Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

For those who think that all Thais are materialists:

There's an old Thai man here in East Pattaya. He's so old, he can only walk around with his back bended down. He's collecting empty bottles, and he doesn't get paid for doing so. In Farang countries you would call him a bum.

This old Thai man is surely a respectable minimalist by choice.

He owns much land, they say he owns half of the area around here.

Edited by micmichd

I am reading the autobiography of Charlie Chaplin.

In it he states, "This attitude of wanting to make poverty attractive for the other person is annoying. I have yet to know a poor man who has nostalgia for poverty, or who finds freedom in it."

Edited by SpokaneAl

I have money..i dont flaunt it..i dont buy expensive perfumes...i live in my own Flybird Condo and have 4 other studio in this building that are tenated.

But i dont need to wear expensive clothes . shoes. .have gold chains..etc i just live my life .

very fly indeed.

Birds fly, airplanes fly, my gf flies on airplanes like I did.

She's really worth it, because she saved my life when Farangs tried to lock me up.

Hopefully one day her (our) daughter will fly, and hopefully she'll be accepted then wherever she goes.

For those who think that all Thais are materialists:

There's an old Thai man here in East Pattaya. He's so old, he can only walk around with his back bended down. He's collecting empty bottles, and he doesn't get paid for doing so. In Farang countries you would call him a bum.

This old Thai man is surely a respectable minimalist by choice.

He owns much land, they say he owns half of the area around here.

Yes, i think i saw him driving his Mercedes. Actually he isn't at all rare. In every country I've been to, every city, for my whole life I've known of these types. There are always these street bums whom i am quickly assured by locals are actually unimaginably wealthy and return home each evening to vast and beautiful mansions. Funny though, I've never seen them do this. I suppose I'm just never around at the time.

It would be interesting to see what happened if george and naam met in person...theoretically they should cancel each other out and vanish into nothingness....naam values money above all else and loves to tell everyone how he is rich....me money mak, me money mak....george loves to tell everyone how he has no money and values everything inversely to cost....equal and opposites....id like to see it happen....

the dogs bark, the caravan moves on... wink.png

Yesterday's expenses for myself in Bangkok.

60bt taxi to coffee shop.

180bt for 2 cappuccino.

40bt for a sesame bagel.

60bt return taxi.

550bt seafood lunch for two.

165bt dog food. I feed the neighbors puppy.

650 supermarket supplies.

450 laundry.

320 Mexican dinner.

60bt taxi to the Ducati dealer to look at the bikes.

60bt return taxi.

1,500 companionship 1 hour.

I have money..i dont flaunt it..i dont buy expensive perfumes...i live in my own Flybird Condo and have 4 other studio in this building that are tenated.

But i dont need to wear expensive clothes . shoes. .have gold chains..etc i just live my life .

Respect.

The richest people in America don't drive a Rolls, Ferrari, Cadillac, or Jaguar.

They drive Hondas, Toyota, Acura or a Volkswagen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2011/12/30/what-the-rich-people-really-drive/

Those luxury cars are for "wannabees"... people who feel a need to flaunt their "wealth" in order to make others THINK they are "rich" and "successful".

Whenever I see someone flaunting their wealth with a Big House, Big motorcycle or luxury car, my gut instinct is to feel sorry for their wife or girlfriend.

What are they trying to "compensate" for?

555+

those wives and girlfriends must be appreciating your sympathy. why not approach them flaunting your minimalistic attitude and perhaps the result will be a donation of a few Baht to pay for your noodle soup dinner which might satisfy your gut instinct? of course that applies only si vuestra merced puede.

p.s. with every additional posting you sound more ridiculous, albeit entertaining thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Yesterday's expenses for myself in Bangkok.

60bt taxi to coffee shop.

180bt for 2 cappuccino.

40bt for a sesame bagel.

60bt return taxi.

550bt seafood lunch for two.

165bt dog food. I feed the neighbors puppy.

650 supermarket supplies.

450 laundry.

320 Mexican dinner.

60bt taxi to the Ducati dealer to look at the bikes.

60bt return taxi.

1,500 companionship 1 hour.

oh dear! why do you flaunt your wealth? w00t.gif

McDonalds coffee is expensive tourist price?

My sesame bagel is unhealthy?

The seafood lunch was at a Thai place. No English menu.

My laundry lady charges me tourist prices?

You don't shop at a supermarket for household supplies?

