Vehicle discounts

Chongalulu

Although I did find a thread on this from last year has anyone any recent experience of discount levels achievable now. Shopped around in Phimai and Korat a few weeks ago and be it a CRV,MUX or D Max pickup there seemed to be only 20000 discount (plus free insurance and some accessories) which is pretty pathetic in % terms. I've decided a 4 door 3 litre manual pickup is the answer (circa 920000 baht) and with Toyota scheduled to bring out new model later this year (i need one now) that the Isuzu D max is probably the answer for longevity and depreciation. Not keen on buying a model (toyota) that will be superseded in a few months especially as there's precious little extra discount on offer just now (nor special finance deals) but I'm going to buy cash as the REAL interest rate when properly calculated is more like 5.8% rather than the circa 3% they quote (see vehicle finance topic I started and got answers to a couple of weeks ago rather than debate this issue).

I'm in Phimai (which has an Isuzu dealer) so Korat as big nearby city is feasible for sourcing otherwise I guess it's a long trek to Bangkok which if there were much better deals there would be worth it. Also wondered if the Korat Isuzu dealers were under the same ownership umbrella so wouldn't compete with each other?

Grateful for any guidance

Depending on how much you want to use it, the fuel consumption could be interesting to look at.

Most of the standard pick-ups and their SUV equivalents are gas guzzlers and rather low on safety.

The more economical cars are often terrible overpriced here.

I've done some looking around now and if I would replace my Vigo now I would buy a Mazda CX5 Diesel. It's in the same price range as the Fortuner, CRV, MUX, but has a lot better mileage and modern safety features that the others lack.

• Like 1

Depending on how much you want to use it, the fuel consumption could be interesting to look at.

Most of the standard pick-ups and their SUV equivalents are gas guzzlers and rather low on safety.

I've done some looking around now and if I would replace my Vigo now I would buy a Mazda CX5 Diesel. It's in the same price range as the Fortuner, CRV, MUX, but has a lot better mileage and modern safety features that the others lack.

I visited a Mazda dealer and whilst he didn't have one to look at the price is 1.6 million,which is significantly more than the others and would not put the brand,which is Ford oriented, on a par with Honda. I don't doubt it is a good vehicle and agree with you on fuel consumption issue but doubt I would recoup the extra cost notwithstanding the brand perception effect in a resale scenario. Yes,it's weirdly counterintuitive re the safety facts on a big SUVs vs cars. Thanks for your helpful and intelligent comment though

• Like 2

I visited a Mazda dealer and whilst he didn't have one to look at the price is 1.6 million,which is significantly more than the others and would not put the brand,which is Ford oriented, on a par with Honda. I don't doubt it is a good vehicle and agree with you on fuel consumption issue but doubt I would recoup the extra cost notwithstanding the brand perception effect in a resale scenario. Yes,it's weirdly counterintuitive re the safety facts on a big SUVs vs cars. Thanks for your helpful and intelligent comment though

It depends on how much you drive, for me at 50,000 or more km per year I would save up to 60,000 Baht per year compared to my Vigo now.

I had a test drive in the CX5 Diesel and it's a very good drive. At 1.6 million it's priced similar to western Europe as compared to other economic and safer cars that are assembled in Thailand like BMW and Mercedes that are twice the European price, they must be making great margins here because the Thai love to show off in these brands.

My experience with Honda on fuel is very bad, I made the mistake to buy a Honda City with 1.5 liter engine for my wife 2 years ago based on my assumption that Honda would have a modern and economic engine. With a mix of local and intercity use we are lucky if it runs 12 km on a liter making it more expensive than my 3 liter Vigo to run!

That's why I'm putting a lot more research in the future replacement of the Vigo.

A year ago here in Phuket I was shopping for same. 4-door automatic 4wd truck. I went to every manufacture of truck and spent hours talking. The most expensive was Isuzu. I ended up with the top of line Chevy for 901,000. Discounts are given based on the model and type of truck each manufacture has. Also, discounts come and go, might have one this month for a particular model and next week another. Its all about timing.

Don't believe the fuel consumption figures on the CX5. Once you go over 90 KPH they drop dramatically. I think you might get a better figure driving around town than on the motorway at 120KPH. Currently I get about 16 k to the L, I drive mostly out of Bangkok, at speed. The drive and handling is much superior to the big SUVs. A joy to drive and it is much bigger than it looks. I have not regretted changing from a MU7 to the CX5. In the MU7 I managed about 12 K per L. The most I got out of my 2WD Automatic was 14.7 K per L, but that was driving at 90 and being very careful

A year ago here in Phuket I was shopping for same. 4-door automatic 4wd truck. I went to every manufacture of truck and spent hours talking. The most expensive was Isuzu. I ended up with the top of line Chevy for 901,000. Discounts are given based on the model and type of truck each manufacture has. Also, discounts come and go, might have one this month for a particular model and next week another. Its all about timing.

