Israeli leader faces pressure to cancel US Congress speech

webfact

Israeli leader faces pressure to cancel US Congress speech
By JOSEF FEDERMAN

JERUSALEM (AP) — A national leader's appearance before the U.S. Congress is usually a source of pride and unity. But Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's planned trip to Washington — opposed by the White House and many Democrats — has Israel in uproar.

The Israeli leader faces growing calls to cancel the visit as rivals accuse him of risking Israel's relations with the United States in hopes of winning extra votes in next month's Israeli parliamentary election.

But Netanyahu has shown no signs of backing down, saying Sunday he would "do everything" to prevent U.S.-led international negotiators from reaching a "bad and dangerous agreement" with Iran over its nuclear program.

The U.S. is Israel's closest and most important ally. While ties remain strong between the nations, relations between Netanyahu and President Barack Obama are another matter. The two have long had strained personal relations and differ on many policy issues, with Netanyahu favoring a more confrontational approach to his foes over Obama's inclination toward diplomacy and compromise.

The differences are especially glaring when it comes to the Iranian nuclear issue. Netanyahu has identified a nuclear-armed Iran as the single greatest threat to his country and says its nuclear program must be dismantled. Israeli pressure, featuring barely veiled threats to attack Iran if necessary, is credited by many here as having focused world attention on the issue and spurred economic sanctions against Iran.

Obama has vowed to prevent Iran from developing a bomb but has signaled he's willing to tolerate certain activities, such as uranium enrichment, a technology that Israel fears could quickly be diverted for weapons use. The U.S. and five global partners hope to reach a preliminary deal with Iran by March.

Cabinet Minister Yisrael Katz, a member of Netanyahu's Likud Party, acknowledged differences between Netanyahu and Obama over Iran. "Netanyahu feels that he has been fighting for years and now we are nearing a critical moment," Katz told Channel 2 TV.

Fearful that Obama is about to reach a "bad deal," Netanyahu jumped at the opportunity to address a joint session of Congress on March 3, two weeks before Israel's general election. The invitation was issued by the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner, and engineered by Netanyahu's ambassador to Washington, Ron Dermer, a former Republican operative.

The decision has triggered an outpouring of anger in both countries.

The White House views the planned visit as a breach of protocol, because it was not coordinated well ahead of time with the U.S. administration, which learned about it just before it was made public. The White House also cited the close proximity of the election as the reason Obama wouldn't meet Netanyahu, saying the president wanted to avoid the appearance of taking sides.

U.S. officials also fear that the speech could upset the delicate talks with Iran. Several Democrats have said they would skip the speech, while others, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, have suggested that Netanyahu should postpone it.

Biden's office said the vice president would miss the address. Despite the stated American intention to stay out of Israeli domestic politics, Biden found the time to meet Netanyahu's chief rival, Israeli opposition leader Isaac Herzog, on the sidelines of a security conference in Germany.

Abe Foxman, director of the Anti-Defamation League, a leading Jewish American group, has urged Netanyahu to call off the visit. The pro-Israel lobby group AIPAC also has reservations because it is turning into a partisan event, according to a person involved in U.S.-Israel relations. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter with the media.

Israeli leaders across the political spectrum almost universally support Netanyahu's tough line toward Iran. But many opposition figures, including Herzog, have criticized Netanyahu's handling of the congressional speech, describing it as a cheap election stunt that would only undermine support for Israel in Washington.

Herzog's running mate, former Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, said Netanyahu was damaging ties with the U.S. "for the sake of an election speech." Yair Lapid, leader of the centrist Yesh Atid party, said Netanyahu was causing "serious damage" to American ties and urged him to stay home.

Even some of Netanyahu's sympathizers are saying he's misjudged the situation.

"You're right, but don't go," said the headline in a front-page commentary by columnist Ben-Dror Yemini in the Yediot Ahronot daily. "Obama is wrong and you're right. But if there is any chance of budging him from his position, then you are making every possible mistake and turning him into an adversary."

Michael Oren, who served as Netanyahu's ambassador to Washington until 2013, said that if he were still in the post, he would have advised his boss not to address Congress.

"The last thing you want is for support of the Jewish state to become the monopoly of one party," said Oren, who is now running for parliament with a newly formed centrist party. He said Netanyahu would do better to deliver his speech to the annual conference of AIPAC, which is attended by many members of congress. "You get the same effect without running the same risk," he told The Associated Press.

Alon Pinkas, a former Israeli consul-general in New York, called the planned visit a "horrendous idea" that demonstrated how poor Netanyahu's relationship with Obama has become.

Yet he argued that the uproar did serve Netanyahu's ambition to remain prime minister by focusing public debate on Iran — and away from domestic bread-and-butter issues that hurt his party's chances of retaining power. Recent polls predict a tight race.

