pay visa run or pay fine on exit?

My current visa runs out on the 15ht of Feb, I understand that I can get a 7 day extension...my flight home to the UK is the 1st of March...I'm working out whether I'd be better off paying the fine on exit 500baht x 7= 3,500baht, or paying to do a visa run...If theres no detriment other than paying the fine I'd rather do that...any advice please?

What kind of visa do you have now?

If you have a 30 day visa exempt entry you can extend it for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

A border run from Bangkok to Cambodia only costs 2300 baht. You would get a 30 day entry since you are from the UK (G7 rule).

I cannot recommend overstaying. There is always the risk of getting caught wit it.

• Like 1

What kind of visa do you have now?

If you have a 30 day visa exempt entry you can extend it for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

A border run from Bangkok to Cambodia only costs 2300 baht. You would get a 30 day entry since you are from the UK (G7 rule).

I cannot recommend overstaying. There is always the risk of getting caught wit it.

Or even Bangkok to Cambodia by train at only 44 baht ( 2 trains a day ) why risk your life in a minivan and when you can do it yourself and great fun too!

F.J wai2.gif

• Like 1

Ubonjoe- wasn't aware it was now 30 days on an extension...Where can I get that done please?

Canarysun- are the trains less riskier that the mini vans? Sounds great for 44baht !

Not sure what you mean by an extension.

You can extend a 30 day visa exempt entry you got on entry to the country for 30 days at any immigration office if you have a local address to put on the application form.

you can extend your tourist visa for another 30 days at any immigration office for 1900 baht providing you put your address on the form where you are staying at. it is quick and easy to do DO NOT risk overstaying as if you get pulled by the police and they find out you are an overstayer you will be arrested and put in the IDC till your fine is payed and then u ill be deportedf

Ubonjoe- wasn't aware it was now 30 days on an extension...Where can I get that done please?

Canarysun- are the trains less riskier that the mini vans? Sounds great for 44baht !

Hello!

I refuse to use these minivans " anything that moves on thai roads is a death trap " There are two trains a day out of Hua Lampong railway station 05.55 and i think it arrives at 11.30 at a cost of 48 baht ( The trains are safe,slow and fabulous scenery en route! You will of course have to pay a visa fee at the Cambodia Border.Many people are now doing the Visa runs themselves,especially the Laos trip which has always been a complete " rip off " when the train is ridiculously cheap and much more of an adventure!

There is never a rush in life for anything so why not take a bit longer and explore these wonderful countries!

F.J wai2.gif

I couldn't agree more, visa runs are a 'rip off' and a round trip by minivan....I'll say no more.

I do my three monthly visa runs by air either a daily round trip to KL or to Mae Sai via Chiang Rai. Depending on the time of travel, the airfare can work out cheaper than a visa run by minivan.

End March have already booked a flight to Chiang Rai but certainly I'll give the train a go to Cambodia in Sept. You say you'd pay the visa fee at the border but would the trip include an overnight stay or would you be able to return say day?

Hello!

I refuse to use these minivans " anything that moves on thai roads is a death trap " There are two trains a day out of Hua Lampong railway station 05.55 and i think it arrives at 11.30 at a cost of 48 baht ( The trains are safe,slow and fabulous scenery en route! You will of course have to pay a visa fee at the Cambodia Border.Many people are now doing the Visa runs themselves,especially the Laos trip which has always been a complete " rip off " when the train is ridiculously cheap and much more of an adventure!

There is never a rush in life for anything so why not take a bit longer and explore these wonderful countries!

F.J wai2.gif

I couldn't agree more, visa runs are a 'rip off' and a round trip by minivan....I'll say no more.

I do my three monthly visa runs by air either a daily round trip to KL or to Mae Sai via Chiang Rai. Depending on the time of travel, the airfare can work out cheaper than a visa run by minivan.

End March have already booked a flight to Chiang Rai but certainly I'll give the train a go to Cambodia in Sept. You say you'd pay the visa fee at the border but would the trip include an overnight stay or would you be able to return say day?

