Thai student, 26, slain in US

Lite Beer

Thai student, 26, slain in US
NANTHIDA PUANGTHONG
THE SUNDAY NATION

THAI AUTHORITIES are arranging to bring back the body of a female Thai student killed in Pittsburgh in the US on Thursday.

Sek Wannamethee, head of the Foreign Affairs Ministry's Information Department, said yesterday that Pittsburgh police found a man and a woman shot dead in an apartment in North Oakland on Thursday.

Police said evidence at the scene indicated that the woman, 26-year-old Mahidol scholarship recipient Chalalai Chaihirankarn, was killed by her Thai-American boyfriend, Bryan Springer, 29, before he turned the gun on himself.

Chalalai was studying for a computer science doctorate degree at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) while Springer, also a CMU alumni, worked as an engineer at the university's Computer Science Institute.

Sek said police suspected the apparent murder-suicide was caused by jealousy.

He said the Office of the Civil Service Commission branch in Washington relayed the tragic news to Chalalai's family and Mahidol University and told the Royal Thai Consulate General in New York to issue her death certificate.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said that two days before the bodies were found, Springer bought a Glock handgun and 20 rounds of ammunition, saying he needed it for "protection".

The Iron City Armory in Collier said Springer passed a background check for criminal convictions, protection-from-abuse orders and other factors that would have prohibited him buying the gun. "According to friends, the couple's relationship was troubled. However, there did not appear to be any signs of a struggle," Pittsburgh police Major Crimes Commander RaShall Brackney said on Friday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-student-26-slain-in-US-30253106.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-01

What's wrong with these people...

How can they become so desperate over a girlfriend :-(

I can't help but notice that the cases of women killing their boyfriends because of jealousy are much more rare. Maybe if demand nad supply were inverted ?

*Deleted post edited out*

Ahh, so you are going to blame it on being a Thai male/

Nope. Read the article again. Did you see this part?

worked as an engineer at the university's Computer Science Institute.

If you want to play the blame it on something game, I suggest a more plausible characteristic was the IT work.

It seems to be a common characteristic of the people whenever there is a violent crime with implications of a mental illness.

The computer industry attracts a lot of people who have poor people skills and an inability to handle the emotions when human interactions are involved.

I trust this satisfies your need to attach an attribute to a tragic event.

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edit out

Pity Thailand wasn't included , I suppose they didn't consider it at 'developed' country.Interesting to see that South Africa which has approx 7 times less guns than the US has almost as high a death rate.

• Like 1

How soon we forget that with strict laws Thai's get guns and kill for less reasons not saying that what that idiot was any better. But I hope the RTP take notes on how the death was reported first to the family then the embassy and lastly the media case closed.

• Like 2

Off-topic posts bashing groups have been removed. I know this is a perfect storm for you a Thai-American man killing someone, but bashing of nationalities isn't going to cut it.

Please stay on topic.

May she rest in peace. This is a story about an extremely bright young promising woman who was probably living out her dreams in the USA. Even the Pittsburgh newspaper added this to their article "Out of respect to the families, we are providing no further information about their passing."

Maybe some respect can be shown here today on this forum, just as a reporter from a country with free speech did.

• Like 1

Way to easy to obtain guns in the US.
I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted>.
No, these things do happen but are very rare in countries where there are stricter gun laws.

I agree.

I don't care what the gun lobbyists say.... Countries with tighter gun laws have only a tiny fraction of murders per capita.

Murder rates tend to match the availability of guns quite consistently.

It is undeniable.

Not according to this data, which lists the U.S. as 111th in the world in intentional homicide rates (per 100,000 people):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Your data supports Pepperme's statement. Fail rolleyes.gif The USA is 111th, but none of the countries higher on the list has strict gun laws and the countries that do are WAY down the list (mostly European)

Pity Thailand wasn't included , I suppose they didn't consider it at 'developed' country.Interesting to see that South Africa which has approx 7 times less guns than the US has almost as high a death rate.

Well the population is 7 times smaller so not that surprising. Pretty soon the murder rate in South Africa will be zero: Just waiting for Jacob Zuma to proclaim that ''murder is a western paradigm'' :D Edited by SABloke

I agree.

I don't care what the gun lobbyists say.... Countries with tighter gun laws have only a tiny fraction of murders per capita.

It is undeniable.

Not according to this data, which lists the U.S. as 111th in the world in intentional homicide rates (per 100,000 people):

Your data supports Pepperme's statement. Fail rolleyes.gif The USA is 111th, but none of the countries higher on the list has strict gun laws and the countries that do are WAY down the list (mostly European)

Really? You've researched the gun laws in 110 countries this morning?

Mexico has quite strict gun laws.....so there goes your theory down the toilet. Thanks for playing, though.

Edited by Diplomatico

I agree.

It is undeniable.

Really? You've researched the gun laws in 110 countries this morning?