"This is not about Iran," he said. "This is 100 percent about elections."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-09

You can try and defend the warmonger as much as you like but his moves are causing waves.

This from the UK Guardian.

The Israeli ambassador to Switzerland and a diplomat in India have been called home over comments critical of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, the foreign ministry said on Thursday.

Among the alleged infractions was a retweet by Ambassador Yigal Caspi, citing criticism of Netanyahus accepting a controversial invitation to address the US Congress over Irans nuclear policy.

Every time one thinks Netanyahu has taken the relationship with the White House to the lowest point ever, he manages to take it even lower, said a tweet by Haaretz newspaper writer Barak Ravid, reposted on Caspis private Twitter account before it was closed.

Foreign ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nachshon told AFP that Caspi and Assaf Moran, political counsellor at the embassy in Delhi, had been called home.

They have been summoned to a hearing in order to check the comments attributed to them on their Twitter accounts.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/05/israel-switzerland-india-diplomats-recalled-tweets-netanyahu

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 2

You can try and defend the warmonger as much as you like but his moves are causing waves.

The Israeli ambassador to Switzerland and a diplomat in India have been called home over comments critical of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, the foreign ministry said on Thursday.

Among the alleged infractions was a retweet by Ambassador Yigal Caspi, citing criticism of Netanyahus accepting a controversial invitation to address the US Congress over Irans nuclear policy.

Every time one thinks Netanyahu has taken the relationship with the White House to the lowest point ever, he manages to take it even lower, said a tweet by Haaretz newspaper writer Barak Ravid, reposted on Caspis private Twitter account before it was closed.

Foreign ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nachshon told AFP that Caspi and Assaf Moran, political counsellor at the embassy in Delhi, had been called home.

They have been summoned to a hearing in order to check the comments attributed to them on their Twitter accounts.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/05/israel-switzerland-india-diplomats-recalled-tweets-netanyahu

Is Israel also know for their attitude adjustments?

If diplomats from any country put comments on social media criticizing their countries current government or senior member of that government, don't you think they'd be recalled for 'talks"?

What would happen if a US diplomat did the same and criticized Obama?

• Like 2

Haaratz hardly represents all of the "Jewish press". It is a left-wing newspaper that many people don't have a high opinion of.

Netanyahu says he is going ahead and speaking and I think that he should. Screw Obama.

Netanyahu: I will go to Congress like I went to Paris to speak for all Jews

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.641515

So you claim Haaratz not to be a credible source, next use a link to a Haaratz article to make your point ?

Brush up on your reading skills. I did NOT say that it is not a credible source. I said that Haaratz hardly represents all of the "Jewish press". There is a BIG difference. whistling.gif

By your standards that must be the right wing press that parrots Netanyahu's warmongering and threats as reasonable.

I cannot imagine any world leader (ie., German Chancellor Merkel) making arrangements to speak before the Kenesset without first notifying and coordinating with the Israeli Prime Minister or President. But at least with Netanyahu's planned speech to the US Congress without following similar protocol with the US President, Netanyahu reinforces the idea that Obama is not under Israeli control in negotiations with Iran. When israel disagrees with US policy, such policy must be pursued with great vigor!

I would love to see the headlines and rants on here if Merkel addressed the Knesset without Netanyahu's approval.

I cannot imagine any world leader (ie., German Chancellor Merkel) making arrangements to speak before the Kenesset without first notifying and coordinating with the Israeli Prime Minister or President. But at least with Netanyahu's planned speech to the US Congress without following similar protocol with the US President, Netanyahu reinforces the idea that Obama is not under Israeli control in negotiations with Iran. When israel disagrees with US policy, such policy must be pursued with great vigor!

I would love to see the headlines and rants on here if Merkel addressed the Knesset without Netanyahu's approval.

It couldn't conceivably happen in any sovereign country.

I am a supporter of Israel and its unique situation in the world and the horrendous past history of the crimes committed against the Jewish people. I am also conservative and far from a fan of Obama, however this close to an election in Israel I do not think the US House of Representatives should be the platform for a campaign speech. It will polarize much of the American public and Israeli public one way or the other, and good for neither of the close allies.

• Like 1

Haaratz hardly represents all of the "Jewish press". It is a left-wing newspaper that many people don't have a high opinion of.

Netanyahu says he is going ahead and speaking and I think that he should. Screw Obama.

Netanyahu: I will go to Congress like I went to Paris – to speak for all Jews

He didn't go to Paris to speak for all Jews.

Sure he did and he did a great job of it.

“Today I walked the streets of Paris with the leaders of the world, to say enough terrorism; the time has come to fight terrorism,” Netanyahu said to the crowd of hundreds of French Jews.

Before he spoke, numerous senior political figures, from French President Francois Hollande to Prime Minister Manuel Valls and former French president Nicolas Sarkozy, came to the ceremony.

