Thai Commerce to inspect fast meals in markets as prices remain high

webfact

Commerce to inspect fast meals in markets as prices remain high

209870-imagejpeg-319038-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Commerce is now inspecting the price of ready-to-eat or fast dishes in the markets following complaints that prices remain high although oil prices have been cut many times. It will also summon operators of major shopping malls and raise the price issue with them.

Director general of Internal Trade Department (ITP) Mr Boonyarit Kalayanamit yesterday inspected Po Suwan fresh market in Ramindhra 40 area, and inquired the ready-to-eat food prices there after the public has filed complaints that the price of fast food is expensive, despite the fact that the prices of ingredients have not increased, and oil prices have been cut.

The public has asked that food vendors lower the price of food to be more in line with their lower production costs to be fairer to customers.

The action from the ministry followed question by the prime minister of the high prices of food although oil prices were cut many times, and oil price was quoted as one reason to raise food price in the past.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha also was worried that the price of fast meals at the Royal Thai Army Club is too high, with some dishes already priced as high at 100 baht.

To primarily solve the problem, the ITP has sent officials to investigate the matter.

If the food is found to be sold too expensive without reason, all involved would be punished accordingly, as they would be breaking the laws.

Minister of Commerce General Chatchai Sarikalya, meanwhile, would be inviting different shopping malls for talks and cooperation next week, asking them to decrease the prices of fast food and meals at their food courts.

He stressed, however, that this would not be an underpriced cut, but he would like to ask each mall to consider their production costs, which have been lowered by the decreasing fuel prices, and decrease the price of ready-to-eat meals accordingly.

The commerce minister also asked for cooperation from the public in reporting in any suspicions on overpricing for any products by calling the ministry’s hotline at 1596.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commerce-inspect-fast-meals-markets-prices-remain-high

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-06

What laws are being broken here...and more importantly what products does this apply to? One would assume that if a vendor is by law prevented from setting their prices to reflect their cost, then the rent or lease costs that can be charged to those vendors is also capped as well?

The idea that cost of food is linked solely to the price of oil and fresh products is myopic - over that last 18 months electricity prices have risen from 3.5 baht per unit to 5 baht per unit for example - or by 35%. And don't get me started on Taxis and BTS price rises.

• Like 2

So when a 5 star hotel serve pad thai at 400 baht a plate they are breaking some law as well? Food outlets charge what the market can bear, shouldn't need government to interfere unless there is hoarding and profiteering.

• Like 1

So when a 5 star hotel serve pad thai at 400 baht a plate they are breaking some law as well? Food outlets charge what the market can bear, shouldn't need government to interfere unless there is hoarding and profiteering.

You haven't been in Thailand very long have you? It all seems to have gone over your head.

• Like 1

The Government needs to realize once prices go up they will never come down,

if vendors are forced to cut prices all they will do is reduce the portion size as well.

regards Worgeordie

Most Thais are not that observant. They would be happy with the same numbers for the same price at half the size or of poorer quality.

• Like 1

I thought it would be up to the seller to set the price, and up to the buyer to decide if the price is reasonable and buy, or not.

It should be like that.

A typical example is a small restaurant near my office. It used to be absolutely packed. Good food and single dishes at around 40 baht.

I didn't go there for a couple of months and then when I did go, I noticed that it was almost empty.

I wondered why until I got the bill.

My 40 baht dish cost 85 baht. Now I hardly ever see customers. Won't be long before it closes down.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 2

It's the farangs fault.

I explain, farangs patronizing the NOT Hi-So malls are the blame why that food is priced higher except Terminal 21 which is the cheapest I found in BKK with the biggest menu, cleanliness, never seen a roach, nice atmosphere, and unlimited napkins (not asswhipe) whereas the other NOT Hi-So eating establishment you have to fight the roaches off your plate. The food court in many malls are dying due to neglect, higher prices and dirt. I am sure the Malls operator are also putting the screws on the vendors.

You will see at any given time the illusion of business galore but not really since the chairs are taken by non-paying customers passing the heat and gas, YEAH, too, blame it on Facebook while using free WIFI.

I am a Mall goer.

I say

I have owned a restaurant in the U.S. My suppliers were always very eager to add fuel surcharges every time the gas moved up, which it did quite frequently while I had the restaurant. They moved veryyyyy slowlyyyy in eliminating those surcharges as they went down. You can't keep printing new menus every week, so you took it on the chin every time. Let the customer decide how much he will pay for his food.

• Like 1

It's the farangs fault.

I explain, farangs patronizing the NOT Hi-So malls are the blame why that food is priced higher except Terminal 21 which is the cheapest I found in BKK with the biggest menu, cleanliness, never seen a roach, nice atmosphere, and unlimited napkins (not asswhipe) whereas the other NOT Hi-So eating establishment you have to fight the roaches off your plate. The food court in many malls are dying due to neglect, higher prices and dirt. I am sure the Malls operator are also putting the screws on the vendors.

You will see at any given time the illusion of business galore but not really since the chairs are taken by non-paying customers passing the heat and gas, YEAH, too, blame it on Facebook while using free WIFI.

I am a Mall goer.

I say

If you have not seen roaches in Terminal 21, you just have not looked. They are there in droves, especially in the basement.

• Like 1

I would imagine that a cut in electricity prices would have a bigger effect on reducing food prices both in the markets and maybe even more so in the big retailers.

As mentioned ... Oil prices are low and have been for some time. I wonder when the price of electricity will be reduced?

I would imagine that a cut in electricity prices would have a bigger effect on reducing food prices both in the markets and maybe even more so in the big retailers.

As mentioned ... Oil prices are low and have been for some time. I wonder when the price of electricity will be reduced?

where what is terminal 21 ??

is it in CHM ?

I believe EGAT have a lot of freeloaders so they have to keep up their enormous profits. I never hear about the FT being reduced & in fact I think it was increased not too long ago.

• Like 1

The Government needs to realize once prices go up they will never come down,

if vendors are forced to cut prices all they will do is reduce the portion size as well.

regards Worgeordie

i agree, you pay the asked price and take what you get, adjust your custom accordingly.

mostly i pay over the odds (special price or above) as standard thai serving isnt going to satisfy me. i am more interested in how often i will get some sort of food induced sickness. if i dont get any symptoms i am more willing to go there and more wiling to pay any premium. oh yeah and i avoid any fancy places like the plague as i know i dont have enough face to eat in them AND not be given a contaminated serve at the same time.

well customised by averaged thais is what you need to look for. if the furniture/surrounding/clientèle are too fancy its NOT for farang you or me as the case maybe

Edited by rabid old goat
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hey Minister, has BMTA reduced their bus fare from 8 to 6 baht to reflect the fall in diesel prices?

Au contraire.

Just announced is that the blanket Bt8 fare for conventional city buses under Mass Rapid Transport Authority concessions will be increased by Bt1, while fares for air-conditioned buses will go up by Bt1 for every step of service distance.