Beach Holiday Advice: Help!

Swampypoom

I have been researching ideas for either Chumpon or Trat and I am not quite sold on either.

I definitely want to take a cooking class at Blue Lagoon in Koh Chang and that will be a short visit.

I am searching for beauty, tranquility, and some convenience such as short distance by bicycle or moderate walking distances to local markets and maybe some shopping. I don't want to be surrounded by tourist numbers in the hundreds, so this vacation is meant for relaxation. It's my vacation so money isn't so much a concern, but I want to be safe and comfortable and I would love some clear water and white sand for a nice backdrop.

I don't care which coast as I will simply fly to the nearest airport and take ground or rail transportation, if needed. Catamaran would be fun, too!!

Thank you all in advance whom take time to respond. =]

Took the cooking class at Blue Lagoon back in '07 when Ya and her husband ran it. They left maybe four years ago, selling to some French folk, and when I went by last summer the place looked like hell. Might want to check into it before you commit.

Took the cooking class at Blue Lagoon back in '07 when Ya and her husband ran it. They left maybe four years ago, selling to some French folk, and when I went by last summer the place looked like hell. Might want to check into it before you commit.

Wow! That's sad to hear! It seemed so promising this cooking school. I've always wanted to take a Thai Cooking Class... Any suggestions for anywhere in Thailand? I will fly anywhere in Thailand to attend the best overall.

Thank you again for your warning about Blue Lagoon!!

Katathani Hotel essentially owns Kata Noi Beach and it is within walking distance of Kata Beach which has all the commerce you could want. Le Meridien near Patong Beach also has an essentially private beach. Naithon Beach just south of Phuket airport is nice. Hua Hin is nice but I liked some of the smaller beach towns further south. For total solitude Chao Mai west of Trang is a lovely beach and totally deserted but you will need transport. Some nice islands just off the coast there.

I can recommend Suwannee Thai Cooking Class in Chiang Rai. She has a very good cooking class that is very popular. I took it myself back in August 2013.

http://suwanneethaicookingclasschiangrai.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suwannee-Thai-Cooking-Class-chiangrai/198392536876963

I've never been to Northern Thailand, so this will be a bonus for me! Thank you!

Katathani Hotel essentially owns Kata Noi Beach and it is within walking distance of Kata Beach which has all the commerce you could want. Le Meridien near Patong Beach also has an essentially private beach. Naithon Beach just south of Phuket airport is nice. Hua Hin is nice but I liked some of the smaller beach towns further south. For total solitude Chao Mai west of Trang is a lovely beach and totally deserted but you will need transport. Some nice islands just off the coast there.

I have really enjoyed my time in Kata. I don't mind the nightlife once in a while, but not entirely, so I avoid areas such as Patong and Pattaya. So much more to see in Thailand, but I may return to Kata as I really had a nice time there!

What is your priority? The beach or a cooking class? We're in CM now and there are lots of options for cooking classes and it's a great city to explore. But...no beach here.

I love Koh Chang, but it's very touristy. Great if you just want to chill on the beach. But not many places to explore and definitely no big markets to explore.

There's some lovely beaches in Chumpon for a relaxing stay, my fave I can't remember the Thai name but it translates as 'taking the cow for a walk' beach. White sand, clean and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Try Cha Am, which is about two hours south west of Bangkok on the Gulf of Thailand. It's peaceful and quiet but has great beaches, dozens of good restaurants, seafood restaurants aplenty and a couple of very goof fresh markets. Plus heaps of supermarkets and 7-11s. I've stayed in a condo called Beachside at Baan Talay Samran, a really nice place about 4kms north of the town - far enough away to be quiet and peaceful but close enough on a scooter for shopping etc. It's right on one of the best beaches in Thailand - very clean - and t here are three great swimming pools. Cha Am is about 20 kms north of Hua Hin which is a pretty big town of about 100,000 people and I'm sure there are cooking schools there.

What is your priority? The beach or a cooking class? We're in CM now and there are lots of options for cooking classes and it's a great city to explore. But...no beach here.

I love Koh Chang, but it's very touristy. Great if you just want to chill on the beach. But not many places to explore and definitely no big markets to explore.