No, I think the train you're referring to goes to Poipet. I'll stick to flying.

Enjoy.

My current visa runs out on the 15ht of Feb

Are you referring to a tourist visa or did you get a visa exempt entry when you entered the country?

If a tourist visa, there is a "use bY" or expiry date on the visa you got at an embassy or consulate and then there is the "must leave by" date on the hand stamp you got at immigrations when you entered the country. It's the date on the permission to stay stamp you got at immigrations that's important.

Either a tourist visa entry or visa exempt entry can be extended one time for 30 days at an immigrations office.

As others have said, remaining in the country illegally beyond your permission to stay involves risks that are not worth taking.

you can extend your tourist visa for another 30 days at any immigration office for 1900 baht providing you put your address on the form where you are staying at. it is quick and easy to do DO NOT risk overstaying as if you get pulled by the police and they find out you are an overstayer you will be arrested and put in the IDC till your fine is payed and then u ill be deportedf

A common mistake thinking this will be the case.

You will not be deported, if you are not wanted by the police. The fine is 3000 bath, and you will be detained at the IDC until you can pay for or show a ticket to your home country. If by any reason you want to, you can stay prisonised there for the rest of your life. Thailand doesn`t care, and will do nothing for you.

Off topic really, but I recommend not overstaying. That should be the last option.

Edited by thaibreaker

The detriment is if you are required to show your passport to police etc in the interim days you are on overstay. They would make those remaining days uncomfortable for you perhaps in a detention centre. Chances are slim, but....

Do the right thing to stay 'legal'.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

As a general rule, you should NEVER EVER to overstay a nations visa OR to allow your passport to go into expiration. This cannot be stressed emphatically enough.

You put at risk, your ability to obtain a long term visa ANYWHERE where nations share diplomatic protocols, thats for a start. Even if you go to a different nation other then the one you overstay, that overstay is a part of your record on a computer somewhere. You will come under review and scrutiny of other nations as they search their computer records. Want to risk that? I don't. After that, then you face an uncertain future that your passport might not be renewed and then you are stuck and cannot move to where the good paying or interesting jobs are at.

The USA routinely lifts passport of citizens who get in trouble with the law, ie. felons. or those who are in arrears in child support payments. To say I am not a felon, or that I'm a good guy in the eyes of the laws of my nation, your conduct in a foreign country might be grounds where the nation that you are a citizen of, will not renew your passport. There will always be anecdotal remembrances of how this person or that person suffered no detrimental consequences. Ultimately, not every one is so *lucky* to escape what your own country can do to you. In my mind, future proof your ability to travel freely globally, get into compliance by what ever means possible. Just my 2 cents worth.

I can only agree with the good advice given here, on my second visit to Thailand I was advised by "a good friend" and the local immigration "do not worry, just pay the fine, at the airport, it is cheap, and simple" SIMPLE??? no, I was given a real grilling, locked in a room by immigration, I was detained for 2 hours, they took all of my Thai money (about 6000 Thai Baht) and this was all because of one day over my time, they also stamped my passport as an over stayer, needless to say, I would not do it again as I very nearly missed my flight. As for the border runs, great busses, good food free with 1st Class Visa Runs, but the driver was a pure suicide jockey, I would never use again, the local train service sounds like a much better option, I was lucky this time as I am in Phetchabun and I got the bus to Phitsanulok, went to the immigration, cost me 2000 Baht and got another 30 days plus some great scenery on the way over the top.

Overstay is always recorded in the passport.

At an airport a 1 day overstay is not charged, but does get recorded. The fine for overstay is 500 a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Guess I don't have to ask if you got an official reciept with 6,000 baht on it for the fine.

I have a similar situation. My son is from America and is visiting me in Samut Prakarn. He's on a 30 day visa exempt due to expire on the 12th of this month (2 more days). But I want to be clear on what I'm reading above (in the off chance that I happen to have a brain fart). To conclude, a visa exempt can be extended at immigration in Samut Prakarn as long as he is able to provide a local address (which would be my residence) and not, say, a hotel.

