What are your plans if you get Cancer?

georgegeorgia

Lots of nonsense being posted here, and gross oversimplifications.

"Cancer" is not a single, uniform entity with the same prognosis. There are many types of cancer and stages within types.

It is often completely curable, especially if caught early. But I think what the OP really meant is "what are your plans if you get terminal cancer" which is a whole other matter.

Chemotherapy is also not all the same. For some cancers, chemo can achieve a full cure. For others, it only extends life but for a meaningful period of time. For still others, it makes very little difference - perhaps on average a month or two more of life -- and that has to be weighted against side effects and time spent in hospital that might have been better spent with family and friends. Chemo also varies greatly in side effects.

In short, there is not one size fits all "cancer" or cancer treatment. One has to look at the specific patient, type of cancer, stage of cancer, potential treatments etc and weigh the pros and cons, which will not be the same in different cases.

I would certainly undergo chemo that had the potential to be curative. I would possibly, perhaps probably (but one doesn't know until it hits) undergo chemo that was likely to provide a significant amount of additional productive time. I would not undergo chemo that had a low probability of adding much productive time.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chemo & other stuff is about 3% real effective , as they cheat the statistics, in stead of 5 years, they take 6 months ...

is it worth dying in pain in a hospital bed & broke ?

check your diet, check what you put in your mouth ...

why so many people give up without a fight

try alternatives first

at a fraction of the cost

get informed, many interesting websites

many cancer cures supressed by big pharma as they only have to lose their big income

Trying "alternatives" first can often cost your life. Look as Steve Jobs..... He thought drinking green tea and meditating would cure his pancreatic cancer even though many Dr's told him he needed surgery. By the time he agreed..... Roughly 9 months later, there was no chance. A prominent Harvard Dr said he would most likely still be alive today if he did not waste 9 months on natural nonsense.

Getting many medical opinions is always a good idea.... But playing games with natural nonsense will not end well the vast majority of the time.

Edited by inbangkok

I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer in 2012. Found a US trained Thai surgeon in BKK to remove it. By 2013 it had spread to my lungs. (another surgery). The metastasis continued and I now have many small tumors in each lung. Surgery or radiation is not possible or recommended. Chemo is offered only as a palliative. I am using some alternative medicines, and traditional Thai medicine and it has slowed the growth of the cancer, so maybe I've got a few more miles left in me. I am not going to go to great lengths and spend my last dime on the cancer industry in order to live a little longer. I feel fine now, but

I am 71 and have had a good run and will do my best to enjoy what's left here in Thailand with my beautiful

Thai wife. After that, bring on the morphine and light the fire at the wat.

For what it's worth, I got excellent care at Bangkok Christian Hospital and Chulalongkorn ( gov't hospital ). I had three surgeries and each required a hospital stay of about three weeks. The charges were very reasonable and amounted to less than my deductible and co-payments under Medicare in the States.

Sorry to know about. I have to admit that sometimes I am scare to death, even thinking that I can be in that situation. Researching news and people online about cancer treatments on the last 5 years in Thailand I had contacts with the Dr. Edy Clinic in Chiang Mai dedicated to alternative treatments, and I was living cross street from the Lampang Cancer Center, that I never used, but I found out that has a very good reputation.

After my experience, if I get cancer again, never will look for treatment in the US, will be in Mexico or Cuba, where many doctors, also from the US, had to install its clinics because some alternative treatments are not licensed in the US, like Oxygen Therapy. Let me know if you need any info from me. I hope everything will go well with you. Keep enjoying life, and avoid stress. Good luck.

I do not want to write all my journey with cancer, but this may help....like second opinions do.

I was very healthy in 2007 in the US. Without any bad symptoms, I got "terminal colon cancer", and after all the testings, the oncologist called for an immediate surgery to remove the splint and half of my stomach. No more comments. Just 3 days before the surgery, and after all my friends "preparations for my funeral", I got lucky. The surgeon told me what that surgery will do it for my future life, and also told me that if he was in my situation he not will do it.

In doing that, he didn't make the money, and also took the risk to lose the connection with the oncologist....probably he saves my life.

I canceled the surgery. I looked for a second opinion with a gastroenterologist. He told me that he can take, without big surgery, part of the big tumor, and wait for my body to fight it with better chances to win, before thinking in do something major.

He did a colonoscopy/surgery. After new testings, the tumor still positive, and the oncologist insisted in doing the big surgery.

The gastroenterologist told me that I need to take time to RELAX. I was with a lot of stress because financial problems with my company. I was broke.