I would like both as passion for cooking is on top alongside a relaxed beach holiday. Money is not an object as this is my vacation so I will travel anywhere inside Thailand to meet both goals. I am a fan of aviation so all I seek is genuine advice to fulfill both requirements of a reputable cooking class and a beautiful beach away from the tourists.

I lived 4 years at Hat Thung Wua Laen 15kms North of Chumpon.

Nothing to write home about, quit beach, not very clean, lots of sand flies.

Maybe nicer beaches North (ban Krut?) or South (Lang Suan?)

Between ban krut or lang suan which do you prefer and where to stay?

I don't think you'll find your 2 needs in the same place. If you have the time, do a cooking course in say Chiang Mai or Bangkok to experience the markets as well.Then Finnish with a few days on a quiet beach in Koh chang.

I only use air transport within Thailand so can you name specific places for beach destination sand cooking school?

There's some lovely beaches in Chumpon for a relaxing stay, my fave I can't remember the Thai name but it translates as 'taking the cow for a walk' beach. White sand, clean and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you can find out would be great. Thank you!

Try Cha Am, which is about two hours south west of Bangkok on the Gulf of Thailand. It's peaceful and quiet but has great beaches, dozens of good restaurants, seafood restaurants aplenty and a couple of very goof fresh markets. Plus heaps of supermarkets and 7-11s. I've stayed in a condo called Beachside at Baan Talay Samran, a really nice place about 4kms north of the town - far enough away to be quiet and peaceful but close enough on a scooter for shopping etc. It's right on one of the best beaches in Thailand - very clean - and t here are three great swimming pools. Cha Am is about 20 kms north of Hua Hin which is a pretty big town of about 100,000 people and I'm sure there are cooking schools there.

Thank you I will check

Wow! That's sad to hear! It seemed so promising this cooking school. I've always wanted to take a Thai Cooking Class... Any suggestions for anywhere in Thailand? I will fly anywhere in Thailand to attend the best overall.

Thank you again for your warning about Blue Lagoon!!

I'll PM you where a beautiful beach is, just don't tell anybody else. thumbsup.gif

Blue Lagoon was once beautiful. Half day cooking classes, 800 baht. I went five mornings, learning many dishes, and Ya gave me Friday for free.

But as usual, devious employees ruined that. Ya's teachers worked two years, saw she was making anywhere between 5000 and 20,000 baht a day, and got greedy.

They opened their own school, talked down hers, and both ended tits up.

If I were to do it today, I'd go to the place I'm PMing you about and offer some of the English speaking locals a few hundred baht to teach you two dishes each day. After a week, you're set.

Most Thai food is actually quite simple to cook.

I'm not a cook, but my wife prefers to cook foreign food. Says it's easier to prepare and cook than Thai food! I guess getting all the ingredients together, cutting them up, etc, is a bit tough? She's quite the cook, BTW.

For a review on cooking classes, try trip advisor. Would be a good place to check out.

As for only going by plane, you'll really limit yourself. Some really great places are not available by plane only. Ban Kruit is a great example. Beautiful, quiet beach. Very few tourists. And lots of places to stay north and south of the "main" town. If you don't have transport, then stay in town (not the best beach) or just south. Easy to get to the main area for food by bicycle.

Another interesting area that's not too touristy is Chao Lao in Chantaburi. Not many western tourists, but quite a few Thai tourists.

Another thought came up. Khao Lak is quite nice. Some really high end resorts there and I'm sure you could find a cooking class there. Fantastic beaches.

I'm not a cook, but my wife prefers to cook foreign food. Says it's easier to prepare and cook than Thai food! I guess getting all the ingredients together, cutting them up, etc, is a bit tough? She's quite the cook, BTW.

For a review on cooking classes, try trip advisor. Would be a good place to check out.

As for only going by plane, you'll really limit yourself. Some really great places are not available by plane only. Ban Kruit is a great example. Beautiful, quiet beach. Very few tourists. And lots of places to stay north and south of the "main" town. If you don't have transport, then stay in town (not the best beach) or just south. Easy to get to the main area for food by bicycle.

Another interesting area that's not too touristy is Chao Lao in Chantaburi. Not many western tourists, but quite a few Thai tourists.

Another thought came up. Khao Lak is quite nice. Some really high end resorts there and I'm sure you could find a cooking class there. Fantastic beaches.

Thank you for your suggestions and time in response. Your information is valuable and helpful. =]