Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

Do agree, however, we have seen and know, what a Thai woman with a more softer tone rather than an in-you-face attitude can do with Thai males...

In a different province where they do freeway checks like this.. sometimes with the police volunteers or whatever, generally I have noticed a more compliant attitude works...

Then again I have seen ..no lie.. police going into the wallets of young people for tea money..

At a university in the south.. a certain police station lurks close by.. The BIB occassionally set up the road block a few meters away from the exit.. docking the students for not wearing a helmet and collecting..

Student make sure to hide their money of take only what is required....

Thus they adjust.. does not make it right.. of course, but they adjust.. and at times... they like to make it a game to out smart the BIB.

attachicon.gifNetherlands Army Knife.jpg

I'm sitting in the computer room of a local bank in Bangkok. I have a knife like this in my backpack (mine has "KL 85"). I have been carrying it for many years now, even when I finish work and have a quick beer before going home.

I even have to admit I had it with me when we had the opening of TVF Lounge a few months ago (sorry George wai.gif ).

Will this (self) confession ban me from TVF? Should I turn myself in with the police?

What this had to do with Dutch and Swiss Army knife? Well the Netherlands Army handed them out to anyone serving, even to draftees like myself.

Mine with KL85 looks more like the Swiss knife, like this one here

post-58-0-13552600-1423242952_thumb.jpg

If I get my scanner to work tomorrow I might even scan my own one which also has the Swiss Cross.

Welcome to the New Thailand, where peace and safety reigns and happiness has been returned to the people.

Would love hear Costas and Djjamie's take on this latest measure to keep Thailand safe.

Jesus mate, don't tempt them.. I can read it now..

"The Swiss Army knife is the favoured weapon of the UDD Terrorists in Kohn Kaen as it's .... it's ....well it's red, so it has to be a PTP/UDD weapon!!

post-156787-0-58181400-1423249007_thumb.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Didn't look like a Swiss Army knife to me. Carrying that concealed in some states in the US would end you you in jail for a felony, not just a fine. Blade looked to be 5+ inches

You know, John; the problem with most people is that even-though they have perfectly good eyes & vision; somehow they don't see . . . . .Thank God this does not apply to us "Ex Intelligence Chaps", hey ?

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In defense of those Police Officers;

1) It clearly shows in that VDO that the knife in question is NOT a "Swiss Army Knife" !

2) The knife that IS clearly visible is about 3 X the size of a "Swiss Army Knife" !

3) The cops on site, behaved very professionally and calmly, but

4) The Thai female Passenger was NOT very polite, but rather VERY arrogant & condescending towards the courteous cops and even exclaimed at some point during her tirade, that she was "a Citizen of The Netherlands" . . . . . - She also intimated that she carried that knife for "Self-Protection".

5) Under Thai (most any nations's Laws) there IS a max. allowable "Blade-Length" making the distinction between a (Peel My Apple Knife" versus "Potentially Dangerous Weapon" knife.

5) For clarity's sake, I attach a comparison picture of what people perceive to be a Swiss Army Knife and then, the knife in question:

Swiss Army Knife's blade is approx. 5 cm in length.

VDO shown knife appears to be approx. 15 cm in length.

The ONLY problem with this Post, therefore, is the Heading; it should have NOT have included the words "SWISS ARMY KNIFE", because it wasn't ! ! !

As Churchill put it so brilliantly:

. . . For everything that happens in this world, there's a logical explanation . . . . . . .

. . . and THEN; there's the truth . . . . . . .

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Sorry should have looked before posting , that's a Lock knife not a Swiss Army, and saying a weapon that can quite easily kill is for "Self defense" is even more stupid that I first thought

How does anyone buys a knife in Thailand. Do we need to apply for a knife license?

If the police logic fits, it would make it illegal to sell such knife in the street. You will noticed at the airport, serial Swiss style pocket knives I the not for boarding bin. I wonder of those people also got fined. Several years ago I once carried a utilizing knife which heading to board a flight. I didn't know it was in my bag at the time. The security screener spotted the knife and placed it in plastic bag and told me to pick it up from the crew upon my arrival at Chiang Mau. I am sure they don't do that any more.