I come to Chiang Mai for 2 month of relax, meditation, and good nutrition. At my return to the US, new testings showed that my tumor was gone and I was FREE of cancer. I retired, and move to Chiang Mai in 2010, to keep a very active life, a perfect health, and living the best time of my life, at 70. with a wonderful 48 years old beautiful Thai wife...that is giving me all the reason to enjoy any time left in my life.

By the way, I am writing this after seating at the table with my in laws, sharing a very spicy menu. The only stomach testing I keep doing for the last 5 years. Never visited a doctor or a hospital again.....

Thank you for sharing this inspiring story with us Umbanda.

I recently read a book by Roger Jahnke called 'The Healer Within'. His 'medicinal tools' are: Movement, Massage, Meditation and Breathing. As a practitioner of Qigong and being fortunate in having an excellent therapeutic masseuse for a wife, I know which route I shall be taking should I ever fall victim to cancer (Or any other illness). I recommend this book to anyone who may be concerned about their current, or future health.

Thanks again Umbanda and my best wishes for the future.

I am not sure, and I never will, why after 2 months of intense meditation in Buddhist temples, living in relaxing Homestay in Chiang Mai, and having just a good and pleasant time, my tumor was gone. The oncologist said that only a 'miracle" can explain it. But, one year before my diagnosis, I traveled to assist a funeral of a young and strong sportsman. He had brain cancer, and I found out in his room a small book, probably his last reading, called " Water Peroxide, The Miracle Healer " He died after suffering from surgery, radiation, etc, etc. Reading that, makes me aware that Medicine is in hands of big pharma, and not for people's best interest.

When I moved to Thailand for good in 2010, my concern was to stay active, and was not easy not able to work here, and I used my time in research about cancer, stress, alternative treatments, etc...even if I am not in the medical field. Just for fun, I started a project in Thailand, a wellness retreat focused in pass my healing experience. Never happens, but keep my mind busy most of the times and makes me meet very interesting people with the same interest. A Thai/American meditation and yoga practicioner based in the US is coming in March to Chiang Mai to meet me just to talk about. Life can start all over again...after cancer..and at any age. Sometimes changing for a lot better life. Who knows?

Edited by umbanda

The bbc claims 50% of people born after 1960 will contract cancer, due to our environment this could sadly be true.

That includes people who have pre-cancerous spots on their forehead.

100% of those spots can be cured in 3 minutes with nitrogen spray.

Seems a bit naughty to include those figures with liver cancer, etc.

MAKE a Living Will so that my life is not prolonged by life support

MAKE a Last Will so that I dont leave a headache for those left behind to sort out my messy affairs

READ THE ABOVE AGAIN - Homer

Get out the bucket list and do a few of them

NEVER take Chemo

Eat drink and be general in XS if I can - then pull the plug

go to the temple and pray to come back as some gay persons dog as I know I will live in a nice house and get pampered to death

I have prostate cancer (T3b) which basically means advanced but slow progressing. I read on hear people saying how they would not take any meds, no radiation treatment etc Drink cannabis oil or drink a glass of carrot juice to cure it etc (or the power of the mind..) Trust me, when you're told you got cancer your whole perspective on it changes! There're a few people commenting on their cancers and I would bet any money they feel the same. Once you get cancer everybody suddenly becomes an expert "eat cooked tomatoes" and "have turmeric" and so on and while everybody has great intentions, would you risk your life to a can of tomatoes or get the radiation treatment? Not all chemo is bad these days either, I have a friend who is on courses of chemo tablets, he's doing fine! While there might well be a cure for cancer by eating leafy greens or something I don't know anybody who has had the bottle to try it when they've actually been diagnosed! On the other hand, there is a definite plus point and that is that you're putting yourself back in control of your life a bit. I did everything, turmeric in coconut milk with cinnamon and pineapple and so on. But there was no way I was trusting my life to it so I had (am having) treatments and supplementing it with these things. 50% of us/you will get cancer it's reckoned, but for the first time ever there is a 50% success rate in mortality. As my oncologist told me, the aim is that you die with it, not from it!

I agree. The treatments are brutal to rid the body of cancer and that is why people scratch desperately at alternatives.

But those treatments are getting better; my cancer would have been a death sentence just 40 years ago, but I am "cured."

The next generation of cancer patients will be better off than we were because of how much researchers learn.

I'm frankly insulted when people tell me I should have just smoked hash oil instead of getting the treatment I did.