Mexico has quite strict gun laws.....so there goes your theory down the toilet. Thanks for playing, though.

From Wiki:

''Mexican citizens and legal residents may purchase new non-military firearms for self-protection or hunting only after receiving approval of a petition to the Defense Ministry, which performs extensive background checks. The allowed weapons are restricted to relatively small calibers and may only be purchased legally from the Defense Ministry.Possession of non-military firearms is regulated by Mexican federal law. Pistols are restricted to calibres up to .380 (9mm short), including .38 Special and .38 Super. Revolvers are also allowed in calibers up to .38 special excluding .357 Magnum. Shotguns up to 12 gauge and rifles up to .30 caliber are allowed for hunting and sporting. "Military" firearms, including pistols with bores exceeding .38 caliber, and BB guns (but not pellet guns) require federal licenses and are regulated in a manner similar to that dictated by the U.S. National Firearms Act (NFA). Generally, non-military firearms may be kept at home, but a license is required to carry them outside the home.''

'Quite' strict indeed :unsure:

*Deleted post edited out*

Ahh, so you are going to blame it on being a Thai male/

Nope. Read the article again. Did you see this part?

worked as an engineer at the university's Computer Science Institute.

If you want to play the blame it on something game, I suggest a more plausible characteristic was the IT work.

It seems to be a common characteristic of the people whenever there is a violent crime with implications of a mental illness.

The computer industry attracts a lot of people who have poor people skills and an inability to handle the emotions when human interactions are involved.

I trust this satisfies your need to attach an attribute to a tragic event.

Worked in IT for most of my working life and I'm well aware of the stereotype you're trotting out, but not one of my co-workers killed their partner, and we're talking thousands of people over 30+ years. I also did 4 years service in the Australian Army and - despite a huge divorce rate - I'm not aware of a single serving soldier killing his partner. I dont attribute this to 'jealous Thai man syndrome', and I accept that the pressure of his working life may have contributed to his emotional condition, but I refuse to accept that working in IT makes anyone a prime candidate for a murder-suicide. Corporations and governments are far more concerned about unleashing another Edward Snowdon on the world when they hire people to sit in front of a screen all day than the possibility of hiring a potential murderer.

• Like 2

I want to know more about him - where was he born, grew-up, his parents' relationship and his educational history?

I would need to see his profile and then id the causal factors..

Virtually impossible to keep hand guns off the streets given America's history re: guns. Stricter gun laws efforts focus towards types of weapons and the one used was probably at the lowest level and would have been approved even with stricter guns laws that can't pass currently...

CB

No, these things do happen but are very rare in countries where there are stricter gun laws.

I agree.

It is undeniable.

U.S. Has More Guns – And Gun Deaths – Than Any Other Country, Study Finds

The United States has more guns and gun deaths than any other developed country in the world, researchers found.

A study by two New York City cardiologists found that the U.S. has 88 guns per 100 people and 10 gun-related deaths per 100,000 people — more than any of the other 27 developed countries they studied.

Japan, on the other hand, had only .6 guns per 100 people and .06 gun-related deaths per 100,000 people, making it the country with both the fewest guns per capita and the fewest gun-related deaths.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/09/19/u-s-has-more-guns-and-gun-deaths-than-any-other-country-study-finds/

While I'm a firm believer in strict gun laws, this guy probably would have killed her anyways.

Statistics can't be thrown around to prove anything. Countries such as Chile, Bolivia, Mexico and South Africa are going to have homicide and violence issues

far beyond gun control.

There are too many factors; poverty, politics, racial/social tensions, etc that the stats can be misinterpreted one way or the other too easily.

She sounds like she was a promising young person with a great life ahead until cut short.

While I'm a firm believer in strict gun laws, this guy probably would have killed her anyways.

Statistics can't be thrown around to prove anything. Countries such as Chile, Bolivia, Mexico and South Africa are going to have homicide and violence issues

far beyond gun control.

There are too many factors; poverty, politics, racial/social tensions, etc that the stats can be misinterpreted one way or the other too easily.

She sounds like she was a promising young person with a great life ahead until cut short.

Chile has the lowest homicide rate in South America - reportedly down on the numbers quoted in this table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate_by_decade#2010s

if they really do have the rate down to 2 per 100,000 people nationally, it's a stunning achievement in a country which has seen its share of killing. Even at 3.7, they were still below Thailand and the US on the table. Whether that translates into a 'safe society' is a different question, but it's a long way off the other countries you've listed.

Way to easy to obtain guns in the US.

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted> .

I agree.

It is undeniable.

Except Thailand. It has one of the highest gun homicide rates

in the world, yet have very strict gun ownership laws. Do you

have an explaination for that ??

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

I agree.

It is undeniable.

Except Thailand. It has one of the highest gun homicide rates

in the world, yet have very strict gun ownership laws. Do you

have an explaination for that ??

are these tighter gun ownership laws strictly enforced?

There is your answer.