Thai opinion: Teaching a kid to love the Americans

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Teaching a kid to love the Americans

Tulsathit Taptim

BANGKOK: -- The same boy who had fought with his English teacher over the word "xenophobia" (Stoppage Time, June 18, 2014) came home yesterday looking totally depressed again. The father, now familiar with his son's habit of never letting go a classroom argument, asked what it was this time. "America", the kid replied tersely, and the old man knew immediately.

The following conversation reflects, you may say, a boy's innocent curiosity over the complexities of America's action and principles, and a grown man's understanding of the "grey" world:

The father: Don't get too stressed over diplomacy, son. It's just a charade materialising on an international stage. Everyone will perform his rhetoric and then go home to do the dishes. It's a diplomat's job to say something and it's the government's job to say something back.

The boy: That's exactly my point, Dad. I asked my pro-America teacher if America really cared. I mean, for a country that should focus on its own bankers and fund managers, why is a former third-world leader's impeachment such a big deal?

The father: I'm not defending America, but the impeached person was elected by the people. What happened to her was "undemocratic" and the US, you know, is supposed to defend democracy.

The boy: I wonder how many Americans know the name Yingluck Shinawatra.

The father: I know what you're getting at, son, but democracy is all about entrusting your representatives to take care of things for you. Once you cast your vote for Barack Obama, you accept the possibility that one day, an aide of an aide of his aide might travel half the world to deplore a martial law that he knows little about.

The boy: I appreciate that empowerment-by-the-majority stuff. But if majority voices really matter, why does America need that power of veto at the United Nations? Why did it invade Iraq when most of the world said it shouldn't?

The father: You are asking ancient questions. The answer is, if you want police to protect your neighbourhood, you give them some rights that you don't normally give others.

The boy: Don't we have rights to police ourselves? Don't we have rights to say what's right and what's wrong in our own home? We are supposed to know more of the details than the Americans, aren't we? And who made America the world's policeman anyway?

The father: They have the firepower. And they have the money to buy your goods, sometimes at unusually high prices and sometimes when they don't really need them.

The boy: Now I understand why the rich kids at school have so many sidekicks.

The father: Don't be so negative. Democracy is good for the world. It provides the best environment for creativity and innovation. It's no coincidence that that iPhone of yours originated from America. And there are your favourite Jason Bourne movies. They can't make films like that in China.

The boy: If expansion of knowledge is the spirit of democracy, why are they going after copyright thieves all over the world? Why are drug patents so important to the democratic superpowers?

The father: Because pirated Jason Bourne movies will land money elsewhere and, in the end, the creative Jason Bourne makers will have no funds to produce a new film. The same goes for all the expensive drugs.

The boy: Wouldn't it be better if pirated Jason Bourne films inspired new filmmakers in the third world? The same goes for all the drugs.

The father: What would you say if someone stole your creation or idea?

The boy: I would be flattered. If the idea is having as many people benefit from my creation as possible, that is.

The father: That might be what Daniel Russel (US assistant secretary of state) was trying to do. He probably wanted to promote democratic values as much and as far away as he could.

The boy: I don't know, Dad. Something doesn't feel right. Democracy is supposed to open our minds, right? It's not as if the secret police are knocking down doors and water-boarding suspected dissidents for fun over here. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for democracy in Thailand. My point is, are we supposed to be lectured by those who have colonised many countries, who sent Edward Snowden and Julian Assange running for their lives, and allow police to kill an unarmed black man during a period of political peace?

The father: The Americans have got their reasons, kiddo. Each country has its own complexities. And most importantly, son, you're talking as if all Americans are the same. Never ever generalise. Never ever use a stereotype on a country or a people. Never ever simplify other people's or other countries' situations. Don't ever do that again.

The boy: I'll try to understand America more, Dad. Thank you for listening, and be patient with me.

The father: Anytime, son.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Teaching-a-kid-to-love-the-Americans-30253334.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-04

This conversation never happened.

This child does not exist.

This is an almost clever and very transparent way to present some writer's views of the relationship of Thailand with the U.S.

Most Thai students and adults only have a vague idea that any other countries exist outside of Thailand.

Many have no idea of what is going on inside of or with their own country.

Does this writer really think anyone will buy this story?

You bought it...or at least you replied to it....

• Like 1

but democracy is all about entrusting your representatives to take care of things for you

Therein lies the rub when they say one thing to get elected, then reverse course immediately upon getting into office...

Agree that the article is BS and likely never happened...

• Like 1

I think the government should be clamping down on all this anti American propaganda that is being released. Someone is trying incite thais against Americans and it is dangerous. There are a lot of crazy thais out there with hot heads and every farang probably looks like an American to them. A few drinks and a bit of inciting and farangs could get hurt which in turn will make huge international media coverage and damage Thailand's image and tourism. They will have to increase thier dual pricing 50 fold to cover losses, if there are any tourists left that is.

Remember last year in Udon Thani some young drunks, or at least they claimed they were, decided to copy KT and attacked a foreigner inflicting very serious injury.

Does anyone have a follow up as he was beaten unconscious but i haven't seen or heard anything since ?

This conversation never happened.

This child does not exist.

This is an almost clever and very transparent way to present some writer's views of the relationship of Thailand with the U.S.

Most Thai students and adults only have a vague idea that any other countries exist outside of Thailand.

Many have no idea of what is going on inside of or with their own country.

Does this writer really think anyone will buy this story?

You are so correct. The article is a feeble attempt at Psychology 101. Thai's dote on their children. In a naive manner, reverse psychology is introduced in the guise of a parable. The innocent Thai and complicated American Policies.

What it actually infers is that Thai's are victims...that they are children...not capable of understanding complex relationships. Very self deprecating....and shameful.

I am shocked they would use this at all..........

stooooooopid

No need to teach Thai kids or kids anywhere to love Americans, Americans love themselves enough for the rest of the world.

You missed the point of the op, sunshine. But, propaganda and missing the point seems to be your specialty.

• Like 1

This is crap a fantasy, but to think that Americans are honest and dont have ulterior motives is crap too.

America is not that trustworthy plenty of proof for that. They look out for themselves and bully and push others around.

They are better as Russia and China but certainly not angels without ulterior motives in what they do.

Same goes for every Nation in the world...two times?

What does anyone else do that is so unselfish. America goes out and tries...often fails...but tries.

Other nations hide like poosies....turn tails....

Often the USA pushes smaller countries around. I can still remember how they kept complaining about our drug policies in the Netherlands not accepting them. Forcing us to change and so on. Was not their business but they pushed and bullied quite often. This was an internal affair, and now they are legalizing weed too in many states.

They have supported their fair share of dictators as long as they were not communist. They have sold weapons incited war ect ect. They cannot claim the high ground here. They invaded countries on evidence that has been fabricated (Irak) just because of oil. I can't say that countries like Sweden / Holland / Belgium ever did like that.

So they are just a bully, just like Russia and China.. just a bit better and id choose them over those others any time. However that does not make them good. just less bad. They can't compare to countries like Sweden Holland ect in honesty.

• Like 2

American economy is doing quite well...so current government is getting better ratings than before.

Nothing is perfect, in an imperfect world.

Compare it with garbage policies in Europe, Australia and UK.... where your money is worth not a fish bone.

At the moment this is the case.. but there was a time this was different. Things change all the time don't expect this to be forever. I can still remember the Americans complain when their dollar was low.

But you are 100% right currently they are doing a good job.

• Like 1