Demons in your youth

bannork

Inspired by Digital Banana's reference to the appalling Wurzels back in the 70s ( I think), I realized that with the benefit of you tube, I could once again face some of the truly terrible songs of my youth and hopefully come to terms with them, resulting in closure as the shrinks would say.

I don't mean just songs you don't like, but rather songs utterly bereft of any class, tune or sincerity...., in other words pure trash, and my god, there was a lot of it.

I was a toddler for much of the 70's but if you include the 80s and 90's then I shudder when hearing the song "Macarena" by Los Del Rio. Modern Talking also makes my stomach lurch.

Edited by MZurf
  • Like 1

What's wrong with The Wurzles?

They single- handedly destroyed the image of the West Country farmer as a man of modern times, equipped with up-to-date technology and mindful of environmental consequences, instead they portrayed him as a man with a voracious sexual appetite only able to express himself through grunts and various ooh arrs.

Apart from the crap tunes of course.

Agreed but most of those that make you shudder when you remember them were one hit wonders. And amongst such rubbish of the times (the 70's) were songs and music that changed the World.

Elton John and Stevie Wonder were not one hit wonders, don't doubt their musical ability, but there singing voices made me cringe.

They single- handedly destroyed the image of the West Country farmer as a man of modern times, equipped with up-to-date technology and mindful of environmental consequences, instead they portrayed him as a man with a voracious sexual appetite only able to express himself through grunts and various ooh arrs.

Plus they convinced the rest of the country that we all speak like that in the westcountry.

Plus they convinced the rest of the country that we all speak like that in the westcountry.

Being from The Westcountry, I found it rather amusing

Sounds as if the were singing about ban nork (the place not you LOL)

Only able to communicate through arai was as they knock back another loa kao instead of scrumpy, speak some local lingo no one understands.

The only difference Issan at least has some good tunes and fine looking women.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't they?

<self deleted>, there's another bubble burst.................sad.png

tongue.png

In this thread 'like' means, yes I agree it is crap.

rgs, gotta agree with you here though millions won't. Personally i never saw what all the fuss was about with Queen, bombastic to my ears but there you go- "Magic' was a nice number though.

I remember the Bee Gees doing slow ballads about going to Massachusetts ( apologies re spelling if wrong), at the time they seemed sort out of place with all the exciting stuff going on in the late 60s music wise, but then one day someone kicked Barry in his nether region and lo they were reborn disco style, like a completely different boy band.

Macca went off the rails for a while with this trite tripe

I couldnt stand this pompous self indulgant crap.

As if the above wasnt bad enough, along came this rubbish.

Thankfully salvation was at hand in the form of punk.

Aw c'mon, the BeeGees were grrrreat.

^^^^^, no no no and yet again no.

Jeez its even features Whispering Bob on the LH side of the screen, get me outta here.

This song is SOOOOOO Effin bad, words fail me, I dont even know where to begin.

Never mind, I'll give it a go, poxy '80s drum machine and synths, sentimental slush lyrics, much loved by Radio 2 Terry Wogan types.

Utterly cringeworthy.

It's a good song............

Since when did West Country farmers have an image as a man of modern times and equipped with up-to-date technology, mindful of environmental consequences? Zummerzet's the only place I know where they drink pink diesel and run their tractors on scrumpy, and vice versa depending on the season.

I enjoyed the two clips in the Original Post, though - thanks for reposting.

SC

• Like 2

Since when did West Country farmers have an image as a man of modern times and equipped with up-to-date technology, mindful of environmental consequences? Zummerzet's the only place I know where they drink pink diesel and run their tractors on scrumpy, and vice versa depending on the season.

I enjoyed the two clips in the Original Post, though - thanks for reposting.

SC

The Wurzels were never the same after their lead singer, the legendary Adge Cutler popped his clogs.

I hope Adge didn't fall beneath the tracks of the combine, a fate too dreadful to recall.

SC, when's the next flight to Zummerzet ?, With the drop in the price of diesel, it could be worth popping over for a session.

AOA ( please excuse abbreviation- saving ink, protecting the environment, etc), you have to realize that for those of us hoping for so much in the hippie era, the early and mid 70s

musicin many cases failed to produce the required goods

Dismay is a word far too mild to describe the disappointment at the time.

Enclosed is a clip introduced by the well known social worker, Sir Jimmy Saville, fortunately here he is surrounded by' hello sailors'

• Like 1