Benelli TNT300s

jchfriis

I read a test report where the journalist said the TNT300 was the best sounding twin cylinder bike on the planet......

really dont understand why they think that... ive heard several TNT300 with aftermarket exhaust and stock.... i dont think it sounds any better than others, maybe even a little weak..... R3 and Ninja300 sound better IMO

i do think the TNT looks good though... its a sharp bike, especially for the money and has nice features..... really the only complaint is the weight, its a pig

benelli tnt 300 - 185kg

ninja 300 - 172-175kg

yamaha r3 - 169kg

ktm duke/rc 390 - 160kg ish

Edited by TheRoadWarrior

Here's one for conjecture? Given the size and weight of the TNT300 and its incredibly short stroke and that a CB500 is only 471cc and weighs the same as the TNT. How about TNT300 is actually a shortened stroke 450 or 500 and was designed to be able to be bigger capacity? Rather than say a stretched 250, like the Kawasaki.

I think you are right. The new Benelli 500cc (ish) adventure bike and the new scrambler are reported to have motors based on the current 300.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a pair of Pirelli Angel GT tyres fitted today (160/60 x 17 and 120/70 x 17 IE UK spec), I would not say the stock tyres (IRC Road Winner RX01Rs 140/60 x 17 and 110/60 x 17) are bad but they are cheap (3200 Baht/pair) and are more for wear than handling and I just did not feel confident with them on.

I will report further once I have racked up a few miles but initial impressions are they are much better, at 12300 Baht they should be.

• 3 months later...

Pirelli do a special tyre for the "smaller bike" - designed for 250-300cc range, Called "Sport Dragon" - http://www.rapidbikes.com.au/post/2014/09/11/Pirelli-announce-new-Sport-Dragon-Tyre-to-suit-250300-LAMS-Motorcycles-in-Australia.aspx

I had a CRF250M fitted with the standard IRC tyres, which as you said weren't much cop....

Changed to the sport dragons - the results were gobsmacking.....

And just 3,900 Baht the pair, fitted

Thanks for the heads up and 3900 a fair price for proper pirellis... luv pirellis me does. Do they sell them in Bangkok? May try asking Eric Contona that one or if you have info where properperson many thanks too.

Pirelli do a special tyre for the "smaller bike" - designed for 250-300cc range, Called "Sport Dragon" - http://www.rapidbikes.com.au/post/2014/09/11/Pirelli-announce-new-Sport-Dragon-Tyre-to-suit-250300-LAMS-Motorcycles-in-Australia.aspx

I had a CRF250M fitted with the standard IRC tyres, which as you said weren't much cop....

Thanks for the heads up and 3900 a fair price for proper pirellis... luv pirellis me does. Do they sell them in Bangkok? May try asking Eric Contona that one or if you have info where properperson many thanks too.

no prob getting them in bkk...

My German buddy, lifelong biker, has had his over a year.

Very likes.

Reports that the fan blowing hot air on him when stopped is only negative.

Maybe will try reversed fan blade.

White, red, black looks nice.

in another TV thread 29tire.com at Rama 9 Ekkamai is recommended

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/799017-stock-irc-tires-for-cbr250r/

Sport Dragon

http://29tire.com/product-en-1100566-5917899-Pirelli+++Sport+Dragon+rims+17+inches.html

they also have the Diablo Rosso II for 5,500 the pair

http://29tire.com/product-en-1100566-6303512-Pirelli++Diable+Rosso2+Radialino+rims+17+inches.html

but i am leaning (sorry!) towards the Michelin Pilot Street Radials for 5,500 the pair

http://29tire.com/product-en-1098323-5555882-Michelin+Pilot+Street+Radial.html

Edited by taichiplanet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think all that range come with the same or similar IRC's. The CBR150/300/ninja300, not sure about the R3, but I hope not.

To answer that happy, in the Yam dealer yesterday, New R3 had Michelins on it ...good move me thinks.

BTW Happy (from way back) it is 300cc not 302 for the Benelli ...afaik 302 = 300cc 2 cylinder just as 604 = 600cc 4 cylinder. Some countries use this as opposed to TNT, I think India does/did.

Edited by KhruGin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just done a Kanchanaburi trip 880kms bike never missed a beat ...Ban I-tong, Sangklaburi, Sisawat and Mueng Kan. Great roads up here and a great bike for the twisties. Here's a video going up part of the I-Tong road to the 1st viepoint you come to. Handles good and sounds rather nice on a stock exhaust eh.

3450km's done so far and no other problems to report, and dare I say the IRC's seem to have just broken in lol.

Edited by KhruGin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

About a 1000kms done on pair of new tyres, Metzeler Sportec's. Transformed the bike over those excrement IRC's and nice now to have tyres that dig in under braking and that can lean further than my old age confidence. Fitted 3,200 Baht for the pair and recommended.

13K and 2 years 5 months old, no more issues at all. Great bikes for the money.

received_10212262243658310.jpeg

received_10212262250418479.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, alx123 said:

Awesome  bike for its price. Does the lack of ABS bothered you somehow? Or do you find it not essential in using the TNT? 

Sorry for the delay getting back, hardly on TV. TBH I have no problem braking without ABS but then I'm not really qualified to make a comparison as I have never owned a bike with ABS. Rode a bike with ABS once for 10 clicks but never got right into it to find out. As a guess, I think if you are an experienced rider then non-ABS bikes are fine, but I've heard with ABS if yer a bit jumpy on the brakes then it may well keep you out of trouble. So to answer yer question: lack of ABS doesn't bother me at all on the Benelli 300.

Over to someone with more experience of the two that can maybe comment. Cheers.

Thank you for the feedback.

I haven't owned any ABS bikes yet as well but im thinking that my next upgrade should include this feature as I believe it is very useful.

I've been planning to visit the Benelli dealer at Rama 2, very near my place, but haven't find the time yet. 

But the lack of ABS might be the reason why the TNT is fairly priced. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...