They were there when members of the community lit 17 candles for the victims, both Jews and gentiles, of last week’s terrorist attacks.

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/WATCH-LIVE-Hollande-Netanyahu-at-Paris-synagogue-for-memorial-service-387401

Seems he is upsetting everyone reading the Jewish press.

This from Haaratz.

Unknowingly, Netanyahu has become the Iranians secret weapon. If he didn't exist, the Iranians would have to invent him. Destroying the strategic alliance with America would be a real existential threat to Israel, but so far, hes much closer to leaving scorched earth in Washington than he is to stopping Irans centrifuges. In this situation, Iranian leaders dont have to do a thing but sit in front of the television, eat popcorn and laugh.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.641327

Most of the Israeli press is not overly supportive of Netanyahu, nothing new here.

The main exception would be Israel Hayom, owned by GOP heavy-weight backer Sheldon Adelson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_HaYom

How much Israeli main stream press represents public opinion is another issue. A standard complaint is that the media conveys an exaggerated feeling of anti-Netanyahu which fails to represent the actual support he commands. This is especially poignant during election campaigns.

So you claim Haaratz not to be a credible source, next use a link to a Haaratz article to make your point ?coffee1.gif

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

thumbsup.gif

Well, if it makes Obama seem more independent of "Israeli control" that ought to make negotiations with the Iranians easier, right?

When Israel disagrees with US policy, such policy must be pursued with great vigor!

Sounds like a pretty simple minded rule of a thumb. One would think that there are no instances were the interests of the two countries meet.

• Like 1

Spot on... and Boehner should register as a lobbyist for a foreign government.

Would be a safer bet both Netanyahu and Boehner listen carefully to the same guy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Adelson

It is not a campaign speech It is an attempt to to stop Obama from giving away the store to Iran, before it is too late. The clock is ticking.

It is a campaign speech by virtue of Netanyahu being the speaker. All of his speeches are elections speeches, even when there are no elections on.

It is also a speech which falls in line with his political views and personal crusade. That too is true.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

The notion that Netanyahu's rhetoric will save the day is plain hubris.

“Today I walked the streets of Paris with the leaders of the world, to say enough terrorism; the time has come to fight terrorism,” Netanyahu said to the crowd of hundreds of French Jews.

Before he spoke, numerous senior political figures, from French President Francois Hollande to Prime Minister Manuel Valls and former French president Nicolas Sarkozy, came to the ceremony.

Hollande left WHEN he got up to speak.

Bit of a message there: Do your electioneering at home.

Obviously Boehner didn't get it.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

So you claim Haaratz not to be a credible source, next use a link to a Haaratz article to make your point ?

thumbsup.gif

Another one who needs to brush up on his reading and vocabulary skills. Saying that Haaratz hardly represents all of the "Jewish press" is not a claim that they are not credible. giggle.gif

They were there when members of the community lit 17 candles for the victims, both Jews and gentiles, of last week’s terrorist attacks.

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/WATCH-LIVE-Hollande-Netanyahu-at-Paris-synagogue-for-memorial-service-387401

It was an embarrassment to Israel.

Chicog post is the short version of the diplomatic fiasco.

The general reactions in Israel were not really favorable.

As for speaking for all Jews, and that sort of thing - Netanyahu often says that.

Then again, he is not the representative of all Jews, but the temporary representative of Israel.

There are few accounts of the ceremony in question - and some interesting clips.

Hollande did not appreciate Netanyahu calling the Jews to leave France, the French Jews ended the the event with a loud and spontaneous singing of La Marseillaise, much to Netanyahu's chagrin.

More like an embarrassment to the left, but that is to be expected.

For most Israelis, watching Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Paris over the past few days was another reminder of the dignity that Netanyahu has brought to Israel in the world abroad, in spite of the inhospitable treatment Israel is shown.

But somehow, the Left, inhabiting some planet other than our own – one ruled by Isaac Herzog, Tzipi Livni and Yair Lapid and where propaganda like Israel Hayom is banned – Netanyahu’s trip has been a public relations disaster for Israel.

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/For-Zions-sake-Netanyahu-in-Paris-pushing-Israels-dignity-to-the-front-row-387756

More like an embarrassment to the left, but that is to be expected.

For most Israelis, watching Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Paris over the past few days was another reminder of the dignity that Netanyahu has brought to Israel in the world abroad, in spite of the inhospitable treatment Israel is shown.

But somehow, the Left, inhabiting some planet other than our own – one ruled by Isaac Herzog, Tzipi Livni and Yair Lapid and where propaganda like Israel Hayom is banned – Netanyahu’s trip has been a public relations disaster for Israel.

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/For-Zions-sake-Netanyahu-in-Paris-pushing-Israels-dignity-to-the-front-row-387756

Sure that you missed the last line in the opinion column:

The writer is an attorney, a Likud Central Committee member and director of Likud Anglos.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1