I think the bottom line is that Thai police have been out of practice of being honest that they forget how to honestly enforce the law. Even their interpretation of the law is very muddle and shows you that they can pin anything on you in return for bribe money.

What a lousy excuse by the cop and not admitting their mistake. It really sends an unclear message to whether or not a knife like tool can be carried in the public. Besides the tool is still inside a private car and not yet out in public. And it's clearly a utility knife and mainly used for emergency purpose. I wonder if vendors of such a knife in Thailand like the sporting good stores ever advise the consumers of the legality of carrying such a tool.

• Like 1

Tens of thousands of Thais carry a handgun in their car under the seat or console. Just another shakedown of a foreigner.. The Dutchman was wise keeping his mouth shut.

His stupid Thai woman wouldnt stop babbling and goading the cops.

She is not Dutch. She's a Thai with a farang passport. A Thai is always a Thai in Thailand.

I dont think the Dutchy could understand what his wife or partner was saying.

I presume they communicate in Dutch. LOL

Edited by jalansanitwong
  • Like 1

The common name for that type tool is "leatherman". Go to any Tesco, BigC and you will find them in the tool section. Its approx 10cm in length not 15. &lt;deleted&gt; cops got nothing better to do but harass people.....happens all the time.

They had to fine them because they couldn't suffer the ignominy of backing down once a biggish deal was made of this on camera. The way this place is heading, they were lucky they weren't banged up and/or shaken down for 10,000 baht. One thing's for sure, had the female kept her mouth shut and stop getting in the cop's' face, they might have got off.

In defense of those Police Officers;

1) It clearly shows in that VDO that the knife in question is NOT a "Swiss Army Knife" !

2) The knife that IS clearly visible is about 3 X the size of a "Swiss Army Knife" !

3) The cops on site, behaved very professionally and calmly, but

4) The Thai female Passenger was NOT very polite, but rather VERY arrogant & condescending towards the courteous cops and even exclaimed at some point during her tirade, that she was "a Citizen of The Netherlands" . . . . . - She also intimated that she carried that knife for "Self-Protection".

5) Under Thai (most any nations's Laws) there IS a max. allowable "Blade-Length" making the distinction between a (Peel My Apple Knife" versus "Potentially Dangerous Weapon" knife.

5) For clarity's sake, I attach a comparison picture of what people perceive to be a Swiss Army Knife and then, the knife in question:

Swiss Army Knife's blade is approx. 5 cm in length.

VDO shown knife appears to be approx. 15 cm in length.

The ONLY problem with this Post, therefore, is the Heading; it should have NOT have included the words "SWISS ARMY KNIFE", because it wasn't ! ! !

As Churchill put it so brilliantly:

. . . For everything that happens in this world, there's a logical explanation . . . . . . .

. . . and THEN; there's the truth . . . . . . .

coffee1.gif

Yes, from reading the post title I was agreeing with the majority of posters, but after watching the full video that knife would not be what I call a typical Swiss Army knife or at least what we assume when you hear that term. With the blade length, It would be illegal in many jurisdictions especially after big mouth says it's for protection.

In this case, the RTP was actually lenient if only charged them a 500 baht fine. That's an easy fine to carry a concealed weapon. Yes, I know there are many larger garden and cooking tools that could be more effective in a fight, but intended purpose has bearing under the law just like killing with a car vs. a sawed off shotgun.

• Like 2

How does anyone buys a knife in Thailand. Do we need to apply for a knife license?

Just go to lower Suk and you'll see for sale Rambo knives, tasers, knuckle dusters and a whole host of things designed to take out anything with a pulse.

I sometimes carry a hoe in the tray of my pickup. Isn't that a weapon?

What about a my tire iron? I think either of these items could do a lot more damage than a pocket knife.

Your tools are for working

The fool of a woman said the knife was for self defence

If she said it was for cutting fruit she would have no trouble

Meanwhile, anyone can buy "gardening tools" all over Thailand ;-)

20141010_105404.jpg

I guess I will carry in the future 1 of these nice gardening tools in my car and if the police stop me, then I will tell them, that I use it to cut weed in my garden regularily and actually I'm on the way to my garden. whistling.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1