I have prostate cancer (T3b) which basically means advanced but slow progressing. I read on hear people saying how they would not take any meds, no radiation treatment etc Drink cannabis oil or drink a glass of carrot juice to cure it etc (or the power of the mind..) Trust me, when you're told you got cancer your whole perspective on it changes! There're a few people commenting on their cancers and I would bet any money they feel the same. Once you get cancer everybody suddenly becomes an expert "eat cooked tomatoes" and "have turmeric" and so on and while everybody has great intentions, would you risk your life to a can of tomatoes or get the radiation treatment? Not all chemo is bad these days either, I have a friend who is on courses of chemo tablets, he's doing fine! While there might well be a cure for cancer by eating leafy greens or something I don't know anybody who has had the bottle to try it when they've actually been diagnosed! On the other hand, there is a definite plus point and that is that you're putting yourself back in control of your life a bit. I did everything, turmeric in coconut milk with cinnamon and pineapple and so on. But there was no way I was trusting my life to it so I had (am having) treatments and supplementing it with these things. 50% of us/you will get cancer it's reckoned, but for the first time ever there is a 50% success rate in mortality. As my oncologist told me, the aim is that you die with it, not from it!

I agree. The treatments are brutal to rid the body of cancer and that is why people scratch desperately at alternatives.

But those treatments are getting better; my cancer would have been a death sentence just 40 years ago, but I am "cured."

The next generation of cancer patients will be better off than we were because of how much researchers learn.

I'm frankly insulted when people tell me I should have just smoked hash oil instead of getting the treatment I did.

I agree, it is a bit insulting when you get the "just drink 9 cups of carrot juice every day and you'll be fine" advice but I guess people mean well. Mine won't be cured, but it will be managed which is fantastic when we consider the alternative! Good luck Duane!

Whatever works for someone to get better or to control what they have is okay by me.

Some people have been successful with mainstream medicine only whilst others have combined mainstream with alternative and still others have used only alternative medicine to overcome or live with their disease.

Personally I wouldn't take any treatment that does me more harm than good. I value quality of life over everything.

I agree, it is a bit insulting when you get the "just drink 9 cups of carrot juice every day and you'll be fine" advice but I guess people mean well. Mine won't be cured, but it will be managed which is fantastic when we consider the alternative! Good luck Duane!

Yes, i'm in the same boat...wont be cured..and agree about the "fine advice"

My own experience..I was given tainted blood [Hep C] by blood transfusion back in mid '80's in Oz .Was basically unknown then and was called non A-nonB and not taken too seriously at that time.Long story short now ,all these years later i am at the point where i am just about beaten. Advanced stage edging on to Last stage.I had cirrhosis previously from heavy drinking so i am told this has added to my dilemma.

Five years ago my hepatologist gave me 'possibly' two years of living.Obviously i have passed his predicted use by date, but now my life is lived in the most simplistic manner doing very little as energy levels are so low and tolerance to many previously tolerable happenings in daily life is greatly diminished.

Good days and bad days, but life goes on as best i can.

I fully understand what others go through and i wouldn't wish a cancer on my worst enemy..[except maybe one!]

PS As for my plans..i plan to live as long as i can/want too..i have a few problems [people] that will be addressed before i go...then..what will be will be.

Edited by andreandre

My own experience..I was given tainted blood [Hep C] by blood transfusion back in mid '80's in Oz .Was basically unknown then and was called non A-nonB and not taken too seriously at that time.Long story short now ,all these years later i am at the point where i am just about beaten. Advanced stage edging on to Last stage.I had cirrhosis previously from heavy drinking so i am told this has added to my dilemma.

Five years ago my hepatologist gave me 'possibly' two years of living.Obviously i have passed his predicted use by date, but now my life is lived in the most simplistic manner doing very little as energy levels are so low and tolerance to many previously tolerable happenings in daily life is greatly diminished.

I fully understand what others go through and i wouldn't wish a cancer on my worst enemy..[except maybe one!]

wow.. bad luck brother. I wish you a comfortable end with friends around you. I saw it on a film once and I'm going to do the same. When I'm that situation I'm having a 'wake' before I go so I can join in. Hopefully that won't be for while yet of course. But that's what I'm soing.

Cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence.

Early stage cancers can be controlled in many cases.

Even chemo can work for some cancers.

eg testicular cancer has a good response rate to chemo

If you get a late stage cancer get yourself over to one of the great cancer clinics they have in Germany.

They use many treatments that can prolong life and in some cases they get remissions without poisoning your body with high doses of chemo and radiation.

If you have a few years to live then there is always a chance to return the body to normal. Thousands of people have turned around their late stage cancers and gone on to live long lives.

Read Dr Kelleys One Answer to Cancer.

He had thousands of documented cases of late stage cancer patients who lived long lives.

He used a combination of diet based on metabolic type, detoxification and high dose pancreatic enzymes along with vitamins and supplements.

The diet varied according to metabolic type with some people responding better with high meat diet and others with a vegetarian diet. Dextox including liver, gallbladder, kidney flushes, skin brushing, intestinal purges, Epsom salt baths, daily coffee enemas. High dose pancreatic enzymes were taken to kill the cancer in the body and various minerals and vitamins taken to help support the body.

There is always hope.

You're peddling snake oil here!

A load of rubbish. People are so scared of cancer they'll grasp at any straw!

It's simple. If i had the power the build it in my body then obviously i have the power to destroy it. That's what i would do.

As a cancer survivor I found your comment ignorant, condescending, and outright rude.

"Let your body fight it by itself" arguments lead to death.

Please read the report the John Hopkins Institute published some years ago about cancer.

With so many kinds of cancer, and on different stages, it is not easy to make decisions about treatments available, but no doubts that our bodies have the power to heal serious deceases. The Institute report, from probably the biggest Hospital and Research Center in the US, told about this, even saying that in our life time we can get more than 10 malign tumors and we never know, because its do not developed. Our immune system took care. And we know what to do to help our body....and many do not do it. If a smoker do not get cancer, it is because its was just lucky.

After my experience, and others, sometimes is a lot better not to know if you got cancer. How many times a small problem becomes big after surgery, radiation and chemo...and that is what most oncologist will prescribe, because its are making money with that.

My journey with cancer was very long. I wrote about, and it is online, and was not easy to decide what to do. But, after a lot of bad experiences with doctors, and a lot of research, I healed by myself....but...I have to say that I was lucky too. Not magic "recipes" to cure cancer. My only advice will be to take the time, and no rush following the first doctor opinion. Doctors, like any professional, may make BIG mistakes....irreversible mistakes.

The John Hopkins report is a well documented urban myth.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/cancerupdate.asp

I believe doctors are giving you the best advice they can, regardless of profit.

If you healed yourself, fantastic! but I took the proven road and I'm alive

A co-worker of mine eschewed the doctors and decided a celery diet was going to cure her of her stage 1 cancer; she died 6 months later from a readily curable cancer.

But do what you want, just don't tell me my choice of traditional treatment which saved my live was "wrong."

Yes your right people are desperate,especialy if there young.

There were those places popping up in the Phillipines were doing "Psychic operations " remember them?

Of course they were using chicken liver etc where they would pretend to take it out and clean it.

Im going to tell you that with the Cancer patients i visited that had advanced Cancer they preferred the eunthasia clinic.

Andreandre Sorry to hear of your condition,are you back in Australia?

Edited by georgegeorgia

If you get a late stage cancer get yourself over to one of the great cancer clinics they have in Germany.

They use many treatments that can prolong life and in some cases they get remissions without poisoning your body with high doses of chemo and radiation.

If you have a few years to live then there is always a chance to return the body to normal. Thousands of people have turned around their late stage cancers and gone on to live long lives.

He had thousands of documented cases of late stage cancer patients who lived long lives.

He used a combination of diet based on metabolic type, detoxification and high dose pancreatic enzymes along with vitamins and supplements.

The diet varied according to metabolic type with some people responding better with high meat diet and others with a vegetarian diet. Dextox including liver, gallbladder, kidney flushes, skin brushing, intestinal purges, Epsom salt baths, daily coffee enemas. High dose pancreatic enzymes were taken to kill the cancer in the body and various minerals and vitamins taken to help support the body.

There is always hope.

I am not peddling anything.

Dr Kelley had thousands of documented cases of remission from late stage cancer using his protocol.

His protocol is used by Dr Gonzalez these days who incidentally spent five years going through Dr Kelleys patient records when he was a research student at Cornell back in the 1980s with a view to exposing the 'quack'.

Instead he was so impressed with Dr Kelleys results that when Kelley retired he started a practice using Dr Kelleys methods.

If it is not too invasive, I would try a 30-60 day water fast. Not much to lose at that point. A friend of mine beat a very serious prostate cancer with this method. Completely disappeared. Many feel that cancer is simply a very toxic condition in the body, so it is possible to beat it. If it was very serious, I would just allow it to take its course. I would avoid chemo and radiation, as that would only add a year or two most likely, and would not want my family to have to hear the burden of that silly expense.

Edited by spidermike007

would seem like with less malpractice lawyers, morphine, would/should be given, if anything, more liberally.

at the ER, in severe pain, no CA dx = no morphine?

georgegeorgia -- I've been with a number of cancer victims at the end here in Thailand and the lucky ones get morphine. Not everyone does. I've witnessed some awful deaths. So, please don't beat yourself up about accepting morphine for your Mum. You did the right thing. I've been with cancer victims who would have been so thankful for the final gift of morphine.

why were they not allowed morphine?

They were not given morphine because their cancer had never been properly diagnosed or staged. They had neglected getting treatment, waiting too long to get help and then when they were finally brought to hospital all that was treated were the obvious symptoms, but since the cancer hadn't been properly staged (or in some cases even really diagnosed -- just "suspected" but they lacked funds for proper diagnosis) they weren't given morphine even though it was obvious they were in pain.

I would research it endlessly, if traditional treatment had a chance to beat it, I would go that route, but if there were alternative foods that you could take, and we're not harmful, I would try that also. If course my age would also be a factor. At 64 I'd like to see a few more years, at 84 maybe not as much, and at 94, what will be will be.

would seem like with less malpractice lawyers, morphine, would/should be given, if anything, more liberally.

at the ER, in severe pain, no CA dx = no morphine?

They were not given morphine because their cancer had never been properly diagnosed or staged. They had neglected getting treatment, waiting too long to get help and then when they were finally brought to hospital all that was treated were the obvious symptoms, but since the cancer hadn't been properly staged (or in some cases even really diagnosed -- just "suspected" but they lacked funds for proper diagnosis) they weren't given morphine even though it was obvious they were in pain.

Thai medical practuce is still in the dark ages when it comes to pain relief. There is great reluctance to prescribe narcotics.

Alwyn

wow.. bad luck brother. I wish you a comfortable end with friends around you. I saw it on a film once and I'm going to do the same. When I'm that situation I'm having a 'wake' before I go so I can join in. Hopefully that won't be for while yet of course. But that's what I'm soing.

Thank you for your wishe an d same to you and others from me.... Yes a party first and off you go...great way to exit IMO...I'm fortunate in that i'm a life/foundation member of a huge club that has gone worldwide over the years and have 'brothers' to take care of business for me and on behalf of me if needed. When and where and how i exit is planned and though a bit variable [when to go , especially] There is no cure at my stage but i have no fear..it is what it is.

Edited by andreandre

There is always hope.

Dr Kelley had thousands of documented cases of remission from late stage cancer using his protocol.

His protocol is used by Dr Gonzalez these days who incidentally spent five years going through Dr Kelleys patient records when he was a research student at Cornell back in the 1980s with a view to exposing the 'quack'.

Instead he was so impressed with Dr Kelleys results that when Kelley retired he started a practice using Dr Kelleys methods.

Run "Dr" Kelley's name through quackwatch and see the results. If you want to believe the crap he's spouting go ahead.....I'd rather live.

There is always hope.

Run "Dr" Kelley's name through quackwatch and see the results. If you want to believe the crap he's spouting go ahead.....I'd rather live.

Up to you my friend.

Quackwatch is a joke anyway that guy has no credibility and has lost numerous law suites.

As I said Dr Kelley had thousands of documented cases.

Here is a great link on Dr Kelley and whether he is a quack or not.

https://truthbreakdown.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/dr-william-kelley-snake-oil-quack-or-maligned-genius/

Edited by Tolley

Yes your right people are desperate,especialy if there young.

There were those places popping up in the Phillipines were doing "Psychic operations " remember them?

Of course they were using chicken liver etc where they would pretend to take it out and clean it.

Im going to tell you that with the Cancer patients i visited that had advanced Cancer they preferred the eunthasia clinic.

Andreandre Sorry to hear of your condition,are you back in Australia?

Thanks...No i'm staying in Thailand until the last possible minute...life is much easier here [for me at least]....I don't want to burden my family and friends at home ....they all understand this, not all agree but it is my call...

Regardless of my health, I'd live my life to the fullest.

Agree with that, and i do but an insidious illness such as cancers make ''fullest'' now a fraction of what ''fullest'' used to be....Liver cancer takes all your energy, all your hope and so many other lifes pleasures away...you get to the point that i'm now at ,that just existing day to day is considered living life to the fullest.. believe me, its far from ''fullest"" and you can't do anything about it!!!!