The Mexican dinner was cooked by a real Mexican by the way. Delicious. Actually I went back 3 hours later for another round of tacos. Add 320 more.

You want me to walk all that way in the Bangkok heat. Taxies are cheap.

I don't need a Ducati?

1500 for a pat pong hose monster is a bargain.

I forgot to mention the hotel 3,200.

This is not living large. This is how the average working person with a decent job lives. No?

Some here are happy living like an inmate. Have fun.

Edited by joesanunu
  • Like 2

Lets imagine there is a choice...to be the minimalist george, poor and yet with enough, but healthy and sounding in good humor....or rich but old, unhealthy, unable to do much apart from bark about being rich....me money mak....me money mak....eh naam?

Edited by paddyjenkins

Lets imagine there is a choice...to be the minimalist george, poor and yet with enough, but healthy and sounding in good humor....or rich but old, unhealthy, unable to do much apart from bark about being rich....me money mak....me money mak....eh naam?

And then there are those who been careful and frugal and have enough saved to provide options and choices in life, and are, by the way, very healthy and happy.

Rich equates to unhealthy?

I get more excercise on my Paris trips than I do in the stifling heat here in cheapskateville.

• Like 1

I get more excercise on my Paris trips than I do in the stifling heat here in cheapskateville.

I didn't say rich equated to anything in general, i offered two distinct choices....poor, healthy minimalist versus rich, unhealthy, miserable....

Actually it does, There are more unhealthy people in the western world than in Asia and many rich, fat people walking around eating way too much .

You choose your own lifestyle , eat less and more healthy. You can do that in Thailand if you select the right type of food. And you still live a minimalistic lifestyle.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

One of the people in this photo is rich, supremely happy every single time they point a camera or a microphone at them and revered by millions. The other one is Kathy Griffin, and at one stage she actually lived with that fat guy. Let's not get too carried away with the 'rich, fat people are sick and terminally unhappy' meme.

steve-wozniak-ss.jpg

• Like 2

One of the people in this photo is rich, supremely happy every single time they point a camera or a microphone at them and revered by millions. The other one is Kathy Griffin, and at one stage she actually lived with that fat guy. Let's not get too carried away with the 'rich, fat people are sick and terminally unhappy' meme.

steve-wozniak-ss.jpg

I don't think anyone is saying that...maybe the subject matter has gone over your head

it's eating you up from inside, isn't it?

Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif

• Like 2

The Mexican dinner was cooked by a real Mexican by the way. Delicious. Actually I went back 3 hours later for another round of tacos. Add 320 more.

I don't need a Ducati?

This is not living large. This is how the average working person with a decent job lives. No?

3,200 Baht for a hotel room? w00t.gif do you really need airconditioning? wouldn't a minimalistic fan room for 385 Baht been adequate? think of your carbon footprint!

• Like 1

I don't need a Ducati?

3,200 Baht for a hotel room? w00t.gif do you really need airconditioning? wouldn't a minimalistic fan room for 385 Baht been adequate? think of your carbon footprint!

I am sure a tent would also work just as well, but sometimes we like and deserve to spoil ourselves a bit.

Also, assuming one does believe in that carbon footprint stuff, how does staying in a hotel room increase one's carbon footprint? The hotel is already constructed, the room is already cooled.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone is saying that...maybe the subject matter has gone over your head

Entirely possible, given that hot air does inevitably rise. I guess you and I interpret balo's post differently. Seems Woz committed the crime of being rich, fat and from the western world : let's forget the obesity epidemic among kids in China and - increasingly - middle-class kids in Thailand. As for unhealthy people, I guess mortality rates dont bear comparison between those rich countries and the developing world.

Actually it does, There are more unhealthy people in the western world than in Asia and many rich, fat people walking around eating way too much .

• Like 1

I don't need a Ducati?

I am sure a tent would also work just as well, but sometimes we like and deserve to spoil ourselves a bit.

There's a difference between "Sometimes" & "Lives There"... I thought this Thread was about "Living" on a minimalistic budget, not being on holiday & staying in an "expensive" hotel for a day or 3.

Edited by JB300

I don't need a Ducati?

Also, assuming one does believe in that carbon footprint stuff, how does staying in a hotel room increase one's carbon footprint? The hotel is already constructed, the room is already cooled.

i follow the logic of Sir Sisipuede who claims you increase your carbon footprint when you buy a big home because every m³ of concrete yakety-yak bla-bla.... tongue.png

• Like 1