it's replacing it, and the average daily spend by the Chinese  tourists is no where near what Phuket has seen in the past, from other demographics. 

Now add Indians and Russians to "complement" the Chinese market and the picture gets worse. 

A snap shot of the Phuket News Forum shows 16 out of the 18 threads running on the first page are to do with a crime, or a death.

The crimes ranged from counterfeit goods and land encroachment, to assault, fake passports, ATM fraud, armed robbery, extortion, dangerous driving etc.

Of the deaths, there is road death and one unexplained death. 

Of course, such statistics could just be a coincidence.  Right???

Edited by NamKangMan

2 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

A snap shot of the Phuket News Forum shows 16 out of the 18 threads running on the first page are to do with a crime, or a death.

The crimes ranged from counterfit goods and land encroachment, to assault, fake passports, ATM fraud and dangerous driving.

Of the deaths, there is suicide, road fatalities and one unexplained death. 

Of course, such statistics could just be a coincidence.  Right???

Crimes range from "counterfeit goods " not new ' land encroachment " not new " assault " not new " fake passports " not new 

" ATM fraud " not new " dangerous driving " not new, so just a normal snapshot of Phuket news, what's new???     :coffee1: 

Of the deaths, suicide, road, unexplained, again same old same old what IS your point just another day in paradise no??

NKM here is a less obvious bellwether.

I also expect a financial collapse in Phuket.

But as I am a contrarian investor, I have over the last year or so started looking at Phuket property.

I have no intention of buying now but am doing some research in case future opportunities arise.

I only review Thai language sites, not interested in DDproperty, Bahtsold and the like.  Any property on Phuket that is already in the hands of a foreigner is usually significantly overpriced.

On Kaidee over the last few months I have noticed dozens of smaller land plots coming for sale on Phuket.

These are not million dollar blocks but the smaller blocks that a middle class Thai family might own.

In my 8 years in Phuket, I saw only a very small quantity of such listings.  Right now there is a flood of them.

The new land tax kicks off this year, that coupled with debt saturation and rising unemployment has to result in some sort of correction one would think.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn