Police Crackdown on Prostitution in Chiang Mai!

WinnieTheKhwai

I have many fond memories of that area from the past, old friends some now departed, made many new friends, wine, women and song and loads of laughs that was affordable. We were not sexpats, just a bunch of lads out for social. The whole area was heaving with farangs of all nationalities and ages at the time. The Spotlight used to be packed out on most nights plus some great shows on stage. Little did I know at the time that the scene would end up like this.

2 weeks ago I drove passed what used to be the Las Vegas bar. Now it`s just a derelict building with the fading Las Vegas sign still showing over the door. Many other of my old haunts went the same way. I think the beginning of the end was when they levelled all the little open bars close by where the Foxy Lady is located now and then planted trees in the area.

Sad, sad, sad.

Was in CM a couple of weeks ago after quite some time seeing some friends. On the Foxy Lady road Soi 1 I didn't see trees. Where the Peak Pool Bar and the climbing frame used to be there was just nothing just a concrete rubble strewn open place. The Meridian I think is on the site where the older small bars used to be next to what used to be the Chiang Inn before it was modernised and name changed. I did notice though that at the back of the Night Bazaar building quite a few of the units were being opened as bars but they seemed very quiet. Maybe partly because they are not obvious from the road. They don't seem to be the right size or shape for the traditional beer bars though and a bit soulless. Spotlight dead had same findings. The girls in Foxy weren't that good and after ten years plus of living in and knowing CM had my first look in Star Six, glad I left it 10 years and didn't waste time before. Don't remember the name Las Vegas.

Where I did find some life was in the first few bars off Loi Khro going down to the boxing ring. Beware the ladyboy bar. Zoom was particularly busy and had many expats who live there plus a few tourists. The bottom bars were dead though. End of LKR bars still reasonably busy.

Sad, sad, sad I echo your comments 200%.

There are two go go bars in CM. Two nights ago I decided to have a beer in one of them. Foxy Lady was closed and Spotlight had a total of 4 dancers of poor quality. Seems like this may have affected the go gos too.

3 go gos,

You forgot Star Six?

Have you been to Star Six recently? It's well worth forgetting. It's sad, a few years ago it was a fun place to visit.

Interesting about Foxy Lady being closed, and worth noting if it is part of the "crackdown". Does anyone know if it is closed because of the police or for other reasons, such as renovation or the lease coming up for renewal at an unreasonable price?

I am all for a permanent crack down on under age and trafficked women.

The others I say live and let live.

Do the trafficked women wear little signs identifying them?

No. But neither are the likely to have Thai ID.

I've never been in Chiang Mai bars... Sorry, I didn't realize that it's the usual custom here to ask to see a Thai ID before one pays their bar fine.

If you have any doubt about her age it is very wise.

My wife has a niece who is an absolute cutie, and when she puts on make up and sexy clothes, is an absolute knock out! She paid 1,000 baht for an ID that said she was 18, when she was really only 16, and went to work at a karaoke bar on Chang Klan Road. She made it clear that she did not want to have sex with the customers, and was only there to provide them with company while they were drinking, but after about 2 weeks the manager told her that she would have to start having sex, or find another job. She walked out an that was the end of that. About 2 weeks later the place was shut down. That was 4 months ago, and it's still closed. And she's now working in the market at night doing foot and leg massage with her Tomboy lover.

Thailand is getting overflown by a tsunami of crackdowns,but the end is near soon real soon we see the end results right?:

Not one bar will be open after midnight.

Not one hookers left in Thailand

No more drugs and drug dealers in Thailand.As the leader is about to win that war as he said..

No more beggars in Thailand.

No more people on the beach in Thailand.

No more mafia karaoke joints.

Soon this great country be pure and cleaned up again by the perfect government.

I can't blame the Thai government or police for the crackdown thats been going on through out Thailand.

The United States placed them on Tier 3. Economic Sanctions would follow if they did not comply.

It was interesting to listen to some Thai's point of view. I was sitting with a group of Thai's (included Thai women) who were discussing the situation. They laid it straight at me, i had to defend myself in the discussion as i am not an American. But what they said made sense.

Why has America made itself the policeman of the so called "free world"? They traffic weapons into Mexico & South America which kills 10s of thousands of people each year. They seem to allow the trafficking of drugs into their country. They have human trafficking coming in from the south of their country. Everyone in the world can be held accountable for war crimes, except Americans. The Americans have caused the deaths of millions of people through the world with their wars since the end of the Second World War. They even said the Ukraine War was another of America's proxy wars against Russia. The US doesn't want prostitution in Thailand, yet it's legal in America. The US are hypocrites.

I wasn't going to argue. But i did come away thinking that if the US continues it's bully boy tactics it's will only push some countries in South East Asia to have closer ties to China. The Thai's are becoming better educated these days.

Newton's third law of physics, "Every Action Has a Reaction".

As for aged prostitutes, i saw a few 40-50 year old go-go dancers in Angeles city. I guess they were young at heart.

• Like 2

A spy was sent to the bar to gather evidence. The owner of the bar, 57-year-old Panatchakorn Wangrak, soon introduced her prostitutes and offered sexual services starting at 1,500 baht.

I think this is the crux of the matter: bars (or karaokes) specifically offering sex for money. Discussed at some places around LK last night. A bar should apparently refrain from getting this specific. Staff can leave when x00 Baht is paid, but they shouldn't get specific about what happens after that.

I've taken staff out of bars plenty of times but there is no need to be discussing anything related to prostitution, and especially not with the bar. (And personally, more often than not it's just to go to Zoe or hang out some place else.) Once bars start renting out girls specifically for sex they appear to be on the wrong side of the law this week. (And then again whenever the next crackdown will be)

Meanwhile.. Places like Sayuri don't get raided, but a tiny shack on Kamphaengdin does.. rolleyes.gif Maybe police don't know about it: no tip off. biggrin.png
Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Presumably the 50 year old was a Madame?

Are you suggesting a 50 yo isn't, or can't be, attractive? My gf is coming up 50 in September, and there is no hotter woman on tbe planet. Admittedly she's not a hooker, and I suppose they have a harder life than most, excessive wear and tear, and often into alcohol and substance abuse.

• Like 1

I can't blame the Thai government or police for the crackdown thats been going on through out Thailand.

The United States placed them on Tier 3. Economic Sanctions would follow if they did not comply.

It was interesting to listen to some Thai's point of view. I was sitting with a group of Thai's (included Thai women) who were discussing the situation. They laid it straight at me, i had to defend myself in the discussion as i am not an American. But what they said made sense.

Why has America made itself the policeman of the so called "free world"? They traffic weapons into Mexico & South America which kills 10s of thousands of people each year. They seem to allow the trafficking of drugs into their country. They have human trafficking coming in from the south of their country. Everyone in the world can be held accountable for war crimes, except Americans. The Americans have caused the deaths of millions of people through the world with their wars since the end of the Second World War. They even said the Ukraine War was another of America's proxy wars against Russia. The US doesn't want prostitution in Thailand, yet it's legal in America. The US are hypocrites.

I wasn't going to argue. But i did come away thinking that if the US continues it's bully boy tactics it's will only push some countries in South East Asia to have closer ties to China. The Thai's are becoming better educated these days.

He who has the gold makes the rules! !

As for aged prostitutes, i saw a few 40-50 year old go-go dancers in Angeles city. I guess they were young at heart.

With out sex tourism to be honest there wo n be much tourist hrte. Totally agree the country itself has gift of beauties and offer almost paradise like places ( apart from the thainess and red tapes in the system).

But unfortunately the fact is people a lot of them do come here for sexual need or pleasier purpose.

Prostition are there in many ways, why only holding the free lancers ?

Of course they must do anything and everything to stop child prostition and stop trafficking woman and force them for prostitution.

Is there still any reason to plan a holiday to Chiang Mai? I defenitely DON'T come for elephant rides.

Unless you're coming for trafficked women or underage girls, nothing will have changed.

Hmmmm, interesting concept; freelancers are trafficked women and 25, 30, and 50 year olds, are under-aged girls.

Somebody mentioned the Ladyboy bars in the Loi Kroh bar centre. It is worth knowing that somebody posted here recently about one of the 'girls' in one of the Ladyboy bars there being HIV positive, and that when challenged, the farang bar-owner (pimp) was aware of the fact. He argued that the ladyboy always used a condom, so it was alright. The post was removed because it named names but it is worth remembering just who you are dealing with in these places and that this could be true about all of the workers there, Ladyboy or not.

He who has the gold makes the rules! !

Gee, what a novel concept; a powerful nation pushing its agenda on less powerful nations--sure is a good thing only the US has ever done this, isn't it?

With out sex tourism to be honest there wo n be much tourist hrte. Totally agree the country itself has gift of beauties and offer almost paradise like places ( apart from the thainess and red tapes in the system).

But unfortunately the fact is people a lot of them do come here for sexual need or pleasier purpose.

Of course they must do anything and everything to stop child prostition and stop trafficking woman and force them for prostitution.

Wut if ya dont lik sox?

• Like 1

Wut if ya dont lik sox?

Just wear flip-flops, no need for sox at all.

While the sex trade does exist here in Chiang Mai, it's not at blatant and "in your face" as other tourist destinations in Thailand, and have found that the majority of it is directed towards the Thai locals. The majority of "falang" I know here are married, with families, and don't frequent most of these places.

While the sex trade does exist here in Chiang Mai, it's not at blatant and "in your face" as other tourist destinations in Thailand, and have found that the majority of it is directed towards the Thai locals. The majority of "falang" I know here are married, with families, and don't frequent most of these places.

That's good to know!!!!!:huh:

Underage is one thing, trafficked is another... If a woman is of legal age and works in a bar of her own volition, how is that trafficking? To me it means that a woman has been more or less kidnapped and is working in the adult industry against her will... As with many terms, this one is over used...

Yes. Case in point, this article that Google found for me today. (I'm subscribed to articles of this type, mostly for comic relief. wink.png ) Today I got a particularly good one that shows that lots of people have no idea bout trafficking, and even less about Thailand:

http://www.theclause.org/2015/02/student-visits-thailand-to-fight-against-human-trafficking/

Josh Holm, junior theology major and president of the Free the Captives club at Azusa Pacific University, took a 2 1/2-week mission trip to Thailand during Christmas break in order to help fight human trafficking.

And it gets better from there onwards. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Underage is one thing, trafficked is another... If a woman is of legal age and works in a bar of her own volition, how is that trafficking? To me it means that a woman has been more or less kidnapped and is working in the adult industry against her will... As with many terms, this one is over used...

Yes. Case in point, this article that Google found for me today. (I'm subscribed to articles of this type, mostly for comic relief. wink.png ) Today I got a particularly good one that shows that lots of people have no idea bout trafficking, and even less about Thailand:

http://www.theclause.org/2015/02/student-visits-thailand-to-fight-against-human-trafficking/

Josh Holm, junior theology major and president of the Free the Captives club at Azusa Pacific University, took a 2 1/2-week mission trip to Thailand during Christmas break in order to help fight human trafficking.

And it gets better from there onwards. wink.png

Just read it!! What a pisser, don't ya just love these kids!!!!!!!!:P

• Like 1