I visited a Mazda dealer and whilst he didn't have one to look at the price is 1.6 million,which is significantly more than the others and would not put the brand,which is Ford oriented, on a par with Honda.

Ford orientated, what does this mean ?

• Like 1

I'd pretty much dismissed Chevrolet when I discovered their pricing was in a similar bracket to established brands. In UK Chevrolet cars were rebranded (horrible) Daewoos which were cheaper but had nil resale value. I'd have thought the brand here might also suffer,if not as much. I gather Ford prices don't hold up as well as Isuzu/Toyota and would put Chevrolet behind them. I've only been here 4 months so happy to be corrected

I visited a Mazda dealer and whilst he didn't have one to look at the price is 1.6 million,which is significantly more than the others and would not put the brand,which is Ford oriented, on a par with Honda.

Ford owns ( or part owns Mazda) which is why their pickups are the same with different badges

Im happy so far with a year old Chevy truck. No regrets what so ever. I went for the best deal I could get. I got the best one and it has served me well. Didnt care about resale as I dont plan on selling it anytime soon. When I went to Ford, they told me it would be a year to get the truck I wanted. That was a clear cut no. And from what Ive read about the Ford, I made the right decision.

Ford owns ( or part owns Mazda) which is why their pickups are the same with different badges

You should do some research on the Ford/Mazda relationship.

You will find there is very little, if any Ford content in a CX5.

My 2006 4 door Toyota Vigo 2.5 liter manual has never used more than 7 liters per 100 kilometers.. That makes it cheaper to run and maintain than my 2 liter 1995 toyota Corona which is on Lpg.. which uses 12 liters per 100 kilometers. Now as LPG goes up potentially to 17 baht a liter as the subsidy drops monthly and petrol/ diesel coming down the difference in Baht will be greater even still. Food for thought

My wife and I looked at the CX5 just before New Year. It looked quite nice ... plenty of room for golf clubs and suite cases in the rear if the seats are down. He said 18Km/Ltr yet reading most have been very disappointed with the consumption and earlier models had a big problem. I wonder if that 16Kl/Ltr stated above is actual or from the on board computer.

I much prefer being high up as in our D-Max and she decided that I would keep it for another 2 years sad.png but said if I wanted a new toy I could have an ECU re-mapthumbsup.gif ... getting it done next week smile.png

If you want 'honest' Km/Ltr figures look at www.fuelly.com I'm on there.

Mazda >> the brand,which is Ford oriented,<<. WHAT?

OR doesn't own any part at all. Where are you getting this nonsense??? wake up wake up.

OR doesn't own any part at all. Where are you getting this nonsense??? wake up wake up.

Ford still own 2.1%.

You didn't know that? Chevy is also Isuzu,

• Like 1

You didn't know that? Chevy is also Isuzu,

Isuzu is Chevy.

In correct in regards to Isuzu and Chevy relationship. To this very day, they share many parts. Of course you wont believe me even though I physically checked all the models when I was shopping last year....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_D-Max

Much like the BT50/Ranger part sharing that is as far as the relationship goes. To say Izuzu is Chev or vica versa is complete fairy land stuff.

GM dumped all of their Izuzu stock when they went bankrupt in 2008, only just recently have the 2 gone back into partnership and that is building the Duramax (DMax) engines and GM own 60% of that relationship.

In correct in regards to Isuzu and Chevy relationship. To this very day, they share many parts. Of course you wont believe me even though I physically checked all the models when I was shopping last year....

Much like the BT50/Ranger part sharing that is as far as the relationship goes. To say Izuzu is Chev or vica versa is complete fairy land stuff.

GM dumped all of their Izuzu stock when they went bankrupt in 2008, only just recently have the 2 gone back into partnership and that is building the Duramax (DMax) engines and GM own 60% of that relationship.

And your point is what? Mine is they both work together and have been for many years now. Nothing more, nothing less.

And your point is what? Mine is they both work together and have been for many years now. Nothing more, nothing less.

My point is Izuzu is not GM much like Mazda is not Ford.... and vica versa.

Yes they do share stuff on the pickup platforms but the relationship is not as kissy kissy as you try to make us believe.

Yes they do share stuff on the pickup platforms but the relationship is not as kissy kissy as you try to make us believe.

I drive a chevy colorado, the key and wheels have the isuzu logo on them.

What year model is you Colorado ?

What year model is you Colorado ?

2008. [emoji203]