Also, I want to confirm that if he would want to stay beyond the 30 day extension that he could then do a border run to Cambodia and receive another 30 days since he is from a G-7 country. And furthermore, how often would he be able to do border runs? Ideally, he'd like to stay for 6 months.

And I may as well ask now, if he needed to fly out to apply for a 60-day tourist visa would that be possible and what destinations are available? Laos would be convenient as I've gone before (last time was to apply for a tourist visa back in Oct. '12).

Thanks in advance and thanks also to the other posters for providing excellent information.

Cheers,

Tip

No, as you say, you don't have to ask, but so often is the case in dealing with a problem in many countries, you are at the mercy of people in authority, and their is only one way out, after this little adventure I do everything by the book, not that it will stop all corruption but I just do as much as I can to lessen the chance of getting caught up in it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hello!

F.J wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

The train sounds interesting. Where do you board the train? Can you get on the train anywhere near Pattaya? Where in Cambodia does the train take you, Pnom Phen? Is it possible to take a train to go to Anchor Wat? thanks for replies.

Edited by Jimbolai

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hello!

F.J wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

The train sounds interesting. Where do you board the train? Can you get on the train anywhere near Pattaya? Where in Cambodia does the train take you, Pnom Phen? Is it possible to take a train to go to Anchor Wat? thanks for replies.

There is one train a day that links Pattaya to Bangkok's main and " seriously cool " Hua Lampong station ( with smelly toilets....) The train departs Pattaya daily Mon to Friday at 14.20 to Hua Lampong and there are 2 trains daily to Cambodia,it takes you to a few kilometers from the border ( The train is extremely popular with illegal Cambodian workers ... ) There are only 2 trains a day at a cost of just a cool 48 baht ( ordinary train )

* It should be noted that if you require a " Gypsies Kiss " at Hua Lampong station then there will be an additional cost of 2 baht ...)

F.J at your service viewers.....wai2.gif

I have a similar situation. My son is from America and is visiting me in Samut Prakarn. He's on a 30 day visa exempt due to expire on the 12th of this month (2 more days). But I want to be clear on what I'm reading above (in the off chance that I happen to have a brain fart). To conclude, a visa exempt can be extended at immigration in Samut Prakarn as long as he is able to provide a local address (which would be my residence) and not, say, a hotel.

Also, I want to confirm that if he would want to stay beyond the 30 day extension that he could then do a border run to Cambodia and receive another 30 days since he is from a G-7 country. And furthermore, how often would he be able to do border runs? Ideally, he'd like to stay for 6 months.

And I may as well ask now, if he needed to fly out to apply for a 60-day tourist visa would that be possible and what destinations are available? Laos would be convenient as I've gone before (last time was to apply for a tourist visa back in Oct. '12).

Thanks in advance and thanks also to the other posters for providing excellent information.

Cheers,

Tip

If the Son wishes to stay for 6 months he needs to acquire a double entry Tourist visa from one of the Laos Thai Consulates.

Border running is not an option for him.

Cheers,

Tip

He can get the 30 day extension without a problem

He might not be able to get another visa exempt entry after the extension. Some crossing have turned people away.

If he wants to stay for 6 months it would be better if he got a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos. If he could get organized today to be in Vientiane on the morning of the 12th that would better that getting the extension. The 1900 baht for the extension could be used for the trip.

Hello!

F.J wai2.gif

Thank you kindly for that information Canarysun. I'm retired here myself so don't do Visa runs but go on regular holiday trips with "she who must be obeyed". I have always threatened to go on a train journey since coming to Thailand 13 years ago but never got round to it. We are taking another trip this week or next week and didn't know where to go as we have been all around Thailand a couple of times already. You have just given us this great idea. My wife told me to not forget to get my re-entry permit this time ( was queuing up in the airport a couple of years ago at the passport control when I realized I had forgotten it).

Thanks again, (might bump into you on the 11.30)

Simple math ...

