Alleged Nigerian romance scam gang leader nabbed for duping Thai women to wire over Bt10m

Thaivisa News

Jeez. These Nigerians are so "shifty".

There are some good Nigerians.

But there are so many low life Nigerians in the media, the country and it's people have lost any respect and credibility they may have once had.

The good don't understand that they are responsible as well since they and their government do nothing to reel in the sleaze balls and reprimand them in any way.

Some even consider the scammers as heros.

When a country and it's people do nothing to protect their international reputation.

This reputation is what they end up with.

• Like 2

'Mark Hall' ... a typically Belgian name... biggrin.png how about Edward Jones ? John Matthews ? Paddy Mulloney ? Scott McGuire ?

Mind you, even if he'd called himself Hercule Poirot, the Thai lady would probably have fallen for the scam anyway...

She fell for the scam because she was looking forward to those 'expensive gifts'... Scammers always play on greed. It's the pot scamming the kettle black.

• Like 1

I am 81 and after dealing with black people, many from Nigeria, as their Insurance Agent/landlord/neighbor, for almost 70 years in Chicago, the black murder capital city in the US, I can honestly say I have never met a truly honest one and, am sorry, to see their increased presence in Thailand.

So you were an insurance agent at the age of 11? Honestly?

clap2.gif ... and it must said that too many insurance agents are nothing but legalized scammers... especially 11 year-old insurance agents.

• Like 1

Nigerian based internet scammers are legend without doubt. But it is a bit perverse that that method is taken seriously as criminal in Thailand when similar methods byso many Thai women are basically ignored despite complaint. Sadly it seems to be dependant on the direction of the cash flow rather than the significance of any legal issue. And yet at least these women were willing to invest in the dream.

• Like 1

what crime dod he actually do?If somebody is so stupid and sends money to a stranger because he he says so then whats the crime?

g

Since it was an (criminal) enterprise established for the purposes of deceiving people to gain their wealth with promises they never intended to keep I'd say it was fraud. Something Nigerians are known for.

• Like 1

what crime dod he actually do?If somebody is so stupid and sends money to a stranger because he he says so then whats the crime?

What crime? Oh my goodness, I don't know the laws in whatever country you're from, and I mean that respectfully, but this is certainly a crime in the U.S. It's fraud on both a local and federal level. Federal, because of wire fraud. When the internet is used to defraud someone from money, it is assumed that the communication has traveled across state lines. And emails are documents. If I sent you a document that says you have valuable merchandise waiting for you but you need to pay me a lot of money to retrieve it, and there IS no merchandise,that's most definitely criminal fraud.

• Like 1

Shame upon me.

I fell victim to such a con artist once, 10 years ago or so. Luckily for a limited amount.

The Nigerian guy called me several times on the phone. Had a sombre voice and kept calling me "brother" which in his dialect sounds like "bradde". I got suspicious when he wanted me to buy him a new laptop to be smuggled into his prison cell where he was allegedly waiting it out as a member of a political family fallen in disgrace.

I have since turned the tables on them.

Whenever a mail comes in from a rich, dying widow who wants to make a charity donation, or some lawyer who tells me about an inheritance, or some UN or Coca Cola compensation fund, I send them a mail myself. Goes approximately like this:

RECANT AND TURN BACK FROM THE PATH OF EVIL! IT IS NOT TOO LATE. THE LORD WELCOMES EVERYBODY WHO BREAKS ONCE AND FOR ALL WITH THE DEVIL AND RETURNS TO AN HONORABLE LIFE

etc.pp.

and then: "For a modest contribution, I am willing to help you! What do you want with that ill-gotten money anyway? Do you think it will make you happy? No, it will BURN YOUR SOUL every instant...!"

Guess what, there are really some who reply and offer me their money in return for spiritual help

Never thought it was THAT easy...

FYI if anybody s interested, no, I am not pulling the scheme through.

Does this same equation apply to foreigners who lose all their savings spending on sick buffaloes?

Stupid is the key word, is it?

cheesy.gif

Edit

Reading some of the above posts some people are rejoicing on the misery of others !

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

So actually the British government should be held responsible for the Nigerian scams?

Definitely! Great Britain, The British Empire etc etc have a lot to answer to the misery of millions of humans.

Just history. Not my words.

mrmicbkktxl, on 07 Feb 2015 - 15:51, said:

Unbelievably stupid comment from someone so perfect.

Are you freaking brain dead or what's the matter with you mate ? You actually believe there's no crime committed here...... Maybe these <deleted> should approach you and succeed taking you to the cleaners then we talk again..... Talking through your hot hole...

Just Fraud and Money Laundering. And probably something covered by the Thai Computers Crimes Act as well. Is that enough to keep you happy?

Edited by Time Traveller

Black on black crime is off the charts in chicago.. Contrary to what the media tells you blacks lives in chicago really dont matter. They just keep reproducing and collecting welfare.

One might say they know what they are doing-gaming the system and laughing all the way to the food stamp bank..........................

Im just the messenger so pleaes dont shoot me. I got my hands up DONT SHOOT!

I believe it is called obtaining money by deception.wai.gif

Wow that happens every day in Thailand, people should be charged for stupidity more like it

Run all these Nigerian scum into the sea so they can swim back to Africa !!! They are the worst of the worst no good Oxygen Thieves and deserves NOTHING better than to rot in Nigeria on a over crouded trash site.

Very true, but they can only scam the un- educated naive greedy people mostly, so idiots should take a little more responsibility too

I hope that this Nigerian fellow enjoys jail, and gets to meet big Bubba there, he will go in

with his bum like . and leave with the new 0. Have a good time in jail you scumbag!

In my country there are phone scams, and letter scams from Nigeria, and it

makes me wonder why? What kind of country is Nigeria? What kind of

people live there, and why are they so good at scamming? Do they have

a great mafia type group who employs lots of them in factory style

settings so they can do this kind of crime? Just wondering?

• Like 2

No crime if you're a moron, fraud if you're not. Don't suppose you are Nigerian, are you?

Edited by Sviss Geez

and how many Billions of THB were located in similar way by Thai woman

and forced many foreigners to bankrupcy, even to to suicide ??

who will court them ? their partner - RTP ??

In a similar way?...probably none. Unless you know of some cases where Thai women have been arrested for similar crimes of fraud.

I would assume by law a thai would be entiteled to the same investigation/arrest had he been scamming a foreigner.

Nevertheless, what would happen is the RTP laughing their asses off while thinking "som nam na, stupid farang".

I think you'll find there is a difference between the Nigerian scammers who actually commit crimes and men who willingly give money and assets to Thai women for whatever reason without complaint.