Arrival in Thailand without a Visa -- one is granted an Exemption for 30 days stay.

A Single Entry Tourist Visa is good for 60 days stay.

Extending the length of stay ... number of days:

- Exemption of 30 days ..... can be Extended for another 30 days at the local immigration office

... 30 + 30 = 60 days

- Single Entry Tourist Visa of 60 days... can be Extended for another 30 days at the local immigration office

... 60 + 30 = 90 days.

(Notice the words ... Exemption ..... and Extension)

Simple math ...

Arrival in Thailand without a Visa -- one is granted an Exemption for 30 days stay.

A Single Entry Tourist Visa is good for 60 days stay.

Extending the length of stay ... number of days:

- Exemption of 30 days ..... can be Extended for another 30 days at the local immigration office

... 30 + 30 = 60 days

- Single Entry Tourist Visa of 60 days... can be Extended for another 30 days at the local immigration office

... 60 + 30 = 90 days.

(Notice the words ... Exemption ..... and Extension)

If the Son wishes to stay for 6 months he needs to acquire a double entry Tourist visa from one of the Laos Thai Consulates.

Border running is not an option for him.

He can get the 30 day extension without a problem

He might not be able to get another visa exempt entry after the extension. Some crossing have turned people away.

If he wants to stay for 6 months it would be better if he got a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos. If he could get organized today to be in Vientiane on the morning of the 12th that would better that getting the extension. The 1900 baht for the extension could be used for the trip.

Thanks JDGRUEN, nzexpat and ubonjoe. A six month stay would total 180 days. I've figured it out as follows:

30-day visa exempt

30-day extension at local immigration office

60-day tourist visa applied for in Vientiane

30-day extension at local immigration office

30-day extension at local immigration office (U.S. citizens are allowed 2-extensions based on information supplied by the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok website).

Total = 180 days

So I'm curious as to why it would be better to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane rather than a 30-day extension on the visa exempt? I would think that it would be better to take advantage of the 30-day extension on the visa expempt and then apply for a 60-day tourist visa with 2-extensions. Of course, I don't claim to know for certain otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

Another point that both nzexpat and ubonjoe brought up was a double entry tourist visa. How would a double entry be an advantage to extending your stay?

Flights are available to Vientiane on Nok Air so I can still choose that option.

Cheers,

Tip

That US Embassy site is wrong !

A TV can only be extended by 30 days once !

Supposedly the U.S. has a special arrangement with Thailand. Has that been nixed? How to verify the accuracy? I guess we could take a run to the U.S. Embassy and find out from the horse's mouth. If it's not possible to extend twice then I guess my son would have to apply for another tourist visa? Don't know about that.

What about the double entry you had mentioned, nzexpat? Why a double entry?

If you wish to check how many extensions are permitted it may be best if you were to ask Thai immigration ---- they are the people who know !

A single entry TV provides for one entry to Thailand with a permitted length of stay amounting to 60 days which may be extended by 30 days for a total of 90 days at which point the country must be exited.

If a double entry visa is held exiting Thailand and returning provides another 60+30 days !

90+90= 180 !

Edited by nzexpat

Supposedly the U.S. has a special arrangement with Thailand. Has that been nixed? How to verify the accuracy? I guess we could take a run to the U.S. Embassy and find out from the horse's mouth. If it's not possible to extend twice then I guess my son would have to apply for another tourist visa? Don't know about that.

There is no special arrangement for tourist visa entry extension for those from any country. Just an error on the website.

If would not have to go back for a 2nd tourist visa. He can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane. Each entry will give a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

There is no special arrangement for tourist visa entry extension for those from any country. Just an error on the website.

If would not have to go back for a 2nd tourist visa. He can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane. Each entry will give a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Why that's the thing of beauty we were looking for, nzexpat and ubonjoe. Sorry if I appeared to be a bit dense at first but I see very clearly now. Many, many thanks.

Cheers,

Tip

Edited by Tippaporn